Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

ETBs are only single set booster bundles though iirc (never bought one myself) and a lot of the staples you need for a deck, and your deck specifically are spread around sets.

Buying the singles is best when you know what you want, although I don't know how good of a price $84~ is, it depends on what the individual values are of each card (I've gotten certain EXs for like 30% of the price through sniping).

Luispipe8 said:
On the contrary, ash. If you buy boosters, there's more chances you get a pack with nothing you need than getting a pack with 1 of the 60 cards you need for a deck. You can buy 3-4 booster boxes and never get a competitive deck at all. If you're planning to play competitively, ninjas, just buy singles, because that way you can buy from an array of sets and complete your deck.

Don't forget you can trade off cards you you don't need for cards you need as well that was why I suggested boosters over singles because they can be very pricy.:(

you will get more for your money if you buy singles, if you don't don't get a super good deal xD

Really excited for the Primal Clash cards, and wondering whether I should buy a booster box off of pokevault for the 70+$ or wait till theyre released here in canada.

I heard that the quality of japanese cards (especially EX's) is a lot better, and I dont really battle with the cards (although id like to)
Im going to buy an english kyogre elite trainer box either way for that. Any help?

Have you tried comparing price lists to see what the comparison is for there and here as well? Also check online stores like Amazon or Ebay etc.:)

Substitute said:
Really excited for the Primal Clash cards, and wondering whether I should buy a booster box off of pokevault for the 70+$ or wait till theyre released here in canada.

I heard that the quality of japanese cards (especially EX's) is a lot better, and I dont really battle with the cards (although id like to)
Im going to buy an english kyogre elite trainer box either way for that. Any help?

is the booster box from pokevault japanese or english? if it's japanese, don't buy it. $70 for a booster box is really expensive so you could probably find it cheaper somewhere else.
If it's english, buy it! It's dirt cheap! :D

If you're debating whether you should buy the english or japanese booster box, it's all up to you. I would say though that if you don't mind the japanese text and the grey border, go with japanese. The feeling of japanese cards is better, better quality etc. but I want to be able to read the atacks etc. that's why I collect english cards.

Choosing between buying Japanese cards versus English cards is a personal choice; each has its pros and cons. Japanese cards are generally a better quality and their packs and boxes have a higher pull rate than their English counterparts. Japanese cards are also generally cheaper than English, but only if you do your research and purchase smartly. On the other hand, English cards are easier to find and can be purchased at local stores, and you also have the option of playing with them if you choose.

If you do end up deciding to start collecting Japanese cards, I would strongly suggest considering the website AmiAmi. They are a Japanese retailer that sells Pokémon products as well as many other card games, figures, and other Japanese toys and collectibles. The MSRP of a booster box of Japanese Pokémon cards is US$28 (approximately), and on AmiAmi, they even give you a discount, where you can get a box for around US$22. Compare this to PokéVault that is charging US$55 for a single XY box; that's over twice the price! The biggest downside to AmiAmi is that they don't carry older products, and their ordering system may be different from what you're used to. However, I have used them for a few years now and I highly recommend them.

PokéVault is a nice site, but I certainly wouldn't use them to purchase recent or semi-recent cards because they are so expensive. If you either can't or don't want to buy via AmiAmi, my next suggestion would be one of our seller's here, PokePhD, who sells recent Japanese booster boxes in the Selling section of PokéBeach. Otherwise, there's also Ebay, which is usually more expensive than AmiAmi but cheaper than PokéVault or other retailers. The biggest benefit to buying from places like PokéVault is that they offer older cards and things that are more difficult to locate.

mlgchewbacca said:
Furious Fists or Phantom Forces. Which to buy for a beginner.
Thanks

It depends on if you're a collector or a player. As a collector I would personally choose Phantom Forces since I like the artwork more and overall the pokemon more. If you're player, i can't give you any advice since I don't play the game much :/

It really depends what type of deck you're going for. You can make a nearly only FuF Fighting Deck, or Steel PhF deck. FuF is a definitely for grabbing Fighting essentials, but Phantom Force is great for grabbing Trainers, and you could make a decent Manectric-EX, Gengar-EX or Metal deck.

I, personally, would choose Phantom Forces.

bbninjas said:
It really depends what type of deck you're going for. You can make a nearly only FuF Fighting Deck, or Steel PhF deck. FuF is a definitely for grabbing Fighting essentials, but Phantom Force is great for grabbing Trainers, and you could make a decent Manectric-EX, Gengar-EX or Metal deck.

I, personally, would choose Phantom Forces.

I agree. PF is really good for players. There are tons of decks to be made from Phantom Forces and great trainers like Sycamore, Shauna, Enhanced Hammer, etc.

If you are a collected I am not sure what to recommend as I am not one.

raichulover11 said:
Any suggestions for a fun player like me? My price range is under $30.

Are you looking for a deck to play with, or just more cards?

If you're looking for a deck, I recommend the Dark Hammer theme deck. It's got some solid Pokemon, and a lot of great staples, like Sycamore, Professor's Letter, Energy Switch, and Korrina. I'd recommend using the rest of the money to buy some good trainers online. This thread will give you an idea of some solid trainers. If you'd prefer not to deal with buying singles online, Phantom Forces has a lot of these cards, and plenty of other good cards, along with some great Ultra Rares, if you're into collecting.

If you're just looking for more cards, I guess I'd recommend Phantom Forces packs. There aren't many good tins or boxes on the market right now, unfortunately. If you're willing to go a little over $30, a Phantom Forces Elite Trainer box wouldn't be a bad idea either. It comes with packs, along with dice, sleeves, and Energy.

I have a Charizard JUMBO card that I just got for Xmas in the huge Charizard box. My question is How do i protect this card since it can't fit into a sleeve? Do I need one of those full page protectors like you use for paper or is there another way to protect the JUMBO card? How do you guys protect these cards? For now it has to stay in the box plastic until I can get something to cover that huge card. Thanks. XD.:)

xxashxx said:
I have a Charizard JUMBO card that I just got for Xmas in the huge Charizard box. My question is How do i protect this card since it can't fit into a sleeve? Do I need one of those full page protectors like you use for paper or is there another way to protect the JUMBO card? How do you guys protect these cards? For now it has to stay in the box plastic until I can get something to cover that huge card. Thanks. XD.:)

I know Ultra Pro has pages for bigger cards. The plastic sheets are the size of a regular 9-pocket binder page, but instead are either a full page, two pockets, or four pockets. Best place online is probably eBay but I think I've seen some at comic stores. There are also jumbo toploaders but I don't know where to get them.

Nah I think I will use a regular 3 ring page protector. That sounds like the same thing to me. I just wondered since I know where to get those. Thanks anyway XD.:)

I can see why because they can't be used in regular TCG play. They are only a collectors item. Which means standard or tournament TCG play they can't be used. I wonder if they will ever have leagues for JUMBO card play. There is enough for a small 30 card half deck.:)

Hi guys i would like to invest in some staple supporters for future proof. So i know each time 3-4 sets are rotated out but what about league promos? Is there an approximate amount of league promos rotated out each time?

starocean01 said:
Hi guys i would like to invest in some staple supporters for future proof. So i know each time 3-4 sets are rotated out but what about league promos? Is there an approximate amount of league promos rotated out each time?

Most of the time, your League Promos are just going to be numbered from the set they were in, but with a different holo pattern and a League stamp. They're not going to stay in format any longer than the one in an actual set, except for N, which was reprinted as BW100 for Leagues.

Back