Proposed Forum Restructuring

Limitless said:
Shoddy is the exact same as Wifi battling, except for the fact that you don't have lag. It is in no way cheating if everyone's Pokemon have the same IV's, but I guess if you actually wanted an unfair advantage... We prefer Shoddy because you can do more battles in an allotted period of time. This will thus make our battlers more competitive due to the larger influx in battles taking place. I would suggest that you try Shoddy out first, before being prejudice to programs that you obviously haven't tried out yourself.

I prefer Wi-Fi and you can't voice Chat on shoddy. Not everyone that I know uses skype at all. The friends that I have here except for you and Valk don't use skype for Voice Chatting. They all use their DS because their computers can't handle skype. It is a great way to chat but most computer from 2003 and beforehand can't handle it because of the RAM capacity that they can work on.
When I still had my DS, the chatting capabilities were pretty crappy.

We have to focus on making Wi-Fi and Shoddy equal or we will loose over half the members here. The fact that our clan is still alive is because we are the fortunate and very luck ones I might add because it is a Wi-Fi only clan. Yours had both and I don't know why it is locked but so far we are the only ones standing in the Battle Stadium.

You're the only ones standing because we're trying to faze all of them out. Our intent is to get everyone to join Team PokeBeach. Also, if we lose the majority of our Wifi battlers, then good. Over 95% of them don't battle competitively, and we really are trying to persuade everyone to that direction. If battlers are not competitive, then we often times get more spam posts. However, our overall goal is not to just drive the Wifi people out, for we actually do want them to move over to Shoddy. In all honesty, it is the exact same as Wifi, just in a faster speed. Once you get used to it, there really is no difference.

There is one big problem if you drive everyone to shoddy because I can't be on the computer for battle requests. If someone asks me for a battle I will never be able to because I am only here at night most of the time. So it would be best to keep DS Wi-Fi as well as Shoddy. If everyone is driven to shoddy I will never be able to battle anymore with the members I have been battling for the last year and a half. Voice Chatting is not crappy. Sure there will be interferance because of storms and what not but try and make this forum both Shoddy and DS Wi-Fi because I don't have my own computer and I am not going to install shoddy because we already have enough cookies and other things on this one and I will not be able to use a program that is being more supported than the DS. I hope you guys can make it so both DS and Shoddy are supported. Phazing out DS Wi-Fi is not a good idea. Just make it so it is equal. Why can't that be done so those that can't use Shoddy can use their DS. I would do it if I had my own forum. A lot of members will be hurt and left in the dust if the DS Wi-Fi is Phased out. Those that use Shoddy great that is fine but Phasing out the DS Wi-Fi will not help anyone that has a DS. I will not be able to battle if it is phased out for battiling. Basically what it means you guys are trying to phase it out so the members are left in the dust and the DS is the only thing I have to talk to members here. I cannot be here for shoddy so I hope you don't drive members to use Shoddy all the time. I really hope you guys think twice before doing this because I really don't want that to happen. Thanks. I just hope the DS Wi-Fi is still going to stay because that is all I have to battle trade and Voice Chat. I have nothing if you guys take away the DS Wi-Fi and drive members to join a clan that supports a program that I cannot use on my computer. Well actually the families computer. I hope it is kept equal. That is all I ask for you guys to do. Thanks.:(:)

Blue Thunder said:
Yes, I knew that feature had already existed. My main reason for stating that, however, is that the idea would still be kept. Restricting the authors of articles to Strategists or whoever would massively slow down production of them, and normal members wouldn't feel like they are not contributing to anything at all.

Hmm, I haven't really seen any Strategists polishing up articles. Rather, I see the community making suggestions for the article, which of course could relate to spelling and grammar issues. However, I haven't really been in Canalave Library much, so I can't entirely speak for what happens there.

However, I like that idea of Strategists filling that role, if they haven't already.

So, let's go over an overall look of how this might possibly work:

-Any member can post an article in Canalave Library/Article Submissions
-Strategists decide whether this article should go on the front page or not, and also polish the article up
-A link to the article is featured on the main page, if it is not possible to put the article up as a whole on the website.

Sounds OK to me...it takes the current system in a good direction, IMO.

So basically all of the Strategists are doing all of the article-on-front page work? Didn't they do that before? Anyways, I like the idea but we currently have so little Strategists (I do believe.) If this does happen, then we might need some more active Strategists. I understand that WPM has to make it so that some mods/whatever can access the front page to his liking, so it might take some time. But still, I do think it would be a good idea to give the writers some credit for what they wrote.

xxashxx said:
There is one big problem if you drive everyone to shoddy because I can't be on the computer for battle requests. If someone asks me for a battle I will never be able to because I am only here at night most of the time. So it would be best to keep DS Wi-Fi as well as Shoddy. If everyone is driven to shoddy I will never be able to battle anymore with the members I have been battling for the last year and a half.

What you basically said there, was for your self-benefit. You never gave any consideration about expanding the gaming community here. Shoddy is very reliable in honing skills. Just because you can't find time to battle on Shoddy, that doesn't mean that we have to be dragged down.

xxashxx said:
I would do it if I had my own forum. A lot of members will be hurt and left in the dust if the DS Wi-Fi is Phased out. Those that use Shoddy great that is fine but Phasing out the DS Wi-Fi will not help anyone that has a DS. I will not be able to battle if it is phased out for battiling. I cannot be here for shoddy so I hope you don't drive members to use Shoddy all the time. I really hope you guys think twice before doing this because I really don't want that to happen.

Again, most of it is about you not being able to battle. If you truely want to battle, you would do well in finding time to do so. I have a DS, and Shoddy is definitely boosting my chances of getting more games in on average.

By 'A lot of members will be hurt and left in the dust', how many do you mean exactly? If you can list out at least, the very least, 25 people at minimum, then that's considered a lot, even though is pretty much nothing compared to those whom play on Shoddy.

What I'm seeing here, is you fighting for yourself to get battles, rather than taking into conderation about the forums. Look at how many people play Shoddy and look at how much they've improved. If you really need to play on WiFi, use the PM System, it's as simple as that.

Gliscor said:
So basically all of the Strategists are doing all of the article-on-front page work? Didn't they do that before? Anyways, I like the idea but we currently have so little Strategists (I do believe.) If this does happen, then we might need some more active Strategists. I understand that WPM has to make it so that some mods/whatever can access the front page to his liking, so it might take some time. But still, I do think it would be a good idea to give the writers some credit for what they wrote.

No, they wrote articles for the main page. They NEVER actually put it on the front page. A loooong time ago, their used to be a few teams of strategists, and they would write an article about a certain card. A article or two would go up every week. IMO, we need to have something like that again.

No, Strategists aren't the only ones who the write the articles. (I could be misinterpreting what you said, however) The general member population could write an article whenever they pleased. The Strategists, however, would have two functions:

a) deem if an article (Both VG and TCG) is front-page material
b) If A happens, then they would clean up any possible errors or fix up spelling and grammar

WPM would then post a LINK to the article, or do something like the Gym does with their articles. (Post the first few sentences, and then a link to the article that says, "Read More") We don't really need to give the moderators any special access to the main page. (Though I believe a few (if not all) super moderators already have this power.)

Of course the writers would get credit. After all, the strategists only cleaned up the article. (Though it should be noted that they can write articles, too.)

ArmaldoEX said:
What you basically said there, was for your self-benefit. You never gave any consideration about expanding the gaming community here. Shoddy is very reliable in honing skills. Just because you can't find time to battle on Shoddy, that doesn't mean that we have to be dragged down.

xxashxx said:
I would do it if I had my own forum. A lot of members will be hurt and left in the dust if the DS Wi-Fi is Phased out. Those that use Shoddy great that is fine but Phasing out the DS Wi-Fi will not help anyone that has a DS. I will not be able to battle if it is phased out for battiling. I cannot be here for shoddy so I hope you don't drive members to use Shoddy all the time. I really hope you guys think twice before doing this because I really don't want that to happen.

Again, most of it is about you not being able to battle. If you truely want to battle, you would do well in finding time to do so. I have a DS, and Shoddy is definitely boosting my chances of getting more games in on average.

By 'A lot of members will be hurt and left in the dust', how many do you mean exactly? If you can list out at least, the very least, 25 people at minimum, then that's considered a lot, even though is pretty much nothing compared to those whom play on Shoddy.

What I'm seeing here, is you fighting for yourself to get battles, rather than taking into conderation about the forums. Look at how many people play Shoddy and look at how much they've improved. If you really need to play on WiFi, use the PM System, it's as simple as that.

No it is not just me. I know at least 25 that don't have shoddy or can handle it on their computer

Here is a list

1. Me
2. Echosong
3. InuMimi
4. Magus' Child
5. Lcristia
6. Kurama when he is here anyway
7. Quatra
8. Light Venusaur
9. Flight_Of_Ho-oh
10. renzamil when he is here
11. Forum Shark
12. Darkrai's Nightmares
13. Jahllar
14. Kmanoinine 94 or whatever his name is
15. Derik
16. x war x when his Wi-Fi works
17. Pika Flash
18. Terror of Death
19. Dragonite Forever
20. Octisnow257
21. SoTH When her Wi-Fi is working
22. Penny Power
23. Umbreon Master 66
24. Twilight ShayminLvr
25. Silverwolf
26. RNC
I can't be here because my other family members share this computer or I would be here all day. It is not just me but most if not all those members on that list don't or can't use Shoddy because they don't want to use or their computer can't handle the program. It is not just me.

I don't see why this forum can't support both because there are a lot of members that still use Wi-Fi here and if it is phased out the members that use Wi-Fi will leave and switch to a forum that supports Wi-Fi. It has to be fair either way. You can't just have one program and expect everyone to use it. It has to be an either or forum or we will indeed start loosing members. If you phase out Wi-Fi completely we will loose the members that use Wi-Fi and it is not because they don't have time or can't be here to use the program either. It is because they and me are not allowed to use the program on the computer and my scanning software will block it because it is set to block anything unless you say yes on the program security so phasing out Wi-Fi will fix it so members that have it will be left in the dust. I am sorry that is how you guys see it but you must realize that is all the members have and that is all they got. It has to be an either or process or this forum will loose members. If you want that to happen then gon on with the change but remember 1 thing if Wi-Fi is gone then so are the members that still use it. Please make sure this is an either or proccess because then everyone will have their share off battling and if they want to battle a shoddy member they can still do it if they still have their DS. I don't see why it can't be done but that is how it should be. You guys may not agree but you may be making a bad move here.:(

Why can't you use Shoddy? Shoddy is a much more convenient way of battling, if you didn't know. You lose the possibility of somebody using hacked Pokemon, less chances of random disconnections, and you can use any Pokemon without having to EV train, because people don't have the time. So yeah, why is it such a problem to download shoddy?

All you need is Java, and Shoddy. Anyone with Windows can simply use it, as Shoddy isn't a complicated program that many computers can't support. Shoddy is supported by most computers, and like I've mentioned before, gives players more games on average.

We're talking about expanding PokeBeach competitively, and Shoddy is the best way of doing so. Again, if you argue about keeping WiFi here, we can say the opposite, that WiFi battles can be done via PM.

To make things easier why can't we just support both. Sorry I am a bit upset because of other thing so I don't see why we can't support both Shoddy AND Wi-Fi. If we do both everything should be fine.:) That is all I want. Geez sorry I may have confused myself and you guys too but I want this place both Competitive for Shoddy and Wi-Fi so everything is equal. That is all I want.:)

xxashxx said:
To make things easier why can't we just support both. Sorry I am a bit upset because of other thing so I don't see why we can't support both Shoddy AND Wi-Fi. If we do both everything should be fine.:) That is all I want. Geez sorry I may have confused myself and you guys too but I want this place both Competitive for Shoddy and Wi-Fi so everything is equal. That is all I want.:)

Wi-Fi is nigh on impossible to get competitive here at the beach. How many people where that trade even know the difference between EVs and IVs, and bother to look into that when trading? Less then 5% I will tell you that right now. Also the wi-fi trading game is like running into a dark hole, your never going to find a legit exit. By that I mean practically all the Pokemon being traded right now here are hacked. Your not going to be believe me but I can practically guarantee you 90% or more of the event Pokemon flying around, are indeed hacked.

Battling on Wi-Fi is terrible, and so is the trading. Flat put Wi-Fi is worse then a stable full of cow manure.

Charizard88 said:
Wi-Fi is nigh on impossible to get competitive here at the beach. How many people where that trade even know the difference between EVs and IVs, and bother to look into that when trading? Less then 5% I will tell you that right now. Also the wi-fi trading game is like running into a dark hole, your never going to find a legit exit. By that I mean practically all the Pokemon being traded right now here are hacked. Your not going to be believe me but I can practically guarantee you 90% or more of the event Pokemon flying around, are indeed hacked.

Battling on Wi-Fi is terrible, and so is the trading. Flat put Wi-Fi is worse then a stable full of cow manure.

C88 How do you know that if you sold your AR and DS both or one of the other. I do not want to see this place Shoddy only. I want both. I don't see why you guys can't grip that. Don't you want it to be both because there are quite a few noobs that do not know much and all they have is Wi-Fi then what will you guys do if that is all they have? At least they are able to trade and battle with what they do have. It is better than nothing. Thus you do even have to be here to battle or trade. I get my battles and trades completed when I am not here. All I have to do is set a time and tell whoever what I would like to do and the battle or trades does get done and if there is a disconnection then we just get back on and finish. It is not that hard to do. It might take a bit of time sometimes but it can't be perfect all the time. I would like it to be an either or thing not just Shoddy.:)

Again, this is last time I'm saying it, if you want WiFi battles, send a PM to whomever for a request. It's much easier rather than making a thread that almost no one goes to. Remember, the objective here is to reduce the amount of forums and sub-forums. Trading Threads via WiFi are fine, IMO, since that takes more discussion and working out rather than "hey, let's battle".

Oh ok. so trade threads will still be here then? I thought it was Wi-Fi altogether. I always use the PM system or post in a player thread or ask on Wi-Fi. I have fixed the Anyone Want to battle? question in our clan because I got fed up with that question so I help Echosong durive a rule for doing it more tha 3-4 times and ever since I helped here do that I have not seen that in our clan except maybe 2 or 3 times. So it is the battle part and not trading right? I just want to clarify that to be sure. Thanks.:)

I cannot guarantee that any WiFi will be here, Trading or Battling. However, for now, we're all aiming to change the forum members into the competitive metagame. That is all.

Oh ok. Can a mod tell me exactly what is going on exactly because I am confused on what is staying and what is not. WPM feel free to help clear things up. You are the administrator and I would like some help so I can get a better idea on what is actually going to happen. Thanks. AEX thanks for giving some idea because I thought it was all Wi-Fi was going. I hope that is not the case though.:)

Nothing is set in stone yet, so I don't think I can give you a definite answer. We are taking concerns from this thread into consideration though. I don't think Wi-Fi is getting completely cut out. However, there will be places for trading and battling to happen on Wi-Fi. If not on the forums, we have set up a trading and battling chat room that you can reach by going to www.pokebeach.com/chat and clicking on the #pbconnect tab. So far I know that is remaining.

We will not be removing things like the Trading Center or the Battle Now thread (both Wifi intensive), so you're still fine. I'm just saying in terms of overall events and they way we're headed, we'll mainly be catering to the Shoddy players.

Ohhhhhh good. I thought it was everything that is why I jumped on you guys. Sorry but the way it sounded made me think it was everything Wi-Fi. Sorry guys.:)

Back