TDK (Thundurus EX / Deoxys EX / Kyurem)

RE: Plasma Box (Thundurus EX / Deoxys EX with attackers and techs)

It's good, but there's ways to beat it. Blastoise once set up can take all 6 prizes in three turns, Darkrai can spam Hammers and then burn through the 170 HP EX's, and PlasmaKlang can hit Kyurem for weakness while discarding tons of energy. I'm not sure how Big Basics or Garbodor holds up due to all the type disadvantages though.

The reason why it'll be so popular is because it doesn't really have any bad matchups except maybe PlasmaKlang.

Garbodor, if set up early, can hold it's ground fairly well. I'd say it is a 50/50 match-up

Ive been testing different variants of Plasma Deck for 3 weeks now. It is definitely Tier 1. Plasmaklang does give it problems. Blastoise Black Kyurem EX Keldeo EX goes toe to toe with it. But there's another deck that will give it problems, its called Plasma Buster. Here is one of the builds I playtested and it works against Plasma Box. Feel free to playtest it yourself.

Plasma Buster

Pokemon 9

3 lando ex
4 cobalion ex
2 mewtwo ex

Energy 14

4 prism
4 metal
4 fighting
2 DCE

Trainers 37

1 scramble switch
4 hypnotoxic laser
2 virbank
4 catcher
1 escape rope
4 switch
2 ultra ball
4 skyla
4 juniper
3 bianca
3 N
2 energy switch
2 enhanced hammer
1 tool scrapper

The issue with that is that it's a counter deck - it only really works against Plasma Box and gets wrecked by everything else. The idea of teching Cobalion EX in things isn't a bad one though.

Blah said:
The issue with that is that it's a counter deck - it only really works against Plasma Box and gets wrecked by everything else. The idea of teching Cobalion EX in things isn't a bad one though.

You can tech in Shaymin Ex and a Victini Vcreate. The deck has space.

Darkrai still eats it, and so does Blastoise. Shaymin EX doesn't counter Blastoise because it gets OHKO'd by every one of their attackers.

How would Garbodor not do good against this deck? Deoxys' and Lugia's abilities are negated, which helps. Maybe throw in a tech Cobalion EX and have Blend WLFM and DCE?

Blah said:
Darkrai still eats it, and so does Blastoise. Shaymin EX doesn't counter Blastoise because it gets OHKO'd by every one of their attackers.

Darkrai still eats it? What are you talking about? Did you read the build? Doesn't the build have 3 Landorus EX?

The way the deck will beat Blastoise will be the same way Big Basics beats Blastoise sans Tornadus EX (Tornadus Ex is riskier now because of the proliferation of Thundurus EX). Pray your opponent does not start with multiple squirtles and hit early. If they set-up a Blastoise then try to get a Shaymin EX to ohko their Blastoise ( you have prisms,energy switch, and scramble switch so it should be feasible). I believe you will have a fightnig chance but naturally you are at a disadvantage. I have played Big Basics this last two formats and have beaten Blastoise so it really depends on how you play your cards and it also depends on the draw of the opposing Blastoise player. This deck plays like Big Basics.

I encourage players to playtest before dismissing ideas.

Blastoise/Keldeo WILL start with 2 Squirtles. The only reason that it wouldn't would be that it was having a supporter drought or they are prized, in either which case they would lose anyways.

Also, the one card Landorus EX doesn't counter Darkrai. The whole deck has to be shaped effectively to appropriately have a check to the other matchups.

SheNinja said:
Blastoise/Keldeo WILL start with 2 Squirtles. The only reason that it wouldn't would be that it was having a supporter drought or they are prized, in either which case they would lose anyways.

Also, the one card Landorus EX doesn't counter Darkrai. The whole deck has to be shaped effectively to appropriately have a check to the other matchups.

Can you point out to me how my build won't beat your darkrai deck?

RobertBenjamin said:
Doesn't the build have 3 Landorus EX?

I didn't look at the build. I just said that the reasoning above (^) is not valid.

I tried the Landorus EX/Cobalion EX/Terrakion/Mewtwo a while ago. It can beat Darkrai and this, but is eaten by Blastoise, no matter what you do.

SheNinja said:
RobertBenjamin said:
Doesn't the build have 3 Landorus EX?

I didn't look at the build. I just said that the reasoning above (^) is not valid.
Was not my reply clearly in the context of the build I posted? So what's not reasonable about it? I think it's better if people read before they post.

I think what SheNinja is trying to say is just because your deck has three Landorus does not make it a Darkrai counter. Speaking of reading people's posts...

Mora said:
I think what SheNinja is trying to say is just because your deck has three Landorus does not make it a Darkrai counter. Speaking of reading people's posts...

yes if you make a deck with 3 lando ex but no fighting energy prism or blend Wlfm but let's be sensible any deck with 3 lando ex built properly will be a darkrai counter. And I did post my build and my reply was in the context of my build so let's not be a a smart &!@. Lets get back to topic and talk about plasma box.

Darkrai actually performed very well against Big Basics last format, which normally ran 3 Landorus. Landorus can't take down Darkrai on its own.

Landorus and Bouffalant DRX however are very strong against Darkrai. Very strong.

Blah said:
Darkrai actually performed very well against Big Basics last format, which normally ran 3 Landorus. Landorus can't take down Darkrai on its own.

Except Big Basics was the BDIF wasn't it? And did not Landorus EX provide something substantial to Big Basics being a very good deck? Besides there is a valid reason why you do not see decks with only Landorus EX in it and this is not because of Darkrai but it is actually because of Safeguard Sigilyph, PlasmaKlang, and Blastoise. Remove those three decks from the meta and probably you will see Quad Lando EX being played just like you saw Quad Terrakion last year.

At any rate, how about Lando EX, Coba EX, Garbodor? This looks like a deck thatcna counter Plasma Box and be comeptitive against the toher decks that will exist in the coming format.

I just built that deck. Use Blend WLFM, it works.

RobertBenjamin said:
yes if you make a deck with 3 lando ex but no fighting energy prism or blend Wlfm but let's be sensible any deck with 3 lando ex built properly will be a darkrai counter. And I did post my build and my reply was in the context of my build so let's not be a a smart &!@. Lets get back to topic and talk about plasma box.

Obviously, you need energy to attack; I really don't see your point in mentioning a deck without energy, especially since, "in the context of your build", the list you posted ran energies. "Let's not be smart&!@" If you thought that was the jist of my short post, you should read more in your leisure. The point I was trying to make was simply throwing random EX's together because of their type is not an effective way to counter the meta. If it was that easy to counter Darkrai, than Darkrai probably isn't that good to begin with. Quad Terrakion didn't stop Darkrai last year; Quad Landorus, or in the context of your build, the much less devoted casually throwing in a few Landorus to cover a match up won't either. It's not that 60 and 30 on the first turn doesn't hurt, but the fight isn't one-sided. Darkrai can 2HKO starting from turn two. It can even OHKO with the math from the snipe damage.

Garbodor: meta counter
Victinibox: meta counter
Landorus/Cobalion/Mewtwo: random EX attackers

Back