BW/BW2 Rival ideas anyone?

What will the new rival be like?

• Total voters
i was just thinking what the rival would be like
would he be...

cocky (like blue)
evil than good (like silver)
sick (like wally)
battles a few times than quits (like brendan/may)
impatient (like barry)
or something else

when you stop by vote.

The rival to me will probably always want to battle with the player and wants to be stronger everytime though he would somewhat act like Paul and be mean sometime. But he would pressure the player to battle him and if you disagree then he would call you a chicken and be afraid of battling him. It's probably a mix of emotions for the rival somewhat like Barry and Paul mixed together.

Or I can be completely wrong and he could be like Silver and act so evil and such.

Okay, here's what I'm hoping for:

-Female Rival
-A nice rival. Someone who kind of idolizes you in a way and continues to want to get stronger to face you and eventually be as good as you.

:) Just my hopes. Probably won't happen though. *sighh*

But, I do predict that their going to do the same thing they did for RSE for these games and make the semi-rival the other gender character. Because if you look at all the games, pretty much all the hero and heroines look kind of similar.
GSC: Ethan and Kris look a little alike.
FRLG: YES. Red and Leaf look so much alike.
DPP: Lucas and Dawn could be twins to me. Just saying.

The only game that doesn't follow that pattern is RSE where May and Brendan look nothing alike and they ended up being semi-rivals. I think that the character's this time don't really look alike and have some distinct features so I'm hopeful. However, then again most people think they look alike and they did break the pattern with HGSS too but I wasn't counting it because it was a remake but, meh. So there is still a likely hood they won't be semi-rivals but i'd kind of like it if my initial hope fails.

I'm still wanting the separate female rival though who's not the female character.

I would actully like to see a male and female rival depending on your gender, boy v.s. boy, girl v.s. girl and I would like them to be like blue and have them have pokemon that depend on what level your pokemon are so they grow with you.

Having more then 1 rival might be cool. Though I don't think that would happen. It would be quite hectic around the game because they would keep coming and ask for a battle. I really think that the game creators are going to stick with 1 rival.

There was already a thread like this, but it's old...

Girl rival. All the way. She can be Professor Araragi's daughter. I want her to be hardcore, and very competitive. But not like Barry. Barry was a spaz. She just needs to be competitive and awesome.

I think the rival should be a boy mainly because in every game the rival has always been a boy and I don't think they would change the pattern now, he should be like Silver being the son of the evil teams boss and be somewhat like Green/Blue/Gary with a competitive side. Then after the evil teams boss disturbs Reshiram/Zekrom your rival could see that what his fathers been doing is wrong and becomes a good guy, he could then help you take down his father and calm down Reshiram/Zekrom! The rival then returns back to his hometown and decides to stay out of trouble but sometimes battles you again at the Pokemon League or at his house to get stronger!

DarkraiLord said:
I think the rival should be a boy mainly because in every game the rival has always been a boy and I don't think they would change the pattern now, he should be like Silver being the son of the evil teams boss and be somewhat like Green/Blue/Gary with a competitive side. Then after the evil teams boss disturbs Reshiram/Zekrom your rival could see that what his fathers been doing is wrong and becomes a good guy, he could then help you take down his father and calm down Reshiram/Zekrom! The rival then returns back to his hometown and decides to stay out of trouble but sometimes battles you again at the Pokemon League or at his house to get stronger!
Nice description you have there. ;)
I really think that this could really actually happen though IMO the rival is somewhat like Paul and Barry mixed together. Always wanting to battle you but also thinking that everyone is weaker then him.

This is the i would have my rival
He or she would be the child of the Pokémon Champion
They would Cocky all the time Saying there going 2 be the next Champ cos of there parent
They would beat the Champion then you have 2 beat them (just like Red/Blue)

Now, I am not one who is much into Contests or anything. I really only play in Contests when I am extremely bored. But it would be nice if they had a rival for Contests, too. But not in the sense where you just see them every single competition and he/she is hard to beat contest-wise. It would be worthwhile (for me) if they also battled you from time to time. And had a cute yet strong team, obviously with Chiraamii in it. XP

Then the actual "battle" rival could be from Hiun. I think it would be nice for once to have a rival like that: someone who you did not grow up with, but share an instant friendly rivalry upon meeting. You could encounter him maybe as he is fighting off a grunt from the bad team, and afterwards he talks with you, tells you a little about the bad team and what they're after at the time, and either battle you or give you his "#", so to speak (whatever kind of communication device they'll have or something along those lines). It could be very Lance-esque, with the whole intro of, "I'm a trainer, just like you" to make him seem normal and such. But then he has some strong pokemon. Perhaps, to fit in with the whole Yin/Yang idea, he could have been forced to work for the team, and throughout the story tries to break away from them but can't, then becoming a key factor in the triggering of >insert legendary-induced natural disaster here<, leaving you to solve it.

Maybe I got a little too into that one. But it'd be nice to at least have some kind of rival who doesn't spaz, act bratty, go from overly mean to extremely mushy, or somply battles you two or three times with barely-average pokemon. I just really liked how they set up Lance's character, and Hiun City is the perfect place to introduce such a mysterious, modest, and strong trainer.

Fire_Master said:
Now, I am not one who is much into Contests or anything. I really only play in Contests when I am extremely bored. But it would be nice if they had a rival for Contests, too. But not in the sense where you just see them every single competition and he/she is hard to beat contest-wise. It would be worthwhile (for me) if they also battled you from time to time. And had a cute yet strong team, obviously with Chiraamii in it. XP

Then the actual "battle" rival could be from Hiun. I think it would be nice for once to have a rival like that: someone who you did not grow up with, but share an instant friendly rivalry upon meeting. You could encounter him maybe as he is fighting off a grunt from the bad team, and afterwards he talks with you, tells you a little about the bad team and what they're after at the time, and either battle you or give you his "#", so to speak (whatever kind of communication device they'll have or something along those lines). It could be very Lance-esque, with the whole intro of, "I'm a trainer, just like you" to make him seem normal and such. But then he has some strong pokemon. Perhaps, to fit in with the whole Yin/Yang idea, he could have been forced to work for the team, and throughout the story tries to break away from them but can't, then becoming a key factor in the triggering of >insert legendary-induced natural disaster here<, leaving you to solve it.

Maybe I got a little too into that one. But it'd be nice to at least have some kind of rival who doesn't spaz, act bratty, go from overly mean to extremely mushy, or somply battles you two or three times with barely-average pokemon. I just really liked how they set up Lance's character, and Hiun City is the perfect place to introduce such a mysterious, modest, and strong trainer.

That Would Be Awesome!!!

We don't know much about the player characters themselves, so it's somewhat hard to discern the rival's personality. We've been informed that the player characters are older than before, and some people think the rival might be related to Professor Araragi. Why couldn't it be Araragi's brother or sister, for example, since she doesn't look too old. I could go with something else, if they manage to pull it off well. Also, I'd very much love for there to be a Contest (or whatever the Generation V equivalent may be) rival, like Fire_Master pointed out.

@Fire_Master

I don't know, your scenario reminded me a lot right away of Silver (you don't know him growing up, he's fairly strong, and he has ties to the evil group he can't break from - try as he might). Still interesting though!

And I find it funny how you reference this character to Lance - but only because I just finished reading Pokemon Special Yellow Arc and how EXTREMELY different Lance (and just about everyone else) is portrayed.

I wouldn't mind the rival being the character you don't pick as yourself (the boy if you pick the girl, or the girl if you pick the boy).

However, I would'nt like them being like Brendan/May where they only battle you a few times, then give up.

Back