Rap

Flame Claw said:
For another point - I can't stand modern pop. If Artists need autotune to sound decent, you know there's something wrong with the industry.

Not just pop, but country. Theres some stars that have been using autotune since it came out in the 80's. So its not just current pop.

I think that judging an entire type of music by some of the worst examples (Lil Wayne) is just wrong. I am a huge fan of Rap/Hip-Hop, and even most of my friends who hate rap agree that the music that I listen to is pretty good. Take a minute and listen to some of the music by Atmosphere, Murs, Living Legends, etc. although they are not recognized at all, the music is still some of the most meaningful and interesting around. Most people like to be able to relate to their music, so a song about some girl that you meet at a bar is much more meaningful than a song about killing a guy for scuffing your shoes.

DawnOfXatu said:
I think that judging an entire type of music by some of the worst examples (Lil Wayne) is just wrong.
I agree with you on that part, but overall, I'm not a fan of it. Most of the time I listen to music for the melody, not the message. Rap doesn't focus on that as much as the other genres.

Of course, I'm not saying that rap is bad; it's just not for me.

I like rap. I hate it how almost all the popular rappers are trying to put on a "real gangsta" image, instead of just being themselves. Eminem can rhyme...You can't deny his lyrical abilities, honestly. His newer songs however have been him trying to put on image, that's where he lost it. 50 Cent would be better off dead, there's nothing good about him.
I'm not a fan of the "music" in rap but when it's done well the lyrics can be really engaging and tell a decent story.
Brenda's got a baby by 2Pac comes to mind here.

Probably right. The only rapper I like is eminem cuz he has been around for quite a while. I wish Vanilla Ice were still releasing albums....

ArceusShayminLovr said:
Probably right. The only rapper I like is eminem cuz he has been around for quite a while. I wish Vanilla Ice were still releasing albums...

V-Ice is still recording and releasing albums. He just isn't rapping anymore and hasn't for a long while. He does more of a nu metal like music now. He was rumored a couple years back to sign to psychopathic records, but nothing ever came of it.

Lil Wayne... some like him, some hate him. I like most of his guest appearences in other people's songs, but not much of his solo stuff.

PheonyxXx said:
V-Ice is still recording and releasing albums. He just isn't rapping anymore and hasn't for a long while. He does more of a nu metal like music now. He was rumored a couple years back to sign to psychopathic records, but nothing ever came of it.
That was sorta my point. :/ His new albums aren't any good. He was a lot better like, 10 years ago.

ArceusShayminLovr said:
That was sorta my point. :/ His new albums aren't any good. He was a lot better like, 10 years ago.

Idk, I didn't like Mr. Radio Friendly V-Ice at all. I love his newer image.

I can deal with a small section of rap in a song with singing like a few measures. However a song with at least half of it rap I do not like. I think Jay Z ruins a bunch of songs. I would love Empire State of Mind if he wasn't in it as much. Jay Z is repetetive and he doesn't have any rhythm. I am okay with Fergie rapping though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-8GUXaRig8
This all I need to post, atlv. rap is without a doubt some of the most emotional music i've ever heard.

Please stop calling rap music people. Educate your selves. Rap isn't really true music. I'm not saying it's all bad, just stop acting like these people are great musicians, because they're not.

People are so horribly ignorant about music... it's quite pathetic really.

DarthPika said:
Please stop calling rap music people. Educate your selves. Rap isn't really true music. I'm not saying it's all bad, just stop acting like these people are great musicians, because they're not.

People are so horribly ignorant about music... it's quite pathetic really.

Rap is wonderful music...we it was.

fortegoddx said:
Rap is wonderful music...we it was.

I wouldn't so much call it music, as rhythmically entertaining. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of nice rhythmic elements in rap, but from a strictly musical point of view, it fails.

@ All those who try to give some crappy philosophical argument about how "anything can be music as long as people listen" or something equally silly, you're dead wrong. Don't try to argue with me on that. I'm a music comp major, and I know what I'm talking about on this subject. :p

Lucario_aura_wielder said:
rap is talentless just about anybody could do it
I really disagree with this. I'm not much of a rap fan, but if you've ever heard it on the radio, or TV, it's fairly easy to tell that they have talent. Although all music is being more and more computer edited, people who sing rap still put a lot of thought, and a lot of practice into their music. People perform live, and their music still sounds good.

Anyways, NEW AGE <3

90's rap is the best. simplistic and catchy.

A Tribe Called Quest, Wu-tang, Souls of Mischief. all good stuff

I would have to agree with DarthPika here, I don't see what is so good about rap. People talking is considered music?

Anyone CAN rap. I can talk, you can talk, mostly everyone can talk. People can lipsync and no one would notice. We are also in the age where we have autotune to tune your voice. With technology, anyone can sing.

Lucario_aura_wielder said:
rap is talentless just about anybody could do it

Let's see you do it as fast as them then. :)

Aside from that dumb reply, rap is a mediocre genre.. It does display talent but the lyrics can sometimes be annoying as mortar said, it basically talks about sex and drugs.

#1weavile said:
I would have to agree with DarthPika here, I don't see what is so good about rap. People talking is considered music?

Anyone CAN rap. I can talk, you can talk, mostly everyone can talk. People can lipsync and no one would notice. We are also in the age where we have autotune to tune your voice. With technology, anyone can sing.

Almost everyone can talk yes, but can almost everyone do it with a rhythm? I doubt. Rapping is defined as "spoken or chanted rhyming lyrics with a strong rhythmic accompaniment" not talking fast.

To be honest, rap will and always have mixed opinions and that's fine but saying that rapping doesn't take talent at all is downright dumb.

Back