Slurpuff Deck

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
I've heard about deck success from a Seismatoad EX/Slurpuff PHF themed deck. It seems interesting and I planned on rebuilding a toad deck for the future, so this seems right up my alley, but I can't find/make a good list based off lists I've seen at tournaments.
Does anyone have any pictures/ YoutTube videos/links to this deck? Thanks in advance!
~Elbow

RE: Slurpuff deck?

Elbow said:
I've heard about deck success from a Seismatoad EX/Slurpuff PHF themed deck. It seems interesting and I planned on rebuilding a toad deck for the future, so this seems right up my alley, but I can't find/make a good list based off lists I've seen at tournaments.
Does anyone have any pictures/ YoutTube videos/links to this deck? Thanks in advance!
~Elbow

No links/videos, but I did run into an interesting deck @ Cities featuring Propagation to help pay for costs to get more Slurpuffs/Seismitoads onto the field.

While I haven't seen anything of this sort on the Tube of You, I do think that idea is quite interesting. Slurpuff is good, but not great. The only magic comboes that it has are with Florges-EX, Slurpuff XY, and Ancient Swampert. Still, I think that using it in combination with the 'toad is at least a decent idea, but I'm not sure if it's good enough to replace the usual Garbodor.

I've seen Slurpuff pop up in a few decks online. One used it cleverly with Flareon and Battle Compressor. It made me think of a combo with Max Revive, an overlooked trainer from XY which puts a pokemon from your discard pile on top of your deck. Battle compressor --> Max Revive --> Slurpuff's Taste = Deck --> Discard Pile --> Top of Deck --> Hand. It's normally practical to use Ultra Ball, but in some weird decks with Battle Compressor, it could be worth a try.

Another was in a fairy deck with Yanmega, Xerneas, and Aromatisse (I also think it used M Kangaskhan). The cool combo was with Aromatisse and Fairy Garden. It can be promoted after something is KO'd, draw 2 cards with the ability and retreat/fairy transfer into something else. I could see future fairy tank decks benefiting from XY Slurpuff's ability so maybe a 2-1/1 split line wouldn't be a bad idea in those decks.

The idea of the Seismitoad/Slurpuff deck is to use Team Flare Grunts to discard your opponent's Energy, while still having some sort of draw power. I'll admit, it took me a while to figure out the point of Slurpuff too, but I eventually learned how it worked after enough research. You also play a couple Float Stones, which allow you send up Slurpuff after a Seismitoad gets KOed to draw you an extra card from Tasting. I don't know how common it is, but Super Scoop Up also seems pretty good in the deck. It heals off your Seismitoad, while not having to discard the Energy attached to it, and you can get an extra card from Tasting. I built the deck 5 minutes before writing this post, and it's not that hard to fit all that stuff in. I'll definitely have to try it out a few times.

This deck also features lots of Item-based draw power from what I have seen of it, like Bicycle and Roller Skates. This compliments the Flare Grunts, Xerosic and other non-draw Supporters that the deck runs. The icing on the cake (literally, since Slurpuff looks kind of like one) is Lysandre's Trump Card, which recycles everything. You burn through your deck as fast as possible while your opponent's options are limited, so they have little to shuffle back when you play it.

I did manage to find a list online, but I don't think I like it too much.
Pokémon:
3 Toad
3-3 Slurpuff
1 Keldeo EX
1 Dedenne
1-1 Drifblim (50x special energy)
1 Mr. Mime

T/S/S:
4 Juniper
3 N
2 Lysandre
2 Trump Card
1 Xerosic
1 Cassius
3 VS Seeker
2 Virbank
3 HTL
2 CH
2 EH
2 SSU
2 Switch
2 Ultra Ball
2 Float
2 Muscle
1 Megaphone
1 Scramble Switch

Energy:
4 DCE
4 Water

I do kinda like the idea of dedenne and drifblim, but I don't think it will work if the deck is a lock deck; shouldn't you be attacking with Seismitoad every turn? I'm not sure. The mime and Keldeo EX I get, but I think the float stones should be upped to 3/4. And maybe I'll beef up the Toad/Slurpuff lines too.
2 LTC is probably not needed IMO because of the 3 VS seeker, but I'll test it out.The trainer line looks mostly solid to me, but another laser and the float stone will make it better. And as for the energy, I like it ATM, but I will probably be testing the deck with other pokemon to attack with rather than Drifblim and dedenne as sidekicks.

Here's My build:
4 Toad
3-3 Slurpuff
1 Keldeo EX
1 Mr. Mime
1-1 Drifblim
4 Juniper
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Trump Card
1 Xerosic
1 Cassius
3 VS Seeker
2 Virbank
3 HTL
2 CH
2 EH
2 SSU
2 Switch
2 Ultra Ball
3 Float
2 Muscle
1 Megaphone
1 Scramble Switch
4 Water
4 DCE
As of now, I want to find space for a head ringer/net, another VS seeker, another muscle band, and maybe a max potion.
I'll post this in the deck building section later.

It is such a dirty deck to play honestly.

But I will admit whoever found the exploit is clever. This deck topped local cities in first place.

Camoclone said:
TokenDuelist said:
But I will admit whoever found the exploit is clever. This deck topped local cities in first place.
What exploit?

Well I mean they found a way to make such a deck work. It's insane when it gets going and you aren't able to counter it.

In all honesty, Seismitoad EX is still weak if all you're doing is Quaking Punch. It'll only take an opponent potentially two turns to KO your toad then what?

For me, I would be better if Slurpuff was part of the machine instead of being tacked-on at the last minute.

TokenDuelist said:
Camoclone said:
What exploit?

Well I mean they found a way to make such a deck work. It's insane when it gets going and you aren't able to counter it.

It's not insanely hard to counter... VirGen beats it, Metal has a good matchup against it, and Sigilyph / Pyroar wall it.

You play life dew along with trump so your opponent takes one prize per seis... How was this not mentioned yet?!

What I don't like is the obvious counter productivity of running many energy denial cards and trump.

Camoclone said:
TokenDuelist said:

It's not insanely hard to counter... VirGen beats it, Metal has a good matchup against it, and Sigilyph / Pyroar wall it.

Not if you play 4 C hammer and 3 Head Ringer (Which you should).
Some top canadian guys at my leage know how to lay the deck really well and im 10-3 whith it including my beta list which was shit XD
But pyroar sucks but i have lysandres trump card and laser bank

grantm1999 said:
You play life dew along with trump so your opponent takes one prize per seis... How was this not mentioned yet?!

What I don't like is the obvious counter productivity of running many energy denial cards and trump.

Ya but the deck tends to deck out a lot and you need it for slurpuffs and energy and toads so the pros outwhigh the cons.
Wish we had super rod :p

Well the deck has 3 options for Ace Specs:
- Life dew: This card is really good and helps you get that 7th prize, but Xerosic can be abysmal for this card and ruin your strategy.
- Rock Guard: Like Life Dew, it gets ruined by Xerosic. This card does have the advantage of being longer in play = more damage on your opponent's pokemon, so they'd need to draw into the Xerosic as quickly as possible (if they run it).
- Computer Search: This is most needed ace spec in the deck IMHO. Being able to get the DCE out T1/T2 is crucial for this deck to work. Life dew and rock guard are nice gimmicks, but being able to get the game winning/needing card is more important to me than the 60 damage or 1 less prize.

How does this deck deal with safeguarders/ Pyroar. I know pyroar is not that popular right now but what about safequarders becasue it seems to me that Seismitoad EX is the only attacker. I think something like raichu or beartic may be usefull.

Ironman131 said:
How does this deck deal with safeguarders/ Pyroar. I know pyroar is not that popular right now but what about safequarders becasue it seems to me that Seismitoad EX is the only attacker. I think something like raichu or beartic may be usefull.

Lysandre's Trump with Laser Bank and item lock works just fine.

DreamingMunna said:
I remember everyone brushed this card off at first and now everyone loves it

It's one of the things I like about the game. The community develops quite clear consensus, and then someone innovates with good results, and very quickly the consensus changes.

E.g. before Dylan Bryan's article on http://google.com/ last October everyone though Donphan was just a budget deck. As he writes in that article "Quite a few players told me Donphan was either tier 2 or outright terrible". He wrote it, people tried it, within a few months it was one of the top 2 decks in the format. Or hard charm- a month or so ago everyone would lecture you about the certain superiority of muscle band. A few people try it out in Yveltal, and boom.

For me, this is a strength, not a weakness. It means that the community processes information quickly. It comes to the best conclusion that it can give the available information. When it gets new information, it changes quickly.

Back