BW/BW2 What will Dr. Araragi's American name be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimfastray

This right here is my Pretty Boy Swag
Araragi is a japanese name for a species of butterfly, but what do you think Dr. Araragi's American name will be? The Pokemon Professors from the past games have been named after types of trees. Do you think Dr. Araragi will follow this pattern?

I suggest Professor Cypress!

Ofcourse it will follow this pattern. To change it all now, Id find it stupid :L

I could see something like Beech or Cherry :L

Professor Smokin' hot. Or Professor Beehive, considering her hair. maybe Professor IceCreamCone, also considering her hair...

All of the above should be her name, but they won't be. Probably Professor Blossom, or something floral.

Zenith said:
Likely Professor Yew, given that's what her name means.

That's also a big possibility.

Zenith said:
Likely Professor Yew, given that's what her name means.

Yew in japanese is ichii as far as Google Translate knows. . .

"Araragi is a genus of butterfly in the family Lycaenidae"
-Wikipedia

Yama Araragi is also one of the Japanese names for the Kobushi Magnolia/Mountain Magnolia, if I did my research correctly. Professor Magnolia...sounds a bit more feminine than Oak, Elm, Birch, or Rowan.

Anyways, not a fan of the Butterfly theory cause every doctor up to this point have been named after somekind of plant(trees in the US), so Yama Araragi fits better than a type of Butterfly.

vaporchu8 said:
Yama Araragi is also one of the Japanese names for the Kobushi Magnolia/Mountain Magnolia, if I did my research correctly. Professor Magnolia...sounds a bit more feminine than Oak, Elm, Birch, or Rowan.

Anyways, not a fan of the Butterfly theory cause every doctor up to this point have been named after somekind of plant(trees in the US), so Yama Araragi fits better than a type of Butterfly.

Good research! I like Professor Magnolia very much, although I like the ring of Professor Cypress. From what you've researched however, I believe you've hit this on the head with Professor Magnolia. If you've seen her earrings, they are red and rectangular like magnolia seeds.

Okay more research:

Araragi is an alternative Japanese name for a yew (which is most commonly called ichi'i) which has reddish wood, especially those grown on Hokkaido. Araragi's red earrings may possibly represent the red fruit of the yew tree.

I don't like the name Professor Yew cuz it makes her sound old and it is not very pretty, but it seems that is a very good possibilty.

I don't like Yew, even though that's most likely. I'd like Professor Maple more.

dmaster out.

s2daam said:

I lol'ed a little

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net has an entry on her already and speculates either magnolia, yew, or possibly orchid.

Freindboy said:
What does Araragi mean in Japanese?

Araragi is a species of butterfly, a Japanese highland magnolia, a Japanese variety of yew tree with reddish wood, and a pre-war Japanese magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back