XY Shiny Pokémon Mechanics: Less Rare in X / Y

RE: Shiny Pokémon in X / Y: Less Rare & More Special

Keep in mind that this thread is not to share the shiny Pokémon you found, nor a trade thread. You can use the chat for casual talk and Wi-Fi Central for trades! Here you can share your opinion on the new shiny Pokémon encounter mechanics.

Drohn said:
Keep in mind that this thread is not to share the shiny Pokémon you found, nor a trade thread. You can use the chat for casual talk and Wi-Fi Central for trades! Here you can share your opinion on the new shiny Pokémon encounter mechanics.

Why not let this be a general shiny thread for the gen 6 games? Don't see the point in limiting it with only discussions around the new techniques of finding shinies (which only seems to be the chain-fishing method at the moment).

I think it would be better if we could just discuss the shinies we've found, discuss their different appearances from previous generations (mainly because of the superior graphics), give tips to those struggling to find shinies and so on.

Just my opinion of course...

Ka$h Money said:
Drohn said:

Why not let this be a general shiny thread for the gen 6 games? Don't see the point in limiting it with only discussions around the new techniques of finding shinies (which only seems to be the chain-fishing method at the moment).

I think it would be better if we could just discuss the shinies we've found, discuss their different appearances from previous generations (mainly because of the superior graphics), give tips to those struggling to find shinies and so on.

Just my opinion of course...

Next to that it is off-topic, posting that you found or did not find a shiny Pokémon does not promote intelligent discussion, which these forums are for. The methods of finding shiny Pokémon CAN be discussed since that is on-topic; this will also help those who want to find shiny Pokémon, but don't know how to improve their chances.

If you have more questions, please ask them in private to avoid more off-topic posting.

Ok, so..Saying wich Shiny you have caught is seen as Off-Topic?

ShinyVincent said:
Ok, so..Saying wich Shiny you have caught is seen as Off-Topic?

Saying- just found a shiny charmander is off topic
Saying -just found a shiny charmander, I was breeding with the Masuda mathod and it was very fast since I got oval charm from sycamore which you get after you find all pokemon in kalos dex-on topic

why ?
The first one - Doesn't helps anyone so much -you cannot say to that anything really more then wow lucky you
The second one -People might learn something from it-I can response to that more then 3 words.

This thread from what i read on the first post dose not seem to be fully on mechanics but more so on opinions so it is more of a discussion thread than a "telling you about mechanics of shinys in 6th gen" thread.

Ok kids let's wrap up the fighting...anyways I was wondering if tipping affects the Masuda Method. Which now that I think about it, has the ratio for shinies using the Masuda method changed??

Mystreon said:
This thread from what i read on the first post dose not seem to be fully on mechanics but more so on opinions so it is more of a discussion thread than a "telling you about mechanics of shinys in 6th gen" thread.

Since we don't really know the facts of the gen VI shiny mechanics, we can't pose much more than opinion and theory on how it works. We can only extract from our experiences at this point.

---

A different thought: I'm assuming that the bulk of the shinies that people find are going to be from the Friend Safari. But how many people have found wild shinies while running through their game? Do we know if that's the same as past generations, or have people had more luck in that area, too?

TheRoyalXerneas said:
Ok kids let's wrap up the fighting...anyways I was wondering if tipping affects the Masuda Method. Which now that I think about it, has the ratio for shinies using the Masuda method changed??

Some other things that we know affect hatching are hatching power and the oval charm. So, those alone could increase the chances of finding a shiny (simply by allowing people to greatly increase the speed at which their eggs hatch, etc.). Personally, I have found no correlation between tipping and shiny pokemon. Actually, when I tipped I didn't find anything for days, because of course I ran and tipped everybody I could find upon hearing of the rumor. Lol.

I see some people still need some clarification. As I mentioned in my previous posts, this thread is to discuss your opinion about how you feel about shiny Pokémon being more common. Since that is related to the shiny Pokémon encounter mechanics it is still okay to discuss those here and share information and opinions about them.

Posts that are considered spam in this thread include posting which shiny Pokémon you found or couldn't find, discussing trades, and other posts that are not relevant nor promote intelligent discussion.

I will repeat once more that if you're still not sure you can message a moderator rather than posting it in here to prevent off-topic posting in threads! :)

As some of us still wondering behind the mystery of tipping, i'll post my thought upon this. The popular question is "Does tipping confirmed to affect the increase of shiny encounter rate?"

The answer is "No, it's not confirmed, it's just speculation".

One can wonder what is the reason behind this tipping mechanic and why it's rumored to be related with shinies. Some point that i thought upon this are:

- In Pokemon Global Link, there is a medal for a "Generous Tipper", it's given if you tip some people enough. Who knows that the tipping mechanic is simply created for this medal?

- In Battle Maison, one of the opponent (a Tourist) says "Is this one of THOSE regions where we must give some tip to people?". This statement might not important at all, just noticed that since Kalos is flooded with tourists, the tipping mechanic might be a flavor to the game, just to make it like a more alive region.

- In Cafe Cyclone in Lumiose city, you can tip up to 3 people there, a mimic, a poet, and a Furfrou. The owner said that tipping is a "kindness toward others", this might be related to the medal from GL before, or it might show that we can be rewarded for showing kindness toward others.

As for my personal experience, i made it a habit to tip some people before going to hunt some shinies. Whenever i find a shiny in the friend safari, i'll go back to tip some more people again before starting to hunt again, it's just a habit. With this habit i managed to find 15 shinies until now.

So in the end there's nothing that can confirm the relation between tipping and shinies. I'm starting to believe that the whole tipping is just for the GL medals and a game flavor. :rolleyes:

I did try tipping many times, it did nothing for me. In my experience I tip every hour 1k for 2 days, got no shiny encounters or hatched any shinies. then later I don't tip at all and I restricted my hunting to almost solely friend safari. I got many shinies from there. So I think tipping only increases style and obtain the medal for it, but doesn't raise shiny encounter. Friend safari however, seems to have a slightly higher shiny encounter rate than searching in other places outside it (chain fishing aside)

momoxmomo said:
MrSquarepants said:
Nah sychronize ain't great.. it's only 50% after all... that's what screwed my shiny Flabebe over. Now I'm masuda methoding for a Modest one.

...I have a JPN Ditto with the tag and everything and my Floette I caught in a Friend Safari, I'm doing this right. right?

Cause I did hear something about Ditto no longer works for the Masuda Method but who can confirm this for me?
I think it works. I had an American Ditto and a Japanese Pupitar, and, on the first try, I got a shiny Larvitar.

Thanks for the reply! I actually did manage to hatch a shiny Flabebe with that Ditto. Bugger IVs though and then I just realized the person lied to me about the 5IVs... and I gave up my Mewtwo for this?! Well it WAS foreign and had max Special Def IVs but going off topic for a second...

Do. Not. Trade. Legendaries. For foreign Dittos that say "5V" or "6V"

They're lying, it only has 2 IVs most of the time.

Back to my shiny Flabebe story.

It took 36 eggs (I know wtf) and the LAST 5... I didn't hatch for a week... got lazy and bored. Then when I started to do it again the first egg that hatches... and right after I decided to tip Phil the Photo Guy for good luck... it turned out to be shiny.

Is it affected by the tip? Or was the egg already shiny before I even tipped the guy?

I can't say. I do know that right now I am hatching a blue shiny Flabebe with good IVs, the parents are a French Pikachu and a 4IV Flabebe from the shiny mother I got from the Pokeradar (not that shiny parents do anything I just wanted the IVs and blue flower)

I'm at 90 eggs and nothing. Tipped at the café with the Furfrou, cosplayer and poet. Tipped Phil the Photo Guy twice. Nada.

Perhaps it was all just a coincidence... But I'll keep at the eggs.

Another interesting note...

I was training my poke's at the Wow Café and tipped them 3 times.

I then decided to try chain fishing. Shiny Magikarp within 38 hooks.

Then I went to play my brother's game. It took 78 hooks before I found shiny Skrelp (plus another 20 or so if you count the times it broke). I tipped only once. Hmmmm...

Tipping just gets more curious as I play...

I have a German Vivillon from a trade. Does that mean I can get Shiny Garden Scatterbug easily?

I'm guessing the tipping thing is BS. A few days ago I was level-grinding my newly EV'd Zygarde in the 3 star restaurant, and since I'm myself, I tipped 1,000 every time. I did this about 10 times before I got bored of the task. My recent tests (also testing the synchronize method):
Noibat: Received after ~10 hours of encountering, Synchronizer was Adamant. Received Relaxed.
Toxicroak: Received after a few hours of encountering, estimate 2. Synchronizer was impish (was aiming for Garbodor) Syncronize failed. Was Hasty.

I'm guessing that any attempt to manipulate friend safari shinies may be futile, sorry to say :( I'm trying again after a bit of tipping with an impish synchronizer and I'm aiming for a shuckle, so I'll update that when I receive whatever shiny the Friend Safari decides to throw my way.

I dunno about this. I do like the fact that it is so rare to get a shiny especially when you encounter one randomly. And I think if they were to make it more common, it would make them a little less special to find. Oh I found a shiny geodude! Oh wait, I have 10 of those guys so whatever.

(And for the record, I still have yet to find a shiny in Pokemon Y)

i have found around ten shinys in the friend safari so far but looks lik my lucks ran out been a couple day now nothing im trying to find a ninetales. I too think that tipping is useless i have been doing it every now and then of the course of these couple day iv been hunting and nothing.

Patob215 said:
I dunno about this. I do like the fact that it is so rare to get a shiny especially when you encounter one randomly. And I think if they were to make it more common, it would make them a little less special to find. Oh I found a shiny geodude! Oh wait, I have 10 of those guys so whatever.

People tend to look negatively about this issue when they're yet to find shinies, so try finding one first, you might change your opinion afterwards.:)

In fact, it's not that easy to get shiny in XY. You still need dedication and time to spend to do it. You can't expect to find a shiny that you want easily. That still makes it fun and rare, since you don't know what shinies will you get even though you're focusing a search on one. :p

Ririka said:
Patob215 said:

People tend to look negatively about this issue when they're yet to find shinies, so try finding one first, you might change your opinion afterwards.:)

In fact, it's not that easy to get shiny in XY. You still need dedication and time to spend to do it. You can't expect to find a shiny that you want easily. That still makes it fun and rare, since you don't know what shinies will you get even though you're focusing a search on one. :p
Don't get me wrong I have gotten shinies before. When I was playing Pokemon Pearl for the first time, I had found 2 shiny geodudes, gastly, raticate, and purugly and gotten Pokerus. And when I restarted the game to do a nuzlocke, I found another shiny gastly by random encounter. I guess it's just a matter of luck and or patience like you've said :).

I haven't had any luck with shinies, so I don't see why they should be less special. Sure, there are ways to find them now, but at least people won't rant the usual "I've played Pokemon for fifteen years and never caught a shiny." Now, with still time and dedication, they can. Go crazy.

Most of me is excited that shinies are more common (or in more accurate words, slightly less rare.), I might be able to find a few on my own this gen! Go me! All the shinies I've obtained have been through trade, from people either going to reset their games soon or just didn't want them anymore. Yes there are people that are finding a lot of shinies already, but I don't think that makes them less special. They still have to put time and effort in finding them, which alone I think keeps them special. I am interested in knowing the new shiny encounter rate though. I'd like to know how much it has been tweaked.

Back