XY X / Y Box Art Subtly Reveals Legendaries Typing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: X/Y Box Art & Legendaries typing

I do believe I have mentioned in another thread already, but since this one is specifically about the box art:

Has anyone noticed the boxes say Pokemon X/Y and not Pokemon X/Y VERSION?
This is the first time in pokemon history that this happened. Don't know if it means anything though...

As for the typing: Xerneas --> Psychic/Steel
Yveltal --> Dark/Flying

Love the new box arts! Too bad I don't own a Nintendo 3DS...

KVE493 said:
I do believe I have mentioned in another thread already, but since this one is specifically about the box art:

Has anyone noticed the boxes say Pokemon X/Y and not Pokemon X/Y VERSION?
This is the first time in pokemon history that this happened. Don't know if it means anything though...

They might add "Version" on them later; it's still early and they have room to change things. Or, they might just be trying to keep them closer to the Japanese boxarts this time around.

If you go now to the official web of pokemon X and Y
on the right side of the page there is an animation of a black smoke rolling around the page right where the clouds of Yveltal

seems dark to me

scattered mind said:
If you go now to the official web of pokemon X and Y
on the right side of the page there is an animation of a black smoke rolling around the page right where the clouds of Yveltal

seems dark to me

That would imply ghost more than dark...

I have to say that the box art is awesome. It's just so.. I don't know the word. They just fit so well.

My ideas on legendary types:
Xerneas:
-Fairy/Grass - it being a 'fairy king of the forests' of some kind
-Grass/Psychic - if it isn't Fairy then Psychic seems to be the next best fit
-Psychic/Electric - I only put this type here because I love this typing and it seems to fit Xerneas well.

Yveltal:
-Dark/Flying - this seems one of the most likely; Yveltal screamt Dark type to me when I first saw it in the trailer
-Fighting/Flying - only because its the only dual type involving Flying not yet seen (plus its a badass type anyway)
-Poison/Flying - it looks very unnatural and like it could poison things (I personally would rather that it isn't Poison though)

another idea, could Xern/Yvel be the first gender-exclusive legendary mascot Pokemon we see, what with the X/Y and chromosomes and DNA being rumoured to be important to the storyline? I dunno which would be male or female, since they both look like they could go either way. At first glance I'd imagine Xern to be male, being the Fairy king. Yveltal looks like it could be female. Contrarily, Xern could be a Fairy Queen, and Yveltal looks like it could be male.

P.DelSlayer said:
I have to say that the box art is awesome. It's just so.. I don't know the word. They just fit so well.

Xerneas:
-Psychic/Electric - I only put this type here because I love this typing and it seems to fit Xerneas well.

Yveltal:
-Dark/Flying - this seems one of the most likely; Yveltal screamt Dark type to me when I first saw it in the trailer
-Fighting/Flying - only because its the only dual type involving Flying not yet seen (plus its a badass type anyway)
-Poison/Flying - it looks very unnatural and like it could poison things (I personally would rather that it isn't Poison though)

another idea, could Xern/Yvel be the first gender-exclusive legendary mascot Pokemon we see, what with the X/Y and chromosomes and DNA being rumoured to be important to the storyline? I dunno which would be male or female, since they both look like they could go either way. At first glance I'd imagine Xern to be male, being the Fairy king. Yveltal looks like it could be female. Contrarily, Xern could be a Fairy Queen, and Yveltal looks like it could be male.
If they do have genders, I would say:
Xern=Female, due to it being exclusive to X version and representing the X chromosome, which females have 2 of.
Yvel=Male, due to the fact that the Y chromosome is exclusive to males and Yvel is exclusove to Y version is is made to look a Y (real Y chromosomes don't actually look like Y's, but you get the idea)
Also, how is Xern grass? Because it lives in a forest?

CyberCat5555 said:

For me it makes sense in the way that Grass is the best candidate to represent some kind of life-force or mother nature etc...assuming Xerneas has anything to do with such concepts of course.

RE: X/Y Box Art Subtly Reveals Legendaries Typing?

DNA =/= chromosomes. The games being called X and Y have nothing to with it. Those, including a possible Z, are the nothing more than the last three letters of the alphabet. X and Y chromosomes do exist, but so do W chromosomes, and chromosomes 14 and 21. And please do not brag about XX and XY, you would not expect an X0 version, or a ZW version either, would you? An X alone does not make Xerneas female, neither does the Y make Yveltal male. You cannot just substract an X chromosome and call it a day.

X chromosomes do not look like X's, nor do Y chromosomes look like Y's.

Is there anything more to add? We have seen just one DNA logo in the titles and on a bracelet, but we have not seen anything that can properly relate to it. As said many times, not everything has to be based on that single DNA logo. If you really want to discuss something that could relate to it, do it, however do not start about chromosomes again. Discuss Pokémon fusion if you really want to, at least that is something GameFreak could come up with.

Pokequaza said:
DNA =/= chromosomes. The games being called X and Y have nothing to with it. Those, including a possible Z, are the nothing more than the last three letters of the alphabet. X and Y chromosomes do exist, but so do W chromosomes, and chromosomes 14 and 21. And please do not brag about XX and XY, you would not expect an X0 version, or a ZW version either, would you? An X alone does not make Xerneas female, neither does the Y make Yveltal male. You cannot just substract an X chromosome and call it a day.

X chromosomes do not look like X's, nor do Y chromosomes look like Y's.

Is there anything more to add? We have seen just one DNA logo in the titles and on a bracelet, but we have not seen anything that can properly relate to it. As said many times, not everything has to be based on that single DNA logo. If you really want to discuss something that could relate to it, do it, however do not start about chromosomes again. Discuss Pokémon fusion if you really want to, at least that is something GameFreak could come up with.

Well actually a chromosome is an organised structure of DNA and proteins, so whilst they not be identical, chromosomes are comprised of DNA.
Sometimes chromosomes do take the shape of an x
But other than that i agree, the name doesn't have to mean very much at all. Take platinum for example, there was nothing to do with the metal.

P.DelSlayer said:

Xerneas:

Yveltal:

I agree with the first two of those Xerneas theories, but the third seems very unlikely. I like the first and third yveltal theories, but for seem reason fighting doesn't seem to fit.

leecario said:
But other than that i agree, the name doesn't have to mean very much at all. Take platinum for example, there was nothing to do with the metal.

That is a very good point.

I would disagree simply because it seems odd to go to X and Y when we haven't used up all of the colours, metals and stones.

Mitja said:
CyberCat5555 said:

For me it makes sense in the way that Grass is the best candidate to represent some kind of life-force or mother nature etc...assuming Xerneas has anything to do with such concepts of course.
A mother nature or life force theory? I haven't heard that one yet. Can you explain please? Also, electric somewhat makes sense with that theory, because all living things have electricity in them, and it is vital for them to survive. Also because Xern doesn't look anything like a grass (or water) type. So grass/electric type? That's interesting, I haven't thought of that yet.

Yes, I know it lives in a forest, but a Pokemon's habitat sometimes has nothing to do with its type, look at Lugia for example, lives on the bottom of the ocean but is a flying/psychic type. I still firmly believe that the DNA theory is more likely, mostly due to all the official stuff supporting it (Japanese logos, watch-thing on the protagonists, etc...)

DrEspeon said:
leecario said:

I would disagree simply because it seems odd to go to X and Y when we haven't used up all of the colours, metals and stones.
I think they are using X and Y instead of a color or metal or stone because GF wants the title to be more relevant to the plot, I know gen5 had Black and White, both colors, but it also makes sense because the colors are direct opposites, to show the contrast between Pokemon and humans, and how N wanted a "Black and White" world, with humans and Pokemon separated. Like I said, DNA seems to be quite important to the plot, which is why the games are called X and Y.

leecario said:
Well actually a chromosome is an organised structure of DNA and proteins, so whilst they not be identical, chromosomes are comprised of DNA.
Sometimes chromosomes do take the shape of an x

Chromosomes look nothing more than a blob of spaghetti in real life, and are only duplicated just before cell replication.

CyberCat5555 said:
A mother nature or life force theory? I haven't heard that one yet. Can you explain please? Also, electric somewhat makes sense with that theory, because all living things have electricity in them, and it is vital for them to survive.

Organisms also contain minerals, water, and heat; I guess it will be Grass/Electric/Rock/Water/Fire then. So TheY wilL introduze mUltiplee typez!

CyberCat5555 said:
DrEspeon said:

I think they are using X and Y instead of a color or metal or stone because GF wants the title to be more relevant to the plot, I know gen5 had Black and White, both colors, but it also makes sense because the colors are direct opposites, to show the contrast between Pokemon and humans, and how N wanted a "Black and White" world, with humans and Pokemon separated. Like I said, DNA seems to be quite important to the plot, which is why the games are called X and Y.

GameFreak switched over to gemstones before they used up all the colours. It just a matter of convenience, because Pokémon Brown does not really pleasing. I do not think they have to restrict themselves to colours and minerals alone, they can use whatever they want, in this case letters.

The letters X and Y have nothing to do with DNA..

Pokequaza said:
CyberCat5555 said:
Also, electric somewhat makes sense with that theory, because all living things have electricity in them, and it is vital for them to survive.

Organisms also contain minerals, water, and heat; I guess it will be Grass/Electric/Rock/Water/Fire then. So TheY wilL introduze mUltiplee typez!

hahah

as funny as that sounds tho, I've considered something similar.
What if the 4 colors represented different elements?
And it would have a secondary type that changes every turn between
Normal/Electric
Normal/Fire
Normal/Psychic
Normal/Water

I know it won't happen, but it would be interesting.

Pokequaza said:
CyberCat5555 said:

GameFreak switched over to gemstones before they used up all the colours. It just a matter of convenience, because Pokémon Brown does not really pleasing. I do not think they have to restrict themselves to colours and minerals alone, they can use whatever they want, in this case letters.

If the letters have nothing to do with DNA, then how come the Japanese logos have a DNA helix in them? Did the graphic designer just say to his friend "Hey, do you know what would be funny? If we put a helix in the Japanese logos even if DNA has no relevance to the plot at all? The fans will be arguing over it forever! Trololo!"
If the actually represented something else, then this will be the last generation of Pokemon, with is highly unlikely, or the axis theory, but I don't see how you can make an interesting plot based of directions of up and down and left and right.

CyberCat5555 said:
Pokequaza said:

If the letters have nothing to do with DNA, then how come the Japanese logos have a DNA helix in them? Did the graphic designer just say to his friend "Hey, do you know what would be funny? If we put a helix in the Japanese logos even if DNA has no relevance to the plot at all? The fans will be arguing over it forever! Trololo!"
If the actually represented something else, then this will be the last generation of Pokemon, with is highly unlikely, or the axis theory, but I don't see how you can make an interesting plot based of directions of up and down and left and right.

How did they make an interesting plot based on rubies and sapphires? They did not. They represented the colours of the legendaries, just like the X and Y represent the shapes of the new legendaries. The names have little to do with the actual games.

There could be some DNA related thing contained within the game, but since we have absolutely no idea of what will be in the actual games, it is really pointless to argue that everything has to relate to that DNA logo. Also, if these logos where of such an importance, why did they remove them from the English logos?

the DNA was removed from the logo but still exist on the player's " watch"

As much as I love the box art, I'm honestly I'm not sure how much it actually reveals; the box art merely reiterates the locations the legendaries were found in the trailer. I suppose you could argue something about X having a lighter background than the darker background found on the Y cover, but I don't think any of us assumed Xerneas was "darker" than Yveltal.

That being said, I do agree that the types are likely some combination of Fairy (if the rumors prove be be true), Grass and/or Psychic for Xerneas and Dark/Flying for Yveltal. Then again, GF has surprised me in the past, so...

scattered mind said:
the DNA was removed from the logo but still exist on the player's " watch"

The DNA never existed on the English logo, but can be found on the Japanese one- which is where people see it and then proceed to bring it up.

Pokequaza said:
CyberCat5555 said:

How did they make an interesting plot based on rubies and sapphires? They did not. They represented the colours of the legendaries, just like the X and Y represent the shapes of the new legendaries. The names have little to do with the actual games.

There could be some DNA related thing contained within the game, but since we have absolutely no idea of what will be in the actual games, it is really pointless to argue that everything has to relate to that DNA logo. Also, if these logos where of such an importance, why did they remove them from the English logos?

In all honesty though, Ruby and Sapphire were meant to represent Groudon and Kyogre (land and sea). So in a sense, the colors of the stones were still relevant to the plot (the legendaries and the two antagonistic teams). Also it wasn't as if Ruby and Sapphire had as extensive and deep plots compared to Black and White and (BW2) and now X and Y. What I am taking out of this conversation is that the choice of "X and Y" may have MULTIPLE reasonings, one being DNA, another being the shape of the Legendary Pokémon, yet another about the 3D concept. Another for the Yggdrassil theory. DNA does seem to be a big part of Pokémon ever since Black and White (mostly their sequels though). However, we cannot dismiss GF's choice for being arbitrary. There has been a lot of planning and I think that these letters will become more apparently important as time goes on. The only thing I see as slightly unimportant is the color of X and Y which reflect the legendary Pokémon and also pay homage to Red and Blue version. In a way, I feel that GF is trying to use these colors to say "Yeah, it's still the Pokémon you loved for ten years, but now it's deeper, more complex and we have changed things to make the experience better." :)

But that's just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back