DPPt/HGSS Soft Resetting for shines

RE: Soft Reseting

this is still confusing me, how exactly does soft resetting help with encountering a shiny, like what does it do to the game mechanics

It gives you another chance to catch a Pokemon with possibly better IVs and nature.

Soft resetting in and of itself does not actually make a Pokemon more likely to be better or shiny - what it does do, however, is it will reset your game to your last save point - from there you can "talk" to a legendary and its nature, IVs, and shiny ID will be totally different.

It just keeps randomizing it, and keeps doing so until you cease soft-resetting.

I'm currently breeding for a shiny female totodile, but the chances in female totodile is only 12.5. I've never tried soft restarting to get a shiny. I'm breeding my totodile because it's my favorite pokemon. It's a lot easier to get shinies using the Masuda breeding method.

I tried soft reseting for a Shiny Virizion one time. Gave up and decided to come back the next day. That night, I had a dream that after a 100 tries, everything got glitchy and messed up. It was scary. I haven't gone back to Virizion since.

another question, when you soft reset for a shiny legendary when you walk up to the pokemon to see if it is shiny or not will the actual pokemon that you have to talk to be shiny as well

also im not sure if this is the right forum but i have started to a new game on SS, and i read somewhere that when soft ressetting for a legendary it has to do with ID's and SID's, does starting a new game change these aswell

another question, when you soft reset for a shiny legendary when you walk up to the pokemon to see if it is shiny or not will the actual pokemon that you have to talk to be shiny as well
Nope, you only find out when you talk to it.

also im not sure if this is the right forum but i have started to a new game on SS, and i read somewhere that when soft ressetting for a legendary it has to do with ID's and SID's, does starting a new game change these aswell
Yes. you're assigned a new ID and SID when you start a game over. The ID and SID are used to assist in RNG abuse.
And since I don't know much about that I'll let others explain that if they want.

this question wasn't exactly asked properly, when you soft reset for shinys,natures and IV's you have to sit through the boring title bits

LuckyPokeGirl said:
I'm currently breeding for a shiny female totodile, but the chances in female totodile is only 12.5. I've never tried soft restarting to get a shiny. I'm breeding my totodile because it's my favorite pokemon. It's a lot easier to get shinies using the Masuda breeding method.

It's still a pain in the butt though. I have also been breeding Totodiles, and no shiny. I have one of every nature though. I'm trying to get one female of every nature now. But that was a couple months ago. I might try again now. Good luck to you, I always appreciate a Totodile obsession.

*adds sturtle to buddy list* ^Yes, but I'll be shocked to find that my PC boxes are full of male totodiles. :(

I haven't seen a shiny since crystal cus I don't have the patience to soft reset but I might try again just to get my shinyless friends peeved.

The best things you can do, are most probably watch tv, watch youtube videos, listen to music. But I would most definetely not recommend doing it whilst not doing something else. Attach rubber bands around your 'L' and 'R' Buttons, and press A and B to make it easier for yourself. To get yourself pumped, watch a video on youtube of the shiny you are looking for. Hope I helped.

I've never soft reset for a shiny before, but I found shiny Quagsire on HG at Mt. Silver and Lillipup at Route 1. It makes you really happy, so getting one after soft resetting must be incredibly joyful. Funny enough, though, two of my friends also found shinies at Mt Silver, and they were both Golbat.

Since yesterday I started Soft Reseting for Shiny Suicune. For like, the third time now, I gave up all other attempts. Though I'll do my best not to give up now, no matter how long it'll take. I know there is an Event Shiny Suicune but I don't care. I want to get a 1/8192 Shiny Suicune completely by myself rather than one from an Event. And most of all be able to nickname it, since I always nickname my Pokémon. I'll probably name it Archaic once I (hopefully) get it.

Yes, I did SR before, for a Shiny Treecko, but I got it within around 5 Soft Resets. xD And it was female too.
I suppose it'll take much more time to get another Shiny now; can't always be lucky.

This isn't really about soft reseting but I just feel so darn disappointed with Emerald. I bought it a few months ago to get some pokémon (mainly the legendaries and the starters). Yesterday, I was catching Rayquaza. It's so freakin' difficult to catch it before the E4, it's not even funny. It kept OHKO my pokémon, used Rest to heal and even when I had it paralyzed, it was a pain to catch (specially because in gen3 we only get Ultra Balls which totally suck). I eventually had to catch Registeel to help me, since it resists all moves Rayquaza had. Even then, it was taking a lot of time to get in the ultra ball. I had to reset 2 times cause it either killed itself with confusion damage or managed to kill my team again. By the 3rd time, I managed to stall it with Registeel for really a lot of time cuz I pulled 2 boosts from Registeel's ancientpower and abused Curse. After a longe battle, I managed to catch it. Then, I went to check it's nature: Calm! Seriously?! I got mad. I didn't want to soft reset again for a better nature because of how trouble it was to catch it and ended up saving the game. But I'm really disappointed that with all that work, It came with a crappy nature and now I have a crappy Rayquaza. Even worse is that I tried to guess its' IVs using a stat calculator based on the stats it has, and it seems that it has 30 or 31 IVs in Attack which is good but 2 or lower in Sp.Def!!! Really??? Why couldn't the nature have been the opposite then? All those IVs in attack and they're just wasted with that stupid nature... I'm really sad...

Synchronize started having its field effect in Emerald. When it comes to soft-resetting for those, Synchronize is seriously your best friend.

So is the Emerald cloning glitch - clone a truckload of Master Balls and just save them.

I know but I didn't have any synchronizer... My team has Gardevoir but it has Trace, and since I'm only playing the game for getting certain pokémon, I didn't spend time catching every pokémon that appeared... But yeah, I could have tried to catch some Natu on Safari zone but I was in such a rush to catch Rayquaza, I didn't worried about that. I thought that I would be lucky enough to get at least a neutral nature, I wasn't counting on getting an attack hindering-nature... oh well, now I'm gonna try not to do the same thing with Kyogre & Groudon...

The best technique is to save right in front of the Pokemon you want to be shiny. After that you enter the battle. If it is not shiny. Use this code to soft reset rather than using the power switch which I might add resets much quicker too. Here is the code: L+R+Start+Select. By doing so thise resets the game and bypasses the menu start up which shaves about 30 seconds off your reset time. Then you just reset the process until Shiny. I recommend that you bring lots of Ultra Ball or the Master ball to catch it faster. The best thing to catching a SR shiny is patients and a lot of it too.:)

Back