Thieves in league.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Okay, so I didn't notice any /active anyway/ threads about this subject.
Do any of you have a common thief in your league? or have had situations where your deck or cards were stolen at a local event? what was the result of that?

Share your stories, I will start:

I haven't had any issues when I moved and started attending the new Pokemon League in my city, that is until we started getting more kids and immature players.
I've recently had a few stolen card situations or near-stolen card situations.

a few months ago, I left a deck with a family member to watch, however, during this time, he came up to see what I was doing (while looking at single cards) and I asked him if my deck was okay, he says he forgot about it, and when he turned his head, the deck box was gone. Devastated and quite irritated, I did my best to not make a scene about it.

Now here's the catch to this: My deck wasn't quite easy to steal if you were stealing it and then playing it; I had crammed custom printed sleeves into the plain clear plastic sleeves, making it OBVIOUS they were my cards. So, a kid asks for a battle, and I pull out my spare deck. He starts bragging about a new deck he bought that was unbeatable and tricky. Low and behold; he pulls out a deck with quite a set of familiar sleeves. Though to his demise he asks me to shuffle the deck for him because he isn't good. So instantly I took the deck, looked through it as the child began flipping out with rage - asking me "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING WITH MY DECK?!" so in response I say "You ever heard of a game called Izuna?" he replies "no, what does that have to do with anything." and I go "Oh fancy that, I love Izuna, look at these sleeves, Izuna, I wonder whatever happened to my- oh look" I ended off as I flip over a series of cards all sharing the same move "I wonder what happened to MY Hydro Pump deck, now I know." and simply checked to make sure my cards were all there, took my deckbox back off the table, and returned the cards to my bag.

I gotta say though, that has got to be the most annoying experience because out of all my decks, I liked that one the most. The child was never seen at league again afterwards.

I was shuffling my deck and my deckbox + extra cards was on the table. I got distracted by pairings and when I am done with my game.
WHen I am done with my game, I saw my deckbox but my extra cards were missing (including some sentimental ones).
I question around in anger.

Turns out some idiot have shoved away in a bin, and another kid found my deckbox....

My good staff friend helped me located for it.

Seriously, that was seriously low.

I am gonna kill that idiot when I get some information from the kid who located the deckbox

Let's face it, 90% of thieves are juniors :/

I myself have been lucky, the only thing I lost was a roller die in tournaments. I left it behind after losing a match and noticed it was missing. Asked my opponent if he saw it, he said no, but I saw he had an extra clear roller die that looked suspiciously like mine. Probably mistake on his part, but it's all I've got. I've been very lucky as far as my league goes. Very few kids, most of them are honest, and I have fairly close ties with the league leader. However, that doesn't stop me from keeping my decks with me at all times.

Magnevire said:
Let's face it, 90% of thieves are juniors :/

This, I know it sounds discriminatory but it's true.

haha...I used to trust my stuff on a table around the league leader or a friend, but ever since that incident and the junior players suddenly swarming league, I've kept my things on me at all times.

To top it off, there's one guy who always wants to see my deck after every match I have. Dude has been constantly trying to get my promo eevees and energy removals in a trade. Ontop of that he has tried stealing cards from me before. So I always say no, and- while it sounds rude, he's made an attempt to grab my deck saying "Oh I wanna see this", I reacted by slamming his hand onto the table. Guy's been trying way too much that his intention has been obvious.

I have never had anything stolen from me at league, but around a year ago one of my league leaders told me that there was a DS theif running around stealing people's DSs but luckily mine didn't get stolen. (though none have been stolen since then)

At league one day, my friend had a deck revolving around Kingdra prime and Donphan Prime and had finally completed it by the time HGSSon was announced and he went to the bathroom and came back and it was gone..... We searched everyone but it was nowhere to be found.... the only clue was a name no one recognized on the sign in sheet. It appeared like a month later when my friends monster binder full of LVX's was stolen.... Coincidence?

I have been lucky enough to never have something stolen from me at a Pokémon event, even though I left my wallet with two hundred dollars in it on a table at nats one year, and left a duffel bag full of cards unattended at a table the very next year. It is a terrible feeling when you do something stupid like that, I can only imagine how bad it would be if the items were stolen, especially since I was supposed to be watching the bag of cards for a friend...

Whether by accident or intentionally, one of my junior friends had his cards taken by another junior at League, most likely because their cards got mixed up and the other guy took them with him. Unintentional or not, they were about 10 RH cards that got taken, one of which was a Catcher.

The next time I saw the other junior I asked if he'd accidentally taken some of the other guy's cards. From what I gather it was unintentional; while I was doing it, I had completely forgotten most of the cards that got taken, but I remembered the Catcher, which I located and gave back to its owner the following week.

As for myself?

I never let anything of mine out of my sight.
Ever.

DNA said:
Whether by accident or intentionally, one of my junior friends had his cards taken by another junior at League, most likely because their cards got mixed up and the other guy took them with him. Unintentional or not, they were about 10 RH cards that got taken, one of which was a Catcher.

The next time I saw the other junior I asked if he'd accidentally taken some of the other guy's cards. From what I gather it was unintentional; while I was doing it, I had completely forgotten most of the cards that got taken, but I remembered the Catcher, which I located and gave back to its owner the following week.

As for myself?

I never let anything of mine out of my sight.
Ever.

Yikes, that'd just be irritating.

reminds me of my little cousin letting his friend borrow his deck for a league and never returning it until I got the parents involved. Little guy couldn't really speak for himself but his friend has made excuses constantly as to why he couldn't bring the deck to him.
The deck has things such as Rare Candy, Pokemon Collector, many good staples that I helped him get, and to top it off - 3 Ability emboars and 2 Reshirams. Even 3 Pokemon Catchers.
the kid gave it back, but it was irritating and became a pet peeve of mine with people being so trustworthy in people they SHOULDN'T trust.

in my opinion, I feel it makes more sense to call people on their actions like these....how would you guys handle it? cause personally, I'd just tell them straight to their face what their intention was if I've had proof as examples.

Imagine that. Children, playing card games. XD

I've never had a problem with thieving (none of my cards have ever been stolen, mind), but there have been a few incidents at my leagues. Mostly people that come and go. Most of the people there are honest, actually. :D

Also I forgot to mention that I know EVERYONE at league by face, if not by name and we get around 3 new members ever so often so if anyone there ever tried to steal from me (which I doubt because alot of the kids there look up to me) I would probably know who it is instantly. There's only one kid I don't like there but he's never done anything bad besides annoy the living crap out of my me and my friends almost every week. (also when I battle, I keep my case right by my legs)

This is all so sad that Pokemon players would stoop so low. My gf had a full pack stolen from her at an EP prelease (which included a catcher) but I wasn't there to do anything about it :/ I personally have had nothing stolen. Except for maybe... and I mean MAYBE... one Pokemon Collector stolen, but I might have just misplaced or traded it and don't remember LOL.

I've never had anything taken. But my friend once got some of his cards taken by accident after his opponent took his lost-zoned cards (they had the same sleeves). It took a while for the kid to give them back but he did. :) Now I like using sleeves that not many other people have.

I dont ever remember having anything stolen in Pokemon, had a friend steal a Telekenisis Mewtwo out of my binder one time and when I got the chance I looked through his and got it back.

I just dont remember it happening in any leagues though, I had some DBZ cards stolen at a league one time, but its not like I miss them one bit anyway.

Yugioh though is a different story, you want to talk about stealing, thats where it happens at. I had an entire deck stolen from me one time, I knew who did it but couldnt prove it as I the 3 little chumps hung around the store, I dont know where they hid it at. When you have to make a deck box to hang on your belt, its a game you probably should avoid.

I once left my phone on a table at worlds (this year!). I went upstairs to chill, checked my pockets, and sprinted back downstairs, and found a few junior players playing at the table my phone was at. I picked it up, and as I was, the kids said that they didn't know who it was, they left it there. Phew! Luckily the people at worlds tend to be nicer

This didn't happen to me, but I heard this story. It happened at Nationals last season, where somebody had his deck laid out at a table. He dropped a card on the floor, bent over to pick it up, and when he looked up all of his Magnezone Prime were gone from his deck. He saw somebody with them walking away quickly and trying to shove them in his binder. He ran over, and said they were his. The other guy claimed they were his. The first guy showed him the matching sleeves, etc, and he eventually gave the cards back. A couple staff members saw the incident, and banned the thief from OP forever.

If somebody steals your stuff, report it!!!

Anyway, I've never had any of my stuff stolen. I've very careful with it; I only bring the cards I need to tournaments and keep it all in a knapsack. When I'm playing, I put the string on the knapsack around my knee so that even if somebody grabs it, I'll know and they can't get away with it. Hopefully it will stay this way.

I try to always keep my stuff nearby, especially after having a few things stolen (Pokemon Catcher, Magnezone Prime).

My friend got banned from my local store because someone else took another kids binder and put it underneath my friends jacket so it looked like he was stealing it, when he actually wasn't and so he got banned for that.

It really stinks knowing people would steal stuff from others, especially in a game like Pokemon, but it's just what happens.

After having my 3DS stolen, I've learned a thing or two about watching things.

1. Supervise anyone looking at your binder.
2. Double check a lot. Sometimes someone can be at the right place at the right time to steal something.
3. Keep your backpack or whatever AT YOUR FEET when playing a match.
4. Don't rely on other people to watch your stuff. That's how I got my 3DS stolen, my grandma said I could double check AFTER we got our bags. I'm not blaming it on her, but instead myself for letting someone else be responsible for 400 dollars of combined spending towards 3DS stuff. Only you can care the most for your own stuff.

Some 12 year old stole all my dark energies (even the specials) and half of my fire energies while I was battling a friend a few months ago.
Right next to me while his brother stood in the way and "watched us play". Partner didn't even notice either because he was like all over.
The worst part was when I told the staff they said they couldn't do much since they just left when I looked over my cards to make a new deck. Ridiculous. They would stop me cold if I did that, or if one of the older players did. It probably sounds bad or wrong but since I was the only girl there ever that was active in the collecting/playing, I feel like they could just do that and get away with it. :/ idk

And they did. Often (apparently from what another guy told me).

I never got the chance to get back at him either because we moved and I can't use my dark 'mons anymore. :C

^The good news is that Basic Dark energy sell for 3 cents each, and Basic Fire sell for 2. Lol. It could have been a 110 dollar Tropical Beach, just saying. :)

Back