• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Return of the Lizard of Oz (Kecleon / Aromatisse / Mew / Lanturn)

Kecleon-X

124c41+
Experience: Veteran

Disclaimer: I have built this deck and it's actually okay!

Alright guys! So, years ago, when I was an intermediate Senior player, I ran THIS GUY with a bunch of things that add to his damage capabilities. I battled with him heavily, slaughtering Kingdra Prime decks and wading through Scizor Primes, Kecleon quickly became my favorite Pokemon, hence the name. Unfortunately, he was rotated (along with practically everything in my entire deck at once) and the chameleon faded into distant memory.

Until now.

The crafty chameleon hath returned in Plasma Freeze! This print leads me to my following decklist, which uses THIS GUY. This, my friends, is the Return of the Lizard of Oz.

Pokemon: 17
  • 3 Kecleon (PLF)
  • 2 Mew EX
  • 1 Terrakion EX
  • 1 Victini EX
  • 2 Aromatisse
  • 3 Spritzee
  • 2 Lanturn (PLF)
  • 2 Chinchou (PLF)
  • 1 Mr. Mime

Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 31
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 3 Skyla
  • 2 Colress
  • 2 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 2 Silver Bangle
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 3 Fairy Garden
  • 1 Max Potion
  • 1 Tool Scrapper
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Dowsing Machine

Energy: 13
  • 4 Rainbow Energy
  • 4 Prism Energy
  • 3 Fairy Energy
  • 2 Electric Energy

Strategy:

So basically, this deck works by using whatever your opponent brings to the table against them and toolboxing the rest. If they bring Deoxys EX, use Kecleon to use Helix Force against them, one-hitting them the instant they bring one up. If they play RayBoar, you will want to bring up the Baby Rays and Muscle Band a Kecleon if you can't stand to discard a Prism or Rainbow Energy against a Rayquaza EX with a Bangled/Banded Kecleon. Many fall to this chameleon's might; even the mighty troll of Sigilyph also falls victim to the boundless power of Kecleon!

However, what of those who, even with Kecleon's Color Change, cannot be KO'd with their own attacks? What if they abuse his low HP and use Lugia, or what if they take an easy KO with a triple energy, muscle-banded Yveltal EX? Well then, that's where Lanturn comes in. If they bring up an Yveltal EX or a Lugia EX, you bring up your Lanturn with a single Rainbow Energy attached and a Bangle. Then, you use his first attack and, because you have a Special Energy attached to you, you deal sixty, then with the Bangle damage, you deal 90. Because you are Electric, you one-hit all weak to you for a single energy. Not too bad against Yveltal, if I don't say so myself.

I have eliminated Mew EX and Virizion EX from the equation for Terrakion EX and Fairy Garden. My logic from taking Virizion EX out being, Darkrai Garbodor is one of the few, if not the only, deck that plays Hypnotoxic Laser in the first place. If they play it, they're going to have Garbodor up at least one turn, meaning Mew would be KO'd anyway. I have removed a Mew EX because it was much too frail for something that Kecleon could do easily, and am keeping it as a secondary means of attacking if my situation requires it.

I have also added in a line of Altaria. Altaria is for the matchup against RayBoar as Kecleon will change to the Dragon type, thus amplifying his damage output to a 60 with a Dragon Pulse against a Baby Ray, my biggest threat. I'm not going to have a Muscle Band every turn, so that helps me OHKO Baby Rays before they do the same to me with a Shred. Against their big brothers, I can just as easily Bangle a Kecleon than Bangle a Lanturn and discard a single Energy for the KO on a Rayquaza EX. I don't know why, but I make decks that are really good against RayBoar naturally, for some reason. *shrug*

Genesect is in there for the sole purpose of using Red Signal on Benched threats, while Thundurus is for Energy Acceleration!

Thanks for the view!

RE: Return of the Lizard of Oz (Kecleon / Aromatisse / Mew/ Lanturn)

Lol. Very nice deck :p. On a serious note, it totally depends on the playing style but as a suggestion I would take out maybe 1 thundurus EX for a Lugia EX, because #extraprizes and you're already running some plasma energy to go along with it, you could easily pull a surprise gale. Also, mewtwo EX or Yveltal EX could also be great in this deck as they too can swing for loads and #kekleonXball. Good luck with the tournament (lol)!

OMG KECLEON RISING RIVALS
Ah the good old days XD

What would be your idea setup/startup? How would you react to faster hitting acceleration decks? What's your counter to Darkrai?

zavtac said:
Lol. Very nice deck :p. On a serious note, it totally depends on the playing style but as a suggestion I would take out maybe 1 thundurus EX for a Lugia EX, because #extraprizes and you're already running some plasma energy to go along with it, you could easily pull a surprise gale. Also, mewtwo EX or Yveltal EX could also be great in this deck as they too can swing for loads and #kekleonXball. Good luck with the tournament (lol)!

True, that would bring a good amount of finishing power to the deck, however Thundurus is my only recovery for Prisms/Rainbow Energy, and he can only attach to a Plasma. Meaning, you would have to be attacking with Mew to attach to Thundurus.

blaZofgold said:
OMG KECLEON RISING RIVALS
Ah the good old days XD

What would be your idea setup/startup? How would you react to faster hitting acceleration decks? What's your counter to Darkrai?

Well, I would say that either Thundurus or Mew would be a great start, if not Kecleon if your opponent has exploitable goods on the field. Then, you use Thundurus' attack to attach multiple energy per turn. I would actually recommend to go second, so you can Raiden Knuckle as quickly as possible. Of course, everything is theoretical until the deck is actually built, but that is what the plan is.

Now, against Darkrai is my only problem. He resists Mew and he OHKOs Kecleon. I had a Terrakion EX in here, but I had to take that out for Genesect. Furthermore, I feel as though Fairy Garden might be nice in this deck, if I do run a fighting Pokemon with high retreat, such as Terrakion.

Made an edit to the deck to add in Terrakion EX, Fairy Garden and a nice, fan-dangled Altaria for hilarity.

I'm also going to build this deck for League tonight, so I'll get back to you guys on how it did! :D

EDIT: Looks like I don't have time to build it. Next week, then!

OMG TECH OVERLOADDDDDDDDDDD
Must add more techs :p

First things first
-2-2 Lanturn Line
+2-2 Raichu Line
It does the same thing.... but better.

-1-1 Altaria
I just... just... *sighs*
honestly the only dragon out there rn is Ray Ray so it doesn't matter.
+1-1 Aromatisse
Makes it more consistent

-1 Genesect
-2 thundurus
-2 Plasma energies
You can't move Plasmas and the catcher effect isn't that good in my opinion just for that - Also you can't add energies onto anything other than Plasma Pokes
+2 Fairy Energy
+1 Kecleon
+2 Mew Ex
This was your strategy right? I think this will be more fun and all more consistent.

-1 Terrakion EX
+1 Victini EX
I'd do this just so you don't auto-loss to Genesect/Virizion. Also if you really wanna you can turbo some fairy energies.

-1 Ultra Ball
+1 Fairy Garden
This is just a preference by me to have 3 Fairy Garden get em out there quickly and counter some stadiums

I'd also like to see you run an extra scrapper because you are completely reliant on abilities, but IDK where to fit it. :p Hope I helped :D

I'm not sure if you knew this, but Rayquaza EX's attack says you have to discard basic Energy. Special Energies don't work for Dragon Burst. With that in mind, you might want to add some Lightning Energies in so you can use Dragon Burst. You can also use them for Thundurus EX as well. You could probably just take out the 1-1 Altaria for 2 basic Lightnings. It doesn't seem all that needed with Silver Bangle and Muscle Band, and even if it might be useful, you would also have to set it up, which can be difficult to do with such a thin line.

I also think you should thicken the Aromatisse line, just in case 1 gets knocked out and 1 of the other pieces is prized. Since the deck is tight on space, I think a 3-2 line will suffice. I would take out a Level Ball for another Spritzee. 3 Level Ball seems a little unnecessary.

Here's the tl;dr in case you didn't feel like reading:

- 1-1 Altaria
- 1 Level ball
+ 2 Lightning Energy
+ 1 Spritzee

Hope my advice helped!

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
OMG TECH OVERLOADDDDDDDDDDD
Must add more techs :p

First things first
-2-2 Lanturn Line
+2-2 Raichu Line
It does the same thing.... but better.

Actually, Lanturn is there for Special Tackle and the ability to only use a single energy card for it, instead of Raichu, who takes two. I get what you're saying, but I just feel like it belongs in its own deck. (preferably one that runs DCE) ;)

-1-1 Altaria
I just... just... *sighs*
honestly the only dragon out there rn is Ray Ray so it doesn't matter.
+1-1 Aromatisse
Makes it more consistent

I agree. I still enjoy the concept of more damage, so perhaps more Muscle Band or Bangle or something of the sort?

-1 Genesect
-2 thundurus
-2 Plasma energies
You can't move Plasmas and the catcher effect isn't that good in my opinion just for that - Also you can't add energies onto anything other than Plasma Pokes

I agree with the fact that it is to my detriment that I cannot move Plasmas, however I must state that being able to "catcher" up my opponent's Rays have been extremely useful, especially with decks that thrive on Weaknesses such as this one. Plus, I cannot get back any of my special energy without Thundurus, but I will keep this in mind.

+2 Fairy Energy
+1 Kecleon
+2 Mew Ex
This was your strategy right? I think this will be more fun and all more consistent.

True. It was. I actually like this a lot.

-1 Terrakion EX
+1 Victini EX
I'd do this just so you don't auto-loss to Genesect/Virizion. Also if you really wanna you can turbo some fairy energies.

My only problem with this is the fact that I don't want to take the hard matchup to Darkrai. It's not like Mew can do much to him, and Kecleon has notoriously low HP. But then again, I would be doing the same for VirGen, so I guess it's just depending on what's in my area.

-1 Ultra Ball
+1 Fairy Garden
This is just a preference by me to have 3 Fairy Garden get em out there quickly and counter some stadiums

True, but I also feel like I need some sort of other draw power in this deck. Like Random Reciever or something of the sort.

I'd also like to see you run an extra scrapper because you are completely reliant on abilities, but IDK where to fit it. :p Hope I helped :D

Responses in bold! :D

Machamp The Champion said:
I'm not sure if you knew this, but Rayquaza EX's attack says you have to discard basic Energy. Special Energies don't work for Dragon Burst. With that in mind, you might want to add some Lightning Energies in so you can use Dragon Burst. You can also use them for Thundurus EX as well. You could probably just take out the 1-1 Altaria for 2 basic Lightnings. It doesn't seem all that needed with Silver Bangle and Muscle Band, and even if it might be useful, you would also have to set it up, which can be difficult to do with such a thin line.

I also think you should thicken the Aromatisse line, just in case 1 gets knocked out and 1 of the other pieces is prized. Since the deck is tight on space, I think a 3-2 line will suffice. I would take out a Level Ball for another Spritzee. 3 Level Ball seems a little unnecessary.

Here's the tl;dr in case you didn't feel like reading:

- 1-1 Altaria
- 1 Level ball
+ 2 Lightning Energy
+ 1 Spritzee

Hope my advice helped!

I actually didn't know that about Ray. That is troubling, and yet, I actually enjoy the prospect of Lightning Energy in there, if I keep Thundurus. If not, then I am not as certain. My whole logic with him was the fact that I was going to be discarding Energy with Dragon Burst if I were to face RayBoar, but now that I know he only takes basic Energy. I dunno. Maybe.

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
Why not just add a baby rayquaza instead of lightning energy? That way you can actually take a ko on them.

This would be nice, however if I were to run the Lightning Energy, I would have a Prism/Rainbow Energy on a Kecleon, then discard a single Lightning Energy whilst Bangled and take the OHKO. Then, if he comes up with a revenge Baby Ray or its big brother, I would lose only a single Rainbow Energy on the Kecleon, whereas I would be losing three if I ran a Baby Ray. I actually think that Lightning Energy is actually a better option, in this case.

socery said:
This deck is hilarious I played online

Glad you liked it! Having fun with a winning, ridiculously evil deck is my goal when building a deck (which is one of the reasons why I don't play Meta decks)! Of course, since you have now officially played it more than I, what did you observe? Such as, what do you think I should add?

A couple of things. First of all, KEEP THE TERRAKION. It is so helpful, even with energy acceleration. But definitely lose the alteria line, but lanturn over raichu. Lose the genesects and thunderous's and plasmas, put in a victini so you have both terrakion and victini. Definitely more kecleon, maybe one more mew, but I would maybe play a 2-2 line of zoroark, because of mew being a ex. No need for baby quaza, but you can play it if you have a extra spot. Maybe add 2 more fairy? But you could also add one fairy energy and one fairy garden. These are just some of the stuff I noticed while playing this deck. I might also play a mewtwo for Keldeos.

Edited the decklist to meet some of your ideas. I have also added in the Lightning Energy, as to annihilate the heck out of Rayquaza EX and friends. Actually, I can even use it for Black Kyruem's attack, as well, so there's that! New ideas keep coming...

Anyway! I'm headed to a tournament (and I don't have the cards for this, so I can't play it in there yet) and am going to play the proxied version and see how it goes.

Okay, so it went really well!

I faced Darkrai/Baby Yveltal/Bouffelant as my first match with the deck, and unfortunately I only managed to get Kecleon off once. He luck sacked the heck out of my benched Kecleon by flipping heads on all his Catcher and having a LaserBank with a Muscle-Banded Baby Yveltal. But, then, I used Lanturn and he did his job perfectly. My only complaint was I was whiffing the Rainbows quite a lot during the game, which kind of makes me want to say Computer Search instead of Dowsing Machine, but here's the thing: When I used Immitack, it was on a Sableye, which I used to get my Dowsing Machine back to wait around for a while, just in case he Ns or something changes. I then used it for a clutch Tool Scrapper of my own Bangle on my Lanturn to replace it with a Muscle Band. It was really awesome, especially since I drew my Terrakion off the prizes. Afterward, I simply annihilated any Darkrai in my path with Terrakion (and Max Potion in-hand) and Lanturn for any Yveltal that tried to ruin my day on the bench. I think that Kecleon was awesome for what he did, yet I cannot help but feel he was rather useless in that matchup. I think I got a turn three Aromatisse? Not bad, but slower than I would have liked.

(Fairy Garden was ridiculously useful)

I kind of feel like a Virizion could be of use, but I don't want to take out Victini, because even in this game, he was useful for Turbo Energize.

That's awesome to hear it worked for you! Especially against Darkrai/Yveltal. That deck is almost too good, in my opinion.

Kecleon-X said:
My only complaint was I was whiffing the Rainbows quite a lot during the game, which kind of makes me want to say Computer Search instead of Dowsing Machine...

Funny you should mention that, because I just thought of something cool you can do with Lanturn: If you attach a Basic Lightning to it, you can move a Prism Energy onto it and get the same effect from the attack as you would if you just put a Rainbow onto it. I was just about to comment on how you should change the Lightning Energy to Fire Energy, since you cut Thundurus and now have Victini EX, but realizing that about Lanturn, I'd say keep them in.

I think their are too many crucial Trainers in this deck to cut Dowsing Machine. Muscle Band, Silver Bangle, Max Potion, Fairy Garden, Super Rod, all of them can be game-winning if you can get another one. Computer Search would be nice, to get those Special Energies from the deck, but I think overall, Dowsing Machine is the better of the 2.

Great! How many kecleon did you play? And even terrakion can be good for energy acceleration (power-up punch? I think).

Machamp The Champion said:
That's awesome to hear it worked for you! Especially against Darkrai/Yveltal. That deck is almost too good, in my opinion.

Kecleon-X said:
My only complaint was I was whiffing the Rainbows quite a lot during the game, which kind of makes me want to say Computer Search instead of Dowsing Machine...

Funny you should mention that, because I just thought of something cool you can do with Lanturn: If you attach a Basic Lightning to it, you can move a Prism Energy onto it and get the same effect from the attack as you would if you just put a Rainbow onto it. I was just about to comment on how you should change the Lightning Energy to Fire Energy, since you cut Thundurus and now have Victini EX, but realizing that about Lanturn, I'd say keep them in.

I think their are too many crucial Trainers in this deck to cut Dowsing Machine. Muscle Band, Silver Bangle, Max Potion, Fairy Garden, Super Rod, all of them can be game-winning if you can get another one. Computer Search would be nice, to get those Special Energies from the deck, but I think overall, Dowsing Machine is the better of the 2.

I agree. The sheer fact that it's good against Yveltal/Darkrai (Darkrai isn't really the main attacker anymore! :p ) is a major drawing factor for me. There's, like, barely anything to counter Yveltal, so that's nice, too.

You'd actually be surprised about me using the Prism Energy for Lanturn; I actually used it quite a lot. It went against most everything I ever knew about attaching Energy, but it worked, so I can't complain!

I also agree about the Dowsing Machine. That's why I am so reluctant to take it out. Having a second Max Potion or Tool Scrapper is really awesome.

socery said:
Great! How many kecleon did you play? And even terrakion can be good for energy acceleration (power-up punch? I think).

Well, counting the two that he luck-sacked into oblivion, three. I had to Super Rod two of them back into the deck. I actually didn't use Mew a single time that game, actually, which surprises me. And yes, Pump-Up Smash is actually one of the reasons I won the game so easily.

Speaking of Mew, that card could probably be removed actually. Depending on how Kecleon-dependent you want to be.

I agree slightly, due to his lack of use in my game. However, in a matchup where my opponent plays, say, Yveltal, and he has one on the bench with a Darkrai active, and I have either one turn to lose the game or a turn to win on my turn, I would be able to throw all the energy on the field to Mew and use Yveltal's Evil Ball to hopefully OHKO the Darkrai. Furthermore, Kecleon has to rely on the active, whereas Mew can use anything on anyone. I think maybe taking one out would be okay, for, say, another Fairy Energy or maybe another Tool Scrapper.

Back