Tera Mewtwo ex and Tera Skeledirge ex Revealed!

These tera Pokémon that change type aren't that good. Sure they have good attacks and abilities but they're hurt by being one type but needed a different type of energy. Mewtwo would be much better if it was Psychic type and could benefit from Gardevoir ex's ability. I just wish they used the same energy as the new type instead of the old

Yeah out of all the reveals from this weekend so far, the only ones I’m interested in are Garchomp and maybe Gorgeous Mantle. Bombirdier and Mantyke will be useful eventually.

Mewtwo needing 2 Psychic is definitely a dealbreaker to me rn for Gardy. I’d rather focus on powering up Gardy or Zacian than playing 2 tech cards for decks I can still make do against, that being Mewtwo and the card that powers up Mewtwo gets its second energy from so it doesn’t have to luck out on reaching 2 energy due to boss or missing arcane energy.

Skeledirge needing to be set up as a stage 2 means it needs a fire Pokémon that’s efficient enough to be played without Tera Charizard and only with basin. At that point you are playing Entei with a different stage 2. People already tried that with Ludicolo and it went barely anywhere due to consistency issues.

This right here is the very reason why these different type tera Pokémon are not very good. They have good abilities and attacks but are trying to help one Deck while belonging in another if that makes sense. Being one type but using energy from a different type makes them less usable in my mind. How good would Mewtwo be if it was just Psychic type? Charizard ex could use Magma Basin if it was Fire type(I know that's not that big of a deal just an example). I wish the tera Pokémon that change type would use the energy of the new type as well.
it’s stage 2 which means Charmander can take advantage from Magma Basin. but that’s not a case with Basic Tera like Mewtwo ex. he has no chance to get advantage from Garde ex ability

This right here is the very reason why these different type tera Pokémon are not very good. They have good abilities and attacks but are trying to help one Deck while belonging in another if that makes sense. Being one type but using energy from a different type makes them less usable in my mind. How good would Mewtwo be if it was just Psychic type? Charizard ex could use Magma Basin if it was Fire type(I know that's not that big of a deal just an example). I wish the tera Pokémon that change type would use the energy of the new type as well.
Charizard definitely got the better end of things given dark type is great offensively and grass type is a great weakness to have rn on a Pokémon that big.

Mewtwo bring electric is not helpful, if not straight up hurtful rn.

Froslass being grass would be of benefit if it did at least 170 damage. That’s more the card being bad on damage than anything.

Eiscue bring fire would have been useful coverage eventually… if Chien Pao’s whole gameplan wasn’t already around trying to one-shot indiscriminately. Probably better to just build to a consistent deck unless eiscue’s attack ever became needed for disrupting something important. Maybe Palkia eventually needs it but it definitely doesn’t rn.

Vespiquen is honestly worse being psychic right now because you just exchanged one-shotting Charizard for… one-shotting SS Urshi VMax.

Garchomp being water is a worse type offensively, but a better type for Irida.

Steel Skeledirge is slightly better, but not to much of importance rn.

Mewtwo ex- Probably won’t be good until after rotation once Zacian V from celebrations is gone 4
Fuecoco/Crocalor/Skeledirge ex- This is broken. Also why does every basic fire type ever have live coal as an attack. 2/4/5

I'm kinda floored seeing how good these starter sets are after the abysmal quality of the ex start decks, and they aren't even being released that far apart from one another... what gives?
Those were for beginners, these are not. Just like we have stage 1, stage 2 and stage 3 products.

You can use Magma Basin before evolving though.

I think it's good that they use the energy of their actual type, it gives you an edge against weakness which is a big part of the game. You are able to have a counter to the counter of your deck without needing to run different types of energy.

Mewtwo might be a good post-rotation Zacian V replacement in Gardevoir decks, though being an Electric type is tricky due to Gardevoir only attaching to Psychic types. Gotta find another way to put the 2 Psychic energy on there, though the rest can go on anything else.
I think it could be good using something like Poppy or Thorton to get the 2 Psychic onto Mewtwo, I could also see this card being a playable attacker in a Lost Origin Clefairy deck, also opening up the potential of using Clefable ex's attack to power up Mewtwo

Charizard definitely got the better end of things given dark type is great offensively and grass type is a great weakness to have rn on a Pokémon that big.

Froslass being grass would be of benefit if it did at least 170 damage. That’s more the card being bad on damage than anything.

Eiscue bring fire would have been useful coverage eventually… if Chien Pao’s whole gameplan wasn’t already around trying to one-shot indiscriminately. Probably better to just build to a consistent deck unless eiscue’s attack ever became needed for disrupting something important. Maybe Palkia eventually needs it but it definitely doesn’t rn.

Vespiquen is honestly worse being psychic right now because you just exchanged one-shotting Charizard for… one-shotting SS Urshi VMax.

They're all worse off in my opinion. Sure Garchomp can be searched with Irida but you have to run it in a Fighting Deck to get the most use out of it and then you're running Irida in your deck just to search for Garchomp. You're having to put cards in to your deck that don't go with your deck to make these cards work. Some it doesn't hurt as bad I'll admit, like Charizard but still having one type and needing Energy of another just seems

I just think being one type and needing Energy of another makes them all worse. Some not as much as others like Charizard but still I think it's detrimental. You have to run cards that don't fit your deck just to get the most out of these cards. Garchomp will be played with Fighting cards but you either have to run Irida just for Garchomp or not make use of it altogether. Just seems to me that if they made these Pokémon use the energy of the new type they would be better. If Garchomp used water energy and its attack attached Water Energy would it not be better?

They're all worse off in my opinion. Sure Garchomp can be searched with Irida but you have to run it in a Fighting Deck to get the most use out of it and then you're running Irida in your deck just to search for Garchomp. You're having to put cards in to your deck that don't go with your deck to make these cards work. Some it doesn't hurt as bad I'll admit, like Charizard but still having one type and needing Energy of another just seems
I just think being one type and needing Energy of another makes them all worse. Some not as much as others like Charizard but still I think it's detrimental. You have to run cards that don't fit your deck just to get the most out of these cards. Garchomp will be played with Fighting cards but you either have to run Irida just for Garchomp or not make use of it altogether. Just seems to me that if they made these Pokémon use the energy of the new type they would be better. If Garchomp used water energy and its attack attached Water Energy would it not be better?
I think it terastallization opens up a lot more possibilities and synergies that wouldn't be possible otherwise, and Garchomp gives fighting type an option for attacking that isn't resisted by things like Gardevoir or Lugia, which can be a good or a bad thing, depending on the meta or which side you're looking from. If Garchomp used and accelerated Water Energy it would probably be less relevant given how much Water support we have already. But you're right, terastallization is overall pretty poorly implemented in the TCG.

you guys gotta get over your its a stage 2 its not viable crying... it is when v's leave you got evo's with such good abilities... even so you have access to rare candy, and there are ways to grab it consistently.

These tera Pokémon that change type aren't that good. Sure they have good attacks and abilities but they're hurt by being one type but needed a different type of energy. Mewtwo would be much better if it was Psychic type and could benefit from Gardevoir ex's ability. I just wish they used the same energy as the new type instead of the old
How is this a bad thing? Having different types than your energy allows for more type coverage. Only this mewtwo is a special case as it is a basic so psychic specific support doesn't apply, but for stage 1+ terms, you can still use support when they're not yet evolved into their Tera forms. This mewtwo isn't all that bad as it only needs two energy to attack. You can run an energy switche
if you're concerned about being able to immediately power up.

Water garchomp is an ideal case for justifying irida in a fighting deck. You literally search for rare candy+garchomp with one supporter. There aren't even that many fighting specific supporter you're sacrificing to play irida either.

Skelledirge looks quite busted to me, guaranteed KOs with essentially zero downside? Just stick a few of them on your bench.
It seems decent, unfortunately the same could be said for gardi and that is a better type, better evolution line and has more uses.

Gardevoir does need some support after E Block rotates, so good to give Mewtwo an attack with perfect synergy with Gardevoir, along with perfect typing for deck is struggles against.

Steam Up Volcanion EX is back, now better than ever. All we need is a Crocalor that has draw support and we have the unloved child of Gardevoir and Volcanion.

That’s going to be contextual by type and availability of support. It’s not all downgrades, and you have to analyze what the Pokémon do, what they can deal with, what they are supported by, and what they can support.

Garchomp simply requiring water energy and supporting water pokemon to fix problems is more an issue with Fighting type having terrible overall support in general. Heck, this also makes Garchomp less useful due to available water type support existing already.

If Garchomp were its proper type, Fighting, then Garchomp would be in a worse spot than Garchomp being Water and requiring fighting energy. As a fighting Pokémon, Garchomp would no longer be searched by Irida, and its only benefit would be 1-shotting Arceus.

If Garchomp was water type and required water energy, well now it is a slower Palkia VStar that has a fighting Pokémon basic.

There’s gonna be no right answer to this and while some of these Tera Pokémon are clearly worse from their type change like Mewtwo and Vespiquen, Garchomp isn’t a straight downgrade.

Charizard losing Magma Basin is negligible as heck when it just attaches its own energy, and there is no benefit offensively or defensively from being Fire compared to being Dark right now, nor any extra searchability.

Charizard requiring dark energy just would mean it is compatible with Dark Patch, but it doesn’t care about that either. What is affected is the toolbox that can be run.

Back