XY What Type might Sylveon be?

RE: What Type might Ninfia (Sylveon) be??

It seems to me to be Normal type. The bow is a huge clue, perhaps our only real evidence. If it does happen to be Normal type, it will probably just evolve with a Moon stone.

I still think it would be so boring if Sylveon actually does turn out to be normal type. Just use unevolved eevee if you want a normal type, and yeah I understand it evolving would give it better stats but still I hope it's gonna be some other type than normal.

Normal, Flying and Bug probably the most probable. But surely the image of eevee surrounded by eeveelutions and these evolutions are opposite the one that it is strong/weak against should count for something. And since it looks nothing like a ground type, we can assume a flying type based on that.

tyranicham said:
Normal, Flying and Bug probably the most probable. But surely the image of eevee surrounded by eeveelutions and these evolutions are opposite the one that it is strong/weak against should count for something. And since it looks nothing like a ground type, we can assume a flying type based on that.

It looks as much Ground as Flying, which is... not at all? btw ground is in most cases less obvious than flying in the design, but we're talking about eeveelutions here, which show their type in several obvious impossible to misinterpret ways.

Even if it were Normal type, it's name doesn't point to being anything related to the normal type.
However... Sylvanshine, a phenomenon involving light, seems to point at it being a new type.
I may be wrong, but still...

Well I actually joined this site due to this discussion :)

I may have overlooked it in this thread, but back when Sylveon was first announced I assumed dragon for a number of reasons.
1) The eyes (to me) look like dragon scales http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Bag_Dragon_Scale_Sprite.png
2) Though Milotic is a water type, it does have some dragon like attributes. Sylveon seems to share a similar color scheme.
3) The bows that are often viewed as being "butterfly-like" could also be seen as two scales back to back.
4) The color scheme for dragon-type attacks tend to be blue (royal and cyan), pink, and purple. (Sylveon shares many of these colors)
5) The wheel chart (the one that pairs Jolteon w/ Sylveon) assumes that it is suggesting a super-effective connection, but it could equally be resistance (or in my personal opinion just conjecture - the top 3 are generation 1, the middle 2 are generation 2, the last row before Sylveon is generation 4, and they all surround Eevee.) - Fire resists Ice, Dark is Immune to Psychic, Grass resists Water, which would leave Dragon, Grass, or Ground resisting Electric. All of the current Eeveelutions were Special types in the first generations - so that would rule out ground, grass = Leafeon, so we are left with Dragon.

Well that was what I thought then, now I'm a little less sure.

I'm not really comfortable with the talk about a pure female evolution requirement. As stated by a user above, the chance of receiving a female Eevee is a statistical improbability and in the case of the hidden ability gift Eevee in B2W2 it's impossible. If you've ever tried breeding for a female Eevee then you would know how frustrating it can be.
Aside from the statistics, Eevee just doesn't fit well into that female only category. The only Pokemon that seem to be female only, are female due to some reproduction aesthetic: Mammary glands( Miltank, Nidoqueen), child birthing capabilities (chansey, kangaskhan), etc. or by fitting into a female social role category (Lilligant = Princess, vespiquen = Queen). Sylveon doesn't fit into that category (at least based purely on aesthetics). It could very likely be just another cute Pokemon.

Many fans consider Espeon, Glaceon, etc. to be female because of their conditioned social role stereotypes, but the designers didn't agree that they were female only. Gardevoir's Japanese name is literally saanaito (Sir Knight) many declare Gardevoir as being female because of stereotypes.

Audino, Bellossom, Milotic, Luvdisc, Gorebyss, etc. etc. are not female only and one could argue that they are every bit as "feminine" as Sylveon.

In my honest opinion, I just can't see Sylveon fitting into any of the current types. I don't think a Light type is that great of a probability since Dark has nothing to do with the lack of light. In Japanese Dark = Aku which could be translated as Evil or Wickedness type. Also, Espeon is the Sun Pokemon and Umbreon is the Moon Pokemon - they already complete the light/darkness - good/evil dichotomy. In my humble opinion, adding a light type would feel rather redundant.

Lastly, could someone please explain the similarities between Skyla and Sylveon? Aside from the big eyes and a similar shade of blue, I simply cannot see it.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Black_White_Skyla.png

@Mitja - I used to always equip my Eevee with a Pink Bow back in Gold/Silver/Crystal and I think it would be fantastic if that became an evolution method for Eevee at some point in the future.

I do agree that they've never had an inconsistent evolution method in the past. They have always added an area, a time, a move that it must learn (couldn't learn in previous generations), an item it must hold, etc.

So it would require holding the "Pink Bow" and some other arbitrary requirement that couldn't have existed in generation 2. You could already equip Eevee w/ a Pink Bow and Trade it, Level it up to 100 (unless it has to be in some sort of Park or something), increase friendship to the maximum, etc.

*Also am I the only person who has always wished that Eevee would learn Tri-attack? The move feels like it was made for Eevee* (Tri-Attack is my favorite move in the game and I was deeply saddened by the fact that I couldn't have a Clefable w/ Tri-Attack post generation 2)

Resplendence said:
I do agree that they've never had an inconsistent evolution method in the past. They have always added an area, a time, a move that it must learn (couldn't learn in previous generations), an item it must hold, etc.

Lickitung evolves into Lickilicky while knowing Rollout even though Lickitung knew it in Gen 2. They can really do whatever they want, they just seem to prefer to introduce new methods, so level up with Pink Bow is just as likely as anything.

Resplendence said:
@Mitja - I used to always equip my Eevee with a Pink Bow back in Gold/Silver/Crystal and I think it would be fantastic if that became an evolution method for Eevee at some point in the future.

So it would require holding the "Pink Bow" and some other arbitrary requirement that couldn't have existed in generation 2. You could already equip Eevee w/ a Pink Bow and Trade it, Level it up to 100 (unless it has to be in some sort of Park or something), increase friendship to the maximum, etc.

*Also am I the only person who has always wished that Eevee would learn Tri-attack? The move feels like it was made for Eevee* (Tri-Attack is my favorite move in the game and I was deeply saddened by the fact that I couldn't have a Clefable w/ Tri-Attack post generation 2)

It wouldnt even be that inconsistent due to GSC being cut off. Remember the Pink Bow hasn't returned in gen 3 or later.

I highly doubt Sylveon will be a Female-only Eeveelution for one reason, and one only:
Eevee evolves due to habitat/environment changes, or changes in it's surroundings. Being a girl is not an environmental change.

However I can see Normal going along, for a reason similar to the above:
Eevee changes depending on it's surroundings. Normal would simply be not having any external conditions to force it to adapt.

If I had to say (and if there's no new types introduced) I would say Normal or Flying

Paddy185 said:
I highly doubt Sylveon will be a Female-only Eeveelution for one reason, and one only:
Eevee evolves due to habitat/environment changes, or changes in it's surroundings. Being a girl is not an environmental change.

Eevee changes depending on it's surroundings. Normal would simply be not having any external conditions to force it to adapt.

It does not. It evolves after exposure from a sufficient elemental source. Fire, Water, Thunder, Light, Darkness, Life, Cold.

However Sylveon so far is unconventional in every aspect so far, hence there is no good reason to believe it will evolve by whatever you might expect....but then again, it has always been a method that wasn't used before, so.

Not that I think it might be female only, before someone misunderstands my reply. It has as good chances as any other eeveelution before (they all look more feminine than masculine, yet their gender rates are 87.5%, whoops)

Mitja said:
Paddy185 said:

It does not. It evolves after exposure from a sufficient elemental source. Fire, Water, Thunder, Light, Darkness, Life, Cold.

It's Pokedex entries say that it's unstable genetic make up suddenly changes depending on it's environment. Granted, 3 or so mention elemental stones specifically, but those were the Gen.1 & Stadium.

Paddy185 said:
Mitja said:

It's Pokedex entries say that it's unstable genetic make up suddenly changes depending on it's environment. Granted, 3 or so mention elemental stones specifically, but those were the Gen.1 & Stadium.

and let me guess, those dex entries are from Sinnoh? Which is obviously due to the additions with that region, Leafeon/Glaceon, and because their elemental "stones" are locations instead of items.

But seriously, dex entries weren't even required to join the discussion, as we can actually test the methods themselves. Even if the dex said that eevee evolves depending on air pressure, no one cares, because we know their actual methods.

Mitja said:
Paddy185 said:

and let me guess, those dex entries are from Sinnoh? Which is obviously due to the additions with that region, Leafeon/Glaceon, and because their elemental "stones" are locations instead of items.

No it's G/S/C, R/S/E and D/P. There's much more evidence to suggest the environment causes it's change, rather than elemental sources.

Mitja's ability would be Contrary. I wouldn't bother arguing, Paddy, since he could've easily checked the Pokédex entries himself instead of responding so haughtily. Just let him think what he wants, who cares?

Eevee's reasons for evolution aside, here is an image that another user posted, from Smash, that has to do with Sylveon, and a supposed 'new' Eeveelution.
Also, the colors of the writing correspond to an Eeveelution (Glaceon=light blue, Espeon=purple)

what_do_you_think__by_icaro382-d5z1d07.png

I can kinda buy two Eeveelutions for Flying and Ground, as that leaves most of the reasons for Eevee's evolution, maybe a more masculine Rock or Ground type? Rock, in my opinion is the more likely, as each pair of Eeveelutions revealed, one of them has a typing advantage over the other (Umbreon beats Espeon, Glaceon beats Leafeon). One could argue Ground is likely due to Umbreon's immunity to Psychic (Espeon), and I could see a 'land vs. sky' theme with them.

And if this Ground or Rock Eeveelution does come along, then I highly doubt Sylveon would be a Normal type.

Maybe this is why they're keeping quiet about Sylveon's type, to reveal that it's Flying and the second Eeveelution at the same time, or would they just say something like "Could there be another Eeveelution to go with Sylveon?"

This title has been the same since they started the whole guys in eeveelution costumes brushing their teeth thing back in january.

I think the 2 added symbols are added into the title for these segments on the show and might not have to do anything with Sylveon even.

秋山 (Akiyama) is a Japanese surname. I think it's the name of the guy who portrays Eevee and the Eeveelutions, respectively.
The sketches thus are headed "Eevee Akiyama's Friends".

Though I wonder if we will get yet another Eeveelution in the new Gen...

Back