XY Shiny Pokémon Mechanics: Less Rare in X / Y

RE: Shiny Pokémon in X / Y: Less Rare and More Special

I've been trying the Masuda method for the past three days, nothing. Find a horde of Gulpin tonight and one of em's blue.. *flips a table*

It does mark my third shiny in the 15 years I've been playing but why a stupid Gulpin?!

Warrior Weasel 1986 said:
I've been trying the Masuda method for the past three days, nothing. Find a horde of Gulpin tonight and one of em's blue.. *flips a table*

It does mark my third shiny in the 15 years I've been playing but why a stupid Gulpin?!

That's ok man, I found a shiny stunfisk whilst EVing last game, and that was my first shiny in like six years. I know your pain :)

Just caught a shiny Scraggy :D It was in a horde, so I had no idea which one's to attack!

Towards the beginning of the game, I ran into a shiny Riolu. I was talking to my friend, also playing X, and I almost screamed. I didn't attack it (I was too scared I would kill it :p) and just spammed Pokeballs at it until I caught it. It's my second random-encounter shiny, right after Buneary in Platnium. I can't wait to see shiny Mega Lucario!

I hope that the rumors that shinies are more common is false. I think it's cool how rare and special they are.

JUST CAUGHT A SHINY SCRAGGY FROM HORDE GRINDING.

Don't care what you say, still special.

Robot said:
Towards the beginning of the game, I ran into a shiny Riolu. I was talking to my friend, also playing X, and I almost screamed. I didn't attack it (I was too scared I would kill it :p) and just spammed Pokeballs at it until I caught it. It's my second random-encounter shiny, right after Buneary in Platnium. I can't wait to see shiny Mega Lucario!

I hope that the rumors that shinies are more common is false. I think it's cool how rare and special they are.

I hope you realize that's only because you caught one. Those of us who's only shiny catch was an auto-shiny wish we could have one ourselves, and common shinies is just what we need.

Curse that shiny Sandslash in the HeartGold Safari Zone...

I think that horde battles give you an increased chance of getting a shiny Pokemon. After all, you are fighting 5 different pokemon.

Also, has anyone seen a shiny in the friend safari? I'd really like to know as I can get Charmeleon and shiny Charmeleon is a want for me :)

Reggie McGigas said:
I think that horde battles give you an increased chance of getting a shiny Pokemon. After all, you are fighting 5 different pokemon.

Also, has anyone seen a shiny in the friend safari? I'd really like to know as I can get Charmeleon and shiny Charmeleon is a want for me :)

Yes, someone on Reddit posted a pic of a shiny Shuppet they got from the Friend Safari.

Found my first shiny since Platinum: A shiny Tangela in the Friend Safari. Kinda pointless since I got one in Platinum the same way (Great Marsh). Bad luck Brian right here...

I've heard that shiny's are supposed to be easier to find, so I was excited, yet I still haven't found a single shiny. I even soft reseted for 3 hours trying for a shiny froakie yet nothing. I've only seen 3 shiny's my entire life, accidentally crit-killing all 3 of them. :/

Reggie McGigas said:

Proof from yours truly, found in PMJ's safari, of all places:
ezimba19847141924000.png

Someone with a safari with two starters (say a Grass safari with Quilladin and Ivysaur) is gonna have a field day with shiny hunting o_o

Does anyone know if the Masuda Method still works for sure. I believe so but i have hatched about 400 charmander eggs and still nothing, where as i had a shiny absol within 25 eggs.

I've been playing since Gen 1, NEVER even SEEN a Shiny... >_<

(Red Gyarados & Co. don't count.)

Sheriff_K said:
I've been playing since Gen 1, NEVER even SEEN a Shiny... >_<

(Red Gyarados & Co. don't count.)

Have you ever used repels?
I have played since G1 as well, and a buddy of mine has as well. He's seen two shiny pokes in the past 15 years. He used Max repels.
I have found, several, I'm talking 30ish in B/W(2) alone.
I never use any form of repels.

KYL3HiLL4N said:
Does anyone know if the Masuda Method still works for sure. I believe so but i have hatched about 400 charmander eggs and still nothing, where as i had a shiny absol within 25 eggs.

Know your pain, but im pretty sure it does. I masuda methoded a shiny zorua a few days ago... Since then I've tried to MM a hawlucha, to no avail.

From what I've seen reading this thread, and my own thoughts, the less rare it is, the less special it is, so even if the rarity goes down and however GF makes them special, all the shiny Pokemon you find in XY aren't rare and aren't special; just a common commodity.

Equinox said:
From what I've seen reading this thread, and my own thoughts, the less rare it is, the less special it is, so even if the rarity goes down and however GF makes them special, all the shiny Pokemon you find in XY aren't rare and aren't special; just a common commodity.

I don't get this train of thought. Even if the chances dropped to, say, 1/200, they would still be rare. They would also be just as special as ever. Not calling you out specifically (seen the same thought at multiple places), but it just seems like selfish thinking.

What would it matter if more people had them? Does that make yours any less special? Is it so bad that others can get them as well without having to pour dozens of hours into a silly game?

And nah, I'm not salty as I've been accused of elsewhere. I've got four legit shinies I've obtained myself. I just don't see why I should be some special somebody because I had the time to pour into the game to get them.

speaking of shinies... does anybody know if Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde are shiny blocked?

It's not that, it's just shiny Pokemon have acclimated into the minds of people as these very rare events, that, when caught is supposed to give you a good feeling. It's not that I don't want people from getting shiny Pokemon, I never said that, never brought it up even. Shiny Pokemon are meant to be special, and therefore should be rare. I don't mind the percentage getting decreased a little, but shiny Pokemon have always supposed to have teased us with this idea of being near impossible to get (not really), and to see them become common just makes them as meaningless as they really are.

Short and to the Point: If shiny Pokemon aren't rare than what's the point in even having them, and I don't care if they are only a little easier to find but only if it's something like Masuda method/shiny charm.

Back