XY Team Flare: Creating a Beautiful World or Having a Secret Motive?

RE: Why do you think Team Flare's goal is money?

dr.professor kevin said:
money is always a great motivating factor for people, I just hope the plot doesn't consist of you stopping various heists throughout the region.

Reading that, the first thing that popped in my head was if that was like die hard. After passing out from the sheer awesome, I realized that maybe stopping heists is too "possible" in real life for GF to use it; you know, the whole "kids imitate what they see on TV and videogames" BS.
But that could be something interesting, at least as an introduction to this clowns... they are robbing a bank, and you go in and thwart their plans.

And in the finale, they take over a building, you infiltrate in it, take them down one by one and blow up the roof, finally the leader falls down a window in slow motion....

Be right back, gotta watch die hard now.

It was never stated that Team Flare's goal is to get money. They just said they want money in a screenshot. Big deal. I'm pretty sure that money is not their main goal.

Teal said:
It was never stated that Team Flare's goal is to get money. They just said they want money in a screenshot. Big deal. I'm pretty sure that money is not their main goal.

It isaid that's their sole goal is capturing Pokemon and fossils and selling them for money.

Ghost King said:
Teal said:

It isaid that's their sole goal is capturing Pokemon and fossils and selling them for money.

I recall a Team Rocket grunt saying something exactly like this in R/B/Y in Mt. Moon, but that obviously wasn't their main goal; it was a side project. Team Flare probably has much more sinister plans afoot, and acquiring tons of money might just be their way of accomplishing their real goals "legitimately".

july_p04_04.jpg

This is the only source for your assumptions. They are in a cave with fossils (look closely). They are just on a side mission. Doesn't mean that money is their main goal.

[private] I removed "stupid". Remember that you can state your views but when you target a specific person, that is where the line is drawn.[/private]

Ghost King said:
TeamFlare-Pokemon-X-and_Y.jpg

Usually other teams goals were to take over the world and trainers Pokemon. Why is it that there is money? Does it have to do something with the legendaries? What do you think?

I think it symbolizes the creation and destruction theme, corruption of money or charity with money, that brings out legendaries, I think. (its just a stretch)

I don't think their goal is really money, well it could be in a way but why exactly do they need money? I think they probably have a hidden agenda or at least their leader has a hidden agenda similar to how Ghetsis had a hidden agenda.

Also that screenshot with the making money off of restoring fossils . . .

I would actually pay good money to buy a fossil from them and take it to a guy who revives fossils, that does not seem evil at all. It is for this reason I still think they have a hidden agenda in there somewhere.

Maybe... because they want money...?

JUST A GUESS.[private]Staff Message: I don't think that this is spam. I think he's trying to make the point that Team Flare wants money because, well, they like monies. So not spam, really short, but not spam. ~Kecleon

^ I agree. I'd maybe PM him about post length in general, but since I think that, even on a subconscious level, we'd be more allowing of it if it were slightly more (subjectively) funny, I feel it's too much of a double standard to worry about right now. -Chariblaze[/private]

Raptor9229 said:
I would actually pay good money to buy a fossil from them and take it to a guy who revives fossils, that does not seem evil at all. It is for this reason I still think they have a hidden agenda in there somewhere.
Exactly. As I said before, that's not evil at all. Maybe that's even a lie to cover up what they are actually doing. How can you just trust everything criminals are saying?

From the XY website:
A strange organization known as Team Flare has begun to make its presence known in the Kalos region. What could they be up to?
Why would they answer that in the next screenshot?

Now, I may be way off with this, but here goes

I've done some research, and as far as history goes, there was a crime syndicate in France where a mafia-style group pretty much controlled Paris. Their objective was to rake in more and more money and use it to strengthen their control over the city, which gradually spread across France until they were taken down. It was also noted that the group was very violent and noted for setting fires to the people and the possessions of the people who opposed them. In a game where the two main Pokémon focus on life and death, such a thing may be possible.

Raptor9229 said:
Ghost King said:
TeamFlare-Pokemon-X-and_Y.jpg

Usually other teams goals were to take over the world and trainers Pokemon. Why is it that there is money? Does it have to do something with the legendaries? What do you think?

I think it symbolizes the creation and destruction theme, corruption of money or charity with money, that brings out legendaries, I think. (its just a stretch)

I don't think their goal is really money, well it could be in a way but why exactly do they need money? I think they probably have a hidden agenda or at least their leader has a hidden agenda similar to how Ghetsis had a hidden agenda.

Also that screenshot with the making money off of restoring fossils . . .

Exactly, like money is their sole goal for the main overall goal.

Scuba Steve said:
Now, I may be way off with this, but here goes

I've done some research, and as far as history goes, there was a crime syndicate in France where a mafia-style group pretty much controlled Paris. Their objective was to rake in more and more money and use it to strengthen their control over the city, which gradually spread across France until they were taken down. It was also noted that the group was very violent and noted for setting fires to the people and the possessions of the people who opposed them. In a game where the two main Pokémon focus on life and death, such a thing may be possible.

Like I said, they have a hidden agenda, perhaps they are using the money to take control of the region (or I should really say try to take over the region because they will get stomped into the ground by the player character)

Teal said:
july_p04_04.jpg

This is the only source for your assumptions. They are in a cave with fossils (look closely). They are just on a side mission. Doesn't mean that money is their main goal.

[private] I removed "stupid". Remember that you can state your views but when you target a specific person, that is where the line is drawn.[/private]

No this is not where I got my assumptions I'll send it in a PM

Actually...have we ever had a villainous team before that had the goal of money? I don't recall any; most have tried to take over the world or create a new one. This one is actually a bit different - if cliche.

Well, money is the most corruptive force on Earth... with enough of it, you can control most anything or anyone.

Skulblaka_Shur said:
Actually...have we ever had a villainous team before that had the goal of money? I don't recall any; most have tried to take over the world or create a new one. This one is actually a bit different - if cliche.

Team Rocket was a mafia-esque group and money is inherently a goal for a mafia. It wasn't directly out there (because of them creating Mewtwo, wanting the region and masterball, etc.) but it was a goal for them.

Man, I think you guys are trying to read way too much into this. So what if they're just a bunch of greedy, stylish crooks? That sounds pretty awesome to me. I'm failing to see how that necessarily means that their plot is going to be boring. Especially if they're doing it by selling stolen Pokémon - that gives the player and their friends just as much incentive to stop them as with any other team.

I've gotta say, I'm impressed with the design, too. They've definitely got the materialistic look down. It's a lot less silly then the weird pseudo-medieval getup of original Plasma, while still being just silly enough that the grunts can't be taken too seriously (remember that they get used for comic relief a lot).

professorlight said:
Reading that, the first thing that popped in my head was if that was like die hard. After passing out from the sheer awesome...
Pretty freakin' epic. *^*

---

As for the whole 'how is collecting and selling fossils wrong', in the past haven't evil teams waited for some archaeologist to do all the work of finding and extracting them, then steal it? (Team Flare doesn't seem the types to want to get their suits dirty)

You could speculate the crap out of this (there was a powerful legendary long ago and that both Xerneas and Yveltal agreed needed to be stopped, the evil team steals the recently discovered fossil and revives it for control, Xerneas and Yveltal are upset, etc.) or fossils could just be a side racket.

I'm surprised people are focusing on Xerneas and Yveltal in this thread though. The new Mewtwo and how she fits in this new Region and how the evil team reacts to her presence (if they didn't create her themselves) sounds like a plot to me. Especially if there's another form still not revealed.

Not to mention "The evolved form of Inkay, Malamar wields some of the strongest hypnotic powers of any Pokémon and can make its opponents bend to its will." and "Their is never a shortage of humans attempting to use Malamar to achieve their own nefarious purposes."
Either Team Flare uses more than just fire types, or yeah..something.

Lex said:
You could speculate the crap out of this (there was a powerful legendary long ago and that both Xerneas and Yveltal agreed needed to be stopped, the evil team steals the recently discovered fossil and revives it for control, Xerneas and Yveltal are upset, etc.) or fossils could just be a side racket.

Spot on. I think we are focusing on the fossils too much. It's like if, when releasing red, they pull out a screenshot of your encounter with team rocket in mt. moon (the fossils part), and then we all start thinking they steal antiquities and fossils. That part was your introduction to team rocket, this is probably also a early encounter with the clown gang.

Lex said:
I'm surprised people are focusing on Xerneas and Yveltal in this thread though. The new Mewtwo and how she fits in this new Region and how the evil team reacts to her presence (if they didn't create her themselves) sounds like a plot to me. Especially if there's another form still not revealed.

I don't know if they were the ones who created mewtwo; that's a very shaky subject, but I think mewtwo's second forme will be shown later, as part of some in-game scripted event like the P2 lab when you bring genesect, taking arceus to the ruins of alph, or meloetta to the castelia café.

Lex said:
Not to mention "The evolved form of Inkay, Malamar wields some of the strongest hypnotic powers of any Pokémon and can make its opponents bend to its will." and "Their is never a shortage of humans attempting to use Malamar to achieve their own nefarious purposes."
Either Team Flare uses more than just fire types, or yeah..something.

Someone (I think the official site) said they use fire and dark, So malamar is almost sure to be used.
My gardevoir is itchin' to finally get some sweet, sweet revenge against many, many dark types. MUAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA! MUHAHA! HA. HA. *cough*

I'll tell you what they want more money for. 1) Hair gel. 2) Hair dye. 3) Those suits. 4) Sunglasses. Gotta wear them even in caves. 5) Health insurance after I give them a good thrashing with a Blaziken. And finally, 6) To pay the grunts for looking like that. Luckily, they ain't in Team Galatic. They would have to be millionaires if forced to like the Galatic grunts.

I hope they only want money. More than that it would be awesome if they're just trying to get rich quick and not hurting anyone to do it. Like the fossil thing. It would be cool if they just want to revive and sell old fossils but throughout the game we bust in and steal all their ideas until they just get fed up and start targeting us instead.

In other words I want to be the bad guy in this game.

DarkPhoenix said:
I'll tell you what they want more money for. 1) Hair gel. 2) Hair dye. 3) Those suits. 4) Sunglasses. Gotta wear them even in caves. 5) Health insurance after I give them a good thrashing with a Blaziken. And finally, 6) To pay the grunts for looking like that. Luckily, they ain't in Team Galatic. They would have to be millionaires if forced to like the Galatic grunts.

And here I thought French was the exact opposite of American...

Back