Spiritomb from Arceus (#89) [7/6]

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
32-spiritomb.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
2. What popular metagame decks is it used in?
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
Spiritomb obviously does not fair well on its own. Its first attack (Darkness Grace) is incredibly useful however, and offers a faster start to the slow, trainer locking decks that its played in. It absolutely is worth being played in a few decks. Such as Cursegar and other Gengar based decks. It does let your opponent take a few easy prizes at the beginning of the game, with its ever so frail 60 hp- but that’s why you should run at least 2 in every deck, depending on how fast its setup is. (I run four in my Cursgar) Essentially the purpose of Spiritomb is to slow your opponent down to your decks speed.
Cursegar, Gengar, but NOT sabelock, contrary to the rest of this thread. Spiritomb locks trainers- wich slows sabelie down too much. Besides- SABELIE is the starter in SABELock
From experience I've discovered that using Cursgar lock dramaticly hinders their setup and allows you to hopfully get setup in three turns. After three turns, your opponent may not even have evolved their active yet and your doing at least 60 damage a turn. Let me tell you how that works. During your opponents turn Spiritomb will be active, when your turn comes you rosanes for an unown Q and put it on Spiritomb. Then you retreat spiritomb to your attacker. Now you can use all the trainers you need to, while at the end of your turn you use shadow skip, maybe take a prize, and they are still trainer locked- its almost foolproof.
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
I give this card a 3.5. its not a God card, but it can be useful.
5. How's the artwork?
I love the chalky visual texture and faded black on the card, it emphasizes spiritombs mystery.

It's a good card, but it can only be used succesfully as a starter-Pokemon.

Cursegar, Sablelock.

Actually all stage 2 Pokemon: These are slower to set-up and this helps them really much.
Also Gliscor Lv X. You can Paralyze and Poison them with Shooting Poison, then use Burning Poison to burn them, then take Gliscor Lv X and all the cards attached to your hand and get Spiritomb with an Unown Q active. This really frustrates your opponent, since he/she can't attack, is affected by 2 special conditions and can't use trainers either.

4/5, it's important in stage 2-decks since they take more time to set-up and it also works good in lock decks.

5. How's the artwork?

3/5, I like the BG really, it's quite detailed.

1. Spiritomb stands ok on its own, but in decks without many supporters it can be an amazing starter pokemon, with the ability to evolve your pokemon with no energy and shut down your opponent's trainers.
2. Cursegar, Sabelock, and many more
3. All stage 2 pokemon, because Spiritomb can help evolve them. Also, pokemon that can heal damage from Spiritomb help because then it can evolve more pokemon while still locking your opponent's setup.
4. 4/5 because it is the best starter possible in stage 2 decks, and also in lock decks with few trainers.
5. Very mysterious... and with a cool background.

1. This thing on its own fighting? Nuh-uh. It is always used for the lock though.
2. CurseGar and Sableock are the big ones, but there are more.
3. Anything else that can lock. As I said, it isn't much of a fighter.
4. 4/5, good Machamp Counter early.
5. 4/5... Very Gloomy aura around it...

This is a fun card. It's unusual in that it's both a counter and an assist to decks that it's naturally made for playing in. If you make this thing active, then Rare Candy is out of the question, both for you and your opponent. This can be bad for an opponent playing Machamp, Cursegar, or anything depending on Rare Candy to get a Stage 2 into play quickly. In it's own way, Spiritomb acts as a necessary replacement for Rare Candy. In one turn, you can evolve a Basic Pokemon into a Stage 1, then play the Stage 2 from your hand on the next turn.

There are many other uses for Spiritomb. My favorite (until rotation) is to use a Roseanne's Research to get both Spiritomb and Baltoy in play, then make Spiritomb active and use Darkness Grace to evolve your Baltoy to Claydol. With this simple trick, you can gain some fast early-game momentum. Come rotation, Pokemon Collector will be an appropriate replacement for Roseanne's Research, and you can try either the Ninetales or Dodrio line to replace Claydol. In fact, this trick is great for getting a lot of evolved pokemon into play quickly.

SP decks won't like this card, until Dialga G lv X comes into play. While Spiritomb is active, the SP player can't use PokeTurn, Energy Gain, or most of the other cards that they love using to turn the game around, all while Spiritomb's player is building a stable of highly-evolved, dangerous pokemon. Spiritomb can't slow SP decks down once Dialga G lv X is in play, though Spiritomb would make it a little difficult for them to fish up the lv X card to bring into play. SP pokemon will want to knock this card out soon, which may not be difficult to do with only 60 HP, and Spiritomb doing nothing to damage them. A good solution may be Blaziken FB, which will make something else active and burn it, with the bonus of a burned pokemon not being able to use it's PokePower.

If your deck relies heavily on evolved pokemon, Spiritomb is almost priceless, though if you don't have any, it should stand to reason that this card won't do much for you. Early in the game, this card is great for setting up, but later in the game, it won't be as useful as the cards it sets up.

Spiritomb from Platinum Arceus gets a score of 4 out of 5.

It's a useful card that supports and disrupts at the same time. Just don't expect it to be played for it's damage output, as it practically has none. If you play the Pokemon TCG competitively, you will see this card. A lot.

1. This is a card the is usually used in locks but has to be active. On its own, easy kill for Lux X.
2. CurseGar, Sableock, just to name a couple.
3. Snowpoint Temple, Sableye.
4. 4/5. Can't fight much but is still popular for a reason.
5. Very spooky and evil-looking.

1. It doesn't fair well on it's own, but it's a great set-up card, and the trainer lock immensly helps you're set-up, so your opponent doesn't outspeed you.
2. I think it's been featured in Cursegar. That all though.
3. Combos great with Gengar, so you're opponent is always locked. Cursegar is the best example of this. Spiritomb can really be used in any deck, because he's just a great set-up card.
4. 4/5. He's great, but he's frail and only used for set-up. After that, he's either a free prize card or a bench clogger.
5. 4/5. It's fun.

It it is only good to use at the beginning because of its 60 HP and you can only get in one darkness grace.
My friend used him in a Gengar/Cursegar deck. What he did is that when he died he would send out the stormfront gengar and poltergiest them. With all those trainers left...
Like I said you can use it with gengar but you can get every one out that way
I give it a 4/5. You can set up with him and then he dies but he is good.
5. How's the artwork?
3/5

Guiding questions:

Well, on its own, no. But, to prepare an no SP deck, like Cursegar, it can be really good. Blocking all trainers can be very useful for SP deck. Looks like an anti-SP card.

I guess in Cursegar because in this deck, there are a lot of evolutions. Actually, It can be used in every deck (Besides SP).

You can use Rosenne s recherch to takes some basics and some energies and put snowing temple to have more HP. A nidoqueen would be helpful.

Too low HP, losses HP when using attack, I prefer an TM-TS1. I will give 3 on 5.

5. How's the artwork?

Ugly. Very ugly. 1 on 5.

It's a decent card, but I would say making wio-the wisp do more damage would be awsome. Being a {D} type is an antvantige because it only has 1 weeknes:{F}. But over all evolving pokemon is a great stratigy.

I think it coulde go well in a flytomb deck {D}{C} (Flygon and Spiritomb) or spiritdrill deck {G}{D} (Bedrill and Spiritomb).

3.What combos could you use with the card?

You can use Rosenne s recherch to takes some basics and some energies and put snowing temple to have more HP. A nidoqueen would be helpful.

I would give this card a 4 1/2 star rating because being able to evolve 1 pokemon is a usefull stratigy.

5. How's the artwork?

I think it's preaty good could be better.

It's only as good as most basic Pokemon on its own, because it only does 10 damage, but Keystone Seal is somewhat useful.
I don't play in the metagame so I don't honestly know, but it would do well with most evolved Pokemon.
Use it with any evolving pokemon. You could give it an expert belt or buffer piece to keep it in play longer, but expert belt is risky.
I'd give it a 3-5. It's good for strategy, but in power it can't survive.
I don't like the artwork much. It doesn't portray it well. :)

garbage by itself but works very good in just about any that dosent run a lot of trainers

every one knows gengar and gliscor combo but also works very well with gyro ball magnezone

just about any stage 2 evolution deck. works well to counter sp. overall great trainer lock. but like evryone has said can be ko at times.

4/5
5. How's the artwork?
background reminds me of some unkown roman place. best looking blob ever. 3/5

-The card on its own is not as good as its real use is for. The use for this is having moonlight stadium out and having spiritomb out on your opponents turn. Virtually locking you opponent from using any trainers! It is extremely worth being played in nearly all decks.
-Specificly used in a Gengar deck.
-The combos I have seen often has been with Moonlight Stadium and Gengar.
-I would give Spiritomb a 4 stars rating out of five. I would give it this due to its extremely helpful when moonlight out, but not 5 due to it needing moonlight to be worthwhile.
5. How's the artwork?
-The artwork is very well done and overall nice.

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.
[/quote]

it is not good but AWESOME ^ ^ really good for start up ur field too

all deck that has two stages 2 evolution in a deck i think

i use in many of my deck, like ttar prime, flychamp, and duksnoir gengar too

5 stars of course ...hahaha

5. How's the artwork?
it is just average, not too good but not too bad :)

it stinks use Kabutops MD its way better due to it actually is more useful
you have rare candys so darkness grace is not needed + Kabutops has a good attack too

P.S. Use KingToad on the Kingdra reply

1. It has lots of potential in the game.
2. I do not know im new to pokemon.
3. Like i said new to pokemon.
4. I give it 5 stars love this card.
5. Love it im a artist myself so i like all art this is my 6th favorite card.

{D}{D}{D}{D}{D}{D}

shayminfan22

It is great. It slows down many fast decks. Thanks to "darkness grace" it doesn't have to slow you down to.

I personally use it "flyphan". It also is good with the gengar with poltergeist

useful with nidoqueen's maternal comfort pokemon power

5/5 stars. Spiritomb is great at setting up evolved pokemon, while making it that much harder for your opponent to do the same.

5. How's the artwork?

Excellent artwork. The card has a detailed backdrop. Spiritomb has a bright purple that still makes it standout from that backdrop.

This is a great card. It's great at locking decks, and helps with evolution.
Cursegar, anything not SP
It's a great starter to set up, destroys SP decks from setting up.
4/5 It's used in a lot of decks, with a great body. Just not good at attacking.
5. How's the artwork?
Great. Looks all dark and spiritual

Back