Slugma/ Shaymin/ Reshiram

DK Quagmire

Aspiring Trainer
i was going through some of the card scans on the main page and noticed this Power Slugma has, and thought, what if we played a fire deck like this, as if it was ZPS.

67-slugma.jpg

8-shaymin.jpg

113-reshiram.jpg

You will also need research Record and Pokedex for this to work, so heres the strategy
get reshiram active and place slugma on bench, and if you have another one, even better.
attach a fire to reshiram. use a record. if you see a fire energy, put it on the top and use the first slugma to grab it. if you have Juniper in you hand, keep those 3 cards on the top. if not then any put the cards at the bottom of your deck. then use any other items you may have in your hand like plus power and duel ball before finally using a juniper, if you where lucky to get it in your opening hand and your bound to get one.
then use a pokedex or another research and the odds are there is going to be another fire energy to take, even if the 4 cards where no fire, and you placed them at the bottom, the top card might then be a fire.

well anyway, you should of drawn into a shaymin by now, or even the second Slugma (If you didn't get one earlier) and played the 2 slugmas powers, now you just use shaymin to shift the energy to active reshiram, for a turn 1 Blue Flare!

still working on Recovery issues though.

other assential cards
-You will need Duel balls if you need to get that turn one juniper, hopefully getting at least another Slugma.
-Junk arm to re use those pokedex and research cards
-Energy switch to move the energy if you don't get Shaymin.
-You can use Recycle from the new Emerging Powers set to get a discarded Fire on top of your deck, at the cost of a coin flip, to use Slugma's ability on the next turn guarantied.
Recycle was originally from the Classic Fossil set, so i'm glad it's in the new BW set.
-Cheren (Also from Emerging Powers) can also be used in your opening hand to draw into those rubbish cards that you might have revealed at the top of your deck giving a better chance for fire energy being there in the next Research or pokedex, but that does use your supporter for the turn.
-PONT and Copycat are also optional but in small numbers. helps to shuffle away those top deck cards for a fresh list when you look next time.
-At least 1 or 2 FSL to replenish your deck of fire energy.
-Revive to get slugma back or any other pokemon that might have been Juniper Fodder. also to bring back Reshiram.
-Buffalant #91 revenge, would be another card worth using, if your active should die next turn, from bad luck with draws and such.
and don't forget about Seeker and Super Scoop up to re-use those shaymin.

what do you guys think of this combo, and do you think it would work?

It's pretty neat, but then again, it's very luck-based. Active Volcano can make or break you, discarding cards you may need.

So you would need a 4 Docs and 4 Dex engine with maybe Slowking's to prevent that happening. It's a nice idea, but definitely slower than ZPS in some ways while being much more viable. You would need to drop 2 Slugma to power the same amount as 1 Pachirisu does, but those energies can be found in your deck and does not have to be in your hand. However, recovering those energies is another problem, which is why TyphloRam seems to be a better choice.

Eh, I don't like how you're so depending on the Shaymin drop. You literally can't do much without it, even if you get some good Active Volcano action.
Basically you need a turn 1 Collector, or you're gonna be too slow vs. the other Zekrom, Reshiram and Donphan insanity decks..

i thought i'd write a rough deck list out on how it might play out.
It isn't perfect and probobly not a 60 card list, but it should help you out to get that Active Volcano on turn 1 and shaymin onto Reshiram.

4 Slugma
4 Reshiram
4 Shaymin
2 Buffalant #19 (Revenge)

4 pokedex
4 research record
3 Juniper
3 junk arm
3 plus power
3 duel ball
2 Energy Switch
4 Cheren EP
2 Recycle EP
4 Super scoop up

12 Fire Energy

so using stuff like Research record and pokedex, you are able to get that fire energy on the top of your deck. I thought about Collector but then thought how would I draw my cards, and your using the supporter for the turn.
Duel balls although flippy would search out the basic's you need, such as shaymin and more slugma, and then you just use the pokedex, research record and active volcano your new top deck fire energy. Cheren is Prefered since you don't discard your hand to draw into those revealed cards.
I pretty much explained everything else in the original post, so I thought a rough list might clear things up.

a collector line might work, but how would you draw cards from your deck.

OK, so T1 you bust out a Blue Flare and discard two energies. Now what?

Exactly. Without Typhlosion Prime or a Fisherman/Emboar combo, there's really no way to get back energies consistently.

I am aware that if you get the turn 1 blue flare, you'll be left vunerable since theres no way to get those fire energy back.

its fun to play as a rogue deck, since no one would be expecting a card like slugma, and it's only purpose is to try and donk.

it's not meant to be a competetive play deck. just for fun you know.
i guess a Tyhplosion or Emboar tech would work nicely with it. or when it comes out in american European shores, Super Rod and energy retrieval could be used so you get some of those cards back.

i'll wait and see if any of the pokemon in emerging powers have any good powers, to compensate this deck.
if there is another card or power, that is similar or if not better than Slugma to use fire enrgy with. let me know. (Ninetails dosn't count)

i dont see why this guy cant be a one-of tech in alot of fire decks, especially the ones that are running macargo can use a 3-2 line of him efficiently. or possibly something like magmortar mill, so you can use just a basic to add more energy to your top burner magmortar and mill faster?

I've tested the deck out. It's nothing top teir, but its slightly decent. I've managed to do the the T1/T2 Blue Flare and with Seeker, Pokedex/Reserach Docs and Active Volcano i can do a consecutive Blue Flare roughly about 60% of the time but there are the obvious problems, lack of late game power without the addition of some late-game tech, burning energy incredibly fast and inconsistant damage, but chances are Reshiram well sustain some sort of damage after a Blue Flare in which case you can just Outrage, though a smart player wouldn't attack Reshiram directly unless they can OHKO it or make sure that OIutrage can't OHKO them back, or just play around Reshiram and pick off the bench.

Overall, not a completly realiable deck. Zekrom does this better as it doesn't discard energy which is vital to keep up the Bolt Strike barrage. It's still a fun idea though.

Back