XY What Is Your Opinion on The Fairy-type? Think Pokémon, Type-Distribution, etc.

RE: Why do you think the Fairy type is super-effective against Dragons?

One thing I thought of:

If its American-based fairies, fairies are tiny nearly insignificant creatures. The moral could be "do not underestimate the unlikely" (or dont underestimate size, since fairies are tiny and dragons are huge) Fairies are also sometimes depicted as crafty and intelligent, outsmarting a lot of the bigger things.

If its foreign fairies, well, there are obvious reasons there. Just look them up. They are some devious scary creatures.

But I'm really liking the whole "dragons get killed in fairy tales" concept.

One thing I don't get though is the "magic must defeat magic" one. It makes sense to an extent, but if that were the case here, you would think that fairies would also have a weakness to dragon as opposed to an immunity. That concept does apply to dragons vs dragons though.

RE: Your views on the Fairy type-distribution and the Fairy type Pokemon

I merged the thread "My Logic for Fairies/Dragons" with the current thread since this thread was made to discuss the Fairy-type.

gamefreak33797 said:
How do you feel about the new Fairy type-distributions? And the new Fairy-type Pokemon?

I'm quite excited about it, since it gives my favorite Pokémon , Gardevoir, a great bonus.

I think it will be like this for its evolutionary line:

Ralts: Psychic
Kirlia: Psychic/Fairy
Gardevoir: Psychic/Fairy

I like the current distribution.

It is a better distribution than say Dark and Steel were back when they were introduced. For me the distribution of fairy types right now seems to be Game Freak trying not to screw up by introducing just two or three fairy types like they did with dark and steel types back in gen two. Although there could be other reasons too.

gamefreak33797 said:
How do you feel about the new Fairy type-distributions? And the new Fairy-type Pokemon?

I'm quite excited about it, since it gives my favorite Pokémon , Gardevoir, a great bonus.

I think it will be like this for its evolutionary line:

Ralts: Psychic
Kirlia: Psychic/Fairy
Gardevoir: Psychic/Fairy

Can't imagine why Kirlia would gain the Fairy-type... it'd make more sense if Ralts and Kirlia would be pure Psychic, with only Gardevoir and Gallade getting a second type; Fairy and Fighting respectively.

Am I the only one kinda angry that fairy pokemon are indeed super effective against dark type? dark trype didn't need another type that could kill it. not to mention this makes the dark/ghost gimmick null. now spirittomb and sableye are just normal mildly weak dark type pokemon

Chandelure said:
Am I the only one kinda angry that fairy pokemon are indeed super effective against dark type? dark trype didn't need another type that could kill it. not to mention this makes the dark/ghost gimmick null. now spirittomb and sableye are just normal mildly weak dark type pokemon
I actually like the fact it had that weakness if only so I know Fennekins line will end as fire/psychic mostly since there is so much from the rumours confirmed.

I have an Absol with Ice Beam and Thunder Bolt, not to mention he will soon probably be Fairy as well, so he might wanna learn Fairy Wind, and Moon Blast and just screw all of the Dragon-Types over altogether.

HeroThePokemonMaster said:
I have an Absol with Ice Beam and Thunder Bolt, not to mention he will soon probably be Fairy as well, so he might wanna learn Fairy Wind, and Moon Blast and just screw all of the Dragon-Types over altogether.

I think he is still pure dark type sorry. :(

Chandelure said:

I think nerfing Dark/Ghost types was part of the reason why they made Dark weak to Fairy, the entire point of Fairy is to balance out the type chart, after all.

Dark being weak to Fairy could be kind of a problem, but I think the bigger problems with the new type chart are that Ice is still terrible defensively and that Ground is SE against every major Fairy counter.

Chandelure said:
dark trype didn't need another type that could kill it.

Prior to Fairy, Dark was only weak to 2 types, one of them isn't used that much outside of stab....

Its not Darks weaknesses that are annoying, its that a lot of them have crap defensive stats, which is what I'm guessing is what Dark is about: hit hard before the other can attack, yet they can't take much damage themselves due to only resorting to foul play.

Its not like having one more weakness will make Dark totally bad, look at dragon. All dragons have to really worry about now is if a Fairy switches into their Outrage and they get set up on.

P.DelSlayer said:
Chandelure said:
dark trype didn't need another type that could kill it.

Prior to Fairy, Dark was only weak to 2 types, one of them isn't used that much outside of stab....

Its not Darks weaknesses that are annoying, its that a lot of them have crap defensive stats, which is what I'm guessing is what Dark is about: hit hard before the other can attack, yet they can't take much damage themselves due to only resorting to foul play.

Its not like having one more weakness will make Dark totally bad, look at dragon. All dragons have to really worry about now is if a Fairy switches into their Outrage and they get set up on.

Sad part is most dark types don't have something to take down their real threats.:( (i'm so sorry umbreon Im not making you my defensive tank anymore.)

The first three Pokemon that we were introduced that were re-typed all are incredibly strong now. Jigglypuff looses its original weakness and becomes strong against it. Marill becomes much stronger and has weakness only to Electric, Poison, and Grass (which can be lost with Sap Sipper). Marill also has many resistances (Fire, Ice, Water, Fighting, Dark, Bug) plus an immunity to Dragon. And Gardevoir loses its double weakness to Bug and Dark.

These Pokemon and their evolutions are going to upset overall gameplay and strategy.

The only Dragons that will be safe are Dragon/Fire.
Dark/Dragons and Dark/Fighting BEWARE!!
Hydregion will die because of Fairy Type being so overpowered.

I wonder if Arceus is going to get a Fairy Plate.

Fairy has weaknesses; it isn't as overpowered as you think. It has 2 weaknesses (Steel and Poison) and is resisted by 3 types: Steel, Poison, and Fire.

Shocker said:
Fairy has weaknesses; it isn't as overpowered as you think. It has 2 weaknesses (Steel and Poison) and is resisted by 3 types: Steel, Poison, and Fire.
But what are the odds any but Steel are likely to get a serious boost in useage this generation?

Fire and Poison types are still pretty bad defensively, and Poison's only other super effective target is Grass, which is handled well by common Fire-type attacks, so I can't really see it getting a huge boost... that leaves Steel, with its new offensive niche (versus Fairy) and great defenses, and not much else from what I can tell to counter Fairies...

Won't dragons still have a place in the meta-game? I would assume that since fairies will be natural counters, dragons will just fit more naturally into the ebb and flow of a pokemon battle and not feel like a large obstacle to overcome. It seems like some people are acting like dragons will never be used again but I don't think that will be the case.

Terack said:
Won't dragons still have a place in the meta-game? I would assume that since fairies will be natural counters, dragons will just fit more naturally into the ebb and flow of a pokemon battle and not feel like a large obstacle to overcome. It seems like some people are acting like dragons will never be used again but I don't think that will be the case.

Of course they will. Dark and Steel didn't banish all psychic Pokemon to the abyss. They just balanced them and threw them into the normal pile with the rest of the types. Think of it this way, Dark was sort of the fairy type of it's time. Weak to two types, resists two, and immune to one. Fairy just has one type resistance above it. . .
The only thing I could see changing the game is Steel losing it's resistances. But, that's for a different time and place.

While we discuss how gamefreak didn't manage to actually make types more balanced and wait for gen 6 to arrive.. Scizor is laughing somewhere.

I'm just thrilled that so many cute and overused pokemon are going to be weak and ineffectual against poison types.

J.D. said:
But what are the odds any but Steel are likely to get a serious boost in useage this generation?

Fire and Poison types are still pretty bad defensively, and Poison's only other super effective target is Grass, which is handled well by common Fire-type attacks, so I can't really see it getting a huge boost... that leaves Steel, with its new offensive niche (versus Fairy) and great defenses, and not much else from what I can tell to counter Fairies...

The very existence of Fairy is enough for those types to see an increase in usage, with everyone packing Fairies now, you're going to want one of those types just in case you see one. As for which ones will be more common, Steel is probably going to see the most usage as a Fairy killer because it still far outnumbers the others in terms of resistances, so expect to see a lot of those now.

MuhFugginMoose said:
The only thing I could see changing the game is Steel losing it's resistances. But, that's for a different time and place.

Metagross, Jirachi, and Bronzong certainly don't like their new Dark and Ghost weaknesses, I'll say that much.

Back