The Signature and Avatar Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
Advanced Member
Noobnerd: Scroll down for the guides on how to get an avatar (picture below your username) and your signature (text or images that appear after each of your posts).

KG: Violations for oversized signatures are getting way out of hand. Along with that, this forum is getting cluttered with a plethora of topics asking random questions about whether or not an image is fine to have in their signature. This threads purpose is to eliminate all those topics asking random questions. From now on, please ask all questions concerning signatures and avatars in here.

The following is the maximum size for a signature (including text and pictures):

maxsigsize.jpg

Noobnerd: The following part is by ME and not KG. :F

Avatars are the pictures that will appear below your username in every post you make. An avatar helps to make each member special in their own way. Of course, it's not compulsory to have an avatar; some have none at all.

Getting an avatar, compared to making a signature, is extremely easy. Firstly, look at the top of the screen. See the User CP? That's the User Control Panel. Modifications to your account can be made from there. It's very useful, so feel free to explore it.

When you get to the User CP, look at the bar on the left and scroll down, until you see Change Avatar. When you click on it, it'll bring you to the page where you can change your avatar. There are three types of avatar groups you can choose from. The first is from the Default Gallery, which are avatars that have already been uploaded to the forum. In my opinion, these are horrible pictures. I'd rather select my own ones.

The second option is to upload an image from your computer. This is what people usually do. The maximum size for the image is 20kb and the maximum dimensions are 125x125. I'd suggest editing the picture with simple programs such as Paint or if you know how to use them, GIMP or Photoshop, if you want to resize an image.

However, if you don't know how to, and your image is larger than the maximum size, you can take an image hosted on the internet. Just copy the URL of the image where its hosted and paste it inside. If you want to upload your own oversized image, use image hosting sites such as Photobucket or ImageShack and copy/paste the URL in there. The size will not matter, but the rule on the maximum dimensions still applies.

User CP
Change Avatar Page

Signature Help

Recently, I have seen many threads with the same question: h0w d0 1 pU+ a p1c b3l0w 3aCh p05+? or How do I put a picture below each post I make?

Before I tell you how, let me tell you what those words/pictures below each person's post is. It is called a signature. It may contain words of random stuff, pictures, links to threads you made or links to practically any website.

Now, we'll look at how to edit your signature.

Click here. This is the place where you can edit your signature.

You don't know what to do with it, right? Before I tell you that, you must learn how to get there without coming to this thread all the time.

----------
Step One: Getting to the place where you can edit your signature
----------
usercpenter.jpg

Now scroll and look on the left. Click on "Edit Signature".
You should get to a page with a blank box. That's where you can edit your signature.

----------
Step Two: Getting a signature.
----------
We'll start of simply first in your sig tutorial; let's get some random words in.
sigedit1.jpg

Now everytime you post, this should come out in each of your posts:
sigview1.jpg

----------
Step Three Getting a picture in a signature.
----------
Go back to the Edit Signature page through the User CP again.
It should look like this:
sigedit2.jpg

To upload a picture, you must get a picture you like first right? Ok, let's say you like this picture:
teamtwilightbanner.png

Now, save it by right-clicking on the picture and saving it somewhere in your computer:
savingpic1.jpg

savingpic2.jpg

After that, you go to upload the picture at http://imageshack.us/ or http://photobucket.com

Get the URL of the picture between or
teamtwilightbanner.png
[/code]Now, back on the Edit Signature page, paste this in after your previous signature coding, so it will look like this:
Code:
Hi I am stupid. This is just a test signature.
[IMG]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/raichu_ohbeone/teamtwilightbanner.png[/IMG]
And in each of your posts after updating, it will appear as this:
sigview2.jpg

----------
Step Three Linking text.
----------
Very simple:
Code:
[url=addressofthethreadyouarelinkingto]CLICK HERE![/url]
Let's say I want to link to this thread. This is the URL of that thread: http://pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=22558

So this will be the code:
Code:
[url=http://pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=22558]Click here![/url]
Now paste it in the Edit Signature box, and it should look like this:
sigview3.jpg

There, you can mix and match different types of coding. Colour, bolding/italicise/underlining, lists, linking pictures, etc. Just check the newbie guide for different types of coding.

Is my signature ok or do I need to make adjustments to meet the standards for the site?:)

It looks just fine to me; it seems to match up perfectly. Just so everyone knows, I'm removing my quotes. I know they are a bit long. :/

It seems that you(KG), have deleted the previous thread due to the post problem, am i right??
Anyway, is my signature ok??
I think it is ok but I just wanna be sure... :)
Thanks in advance... :D

Kevin Garrett said:
It looks just fine to me; it seems to match up perfectly. Just so everyone knows, I'm removing my quotes. I know they are a bit long. :/

Do I have room to add the Smash Bros page to my signature? I want to add it but I don't want to delete anything to add it to my signature.:)

No space.

Both of your signatures are a little bit too long, but it should be ok.

I had to get rid of THe plsle and minun dancers :( because PMJ said it was too big, i was just cheking if it was ok now.

Posted the guide on the first post. It's very messy. KG, could you help me clean it up?

but you don't have to save as a picture in your computer.... all you have to do is copy image location and put the location between:

it works with me all the time.... unless i'm reading the first post wrong and you said that...... then i'd feel real stupid :F

Señor Noobnerd said:
Posted the guide on the first post. It's very messy. KG, could you help me clean it up?

I put my original message on top sicne I know several members won't even bother reading the whole thing. That way, they can at least see the maximum size for a signature.

There should be a rule (not saying that it will happen at all or anytime soon) where you are allowed 10 website links and make it not including the 255 character limit so that way we here on the forums can have our best or recommended sites. Also a max of 2 pictures which I think it is now but the both be the same size as each other side by side. I am not saying that it will happen but it is something in the future that could happen.:)

Do you guys know how to put pictures beside each other in sigs like

e.g.

[pic of me][pic of clone me]

I always have this kindda results

[pic of me]
[pic of clone me]

Please help and thanks in advance

Code:
[img]URL of image[/img][img]URL of image[/img]
I think you have been doing this:
Code:
[img]URL of image[/img]