What Books are You Reading & What Do You Like About Them? Book Reviews Encouraged!!

RE: What books are you reading?

I'm reading the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Philip Pullman (Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass) and they are amazing. A friend recommended I read them and I highly recommend them (however there are some things that I think makes it PG-13-ish).

Currently I am reading Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky. Its a good book but it has 700+ pages.

Arcavine185 said:
I'm reading the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Philip Pullman (Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass) and they are amazing. A friend recommended I read them and I highly recommend them (however there are some things that I think makes it PG-13-ish).
Awesome trilogy!!! three thumbs up!

Just finished reading Hunger Games, I'm gonna start the other two soon, the first one was really good, and I got to do it for an English asignment :D

The gone series is AMAZING, and I'm reading the last book right now, as it only came out recently. It is a bit gruesome at times, but has a great plot. Btw, the author is Michael Grant. You should all go out and read it when you get time.:D

Tri3sten said:
The gone series is AMAZING, and I'm reading the last book right now, as it only came out recently. It is a bit gruesome at times, but has a great plot. Btw, the author is Michael Grant. You should all go out and read it when you get time.:D
I loooooooooovvvvvveeeeeeee that series way too much. I had no clue the last one came out. You just put me in so much pain having to wait to get it now...

I just started reading Lord of the Flies (mainly because of Gone, actually). I'm only partway through Chapter 2, but I'm really liking it so far.

I had to read Lord of the Flies for school, and that was before reading Gone. I thought it was funny how Gone is like a modern version of LOTF, although gone is so much better! The last book in the series is called light, and the book before that was called fear, in case you hadn't read it :p. Have fun with Light!

Just finished the Hunger Games series for the second time. Probably my favorite book series of all time.

I'm going to start reading the Chronicles of Narnia series soon.

You young kids and your modern books, currently rereading The Once and Future King ^__^

Reading the Merlin Effect by T.A Barron and just finished up the Beyonder's series by Brandon Mull. Read all 3 books in 2 days. I had the chance to read them earlier but didn't. Oh well. I like Mull a lot though. I loved the Fablehaven series which I read years ago. Mull loves to make characters that build trust throughout the series only to betray you in the worst ways later on. Pride, good choice, that is a good book.

I had to read To Kill a Mocking Bird for school. It is such a boring book, and its like 375 pages.

MountainDrew said:
I had to read To Kill a Mocking Bird for school. It is such a boring book, and its like 375 pages.

It's like 200 pages, and it's quite a good book.

I don't know why I disagree with so many people!

Nengeni said:
MountainDrew said:

It's like 200 pages, and it's quite a good book.

I don't know why I disagree with so many people!

Maybe if we throw in some angsty teenage girls and supernatural creatures, then maybe kids will like it!

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel series. Right now I'm on Magician, which is number two in the series out of six. Great plot, except both of the twins act sort of oblivious, and a little to naive. And has anybody read the book Skullduggery Pleasent? The books plot is alright, and builds well, but the corny jokes are what really make it a book to read for me.

Suitcune said:
The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel series. Right now I'm on Magician, which is number two in the series out of six. Great plot, except both of the twins act sort of oblivious, and a little to naive. And has anybody read the book Skullduggery Pleasent? The books plot is alright, and builds well, but the corny jokes are what really make it a book to read for me.

Is that first one a Harry Potter spin off? What is it about? If it is that sounds really interesting. Harry Potter is one of my all time favorites.

Elite Stride said:
Is that first one a Harry Potter spin off? What is it about? If it is that sounds really interesting. Harry Potter is one of my all time favorites.
I wouldn't really call it a spinoff. It based off its own character named Nicholas Flamel, an alchemyst from the 14th century. These books go through the life of Sophie and Josh Newman, to 15 year olds with gold and silver auras. Dee, Nicholas's sworn enemy, has come to take the Book of Secrets (aka Codex), Written by Abraham the Mage, that has spells that can destroy the earth, and can heal almost any disease. This series consists of 6 books: The Alchemyst, The Magican, The Sorceress, The Necromancer, The Warlock, and The Echantress. Also a movie is in pre-production. I would recomend these books.

Suitcune said:
Elite Stride said:
I wouldn't really call it a spinoff. It based off its own character named Nicholas Flamel, an alchemyst from the 14th century. These books go through the life of Sophie and Josh Newman, to 15 year olds with gold and silver auras. Dee, Nicholas's sworn enemy, has come to take the Book of Secrets, Written by Abraham the Mage, that has spells that can destroy the earth, and can heal almost any disease. This series consists of 6 books: The Alchemyst, The Magican, The Sorceress, The Necromancer, The Warlock, and The Echantress. Also a movie is in pre-production. I would recomend these books.

Oh wow, I didn't know about those books. Seems interesting. Anyway, I just finished reading the Casual Vacancy (*sniffs*) and the Order of the Poison Oak (second book of the series) I loved that book! (it's a LGBT book, mind you).

EDIT: Suitcune; In that book, Nicholas Flamel, is it the same character in HP books? If it is, I'm surprised it's a different author. Hmm.

Matty said:
Oh wow, I didn't know about those books. Seems interesting. Anyway, I just finished reading the Casual Vacancy (*sniffs*)

I must know how The Casual Vacancy was too! I hear it's more adult suited, but it has to be great if it's from her! Give us a review!

Matty said:
EDIT: Suitcune; In that book, Nicholas Flamel, is it the same character in HP books? If it is, I'm surprised it's a different author. Hmm.

I'm also wondering the same thing!

Matty said:

I don't read Harry Potter, but it might be the same character from one, but its a different story.

Elite Stride said:
I must know how The Casual Vacancy was too! I hear it's more adult suited, but it has to be great if it's from her! Give us a review!

This book is heartbreaking, touching, real, mind-blowing, gritty and yet, just slightly sickening.

Just a warning; Don't read it just because it's J.K. Rowling, it's also not a murder-mystery book. It's very adult-oriented book, so kids shouldn't read it.

Anyway, It's a really good book, in fact I loved it. Obviously it's not the same as HP but it's still a great book anyway. Keep in mind, the beginning might be boring to you but keep reading til the middle of the book, it's about to get juicy! ;D

Back