Will they ever make dragon-type cards for pseudo-dragon Pokemon like Charziard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seismitoad537

Pokemon Master
Will they ever make psuedo-dragon type pokemon (Charizard, Gyarados, Miltoic, Tyranitar..etc.) into dragon-type Pokemon cards? If so, how would you react? They've already made electric Charmanders and cards like that....so maybe it's a possibility.

I personally doubt it, as you yourself already stated they are not Dragon type themselves, and therefore I see no reason to make them this type in the tcg either. I highly doubt they will ever make a Colourless (Flying type) Charizard for example (same goes for Gyarados as another example), with the possible exception of another ''Holon'' type of trend. But when factoring in these situations, I suppose we can never rule out anything, can we?

If we get another Delta Species set, any type combination would be possible. Outside of that, though, this won't happen.

Simply put, no. There's a reason only three non-Delta Species, non-Dark, non-evil team's Pokemon have been depicted with an off-type. (One of them hardly matters, as it's still the same TCG type.) <Lugia, Seel and Torkoal, if anyone was curious.> And they don't often utilize a differing secondary type in evolutionary lines, so a Colorless Charizard is equally unlikely. (It wouldn't make sense for a Fire Charmeleon to evolve into a Colorless Charizard when Charizard is also a Fire-Type, and more frequently displays those traits.) The only times it tends to happen are when the new secondary type is a key difference between them. (Such as with Shedinja, Gallade or Scizor.) Charizard's always been depicted as primarily a Fire-Type, it rarely shows off its Flying traits beyond basic flight abilities.

Besides, we're yet to get Dragon-Type Reshiram, Zekrom or Arceus cards, so they haven't even exhausted all the possibilities yet.

And no, I don't believe Lugia opens the door for similarity-based types. I've always felt that Lugia was always meant to be a Water-Type and they simply gave it the wrong typing in Gold/Silver. Lugia has had more Colorless cards than Psychic-Type ones, the only Flying-Type that isn't part Dragon or Normal to do be that way, and hasn't had a Psychic-Type card at ALL since the EX era.

RiverShock said:
Simply put, no. There's a reason only three non-Delta Species, non-Dark, non-evil team's Pokemon have been depicted with an off-type. (One of them hardly matters, as it's still the same TCG type.) <Lugia, Seel and Torkoal, if anyone was curious.> And they don't often utilize a differing secondary type in evolutionary lines, so a Colorless Charizard is equally unlikely. (It wouldn't make sense for a Fire Charmeleon to evolve into a Colorless Charizard when Charizard is also a Fire-Type, and more frequently displays those traits.) The only times it tends to happen are when the new secondary type is a key difference between them. (Such as with Shedinja, Gallade or Scizor.) Charizard's always been depicted as primarily a Fire-Type, it rarely shows off its Flying traits beyond basic flight abilities.

Besides, we're yet to get Dragon-Type Reshiram, Zekrom or Arceus cards, so they haven't even exhausted all the possibilities yet.

And no, I don't believe Lugia opens the door for similarity-based types. I've always felt that Lugia was always meant to be a Water-Type and they simply gave it the wrong typing in Gold/Silver. Lugia has had more Colorless cards than Psychic-Type ones, the only Flying-Type that isn't part Dragon or Normal to do be that way, and hasn't had a Psychic-Type card at ALL since the EX era.

What about the fire Mew, water Togetic, and electric Charmander as well as many more?

Seel was still a Water-type card. However it had Metal weakness which... lol. But if Seel would count then all sorts of silly things would, like Base Set Gyarados being weak to Grass.

Seismitoad537 said:
What about the fire Mew, water Togetic, and electric Charmander as well as many more?

Those are all a special type of card called "Delta Species". Read the link for more info, but basically, it was a special mechanic used in a few different sets in the EX era. It's possible that we could get Delta Species or similar card gimmicks again, and if that's the case we could get a dragon Mudkip or any other Pokémon; it has nothing to do with being similar to a type or anything.

Well, Lugia has been printed as Water type, even though it is Psychic and Flying type.
I guess anything is possible, and I like to keep an open mind.

With the exception of Lugia, Ho-Oh, and the Delta Species, the TCG has remained fairly true to the video game on what types Pokemon are standardly printed as. Each color corresponds standardly to up to 3 types in the VG, and it's remained that way for a while. (I know Fighting and Psychic are each 3, but correct me if I'm wrong and there's 1 color with 4 types.)

So I doubt this will happen, since the TCG goes by types, not egg groups.

Now give me Dragon-type Whiscash and Scrafty.

Unless there's a return of a Delta Species-like gimmick, I doubt it. The only reason Lugia has been represented as a Water-type is due to its affinity with the seas and to provide a better contrast with the Fire-type Ho-oh.

DNA said:
(I know Fighting and Psychic are each 3, but correct me if I'm wrong and there's 1 color with 4 types.)

Nope...those two colors are the only ones that encompass three types, but no color uses four types. :)

What I really want to see is a Psychic Typhlosion and a Lightning Feraligatr. All I need is some "trees, dirt and gumption" if you know what I mean, wink wink.

DNA said:
With the exception of Lugia, Ho-Oh, and the Delta Species, the TCG has remained fairly true to the video game on what types Pokemon are standardly printed as. Each color corresponds standardly to up to 3 types in the VG, and it's remained that way for a while. (I know Fighting and Psychic are each 3, but correct me if I'm wrong and there's 1 color with 4 types.)

So I doubt this will happen, since the TCG goes by types, not egg groups.

Now give me Dragon-type Whiscash and Scrafty.

I said psuedo dragons not te dragon egg group

signofzeta said:
What I really want to see is a Psychic Typhlosion and a Lightning Feraligatr. All I need is some "trees, dirt and gumption" if you know what I mean, wink wink.

They have a lightning feraligator! It's pretty good

@signofzeta: I don't know what you mean but you're familiar with Typhlosion delta and Feraligatr delta, aren't you? (Just to be sure)...

Metalizard said:
@signofzeta: I don't know what you mean but you're familiar with Typhlosion delta and Feraligatr delta, aren't you? (Just to be sure)...

psst, "TO THE TIME MACHINE.. AH" Anyone? "Trees, Dirt, and Gumption"? Anyone? Nobody watches or watched SNL around here?

No I don't think so but I would welcome a Delta Species like set, probably to extend BW by a bit more. I think alot of Delta Species pokemon got types that were strong against their original types weakness( Lightning Charizard for example.)

That is less important in this era, however. Colorless attacks, for example, are a lot more widespread and more useful now than before. Cards like Zoroark (the Foul Play one), Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Mewtwo EX, etc. cover a LOT of types and can use colorless energy. And we also have Prism and Blend Energy to facilitate much more specific cards. Simply put, varying the types offensively like that isn't actually necessary anymore. It's varying WEAKNESSES that would be welcome, particularly for Lightning and Fire who have little opportunity for dual-type variances.

I'd like a set in wich Pokémon would have types that they don't have, but look like, as a Dragon Charizard. In Delta Species, some of those retypings makes sense, like Latias ex getting the Fire type, and Shining Pokémon getting types that matched their color. But come on, Fire/Lightning Mewtwo? BS.

If that happens someday, I'd love to see Dragon Ampharos and Thundurus-T.

RiverShock said:
That is less important in this era, however. Colorless attacks, for example, are a lot more widespread and more useful now than before. Cards like Zoroark (the Foul Play one), Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Mewtwo EX, etc. cover a LOT of types and can use colorless energy. And we also have Prism and Blend Energy to facilitate much more specific cards. Simply put, varying the types offensively like that isn't actually necessary anymore. It's varying WEAKNESSES that would be welcome, particularly for Lightning and Fire who have little opportunity for dual-type variances.

Back in the Ex days we had DRE and Scramble Energy. Not to mention Holon 'Trode, 'Ton, and Casty. To say that you can attack with the same few cards due to them using colorless energy and yet completely ignore how freely energy was flowing back in those days is wrong. Sure you can use some of the attacks of these Pokemon with just a DCE or a couple of energy, but I used to be able to build entire decks that centered around DRE that barely had a type in common.

I never really liked how the TCG never experimented with changing types to secondary typings and different weaknesses and resistances. Why not try a colorless Zubat line? Perhaps with a Psychic weakness and a Grass resistance?

As for the original question; probably not. Unless they come up with a new mechanic then I doubt they'd be changing up types any time soon. In fact the TCG hasn't done anything unique with the Pokemon in ages. The only thing they've seemed to be pressing the line with are trainer cards.

In fact I don't even fully understand the point to making Dragon-type cards anyways, other than to make sure that they weren't getting hit for super effective damage by Normal types. But then again there are Mewtwo's getting hit for weakness by Muk's in the TCG so that doesn't really make much sense either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back