Which Is Better: Gold Potion vs Computer Search

RE: Gold potion vs Computer search

Computer Search is in most decks better. Landorus decks may find gold potion better.

Depends on the deck, but in most decks Computer Search would be the better choice, because it is so splashable.
It is good to help set up and can often be the card that helps you get the last card you need for a game winning combo.
Gold Potion can sometimes be better for deck that don't need so many different cards to work, or decks where it is essential to keep a heavy EX alive that in a deck that can't accelerate energy.

However I think both will drop a lot as soon as 'Junk Arm' comes back.

Most of the time you'll find Computer Search to be a much more effective and splashable card it is also less situational as it can be used at any point in the game where as Gold Potion tends to be a mid to late game card and 1 in your opening hand isn't going to find much use.

Computer Search is definitely the better card I believe. It can really be used at any point in the game. It is a great card to get with Skyla since you then can get any card in your deck. Healing 90 damage just isn't enough in some situations where the opponent can do more than 90 damage.

At this time Computer Search is better but after Plasma I'm pretty sure I will play Dowsing because i usually Comp Search for Juniper.
Computer Search is just insane because you can get ANYTHING. Need a DCE? Done. Want the Rare Candy for your Blastoise? No problem.
It's the ultimate topdeck and is just all-around good.

Computer search is better, by a pretty solid amount. It's an amazing card and does what no other card in the format can. It's a huge consistency booster all around and every deck benefits pretty significantly from its inclusion.

Gold Potion is just too meh for me. That's not to say it isn't good; it'd be a universally played card if it wasn't an ACE SPEC. It just doesn't do enough to guarantee that it'll be a useful card all of the time. I just don't see very many decks that can benefit more from a 1-time heal of 1 attack over a Trainer that can get any card for you. Sure, maybe you a void a 2HKO with some EX or other, but you can just play one of the myriad healing cards in format- potion, max potion, SSU- or any damage/HP modification cards like Eviolite, Large Cloak, and Aspertia without using your ACE SPEC. I'd only recommend this card in very straightforward decks that don't need to grab tons of cards (ex. Landorus/Terrakion EX or something) and even then it's not any better than Comp. Search. The case gets even worse for it when we get access to the amazing Dowsing Machine and Scramble Switch, which both can compete with Computer Search.

I prefer Gold Potion in my big basic decks, but in everything else I'd use CSearch. It's just an amazing card.

I prefer Computer Search in most things. If the deck I'm playing runs Sableye, I'll definitely take Gold Potion into consideration. The ability to search out any one card is just amazing. Consistency consistency consistency.

Gold Potion, by far. I already have way too much search power to even consider a Computer Search. The only drawback is if I draw it early game then it shoots me in the foot, but I would much rather have the ability to screw up my opponent's hard work with just a single card. Aw, you think you can 2HKO me? Yeah, good luck with that!

Situational? Yes.
Worth it? Heck Yes.

IMO Gold Potion is better in non-Hydregion Darkrai decks, and big basic decks. Especially in decks that don't have energy acceleration, this card can help you survive to attach one more energy to your back-up attacker.

If you're running Keldeo/Blastoise, Eels, Hydreigon, or something of the like, I think CSearch is going to be your go-to card. The difference is that they require more set up (and thus need the extra 'oomph' CSearch can give), and can manipulate energy either by acceleration or movement, making Gold Potion less useful in the aspect of saving your energy.

DNA said:
Gold Potion, by far. I already have way too much search power to even consider a Computer Search. The only drawback is if I draw it early game then it shoots me in the foot, but I would much rather have the ability to screw up my opponent's hard work with just a single card. Aw, you think you can 2HKO me? Yeah, good luck with that!

Situational? Yes.
Worth it? Heck Yes.

This right here is why I think Gold Potion gets too much flak. The ability to break up a 2HKO is highly underrated, and incredibly useful. Gold Potion also doesn't force you to discard, which some decks can't really afford. In the current deck I'm running I have GP for those two reasons alone.

Computer search is far superior. I say this because it can get you that any one card to keep you in the game, improve your options for your turn, help you setup, or win you the game. In deck like hydreigon and klinklang, it can get you a blend or prism energy which can not be search out by anything else. I find that gold potion is only helpful in Tornadus and Landorus decks and other decks that require or are built around tanking and healing.

Usually I would say Computer Search, especially in Eels and Stage 2 decks. But in Darkrai I play Gold Potion simply to break up 2HKOs. I basically negate my opponents last turn which has won me games.

venasour x said:
Usually I would say Computer Search, especially in Eels and Stage 2 decks. But in Darkrai I play Gold Potion simply to break up 2HKOs. I basically negate my opponents last turn which has won me games.

I can see your reasoning, but i prefer playing regular potion to do that so I can play computer search as my ace spec, and i then only need to play 3 ultra ball instead of 4 because of Comp search

I prefer Gold potion, although I do have computer search and the gold potion in real life, I only play the TCGO (Except when I'm at pre-releases). I like it, and gold potion saved my buns WAY too many times. Mewtwo ex gonna faint soon? Maybe a gold potions will help. I don't like the idea of discarding for 1 card. But, I never used it YET, so maybe luck will change.

Clearly you never played back when Junk Arm was legal. It was easily the best card in the format (yes better than Catcher) and you discarded 2 for a trainer from the discard. Technically we had more hand refresh back then, but people still ran around the same amount in decks so it didn't matter much.

Do you play a Stage 1 or Stage 2? Use Computer Search.

Do you play DCE? Use Computer Search.

Do you focus on attacking T1/T2? Use Computer Search

Do you play basics only, your deck needs healing and you don't use DCE? Play Gold Potion.

Dark Void said:
Clearly you never played back when Junk Arm was legal. It was easily the best card in the format (yes better than Catcher) and you discarded 2 for a trainer from the discard. Technically we had more hand refresh back then, but people still ran around the same amount in decks so it didn't matter much.

Well, I'm more of a collector than a player.

Roronoa Zoro said:
Do you play a Stage 1 or Stage 2? Use Computer Search.

Do you play DCE? Use Computer Search.

Do you focus on attacking T1/T2? Use Computer Search

Do you play basics only, your deck needs healing and you don't use any kind of special energy? Play Gold Potion.

DCE, or any other special energy; basically every deck then falls in this category, aside from maybe some Landorus/Fighting types variants.

Back