BW/BW2 Why do people hate the 5th Gen so much?

Wich Gen had the best Pokemon?

• Gen 1

Votes: 26 13.6%
  • Gen 2

Votes: 39 20.4%
  • Gen 3

Votes: 47 24.6%
  • Gen 4

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Gen 5 (By Pokemon revealed so far)

Votes: 51 26.7%

• Total voters
RE: Why do people hate so much the 5th Gen?

You know what? The Fandom is just stupid... I mean, everyone criticized gen 3 so much when it came out but now gen 3 is winning this poll...

Ya I find it funny that so many people say they hate the 5th gen so much and all the new guys and that they won't be buying it... however... I just heard Nintendo issued a press release saying that the preorders have already reached over 1 million, making them the fastest selling DS games in history, and they haven't even come out yet.

liljes said:
Ya I find it funny that so many people say they hate the 5th gen so much and all the new guys and that they won't be buying it... however... I just heard Nintendo issued a press release saying that the preorders have already reached over 1 million, making them the fastest selling DS games in history, and they haven't even come out yet.

Lol,maybe most of the people complaining about B and W pre
-ordered one...XD

Gleafeon said:
Lol,maybe most of the people complaining about B and W pre
-ordered one...XD

Lol ya I'm pretty sure everyone is going to get it anyways sooo... ya. It looks to me like the franchise is going as strong as ever even with all this hate... I mean the basic argument is:

Ewwwww!!!!! Look at that sea otter thing it has a shell on it's stomach?!?!? So complex!!!!! Too unoriginal!!!!! OMG it's so cute I hate it prtgphgpj!!!!

to be honest the new concept isn't sitting well with me, but then so did 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen and now I don't mind them, so yeah. i'm just waiting for the day when we get to see all of the 167 in pokedex order (and a good 5th gen tcg set then buy, buy, BUY....*ahem*). cya

Lol to the person who still think tabunne might not be real, anyway yeah i love a lot o things about this gen but certainly not all of them.(Looks at that sorry excuse for a crocodile pokemon)

Metalizard said:
You know what? The Fandom is just stupid... I mean, everyone criticized gen 3 so much when it came out but now gen 3 is winning this poll...

Well I didn't criticize gen 3 and I voted gen 3.

You think that maybe those that voted gen 3 didn't criticize the 3rd gen?

the third gen was one of the best....and the fourth gen's designs were all good(except for empoleon...) i just have a problem that there were too many evos in the fourth gen. and the first gen had some pretty crappy designs, compared to newer generations of poemon, people just like it better cuz of nostalgia

Somehow I feel like IV focused on evolutions too much. Heck, Rowan was researching evolutions in-game. Maybe this gen will get better looking Pokemon as it's released. They're probably just revealing the most marketable (then again, Deathkahn is just plain weird IMO, but I'm still getting it)

I really like the pokemon revealed so far, but I voted for the 3rd generation because it was my first generation and I loved all the 2nd staged-evolutions.

Playerking95 said:
Lol to the person who still think tabunne might not be real, anyway yeah i love a lot o things about this gen but certainly not all of them.(Looks at that sorry excuse for a crocodile pokemon)

What so wrong about meguroko? I for one love 5th gen's pokemon all but two hihdaruma, and the broccoli monkey. My favorite so happens meguroko is my favorite :(

Since this is turning into "post your list of favorite gens!"...

1. Gen 1/Gen 2
2. Gen 5/HG/SS
3. Platinum/Emerald
4. Gen 3(plus D/P)

Yeah yeah, nostalgiafag here. And your point? Pokemon Red has, out of every game I've ever played, had the biggest impact on me as a person. I absolutely adore the relatively simpleness. Gen 2 is tied there, because the nostalgia for that is almost as strong as my nostalgia for Gen 1, plus they were great games(at the time. nowadays...not so much).

Gen 5 is shaping up to be my #1 favorite Gen if you remove the nostalgia factor. I haven't seen a single thing I've hated yet. I'm especially pumped up for Rotation Battles....just, seeing such dynamic battles is awesome.

HG/SS got the nostalgia flowing strong, while the games themselves were a much needed improvement over not only G/S/C, but the Gen 4 games as well.

Gen 4 cause I felt they were great. Emerald I put on par with Platinum, mainly cause they each all have their high points.
The rest of Gen 3 and D/P...I just can't get into them that much. Once I've played through them, I just found myself bored.

And going onto Pokemon designs:

1. Gen 1/2/5
2. Gen 3/4

Again, nostalgia plays a role. But I find Gen 5 to be on par with 1 and 2. There's rarely been a Pokemon I've hated(just Broccolimon), and they all look great. Gen 3 and 4 I liked, but felt that several were lacking.

So yeah, completely ignored the question. I don't hate Gen 5 and, in fact, think it is the best thing to happen to this series in a while.

Based on the pokemon designs, my favorite gens are:
V, II
III
I
IV.
Based on the games themselves,

III, V
II
I
IV

pokemon designs
1. gen3 (salamence, flygon, starters, mudkip)
2. gen2 and 5 (all legends kingdra skarmory)
3. gen1 (cant mess with the originals)
4 gen4 (only like some old evos and staraptor)

game play
1. gen2 (best remake)
2. gen3 (started with so its like gen1 for me)
3. gen1 (original was sweet wwhen i got it)
4 gen4 (liked the co op)

Say what you want, gen 3 had the best pokemon.

Gen 1 had the worst.

They all have flaws of something that can do their job better: Sp. sweeper: Alakazam. Porygon-Z has the same sp.Atk and fewer weaknesses and also a much better movepool.

They're just going to keep replacing old pokes with better versions.

since this has now turned into a "list your favorite generation's pokemon design threads":
1. gen2/3=tied
2. gen4
3.gen 5=because weve only seen like 30 pokemon and i absoultely hate tabunne, and i think miujmaur would look so much better if it didnt have the stupid clown nose and freckles
4. gen1=im not saying that gen1 was terrible, just not as good as the others.(charizard is epic)

Ok, first of all, BananaCorn, I don't think anyone in this thread is talking about the Pokemon in terms of competitive battling like you just did. We are talking about their designs. Otherwise this thread would be in the competitive battling section of the forums. Of course the new ones are going to have better moves and stats then the old ones, but that is irrelevant to this discussion.

ANYWAYS.

I don't get why alot of people in this thread keep saying "everyone just likes the 1st gen because of nostalgia". The first gen is my favorite but NOT because of nostalgia, but because it has Hypno, my number one fav, as well as other major favorites of mine. And there's plenty of 1st gen Pokemon I've hated since the very beginning (Rattata line, Jigglypuff, Dragonite, Mr Mime, Ponyta line, and others) And I loved gen 3 and 5 right from the start. It's just gen 4 I hate.

I agree with whoever on here said that most of the 4th gen monsters look like they were designed by 6 year olds. Seriously, most of them do. A cutesy wutesy widdwe bunny, beaver, squirrel (vomits), penguin, monkey, skunk, weasel with floaties (so the little babies can relate), a totally wasted lion design, and a whole slow of generic, uninspired plants and fish. Awww, look at the cutesy wutesy widdwe flowers and fishie wishies that are weak and uneccesarry filler ^-^ /sarcarsm Seriously, gen 4 was basically "Cute Widdwe Mammal Petting Zoo"/"My Aquarium"/"Baby's First Garden", with a bunch of lame old stragglers from the past gens, with only a handful of new GOOD designs.

Yeah, there were some cool and unique ones like Bronzong, Rotom formes, Drifloon line, the legendaries (not that pitiful little elf trio though), Beequeen, Torterra, Skorupi line, Gible line, Snover line, and most of the past gen evolutions, except for undeserving garbage like Ambipom and Lickylicky, and horribly wasted designs that could have been awesome, like Honchkrow (vomits again) But all the good evolutions were only available post-national dex anyways.

Gen 5 on the other hand has stuff like a dark land crocodile, an egyptian sarcophagus with ghostly hands, living gears, a weird cell homunculus thingie, a psychic goth femme, an electric tarantula, a mole with huge claws, huge-tusked dragons, a native american-inspired eagle, and an evil monster fox! And this is just the pre-release stuff!

Like them or hate them, no one can argue that MOST, not all, of the 5th gen designs so far are way more original and unique then the Gen 4 crap. I mean yeah, its got its share of generic crap like the regional rodents, regional birds, a "cute widdwe" baby deer, a dumpy electric zebra, a flamin' hog, a "cute widdwe" chinchilla, another stupid squirrel, and that infernal broccoli monkey. But even they aren't as bad as the 4th gen stuff. The regional rodents at least have cool eyes and the body glowing thing, Mamepaato isn't nearly as stupid looking as Starly, Emonga dosen't look nearly as horrible as Pachirisu, and the deer changes types each season.

Even the broccoli monkey is at least semi-original, in concept only. Loses mega originality points for being a simian, there are already 8 of those aready, and they are all horrible designs. Well, at least Hihidaruma and Infernape are based on other things and gain SOME originality points (being based on a daruma doll and the Son Goku legend, respecitvely)

Tarazuma said:
Ok, first of all, BananaCorn, I don't think anyone in this thread is talking about the Pokemon in terms of competitive battling like you just did. We are talking about their designs. Otherwise this thread would be in the competitive battling section of the forums. Of course the new ones are going to have better moves and stats then the old ones, but that is irrelevant to this discussion.

ANYWAYS.

I don't get why alot of people in this thread keep saying "everyone just likes the 1st gen because of nostalgia". The first gen is my favorite but NOT because of nostalgia, but because it has Hypno, my number one favorite, as well as other major favorites of mine. And there's plenty of 1st gen Pokemon I've hated since the very beginning (Rattata line, Jigglypuff, Dragonite, Mr Mime, Ponyta line, and others) And I loved gen 3 and 5 right from the start. It's just gen 4 I hate.

I agree with whoever on here said that most of the 4th gen monsters look like they were designed by 6 year olds. Seriously, most of them do. A cutesy wutesy widdwe bunny, beaver, squirrel (vomits), penguin, monkey, skunk, weasel with floaties (so the little babies can relate), a totally wasted lion design, and a whole slow of generic, uninspired plants and fish. Awww, look at the cutesy wutesy widdwe flowers and fishie wishies that are weak and uneccesarry filler ^-^ /sarcarsm Seriously, gen 4 was basically "Cute Widdwe Mammal Petting Zoo"/"My Aquarium"/"Baby's First Garden", with a bunch of lame old stragglers from the past gens, with only a handful of new GOOD designs.

Yeah, there were some cool and unique ones like Bronzong, Rotom formes, Drifloon line, the legendaries (not that pitiful little elf trio though), Beequeen, Torterra, Skorupi line, Gible line, Snover line, and most of the past gen evolutions, except for undeserving garbage like Ambipom and Lickylicky, and horribly wasted designs that could have been awesome, like Honchkrow (vomits again) But all the good evolutions were only available post-national dex anyways.

Gen 5 on the other hand has stuff like a dark land crocodile, an egyptian sarcophagus with ghostly hands, living gears, a weird cell homunculus thingie, a psychic goth femme, an electric tarantula, a mole with huge claws, huge-tusked dragons, a native american-inspired eagle, and an evil monster fox! And this is just the pre-release stuff!

Like them or hate them, no one can argue that MOST, not all, of the 5th gen designs so far are way more original and unique then the Gen 4 crud. I mean yeah, its got its share of generic crud like the regional rodents, regional birds, a "cute widdwe" baby deer, a dumpy electric zebra, a flamin' hog, a "cute widdwe" chinchilla, another stupid squirrel, and that infernal broccoli monkey. But even they aren't as bad as the 4th gen stuff. The regional rodents at least have cool eyes and the body glowing thing, Mamepaato isn't nearly as stupid looking as Starly, Emonga dosen't look nearly as horrible as Pachirisu, and the deer changes types each season.

Even the broccoli monkey is at least semi-original, in concept only. Loses mega originality points for being a simian, there are already 8 of those aready, and they are all horrible designs. Well, at least Hihidaruma and Infernape are based on other things and gain SOME originality points (being based on a daruma doll and the Son Goku legend, respecitvely)

Um, aren't squirrels cute in real life though? And how are Rotom's formes unique? A fridge, oven, lawn mower, washing machine and fan? And as far as I'm concerned, you should compare Mamepato and Starly beside each other. They look nearly the same. The deer also looks cutesy, so your logic is slightly contradicting.

@ tarazuma, the zebra needs an awesome evo!
and im i correct that the reason you didnt play dp was because you didnt like some of the new pokemon?
i hate tabunne, and think that mijumaru could have been done much better without the friggin roudolph the rednosed friend nose and the nerdy freckles, but that wont stop me from playing it. the first gen had some poor designs, too
other than that i agree with you completely with which gen4 mons were good and bad looking
edit: and @ the guy above me, starly and the pidgeon are very similar looking, but the pidgeon looks slightly better because it doesnt have derpy eyes and face and carrot shaped nose.(staraptor made up for it by being epic)

liljes said:
Um, aren't squirrels cute in real life though? And how are Rotom's formes unique? A fridge, oven, lawn mower, washing machine and fan? And as far as I'm concerned, you should compare Mamepato and Starly beside each other. They look nearly the same.

No, I do not find squirrels cute in real life. They are rodents. I don't hate real squirrels, but I also don't care about them. However, any type of rodent based fictional creatures disgust me, especially squirrel ones.

Rotom's formes are unique because of the whole concept behind Rotom and his formes. A ghost obsessed with electronics to the point where he morphs himself into various human inventions. When exactly has that been done before? That's totally unique! Do you see what I mean? It's not the refrigerator and fan that's unique, it's the fact that it's a ghost turning itself into these things and changing type along with it.

And no, Mamepato looks like a real life pigeon. Generic yes, but not nearly as goofy looking as the Starly line. That's just my opinion anyways. They are both just as generic and boring as Pidgey in the end. I just hate Starly and it's evolutions the most.

Oh and Shadow Arceus, the reason I skipped 4th gen is because there weren't any Pokemon I liked enough to form a team. I was not going through the game with a bunch of horrible Pokemon, and be only able to unlock the good ones AFTER the Elite 4 and seeing all the horrible monsters in the Sinnoh dex, which was required to get the National Dex. There was nothing left to do then, since I don't do competitive battling or breeding.

Back