What Music are You Listening to Lately? Why?

RE: What music are you listening to?

I'm currently literally unable to stop listening to the Holy Trinity that is Death Cab For Cutie, Bush and Dido...

Odd trio, granted, but perfect coverage for long walks and duelling.

Chanbob said:
Thanks mate! I take it you're a Sabaton fan too. One of my all time favourite bands...I got into them in the early 00's, been hooked ever since! I saw them live earlier in the year at Camden's Electric Ballroom, with Alestorm and Thaurorod supporting...great gig!

I got into them in 2009 when I heard 40:1. They're the band that really got me into heavy metal and really opened up a door to some amazing music. I was so upset when I couldn't see them when they were in Denver this April. Maybe next time I guess. D:

Didn't look through the entire thread but someone has to be listening to these:

'Classic' Guns 'n' Roses, not this recent post lawsuit screech. I mean Live era 87-93, Appetite for Destruction, Use your Illusion, the best classic rock music the world has ever seen.
Jimi Hendrix - Ultimate Experience, the chilling out music as I like to say.
Dragonforce - The ultimate metal band, more incredible than...a wi-fi event in...space. Once in a Lifetime is a god among music, Disciples of Babylon is incredible. Dragonforce the most amazing band and always will be. And don't say they all sound the same or the music is sped up, they have a live album and if you have listened to more thn 3 songs then you will know.
The Beatles - Red album, Blue album, Sgt. Peppers, Revolver
Frank Sinatra - Yes...
Elena Siegman - Look it up.
Pokemon: The Missingno Tracks - A sample is in my sig. OC remix did an incredible job.
Scott Pilgrim soundtrack - No explanation needed.

Dubstep sucks
Everything else sucks
*Runs*

Uninstall said:
Dragonforce - The ultimate metal band, more incredible than...a wi-fi event in...space. Once in a Lifetime is a god among music, Disciples of Babylon is incredible. Dragonforce the most amazing band and always will be. And don't say they all sound the same or the music is sped up, they have a live album and if you have listened to more thn 3 songs then you will know.

DragonForce is a mediocre band. Kiuas, Before the Dawn, Tracedawn, Axenstar, a lot of bands have more talent than DForce. Their music is alright, but there are many more superior metal bands out there.

The Fallen One said:
DragonForce is a mediocre band. Kiuas, Before the Dawn, Tracedawn, Axenstar, a lot of bands have more talent than DForce. Their music is alright, but there are many more superior metal bands out there.

I am very stingy when it comes to music, I like what I like and I am not prone to listening to alien bands. Dragonforce just hits the spot for me, long solo's, imaginitive lyrics. I don't care if people don't think they have much talent, it's what you do with it, Dragonforce fits in my extremely weird slot of mine perfectly; I can't really explain it.

DragonForce, a mediocre band? Why don't you pick up a guitar and just TRY to do what they do in their music. I guarantee you'll fail, especially considering the complex, intricate, and most of all quick lead parts. While I do agree there are MANY metal bands out there that are better than they are, to say they are mediocre is a severe underestimation of their talent.

The Fallen One said:

Thank you sir...just...thank you! :D

In my opnion, Dragonforce is speedy nonsense-riffing, mediocre rubbish! (Though everyone is entitled to their opinion, each to their own!) Their tracks are so sped-up in studio that they cannot actually play at the same speed live, or struggle to do so (and I've seen them live twice at festivals, so I know from experience). The guitarist often breaks strings during sets, and the singer just can't sing. At all. The lyrics are almost Manowar-esque in cringeyness...'GLORY! HONOUR! DRAGONS! WARRIORS! FREEEEEEDOM!'...see what I mean? :) Not wanting to be all 'OMG TRVE KVLT!!!11one' but it's just bad, teenage metal to me. All in all, not my thing, but fair play to your tastes.

Oh, and @PokeChamp, if you want to hear some real guitar talent, have a listen to Devin Townsend/Strapping Young Lad. The man is a crazy, bald genius!

Right now I'm listening to some good ol' Korpiklaani, ICS Vortex and Firewind. :D

PokeChamp said:
DragonForce, a mediocre band? Why don't you pick up a guitar and just TRY to do what they do in their music. I guarantee you'll fail, especially considering the complex, intricate, and most of all quick lead parts. While I do agree there are MANY metal bands out there that are better than they are, to say they are mediocre is a severe underestimation of their talent.

I wouldn't know, I haven't played the guitar ever. I know the guitarists have some talent but overall the band is rather mediocre. Through the Fire and Flames is an alright song, I just know a lot of bands that wipe the floor with DragonForce because every one of their members is at a very high level of talent.

Chanbob said:

In my opnion, Dragonforce is speedy nonsense-riffing, mediocre rubbish! (Though everyone is entitled to their opinion, each to their own!) Their tracks are so sped-up in studio that they cannot actually play at the same speed live, or struggle to do so (and I've seen them live twice at festivals, so I know from experience). The guitarist often breaks strings during sets, and the singer just can't sing. At all. The lyrics are almost Manowar-esque in cringeyness...'GLORY! HONOUR! DRAGONS! WARRIORS! FREEEEEEDOM!'...see what I mean? :) Not wanting to be all 'OMG TRVE KVLT!!!11one' but it's just bad, teenage metal to me. All in all, not my thing, but fair play to your tastes.

Oh, and @PokeChamp, if you want to hear some real guitar talent, have a listen to Devin Townsend/Strapping Young Lad. The man is a crazy, bald genius!

Right now I'm listening to some good ol' Korpiklaani, ICS Vortex and Firewind. :D

Kiuas was one of the first bands I discovered, with Warrior Soul. I've been hooked ever since. Shame that Ilja had to leave :(

Mikko Salovaara and Tuomas Saukkonen are by far the two of talented musicians I know in metal. Tobias Sammet is also really talented in a lot of areas, being a composer, vocalist, and guitarist for Avantasia.

All in all it comes down to taste, but being a lover of metal I can typically separate out good and bad bands, and I can say with certainty Dragonforce is not an amazing band.

Chanbob said:

1. If you have seen them live, then they sound a lot better than in the studio and they are not sped up, their music is even faster live. Twilight Dementia proved that to everyone.
2. If Herman Li breaks a string during sets, then that is just awesome.
3. ZP is an incredible singer, much better than some of the bands that come out nowadays.
4. *Gasp* a genre other people like? My god that's...that's...that's criminal.
5. Teenage Metal? I don't even have a response to that.

And I hate when people say "Oh it's just your opinion, don't mind me"
If I didn't mind it I wouldn't be posting a reply. This is how discussion works.

Uninstall said:
1. If you have seen them live, then they sound a lot better than in the studio and they are not sped up, their music is even faster live. Twilight Dementia proved that to everyone.
2. If Herman Li breaks a string during sets, then that is just awesome.
3. ZP is an incredible singer, much better than some of the bands that come out nowadays.
4. *Gasp* a genre other people like? My god that's...that's...that's criminal.
5. Teenage Metal? I don't even have a response to that.

And I hate when people say "Oh it's just your opinion, don't mind me"
If I didn't mind it I wouldn't be posting a reply. This is how discussion works.

When I say 'fair play to your tastes', sir, I'm not saying 'don't mind me, don't respond to me', I'm saying that you are as much entitled to your opinion as I am...nobody is right or wrong. Cool your jets, mate! :)

I never said anything about 'a genre other people like', or even mentioned the fact that they are mainstream...I'm not at all sure where you got that from. I don't care if people like them or not, and I don't dislike them because they're popular. I dislike them for my reasons listed. I love my metal, I just don't like this band!

'Teenage metal' to me is stuff that I had a passing interest in during my teen years, mostly because it's something new at the time. I soon decided I didn't like them, and moved on. I wasn't entirely clear on that...I'm not trying to say that only teenagers listen to it! That's silly. Sorry if that came across wrong!

Breaking strings during sets is a little unprofessional in my opinion...as it kind of wrecks the ability to play properly for the rest of the set. It can be avoided, and generally isn't a show of skill.

I saw them back in '07 and '09 respectively, and I haven't heard them again since...maybe their stuff is better now? Bad sets? I wan't impressed either way. Their sound was erratic and off time, and the lead singer's voice was badly out of tune. He also decided it was a good idea to yell at women to flash their front bumpers at him between songs...and that, to me, comes across as arrogant and crass. I'm no prude, certainly not, but I hate it when lead singers do that.

All in all, calm yourself, mate. I'm not intentionally trying to offend, or provoke. Bottom line - I don't like this band, this is why, just my opinion, just as entitled as yours is. Isn't that how a discussion works? It's just a band, no need to get worked up! :)

Now I'm listening to some Dio (Magica), Alice Cooper (Hey Stoopid) and Accept (Balls to the Wall)!

I just want to clarify that I'm not huge on DragonForce, I just don't think mediocre is a word that describes what they do. I do agree with many of your points, but in the end there is music there and there is certainly a degree of complexity to it. And for that, I appreciate what they do. However, I certainly agree there is much better out there.

Your taste in the classics is impeccable, by the way. I love Dio, whether it's his solo career or with Black Sabbath, I really dig the stuff he did with Rainbow, too.

Alice Cooper's music is just timeless, there is no question about it. His work has inspired so many genres out there, not just rock n' roll. The musicians in his band are top-class.

Right now, I'm listening to some Randy Rhoads (primarily off of "Tribute"). His work is excellent, "Blizzard of Ozz" and "Diary of a Madman" are two of the greatest guitar albums ever created. Listen to them again. :) Also I like some of the work he did with Quiet Riot, as well.

My favorites have changed a bit. I'm more into Ozzy Ozbourne, Metallica, Eminem, M. Manson, and Linkin Park now.
I have satellite radio now, and I was listening to the Liquid Metal channel, and I heard these bands:
Cannibal Corpse
Exodus
Kittie
Judas Priest
Animals for Leaders
They all sounded pretty heavy, especially Cannibal Corpse.

Shinedown, Living Colour, and Killswitch Engage. An odd trio I've got there.

I have recently been listening to my favorite band of all time, Sum 41.

PokeChamp said:

Dragonforce is decent. The guitar solos are great but there's not much else to it. :/

I've moved back to Simple Plan who used to be my favorite band last year. And then from Simple Plan, I went to Mayday Parade, and then from there We The Kings.

Astronaut by Simple Plan is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard by them and is vying for my favorite song overall at the moment.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVtLYLYaEhM[/video]

Let's see how many dare to listen.

Now I'm starting to love Deadmau5. He is very cool in a tehcno sort of way. My favorite song is "Cthulhu Sleeps".

The Fallen One said:
I don't think that Linkin Park or Marilyn Manson are exactly metal bands.

Sabaton, Across the Sun, and Hands Like Glass seem to be hitting me right now.

Linkin Park! Love it!

Back