Rap

There's this one song (if you can call it a song) that rants about the type of music you make a case about TC. "You can't hold a torch" by busta rhymes.

And I usually just find instrumental versions. Unless the vocals sound good with the song (it's rare)

Electimortar said:
What do you guys think about rap, these days? Right now, I feel like rap these days is just an electronic voice talking about money/sex/drugs, and most rappers that put their heart and soul into their songs don't get recognized. What do you think?

You hit the nail on the head. It's simply this. I mean, some beats are great, but the lyrics are BAD.

EspeonROX said:
You hit the nail on the head. It's simply this. I mean, some beats are great, but the lyrics are BAD.

how many good emcees have you actually tried listening to?

Looking at this thread I can honestly say that it is pretty silly for the most (of course there are some comments that actually hold up that I can respect). I will admittedly say that the majority of songs on the radio are not quality, but in all honesty they're meant to please the most people as possible and not to showcase Rap/Hip Hops best artists and songs. You can't just listen to these songs that you hear on the radio and form an opinion on it. Once you listen to any artists that actually has message to his songs and a talent besides a slightly interesting beat, you may truly speak.

Moving on for those who say rap is so easy I really doubt that you have any understanding of literary devices or you again have only touched the tip of the iceberg with your effort to actually listen to rap/hip hop. Rappers are able to think of similes, metaphors, personification, understatements, hyperboles, and more that I really don't find to be present in most other genres (or at least not to the effect of). Being a rapper isn't just rhyming lyrics it is a lot more complex than most of you have been giving it credit for. Is it music? Somewhat but i still consider rap rap and hip hop hip hop. When I think of music I'm more thinking of singing, but I don't discredit rap in the least for spoken lyrics and rhymes.

@Espeonrox: Who do you listen to?

@Electimortar: Artists make what's going to sell records. People don't just get all the metaphorical/meaningful songs like they used to back in the 1990's and early 2000's. They like what has a good beat, decent rhyme, and catch phrases.

lilsparks101 said:
@Electimortar: Artists make what's going to sell records. People don't just get all the metaphorical/meaningful songs like they used to back in the 1990's and early 2000's. They like what has a good beat, decent rhyme, and catch phrases.

derp
Well you can thank America's market-base economy for that.

lilsparks101 said:
Artists make what's going to sell records. People don't just get all the metaphorical/meaningful songs like they used to back in the 1990's and early 2000's. They like what has a good beat, decent rhyme, and catch phrases.

People are stupid. Need I say more?

BTW, I wouldn't even call half the people in the popular music industry artists. (by popular, I mean all forms of popular music, not just pop)

DarthPika said:

BTW, I wouldn't even call half the people in the popular music industry artists. (by popular, I mean all forms of popular music, not just pop)
Basically, anything mainstream.

lilsparks101 said:
Looking at this thread I can honestly say that it is pretty silly for the most (of course there are some comments that actually hold up that I can respect). I will admittedly say that the majority of songs on the radio are not quality, but in all honesty they're meant to please the most people as possible and not to showcase Rap/Hip Hops best artists and songs. You can't just listen to these songs that you hear on the radio and form an opinion on it. Once you listen to any artists that actually has message to his songs and a talent besides a slightly interesting beat, you may truly speak.

Moving on for those who say rap is so easy I really doubt that you have any understanding of literary devices or you again have only touched the tip of the iceberg with your effort to actually listen to rap/hip hop. Rappers are able to think of similes, metaphors, personification, understatements, hyperboles, and more that I really don't find to be present in most other genres (or at least not to the effect of). Being a rapper isn't just rhyming lyrics it is a lot more complex than most of you have been giving it credit for. Is it music? Somewhat but i still consider rap rap and hip hop hip hop. When I think of music I'm more thinking of singing, but I don't discredit rap in the least for spoken lyrics and rhymes.

perhaps one of the best replies, if not the best reply in this thread...

I would highly doubt anything rappers say today, is hardly enough to constitute catch phrases...punchlines "rappers" try to use these days are fairly weak...but for the most part, alot rappers these days don't even write their own lyrics...honestly, you can almost compare rap and hiphop these days to the Soul & R&B genres of the 70's and 80's

during that period of time, R&B was going through a stage of transition to become what it is today...many people with a bit of singing talent wanted to get into the music biz, so many record companies trying to cash in on the genre even more, so they would hire these singing talents...however, barely any of these talents had any songwriting capability...so once this became evident, they often would turn to many Soul artists and musicians to write their songs, or other well known songwriters, and continue that tradition today...alot of today's most popular singers (in many genres) don't write their own songs...the same with rappers, the majority of people you are seeing become popular through rap music, don't write their own lyrics, they use ghostwriters...most of which, are hiphop artists who get no recognition for their work, unlike the R&B industry who credit the songwriters

DarthPika said:

just because someone listens to mainsteam music there stupid? that was just bias. grated I don't listen to most modern musicans, I prefer more unsual music like progisse, like porupine tree and triquatley dream or experimental, like radiohead or eyedea, but I don't call someone dumb just because they like chessy stuff like blink 182 or soulja boy, I just don't like there music taste.

PokeChamp said:
Music is like candy: throw the rappers away.

I absolutely hate rap. Most of them can't even properly articulate themselves, and as such you wind up with choppy at best, just plain out sloppy at worst lyrics. I, myself, find it to be one of the more rudimentary forms of expressing oneself. That is not to say that just because you rap makes you a bad performer; I have listened to a few rap songs that were pretty good, and several rappers aren't actually half-bad. But for the most part, the genre has become incredibly depressing to look at, even to listen to.

So yeah.

^

Gale said:
I like synthpop rap, like Uffie, but the mainstream stuff turns me off. Rap is one of those "like it or hate it" things.

Also, my iPod doesn't have one Lady GaGa, ke$ha, Black Eyed Peas, or any artist whose music is even seemingly like their music. It's my opinion that those artists and about 5,000 other ones out there suck. If you don't like my opinion, well... I feel sorry for you that you enjoy that music.

lol. I have all of those. Especially Lady Gaga. ;)

I still listen to other music though. :X

hating things because they're popular make you cool hurrrr

anywho I like a lot of 90's rap, not too much of the newer stuff however

Wow this thread is insane.

I love how people are talking about how good rap used to be. What are you basing this off of? The golden age? I may be wrong but it doesn't seem like most of the posters here were around for the 80s and early 90s, at least not consciously, heh. I also don't understand the thought that early 2000s rap is better than today.

There's also a few backpackers from what I can tell, which makes me lol. Eyedea, while I can see how he appeals to a certain range/age/style of person, is pretty terrible as a rapper.

I dunno. I feel like nowadays there are two camps of people who dislike rap. The first are the backpackers who hate anything on the radio but love listening to the old Deep Puddle Dynamics stuff and wax poetic about how 'lyrical and deep' it is, heh. The other are the people who just hate rap music and are always going to hate rap music, no matter what.

Lil Wayne, Slug, Drake, and Sage Francis are all great rappers. I can understand if you honestly just don't appreciate the music, but tons of you here are writing off an entire genre seemingly because you want all of your music to be 100% serious, deep, and emotional? (and there's rap that fits that bill too, y'know). I dunno, I think if you're over the age of 18 and can't appreciate bumping A Milli at 3 AM driving through town you aren't really living.

Some rap I like, others I do not. I'm more of Hip-Hop and R&B fan. Rap seems to have negative outlooks. I understand that some rappers are using their music in positive ways and their music contains positive lyrics, but most of that music is not played on the radio.

Electimortar said:
What do you guys think about rap, these days? Right now, I feel like rap these days is just an electronic voice talking about money/sex/drugs, and most rappers that put their heart and soul into their songs don't get recognized. What do you think?

best rap: RUN DMC,Nintendo Rap/etc.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYoyQ7uVuo4&feature=related

kwisdumb said:

I love how people are talking about how good rap used to be. What are you basing this off of? The golden age? I may be wrong but it doesn't seem like most of the posters here were around for the 80s and early 90s, at least not consciously, heh. I also don't understand the thought that early 2000s rap is better than today.

There's also a few backpackers from what I can tell, which makes me lol. Eyedea, while I can see how he appeals to a certain range/age/style of person, is pretty terrible as a rapper.

I dunno. I feel like nowadays there are two camps of people who dislike rap. The first are the backpackers who hate anything on the radio but love listening to the old Deep Puddle Dynamics stuff and wax poetic about how 'lyrical and deep' it is, heh. The other are the people who just hate rap music and are always going to hate rap music, no matter what.

Lil Wayne, Slug, Drake, and Sage Francis are all great rappers. I can understand if you honestly just don't appreciate the music, but tons of you here are writing off an entire genre seemingly because you want all of your music to be 100% serious, deep, and emotional? (and there's rap that fits that bill too, y'know). I dunno, I think if you're over the age of 18 and can't appreciate bumping A Milli at 3 AM driving through town you aren't really living.

really, I think it's more than just two groups...you have those that aren't backpackers and not really into backpack hiphop, but still prefer a lyrical emcee that makes sense when they spit, over some bunk radio rapper that's just talking about a bunch of nothing or nothing but money, drugs, sex, and other money related things

ya know, I was never really into Eyedea and Abilities....Slug, I like though, Sage is cool too...but as far as Wayne goes, Drake is the best out of that whole camp, and IMO being there, he's progressively getting worse, as he's just becoming wasted talent with that crew.....I want to see if Jay Electronica will get any shine now that he's signed with BadBoy...even though I think he would have been better off with BabyGrande records

you are right though...most people on this site, and even many that have commented on this thread, weren't consciously old enough to remember the "golden age" of rap & hiphop...but I've been around rap & hiphop from the beginning, through the golden age, on til' today.....and to me it has gotten progressively worse...you're right, not everything has to be 100% deep, serious, and emotional...but when all you're spitting about is pure BS, that's makes little to no sense, what's the point in listening to begin with?...you can still be lyrically good, and not have to be serious, deep, or emotional.....Pun was a prime example of that, not an emcee, but a rapper with amazing lyrical talent...who wasn't deep, serious, or emotional with his music

a millie at 3 am??? I'd rather go with Godz in da Front by the Demigodz, or Agony Fires, Swords Drawn, Dump the Clip, Bust Em' In, Spaz Out, or Seven by Army of the Pharoahs while driving though town

Eh, I've never really been into Demigodz or AOTP or anything. I like Apathy a bit but it's not really my style.

kwisdumb said:

Dude you also forgot the group that hates rap because they think they can do better than them.

My philosophy has always been, you can't call a whole genre dumb because it looks so easy but in fact it isn't.

Back