SV Booster Boxes: Yes or No?

PokeChamp

Aspiring Trainer
Alright, so, my question goes out to everybody who has recieved and opened their booster box(es) of SV:

Was it worth it to you to buy it? Were you happy with what you gout out of your booster box, in the long run?

Thank you personally for your time!

I heard about 3-5 Lv.X's, 2 or three shiny's, and two or three reprints. That is what I heard, though. I'm thinking about it.

Dont get it. Its a bad set altogether. 7 lv Xs. Only 2 decent ones?!. only 17 playable cards in the whole set?! I know you get 3 lv Xs in a box so its your choice. You will probably get absol g lv X or Blaziken fb lv X. Why not buy them instead of leaving it to chance?

Buying a box of this set will increase your chances of completing the set. A lot of Lv.Xs are good trade bait too.

I wouldn't say only 2 good LvX. The good LvX are Absol G LvX, Blaziken FB LvX, Garchomp C LvX (to heal), and Starpator FB LvX.

Staraptor is teribad. I would go with it if you are trying to get trade bait but if you have ceratian wants just buy them.

I'm getting 3 boxes mainly because we didn't get much at the prerealese. Absol G, I never thought it was any good. Blaziken FB is good. As is Garchomp C. Some of the other stuff is good trade bait. Rayquaza could make a decent rouge as would Charizard G. Staraptor and Electivire are the only 'bad' level X's in this set.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm going to buy one provided I don't score big in the prerelease. Some of the rares may suck, but Venisaur, Honchkrow, and primape are all decks that make the set worthwile besides the X's. here's my opinion on those.

Good X's:
Absol
Blaziken
Electivire

Bad X's:
Staraptor
Charizard

X's that would have been good if they weren't going to be devalued by the tins:
Rayquazza
Garchomp

Electivire is pretty darn good with Weavile...by T3, you can be attacking for 80, 90, or even 100 damage. With Weavile and Skuntank G, you can also beat Gengar without to much of a sweat...and Moonlight and Weavile get around Burn when Blaziken uses its attack. The Power lock from Legos is annoying, but you don't need a lot of energy to OHKO a Palkia...by T2 you can already OHKO the regular. The only Powers you really need to use in a Palkia match-up are Set-Up and Cosmic Power. It might not be Tier 1, but I still think it can make a decent deck for BRs.

Anyway, as for the OP, I'd say its worth to get a box of it. Considering that the average box yields 3 Xs in this set, odds are you will get a least a decent X, and odds are slim you will pull are three tinned ones. (And two of them are decent to begin.) With 2 boxes, you can complete the set sans for maybe a few Rares, 1 or 2 Level Xs, and a reprint and Shiny. Overall, I'd recommend buying one or two, but no more than three. While this set does have a number of bad rares, it makes up for it in the fact that you can get a lot of trade bait with the Xs...and you will likely pull some holos, most of which aren't too shabby.

Also, the box or boxes might yield a couple Dodrio, and you might want to get some before they start to rise in value in 2010-11. (With Claydol and Uxie most likely gone next year, people will start to use Dodrio and more draw cards...1 or 2 extra cards shouldn't be underestimated, and with Claydol and Uxie likely gone, this is the best replacement that's come out so far.)

dont buy it. the only good card is garchomp lv. x and thats in a tin. just buy some packs to get some of the singles. if your going to buy a box just get rising rivals or platinam soo much better than rising rivals or save up for the arceus set.

Rising Rivals and Platinum are much better sets imo. There are too many non-holo crappy rares in this set which lowers your chances of getting a rare holo :l

I'll probably buy the tins (even though I have Rayquaza) just to cuz i collect the promos but i doubt ill buy a box or even a single pack.

Interesting opinions...

From what I have heard, the people who are against it don't have many good reasons for being against it, while those who are in favor of it have excellent points. Because of that, I think I'm leaning towards buying one. I am interested in hearing more opinions, though.

The set is just bad. The level X's are quite nice, the SRs are awesome and the shinies are always nice to have. Just buy it as a box instead of buying loose packs.

ze_draeck said:
The set is just bad. The level X's are quite nice, the SRs are awesome and the shinies are always nice to have. Just buy it as a box instead of buying loose packs.

Alright, I think I may do that. Thanks for your advice!

Maybe. The level Xs are somewhat decent, though I want both Zapdos... Most likely not, though. :F And maybe for the Lickilicky C and Shiny Milotic. But, most likely not. :\

kashmaster said:
^ When is electivire that good?

Electivire FB with SW electivire will be quite good, I think. You can also run it with Rayquazza C to get your energy back so you can attack for 200 every other turn. Or use it to power up your heavy hitter such as flygon easily. I think it will have a lot of uses. You can also attach special energy which could be useful with a metal pokemon.

Set sucks since the best card in it is an uncommon (Relicanth SV) but still the Xes are quite nice. Only buy a box if you're willing to trade a LOT of crap rares away for PT-RR junk before next year.

If you're a collector I'd say buy a box to help with that, otherwise just buy the specific cards you need.

This set is great! I have already come up with the winning deck. No one have seen it yet tho! thank godness for that :p

Back