Writing Pulse of the Frontier 2: Plugged In: Chapter SEVEN IS UP! All opinions are welcomed!

How do you like the story?

• Awesome Story!!! 100/10!!!

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Great Story!! 9/10

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Pretty Good Story! 7.5/10

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Meh Story. 5/10

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Terribad Story. 0/10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daren

Proud ownr of 300 Chimchars and counting
darenwith2-1.png

Credit to InfinityFangX for the Banner

Hello, Pokebeach. I am delighted to say that I am going to continue my story, Pulse of the Frontier. In case you haven't read the first one, first of all you should read it, but I'll give you guys a little background anyways.

Palmer, Argenta, Darach, Dahlia, and Thorton became aware that one of their age old enemies, Valrem, malevolent leader of the Hoenn Battle Frontier, has returned. His role in things and ties with the brains are very mysterious. It takes the brains involvement in Team galactic, the organization which valrem overtakes to ultimately put a stop to him.

This thrilling second chapter features some new, and some old characters, as well as some new relationships and mysteries. One of the latest characters is Jun. I really don't care if his name in America is Bary, Jun just sounds a lot better so I'm using it.

Well, I think that's enough for an introduction so without further ado, I present to you, Pulse of teh Frontier 2: Plugged In:

Index:

Chapter 1: The Pokevice: The Great Release
Chapter 2: Mars: Johto Frontier Brain
Chapter 3: Argenta: A Trip Down Memory Lane
Chapter 4: Jun: Sea Rogue Captain
Chapter 5: The Great Marsh: Another Adventure
Chapter 6: The Other Side of the Story: Showdown in the Swamp
Chapter 7: Villianess: Confrontation

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1: The Pokevice: The Great Release

“I got your message! Is it really finished?”

With long, swift strides, she crossed the cluttered room that served Thorton as both an office and laboratory. Carefully, she stepped over piles of assorted discarded parts and made her way to stand directly behind Thorton. The latter sat completely still in the straight backed chair at his desk, a cold mist of silence around his being. The moment begged sacredness, and so she stood silent and still, peering over her comrade’s shoulder. He held it in his hands; that which had been the subject of attention over the last three months. Thorton’s whole being was shaky as he turned round in his chair to face her, in a state of disbelief.

It was completely possible that neither brain had, despite the consecutive weeks spent in continuous labor, doubted that the day would ever come. In fact, it was rather likely. Perhaps both had simply talked about the day for the sake of the other, never truly suspecting. Maybe it was just that the long days spent in hard work on the project had been spent for the merely for the sport of the ordeal. Whatever the case, it was for sure that neither could have come close to envisioning the day a short month ago.

Thorton didn’t speak, his lips were quavering. He seemed to be going over the thing in his mind, trying to convince himself despite the palpability of it that it was all real. It seemed just too much to be. He could have pinched himself and see if he would wake up if he weren’t so stiff. Finally, without a word, he nodded to Argenta. Yes; it was time. Nothing would ever be the same.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three short days later it was everywhere. Television commercials, magazine ads, the backs of cereal boxes, everything something of its sort and substantiality would go. Its release was scheduled for that very day, just following the release interview. After years of hard work, it would finally be accessible to the public. Yes it was done, and according to the first call to Thorton from the Poke-Mart company, they would be the first to make the big purchase of over ten thousand of them.

Thorton stood at the entrance to the Sunyshore City Poke Mart, the lucky first Poke Mart to put Thorton’s Pokevice on their shelves. To his right stood five men and women, each representing a different one of Sinnoh’s leading five news casting channels. On his left stood the other four brains, Palmer, Dahlia, Darach, and Argenta, all smiling at him and shooting him thumbs-ups. He did his best to return their jovial expressions, but even their cheery appearance couldn’t diminish the lump in his throat.

To say the least, Thorton wasn’t a camera person. He never preferred being anywhere close to the center of attention, and felt more comfortable backstage working the effects. Yet, here he was, the cameramen adjusting their angles to get the best shot of his nearly paled face, and him doing his best to smile. He could feel the beads of sweat trickling down his forehead, and he became suddenly conscious to the fact that he was broiling hot. The sun beat down forcefully on the mid-summer day and Thorton found himself fanning himself with his arm.

“Okay, we’ve got five minutes before shooting begins, so you can do what ever until then,” Assured a bubbly young blonde, the reporter for Sunyshore Live. Thorton breathed a sigh of relief and strolled briskly over to where his Frontier Brain comrades stood waiting.

“Can you believe it’s finally happening?” Argenta exclaimed excitedly, “We’ve been working on this thing for like months! I’m so glad that we’re finally done! We should give it one last test run before the cameras go on though.”

Thorton nodded his agreement and produced the sleek, black device from his vest pocket. One push of a big green button later the dark screen flashed white with life. The word ‘Pokevice’ flashed on the screen before disappearing and giving way to the menu screen. Next, a small, virtual, female figure hovered onto the screen and rested in the corner. Her body was decorated with the pattern of 1s and 0s that was binary code and her violet hair flowed in the virtual space like a wave. A talk bubble came from the figure’s mouth.

“Hello, my name is Vivian. I will be your interactive guide through the all-purpose, virtual world of the Pokevice.” Appeared the words in the bubble, “With over one hundred fun-filled games to play, Wi-Fi communications, a pedometer, a camera, a Pokemon health and friendliness tracker, and much more, the Pokevice is heaven on earth designed for you!”

“Yep,” Thorton sighed, shutting down the device and returning it to his pocket, “Everything is A-okay, except of course the Viv glitch.”

Argenta frowned and folded her arms across her chest. A steady wind had risen and it tossed her magenta hair in front of her face. Her ruby red eyes were full of contemplation. Absent-mindedly she blew a strand of hair out of her face, only to let it fall back down again to rest on her nose. “Are you going to tell them?” She asked finally.

Before Thorton could reply, Palmer interrupted. The frontier leader was a stocky, well-built man somewhere in his mid-thirties. He had spiky blonde hair and a large smile, which was currently plastered on his face. “You’ve met my son Jun haven’t you Thor?” He asked, referring to a young-teenage boy who stood beside his father. He resembled his father in a handful of ways, namely the long blonde hair that curved up into a sort of crescent shape on his head. He wore a white and orange striped shirt as well as a green scarf wrapped around his neck.

“Yes, of course I’ve met him before,” Thorton replied, addressing the boy, “But that must have been like eight years ago. Wow, he’s really gotten bigger since I last saw him. How’s it going, Jun?”

But Jun wasn’t paying any attention. Rather, he was staring, mesmerized, at Dahlia, whom took no notice of his gaze as she was absorbed in a quaint conversation with Darach. Jun’s jaw was hanging wide open and for a moment he appeared to be in some form of a daze. It took his father’s snapping fingers in front of his face to reawaken him to the real world.

“Yeah, huh, what?” He asked, still dizzy from the shift. But Thorton had no time to answer as he was called to his station in front of the mart. With a “wish me luck,” he strode off towards the place.

“Well that was rude of you,” Palmer said under his breath once Thorton was a safe distance away, “You totally ignored Thorton I mean what were you looking at anyways?”

“Oh my god,” Jun replied, his heart racing, “Who is that beautiful female with the hair like black velvet and the deep eyes like diamonds, and the crimson lips like the pedals of a…”

“That’s Dahlia,” Palmer interrupted, unnerved, “And what are you talking about?” Jun was going to reply when the sound of the lead cameraman counting backwards from five drove everyone’s attention back to Thorton.

“Hello and welcome to Sunyshore Live!” The blonde reporter exclaimed into her mini-microphone as the cameras started rolling, “You know me! It’s Lillian Sunday here and we’re live at our very own Sunyshore City Poke Mart, the first ever to set Vire Co’s latest creation, the Poke Vice, on their shelves. Here we have with us the Poke Vice’s young inventor, Thorton, here to give us a very first impression to the all new craze that’s sweeping the region! So, Thorton, do you have any opening words you’d like to say before we plug in the Vire Power generator that is going to give Poke Vices around the region the ability to switch on?”

“Yes, yes I do Lillian,” Thorton replied shakily, taking the mike in his hands, “A few years ago, I invented the Poke Vice. I had wanted to make something that would change the world for the better, but I went a little overboard. It turns out that my old college professor couldn’t make heads or tails of it and my idea was rejected.”

Thorton paused for a moment, both to catch his breath and to let the words sink in. “My initial plan, as is most of ours when we fail, was to throw in the towel. But, someone encouraged me not to let it go. Someone encouraged me, to go for the gold and to finish my project. She helped me through every step of the way, tuning down the complexity so that the average Joe could operate it. It wasn’t me alone, but us together that made this dream a reality,” He continued, “I would like to give the credit for the invention of the Poke Vice to the one who has always been there for me. And I hope that you will come up here, and help me count down until plug in time, Argenta!”

If there had been an audience present, it would have erupted in a rain of applause. However, since there was not, Lillian and the brains took the responsibility upon themselves and filled the gap nicely with much clapping and cheers. Argenta grinned from ear to ear as she stepped up to where Thorton stood and the two exchanged a long, poignant embrace.

“Aw, that’s just beautiful, isn’t it Sinnoh?” Lillian exclaimed, still clapping cheerily, “And now that you are both here, let’s kick off this countdown to plug in time with a five!”

Together, Argenta and Thorton held the large power generator steady, preparing to when ‘one’ came to slam it in the outlet formed for its purpose. Over it, they looked each other directly in the eyes. They had come so far together, from the day they met to this. It seemed as if nothing could ever break them apart. Or so they thought.

“Four!” Everyone was shouting together now. Argenta and Thorton inched just the slightest bit closer to the outlet, clutching the generator steadily.

“Three!” Thorton could have sworn that he felt the stinging shock of electricity in his left vest pocket but he ignored it.

“Two!” Everyone present held their own individual Pokevice, thumbs hovering in eager wait over the large green ‘on’ button.

“One!” In that instant, with one powerful shove, Thorton and Argenta slammed the generator into the outlet and it began to radiate with life. During the same second, every Pokevice was turned on and a monotone humming filled the air. Thorton did likewise and switched his Pokevice on.

Suddenly, the cheery humming sound was drowned out and replaced with a loud screeching sound. Cameramen, Lillian, and the brains hurriedly covered their ears with their palms but it wasn’t enough to shut out the uproarious blare. Next, beams of electricity began to fly through the air and it was all one could do to keep from being shocked. The vices were instantly dropped to the ground with a clatter, all except for Lillian’s; it was too late for her.

Smoke billowed from the abandoned devices and clouded the air thickly and densely in soot. Flames sprouted from the vices and with a shriek of terror, the cameramen dashed away from the area, leaving their deserted cameras to burn. Groping hopelessly around in the blackness, struggling to avoid the hail of electricity that came from all sides, Thorton attempted to locate the others.

The raucous screeching noise continued to fill the air, even as the vices burned and their being crumbled away to ashes. It was impossible to hear anything over the blare and so audible communication was impossible. For this reason, Thorton cautiously fought to find his comrades. Despite the obvious uselessness, he cried out into the air, his cried being lost in the din.

Once, his hand brushed against another and he met eyes with Lillian. However, there was something hardly right about them. They glowed a deathly green and glared down at him with malevolence. Then, without a word, she moved with a mechanical consistency in the opposite direction, into the utter darkness, and out of sight. Thorton again tried to call after her but to no avail.

Suddenly, Thorton felt himself being forced backwards by a fierce wind. His jet black hair was whipped into his face and the smoke followed. Within the space of a minute the dense smoke was cleared away and Thorton stood facing Darach and his Staraptor, recoiling from its Fog Clear attack. Simultaneously, the uproarious screeching sound died away.

“Oh thank god, Darach!” Thorton exclaimed, coughing up the last remnants of the smoke, “Where are the others? Are they alright?”

“We’re fine.” It was Palmer who answered. Thorton whirled to face Dahlia, Jun, and him, dusting themselves off and examining minor burn marks.

“Speak for yourself!” Dahlia grumbled, attempting hopelessly to clear the dense black soot from her bright yellow shirt. She did not appear thrilled with the fact that her favorite outfit had nearly been ruined.

“Well at least no one’s hurt,” Thorton replied, chuckling. Then the color drained suddenly from his face and he managed weakly, “Where is Argenta.”

A faint beeping sound targeted their attention. Dahlia, Palmer, Jun, and Dahlia stared at Thorton, from whom the sound seemed to come. Slowly, cautiously, he reached into his vest pocket and removed his own Pokevice. It was still fully intact. On the screen, the image of a virtual envelope hovered above the words, “One new message.”

Swallowing hard, he pressed the button labeled, “receive message”. The following text flooded the screen.

You will pay. I have your friend. You will do what I demand.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I would be very grateful if whenever you post you say who your favorite character is, I'm very interested to know

RE: Pulse of the Frontier 2!!! Plugged In!!! Sequal to the hit story!!! Must Read!

Way to go on the story! Vivian is so funny.

:( Did you make Jun fall in love with Dahlia?

RE: Pulse of the Frontier 2!!! Plugged In!!! Sequal to the hit story!!! Must Read!

Thank you GPM for the comment and for being the first poster! :D

P.S. Yes, I did make Jun fall in love with Dahlia. I plan to make him the humor of the story later on :)

Excellent, the plot looks like it could get interesting! I can't wait for more.

Great story, Daren! Keep up the excellent work.

Very good, although I don't think this story is suited to the humour. Nonetheless, well done Daren!

Yes! You finally worte the sequel! This first chapter's great! I'm asking the same question Thorton is asking: Where is Argenta? Who took her? Oh..as usual you leave me in suspense! Can't wait for the next chapter! I wonder how many years apart are Thorton and Argenta? I want to see an interesting *thing* brewing between them sometime....

Daren The Author said:
I did make Jun fall in love with Dahlia. I plan to make him the humor of the story later on :)

Yes, I know that Jun is so funny in the anime and games so I really can't wait for the next chapter with Jun in it!

Thank you everyone. Yes, I'm not 100% sure that humor has a place ehre but i want to try it, there won't be a lot but just a little to spice it up a bit. Also, does anyone notice any errors in the first chapter?

RE: Pulse of the Frontier 2!!! Plugged In!!! Sequal to the hit story!!! Must Read!!!

“Well that was rude of you,” Palmer said under his breath once Thorton was a safe distance away, “You totally ignored Thorton I mean what were you looking at anyways?”

“Oh my god,” Jun replied, his heart racing, “Who is that beautiful female with the hair like black velvet and the deep eyes like diamonds, and the crimson lips like the pedals of a…”

The fixes are in bold. I like the story. Keep writing.

Much thanks for pointing those out eevee, I fixed them. :D

Bump! This doesn't deserve to be anywhere other than the first page!

Thanks Ava, I'm sorry it's taking so long but I've been very busy. It'll be done very soon!

RE: Pulse of the Frontier 2!!! Plugged In!!! Sequal to the hit story!!! Must Read!!!

Yesssss!!!!! Chapter Two is finally up! I greatly appreciate your patience. I know that this chapter isn't a whole lot but i hope that you'll enjoy it. :D

Chapter 2: Mars: Johto Frontier Brain
“And that is why you need to learn how to knock.”

Dahlia, Thorton, Darach, and Palmer gazed down, arms crossed over their chests, at a slightly dazed Jun lying sprawled out on the ground. A mere ten seconds ago, Jun had been eager to be the first to hold the seventeenth door so far open for Dahlia, but regrettably, someone on the opposite side beat him to it and Jun ended up on the receiving end of a doorknob to the forehead. He just groaned in response to his father’s remark and shakily stood upright. “Yes, I’m fine, thanks for asking!” He grumbled sarcastically.

“Wow, oops, sorry about that,” Mars apologized, “I didn’t realize you were on the other side of that door.”

The last time that the brains had worked with commander Mars, Valrem, their age-old nemesis had supposedly returned to space even after rumors of having been killed by Deoxys. In the end, it turned out to actually be Deoxys, disguised in order to deceive the leaders of Galactic and seize power. Mars had given him the last ounce of trust for the world that she had left in her being and he betrayed her. From that day on, after Scott invited her along with her former Galactic comrades Saturn and Cody to become the first Johto Frontier Brains, she had become a different person.

Her physical appearance in it of itself was proof of the change. The cherry-red hair that had prior been kept in a tight and complex bun that wound itself around her head now hung loosely like a wave stretching partially down her back. She wore a pink jacket over a white shirt, blue jeans, and sandals. Her trusty Purugly stood at her heels, purring contentedly and rubbing against her leg.

“I was actually just going over to the Pokemon Center to heal up some of my Pokemon from my latest battle but I see that we have visitors eh, Purugly?” She said, smiling. She had a very sweet smile that would, ninety-nine percent of the time, make you forget every worry that you have. However, this wasn’t one of those times.

“Mars…” Palmer began.

“Oh, please, call me Mary, that was my actual name before Cyrus gave me the name Mars,” She said, cutting him off mid-sentence.

“We need your help.” Thorton said, “Argenta is in trouble. Yesterday, at the release date for the Pokevice, something went horribly wrong. We think that Argenta has been kidnapped and we’ll need all the help that we can get to find her.”

There was a long expanse of silence while the brains waited for the words to sink in. Mars stood stone still, her expression growing slowly grimmer as the effect of Thorton’s words kicked in. “Well, why didn’t you call me about this earlier?” She asked finally.

“Haven’t you heard?” Darach replied, “Every phone system in Sinnoh is down. There is no reception anywhere. We think that whoever or whatever made the Pokevices malfunction is responsible for the connection crisis as well. The fastest way to reach you was to take the ferry from Sinnoh to Johto.”

After taking in a deep breath and letting it out, Mary ushered the brains and Jun further inside her Frontier Facility. The first room of the facility was the battling arena, a large, unleveled plain, dipping and rising in no visible pattern. The floor was made of rubber and squished and jiggled whenever it was stepped on. The brains, each having had their own interesting experiences with lost balance in the arena, carefully avoided it and made their way to the bleachers on the far left side to sit and converse with Mary. Jun was careful to sit next to Dahlia, an act not unnoticed by the girl, but she didn’t let him know this.

“Alright,” Mary said, stroking her Purugly which was now curdled up in her lap, “So what’s the plan? Do we have any leads at all as to where she is or who took her or even if she was taken?”

“Only what’s in this text,” Thorton replied, producing from his vest pocket his Pokevice and handing it to Mary. She took it eagerly and read the words on the screen over several times before placing it down on the bleachers beside her. Purugly jumped down and Mary placed her dainty hands in her now desolate lap.

“So…What’re you going to do?” She asked. As if in response, the Pokevice began to buzz and vibrate, and Thorton reached eagerly to take it. However, Mary beat him to it and she quickly scanned the new message.

“What does it say? What does it say?” Thorton exclaimed, enthusiastically.

“I don’t think you’ll like it,” Mary replied, her face paling as she read, “It says: Now do you believe me? I told you you’d pay for what you’ve done. Don’t be alarmed, however, I plan to return her to you. But first, I require some proof of just how far you’ll go for Argenta, Thorton. Your first mission will be to travel to Iron Island. When you get there, I will send you further instructions. Perhaps, hopefully, by the time we meet each other, you will reconsider the wrongdoing which you have committed against me. I look forward to seeing you and finding out… And there is no sender address.”

Dahlia, Darach, Palmer, and Jun held a murmured conversation trying to determine the next best move. Thorton sat completely still and silent, taking a look at the text himself and then returning it to its place in his vest pocket. Mary tried to meet his gaze but he turned away from her, avoiding contact.

“You know…It’s probably a trap, right?” Mary said, taking Thorton’s quavering hand in hers. He only nodded in reply, and used the back of his other hand to brush some of the wetness out of his eyes.

“Well,” Dahlia spoke up, rising from her seat on the bleachers and standing directly over Thorton, “I’m game if you are. I’ve been waiting for another adventure ever since our last shindig with Deoxys. You can count on me.”

“I will come as well,” Darach followed up, standing up beside Dahlia, “I am eager to give whoever is responsible for this a piece of my mind!”

Palmer and Mary gave similar guarantees of their loyalty before the only ones still sitting were Thorton and Jun. Every eye latched on to the latter. The boy rolled his eyes and, with a shrug, stood with the others. “Ah, well, if Dahlia’s going you can definitely count me in, and besides, it’s been way too long since dad’s shown me a good time,” He said with a wink towards Palmer.

Thorton looked up with eyes glistening with the remnants of his tears at the friends and family that he had accumulated during his young life. He couldn’t remember a time when they hadn’t been there for him, and he had made it his duty to return the favor. However, one of these friends was missing. As long as he breathed he would not be sitting around under such terms. he nodded, a smile on his drawn out face. It was settled.

“Let’s do this thing.” he said. Purugly meowed in agreement.

RE: Pulse of the Frontier 2: Plugged In: Chapter Two is up!!! Must Read!

Once again, well done. I'm running out of compliments for your work Daren...

Yes! Glad you updated, Daren! Great chapter..can't wait to see the Iron Island action! Where could Argenta be hidden?

Argenta is in danger. Will Drifblim save her? :D.

So, it's revealed that Mars was used to be called Mary. How wonderful.

Keep on going Daren!

RE: Pulse of the Frontier 2: Plugged In: Chapter Two is up!!! Must Read!!!

When you get there, I will send you further instructions. Perhaps, hopefully, by the time we meet each other, you will reconsider the wrongdoing which you have committed against me. I look forward to seeing you and finding out… And there is no sender address.”

Palmer and Mary gave similar guarantees of their loyalty before the only ones still sitting were Thorton and Jun. Every eye latched on to the latter. The boy rolled his eyes and, with a shrug, stood with the others. “Ah, well, if Dahlia’s going you can definitely count me in, and besides, it’s been way too long since dad’s shown me a good time,” he said with a wink towards Palmer.

“Let’s do this thing,” he said. Purugly meowed in agreement.

The fixes are in bold. Very nicely done. Can't wait to see how this is played out.

RE: Pulse of the Frontier 2: Plugged In: Chapter Two is up!!! Must Read!!!

Chapter 3: Argenta: A Trip Down Memory Lane

Argenta rubbed her sore head tenderly, her vision blurry and hazy from having just regained consciousness. The light in the room, despite its dimness, was bright enough to blind in contrast with the darkness of her past hours of unconsciousness and so she had to guard her eyes with her hand. The first thing she noticed when they had adjusted to the light was that she was in some sort of dilapidated laboratory. The second thing she noticed was that there was a strange familiarity about the place. The third thing she noticed was that she wasn’t alone. She jumped suddenly back, startled, and stared up at the lean, dark figure that hovered ominously in the air above her. The darkness in the room was too thick for the identity of the figure to be distinguished, but she vaguely recognized its form from somewhere. The figure stood completely motionless and never spoke.

When at last she found her tongue, the Hall Matron mumbled softly the question that was burning in her mind, “Who are you?”

For a long while there was no response, however, a mechanical voice soon filled the air. “You know very well who I am, Argenta,” came the monotone voice, “You do not recognize my voice because I have concealed it. I suppose that you are wondering why you are here. Well, all will be revealed in due time. Thorton will come for you. And then everything can return to the way that it should be.”

With that having been said, the figure vanished instantly into the blackness and Argenta was left alone with her mindful of questions. By now, she could see fairly well with the small amount of light that came from the lone florescent bulb in the ceiling, and slowly, she was able to determine her bearings. She was standing in the middle of a relatively small room, the sole furnishings of which were a small mahogany desk, upon which sat an old, dust coated computer, and a tattered old couch that seemed to serve part-time as a bed.

However, Argenta was too busy rushing towards the closest and only door in the room to notice any of this. Her gloved hands closed tight around the knob and twisted. Nothing. It was, as would be suspected, locked. With a deep sigh, she collapsed onto the couch and tried to find some relief to the many questions that buzzed like a swarm of irritated Beedrill through her brain.

“Where was she?”

“Why was she here?”

“Who had taken her here?”

“How would she escape?”

“What did her captor mean when it said that everything would go back to the way it should be?”

Suddenly, an inspiration shocked the matron and her hands dove into her pants pockets to find her Pokeballs. To her horror, both pockets contained nothing more than their respective assortments of lint and change. It was hopeless. In despair, she slumped back on the couch again and slammed her fists against the cotton-stuffed cushions in frustration.

It was then that for the first time, she took any serious notice of the computer. Its monitor was a deathly black, and chances were good that it hadn’t had enough power to merely turn on for years but Argenta decided it was worth a try and quickly strode over to the desk and pressed the ‘on’ button. With a low humming sound, the screen flickered to life and a loading bar appeared on the screen.

Argenta let out a deep breath of relief. However, her face fell again when a text box appeared requesting the users password. Thorton had taught her plenty about cracking passwords to brave the everyday laptop but one belonging to a kidnapper and possible evil mastermind? That would definitely be a different story.

Argenta stood back for a moment and thought. She knew absolutely nothing about the computer’s owner; no name, no pet name, no favorite item, or anything. She looked about her for anything that could give her a hint. In vain she searched the room from top to bottom and found no lead to any kind of password. In exasperation, she collapsed once more upon the couch and grumbled.

It was not until just then, when she had become very still, that she become aware of the frigid temperature of the room. She hadn’t noticed it before and the sudden acknowledgement made the cold feel even colder. She fought for some trace of warmth by wrapping herself around the thick cushions with no result, meeting only the same coldness of before.

Just when she was reaching her arms down into the couch cushions, she felt her fingers close around something hard and wooden. Surprised, she dislodged it from between the cushions and found it to be a rather damaged picture frame. Turning it round in her hands to take a look at the front side, her heart took a giant leap into her throat. Behind the cracked glass frame was a single picture. It was tattered and it was torn but it was no great feat to recognize the two friends who stood, arms over each other’s shoulders. It was signed in the corner with Argenta’s own loopy handwriting:

“Argenta and Thorton forever.”

What was this place? Her chest heaved with her deep breaths as realization flooded her. Her eyes opened wide in recognition. This was more than just any laboratory. Suddenly, she could remember the long days that the two of them had spent there together, whether they were inventing a cure for Pokerus, building a robot that could train Pokemon for them, or just sitting on that velvet red couch, eating doughnuts and chatting, and laughing.

“It couldn’t possibly be,” she breathed in disbelief, “The old laboratory. But that would mean…”

Her gaze drifted back over to the computer. Now that she looked at it in a different light she could easily see. It was the one that she and Thorton had used for nearly days on end, conducting research or just goofing off playing computer games. She let her fingers hover above the dust coated keys. It had been years since she had pressed them, since they had pressed them, but she could never forget what they had typed.

“V-I-R-E. Access Granted.”

A slight smile cracked the set line formed by her lips and the faint light of the bulb caught and glistened on the lone tear that rolled down her cheek. How long had it been since that day when they had sat alone, together, just opening to box for the brand new, top-of-the-market laptop computer? They had made the box into a diorama of the laboratory, complete with every last detail of the place. They had laughed countless laughs coming up with a password until settling on Vire, the name which they planned to use for their inventing company. They had been so young.

By now the computer was alive and running and the desktop menu appeared on the screen. She guided the mouse with her hand so that the curser on the screen hovered over the small folder icon labeled ‘email’ and clicked it. The words “One New Message” flashed on the screen. Argenta looked at the screen, perplexed. It seemed impossible that anything about the computer could be anywhere near new. Regardless, she double clicked the words and a message, dated less than a year prior and signed by Thorton himself appeared.

Why would Thorton send himself an email? She wondered to herself. She read the text included in the message aloud. “Dear receiver of this email, firstly, hello, and welcome to the very first Vire Head Quarters. If you are receiving this message it means that I have sold Vire and I am giving you control over it. I have hidden all of Vire’s secrets inside this very laboratory. You fill find them by…”

Suddenly, the screen went a deathly black, and Argenta could see her own terror-stricken expression in its reflection. A dark figure hovered ominously above and behind her, the hood of its cloak hanging down half of its face, leaving its menacing grin visible. A plug dangled from one hand. “Oops,” It said, chuckling manically, “Looks like its game over. I and I alone have power here, but you would not believe how long I’ve been trying to crack that pass code. I should have guessed Vire but I guess that no one’s perfect. Not even Thorton. Oh well, now I have that email and the secrets of Vire are almost mine. I knew I could count on you, Argenta.”

With that, the figure disappeared once more into the air and Argenta’s hands that had been outstretched to take hold of the being’s cloak closed around empty air. She was left alone with even more questions. She tried to switch the computer back on but it was no use. The power was all gone. It seemed that nothing could get worse. Then the bulb went out and the room was enveloped in total darkness. Argenta collapsed on the ground and cried.

RE: Pulse of the Frontier 2: Plugged In: Chapter Three is up!!! A Must Read Story!

Wow! great update Daren! Glad to know Argenta is alive! This is getting jjjjuicy..who is the man? Is it Valrem (who could have possibly survived)? This is hair raising! Write more! Wanna read the next chapter already!

RE: Pulse of the Frontier 2: Plugged In: Chapter Three is up!!! A Must Read Story!!!

Chapter 4: Jun: Sea Rogue Captain

“Listen, we need your help. We have to get to Iron Island. It’s a matter of life and death,” Darach explained to the impassive ferry man, who seemed more absorbed in the chips he was devouring than the concerns of the five Frontier Brains and Jun. Mere minutes ago, the group had arrived in Canalave city, the only city known to grant transportation to Iron Island. By following the varying information of different civilians, they were able to track down the ferry man. Unfortunately, it was Sunday, the boat driver’s day off.

“For the last time,” The man replied through mouthfuls of chips, “I don’t do ferry rides on Sundays. It’s as simple as that. Life and death can wait until tomorrow.”

Frustrated, Thorton groaned and began pacing around in a circle. The other brains and Jun began to converse amongst themselves in whispered tones while the ferryman looked on absent-mindedly. Finally, after a solid minute, Jun spoke up.

“Hey, I think I know how to relate to this guy,” he whispered, rubbing his palms together, a sly smirk on his plastered face. “My man,” he said, addressing the ferry man, “I think I get your drift. How about some greenbacks to lighten up your mood?”

The man responded with uproarious laughter. “Ay, kid. No amount of money is going to make me work on my resting day. Come back tomorrow and I’ll take those greenbacks off your hands but for now, I bid you good day.” With that, the man began to reenter his house and shut the door behind him.

“Wait.”

Thorton’s order stopped the man who, with a groan of exasperation, opened the door again and looked irritably at him. “What?” He grumbled.

“You said that no amount of money was going to make you take us to Iron Island,” Thorton reasoned, “Well, would fifty dollars be enough for you to lend us your boat? We can pilot ourselves to Iron Island. Please, it’s really important.”

The man seemed to consider for a moment, pausing from his voracious chip eating. Then, with a deep sigh he consented. Relieved, Thorton handed the man the money and, on account of an upraised eyebrow from the ferry man, he added a tip of ten extra dollars. Satisfied, the man then handed the keys over to Thorton and gleefully reentered his house, slamming the door shut behind them.

“Great job,” Mary congratulated, “Except for one teensy tiny thing. None of us know how to drive a boat. Argenta’s the pilot.”

“I do.” Jun chimed in. The other five brains looked at him skeptically. “No really, I do! I swear!” He exclaimed, looking slightly hurt, “Dad, remember that time that you and mom were in that huge argument last summer? Well, during one of my weeks with her, she let me go to this really cool summer camp to try to make it up to me I think. Anyways, I spent almost the whole seven days on the motor boats that they had out on the lake and I eventually learned how to use them.”

For a moment silence reigned. No one looked eager to allow a thirteen year old boy drive them in a boat to Iron Island. “Do you even have a license to drive a boat?” Dahlia asked, still looking uncertain.

“Well no,” Jun replied, “But I wasn’t allowed to drive the boats at the camp either and that didn’t stop me!”

After a minute more of conversation amongst the adults, which Jun spent eagerly inspecting the boat, the brains consented and the six piled into the craft. Jun happily donned a white, rimmed sailor hat that he found hanging from a hook and took to the wheel of the boat. It wasn’t a particularly large vehicle, but the brains enjoyed elbow-room aplenty as they climbed into their seats in the rear. The ship was painted white with its title painted across its side dubbing it The Sea Rogue, which Jun found fitting.

As soon as Jun accustomed himself to the controls, the boat suddenly lurched out away from the little dock and, after passing under the Canalave City Bridge, sped out into the open water. For the first few minutes of the trip, the boat staggered and reeled in the choppy water, and the brains found themselves forced to take hold of anything securely fastened to down to keep from being flung to the deck. But it wasn’t long before Jun regained control over the vessel and the ride became smooth again.

As the journey progressed, so did the chatter, and the situation’s graveness seemed to vanish as talk of home, life, and friends filled the conversation. Once the boat had arrived in the emptiness of the middle of the sea and little skill was required to keep the vessel from drifting, Jun retired from the wheel and Palmer took his place. Mary overlooked Thorton’s dreary silence worriedly. Never before had she seen the Factory Head so morose and she felt for him. She knew what it was to be alone, and she wrapped an arm around his shoulders.

“We’ll find her,” She whispered in his ear.

“Um, mayday, mayday!” Palmer’s sudden cry from the bow drew the passengers’ attention to the growingly violent sea outside the boat. No one had noticed the sun disappear from behind the rumbling storm clouds that gathered overhead, but now a torrent of rain began to fall out of the sky and pummel the boat and its passengers. Jun quickly relieved his father of command of the vessel and veered tightly to the left, against the hard thrust of the wind in the opposite direction.

The brains struggled to set up a rain cover found in one of the boat’s compartments but the chaos made the attempt all but impossible. The wind beat forcefully and threatened to rip the cover from their hands. Palmer shouted orders and, with every hand not occupied in the steering of the boat at work, the cover was soon set up and a state of dryness returned to those under the tarp.

Jun was experiencing problems of his own at the bow. The boat was nearing the island by now and tall rocks had begun jetting out of the water in their path as it approached. With as much strength as he could muster, he maneuvered the vessel out of the rocks’ paths and guided it towards the faint silhouette of the island that was just barely visible in the distance.

“Guys!” He screamed over the roar of the wind and the pummel of the rain against the tarp, “The wind is too strong for the motor to handle alone! If we’re going to make it to that island, you’re going to need to start rowing!”

The next few seconds were spent in a mad search for something, anything that could be used to meet the pressing need. It was Darach whom first chanced upon the store of oars in another of the boat’s compartments and they were immediately passed around. With as much force as could be mustered, the wooden paddles were pressed against the choppy sea, and the boat began to move with a painstakingly slow consistency towards the island.

It wasn’t long before the storm cleared up. The first to go was the wind, the immediate effect of which was felt in the relief of the tired and aching rowers, whom collapsed contentedly on their seats once again. It didn’t take long after that for the pummel of the rain to cease suddenly and soon the dark storm clouds gave way to the slowly shrinking sun of the mid-afternoon.

Jun gratefully gave up his steering position to Darach and he was received well by Thorton, Mary, and Dahlia for his fantastic show at the helm. For the rest of the trip, to the amusement of the girls, he retold the tale of his bravery with immense exaggeration on the part of his heroism. Palmer just rolled his eyes and Thorton sat silently, facing the floor.

“Land Ho!” Darach exclaimed from the bow. Relieved, the remaining four brains and Jun joined him at the helm to welcome the majestic sight of Iron Island against the background of the setting sun. With help from Palmer, Jun, and Thorton, the vessel was soon docked and moored. The group exited the boat and gazed around them with interest. From where they stood at the shoreline of the small island, the land stretched up into a mountain, into the side of which had been dug a tunnel.

“So…what now?” Dahlia voiced the question on everyone’s mind. Suddenly, a violent tremor shook the base of the mountain and the group was knocked off of their feet. A large crevice appeared suddenly in the ground, from which sprung an abnormally large Drapion, pincers poised to strike. The first thing to be noticed about the scorpion Pokemon was the Pokevice strapped with a steel ring around its neck.

The Drapion held its head straight up, as if to offer the device to the brains. Shakily and cautiously, Thorton stood up and reached out to take the Pokevice. The Pokemon made no effort to stop him and so he detached the device from its collar and pressed the ‘on’ button. Lillian Sunday’s face, her eyes dark and ominous, filled the screen.

“Lillian?!” Thorton exclaimed accusingly.

“Settle down Thorton!” The electronic voice came from the Pokevice, “No, I’m not Lillian, I am simply using a duplicate of Lillian’s form for security reasons. I’d prefer you not know who I am until we meet, and be sure that we will. Now, I’m going to get right to the point with you Thorton, I see that you have made it to Iron Island. That’s good; it means that you care enough about your friend to take extraordinary measures to find her. Your efforts might or might not be paid off but that depends on you. It is important that I make sure that you are willing to remain loyal to her so that you don’t betray her like you did me.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You’re the factory head. I’ll let you figure that one out. For now, I’ll leave you with this message. If you ever want to see your friend alive again, you will travel to the Pokemon Safari Zone and await further instructions. Goodbye Thorton, I hope to see you again soon!”

Thorton was about to say something when the Drapion’s large claw shot out and took hold of the device and crushed it between its large pincers. Then the Pokemon crept away, descending back into the crevice from which it had come.

Back