Yanmega.... how to counter?

dmaster said:
The only thing that screams out to me is Yanmega itself. If you can get the jump on an opponent's Yanma, you snipe 40 with Linear Attack and then you can knock it out with Sonicboom next turn. Electric attackers are ok with Magnezone being the best, but Zekrom is just so frail that it will end up being revenge KO'ed the next turn anyway.

dmaster out.

just running yanmega to counter yanmega isn't good for rogue players and it doesn't really solve the problem....it's like running sableye to counter sableye...after a while everybody will get tired of it and move on from pokemon.

anybody ever think of pachirisu with a plus power? yup there you go. or any stage 1 lightning pokemon with enough turns to build up the energy. or just build up energy on zekrom then bolt strike and suddenly outrage is built up for enough damage for OHKO's. if they damage you, you outrage knock them out. they wait, then they'll still need 20 more damage than their max to take you out after you bolt strike their first yanmega (40+70=110 +20 = 130 = zekrom's hp [...they'll need black belt or 2 plus powers to KO])

other than that, pretty much all of the top tier decks hit hard enough to OHKO a 110 hp pokemon anyway as previously stated. heck, even blastoise could do it with a plus power.

so you say "oh, but yanmega decks have techs in them" well, catcher's coming out soon, so just catcher up something with a high retreat like everyone else is doing so you can stall until you evolve/energize your pokemon. in the meantime try to keep your hand count completely different from theirs. so for them to get you, they'd need both a switch and a copycat/judge in their hand to attack with yanmega next turn. maybe like half the time they could get that.

Would Lanturn Prime be a good counter against Yanmega Prime?
It only needs 2 energies to setup with a DCE so it could work I guess...

Yeah, really, the only easy counter to Yanmega is Yanmega. If you set up faster, you've countered it. This is not a solution for rogue players as previously stated, but it's the raider one around.

Ty W said:
This is not a thread about reshiplosion, so i belive that YOU are in the wrong section.

Anyways, how are you going to get the 40 damage on the zekrom?

Zekrom puts 40 on itself

Darkvoid57 said:
Yeah, really, the only easy counter to Yanmega is Yanmega. If you set up faster, you've countered it. This is not a solution for rogue players as previously stated, but it's the raider one around.

But how can you counter against Yanmega with a Yanmega when it's the most expensive card in the format? I blame Collector's Cache and Troll and Toad on that one, greedy scumbags...

Well, what about lux gl x? Lol. That was the most expensive card last format and there was a counter to it

Yeah but this time it's different, Yanmega is weak to Electric not Fighting like
Luxray GL Lv. X and the only good Electric Pokemon that can counter Yanmega is probably Lanturn and Magnezone while Zekrom just gets Revenge KO'ed easily. Eelektrik has a chance with it's Ability doing 100 but it's still 10 damage shy of a KO.

I hate to say it but I think Lanturn can get Revenged KO'ed easily by
Yanmega as well too since it only has 110 HP, 100 If you attach a Rainbow to it and it only takes 2 hits with the help of Copycat/Judge for Yanmega to 2HKO Pokemon for no attack costs whatsoever cause of Insight.

If that doesn't tell you that Yanmega Prime is the most broken Stage 1 Pokemon
in HGSS-On then I don't know what does...

Any good ZPS destroys Yanmega/Kingdra/Jirachi IMO, Jirahci is useless and both Yanmega and Kingdra are weak to Lightning. For MegaZone, your best bet is to run any variant of Reshiram or just run MegaZone yourself. Too bad this is one of the only things Zoroark can't counter. :(

I think people will actually have good chances running ZPS at worlds. especially if they have plus powers and junk arms. that extra 10 damage will take out reshirams and zekroms and all that stuff as you all know. but as far as yanmega prime, after that first turn bolt strike for a quick KO, your outrage is charged for T2 OHKO of yanmega primes while it would take them two turns AFTER evolving to take out zekrom even if it bolt striked itself. that means at least T3 before getting one KO unless you get 2 plus powers as well, while ZPS is getting a KO per turn starting from turn one. even if it's a bad start, with the weaknesses it's still got a good mid- to late-game. still takes two hits for yanmega to take out a damage-less zekrom and in the mean time you can attach the energies slowly even. and as I said before, pachirisu with a plus power can OHKO yanmega. add in a torkoal tech for the chance to burn for more damage or mainly to make kingdra techs useless attacking-wise and you're golden.

I honestly think ZPS to yanmega is this format's spiritomb to sabledonk.

Sure ZPS counters kingdra/yanmega/jirachi and can knock out a yanmega, but zps loses to magnezone yanmega and zoroark/donphan/yanmega which will be the two most popular decks by far at worlds. ZPS is a good deck, but it just isn't a good choice for this format IMO.

I say just play yanmega yourself and let your opponent figure out how to counter it. It's just too fast to counter.

#1weavile said:
I say just play yanmega yourself and let your opponent figure out how to counter it. It's just too fast to counter.
"Too fast" is non-existant in this format, perhaps a lucky ZPS is "too fast" due to T1 setup if lucky. T2 is not too fast then again.

Zhaituki said:
"Too fast" is non-existant in this format, perhaps a lucky ZPS is "too fast" due to T1 setup if lucky. T2 is not too fast then again.

It's a stage 1 that can evolve on the second turn and can snipe or do 70 for no energy. In this format, that's fast!

#1weavile said:
It's a stage 1 that can evolve on the second turn and can snipe or do 70 for no energy. In this format, that's fast!

My god, just 70? :O Reshiram can do 120 T2 fairly often too. There's others too that can hit hard T2.

No, it can't hit for 120 t2 very often. First, you need to get 3 energy into your opening hand. Unless you are running 25 or something that is not happening often. Then you need collector/lucky dual ball flips, to have started with reshiram or a free retreater, a rare candy (which you have the same chance of getting out as that catcher you think you'll never see) and two evolutions. The chances of all of that on t2 is poor. Especially with the opponent judging you. Possible, yes. Often enough that you have speed equaling zps, no way. ZPS is the fastest deck in the format. Typhloram, while being a fine deck that can occasionally set up t2 or t3, is not the fastest deck in the format. It isn't even second fastest, stage 1 decks with donphan and yanmega, which are good contenders due to decent power very fast.

For yanmega to attack turn 2, you need a yanma and a yanmega. Both are searchable. For reshiram to attack turn 2, you need reshiram, cyndaquill, rare candy, typhlosion, 3 energy, and a way to get the two energies in the discard pile. You also need a cyndaquill and a reshiram with an energy on your first turn. Tell me, which of these seems more probable?

Ty W said:
For yanmega to attack turn 2, you need a yanma and a yanmega. Both are searchable. For reshiram to attack turn 2, you need reshiram, cyndaquill, rare candy, typhlosion, 3 energy, and a way to get the two energies in the discard pile. You also need a cyndaquill and a reshiram with an energy on your first turn. Tell me, which of these seems more probable?

Equally. There's too many ways to describe it so not telling any.

Ty W said:

Agreed. You also consider the fact that you have Collector to grab a Yanma if you don't have it in your starting hand. Yanmega will be hard to counter, but I'd just like to wait to see what EP gives us.

yo, ZPS can consistently hit 120 from T1 half the time or more (don't flame me for that rough statistic...but it really can. I've played enough ZPS in playtesting to know that a good ZPS build usually hits 120 T1 more than half the time. and if not, then 120 by T2 about 75% of the time which is still crazy especially if you flipped to start the game.) so even the zoroark/yanmega/donphan and magnezone/yanmega still need to evolve...so they need to sacrifice their babies or something while they get time to evolve/set up. and they can't knock out zekrom until T3 or T4 usually. that's 2-4 prizes ZPS takes by the time you've gotten 1. and in the meantime, by T4, even without getting the great T1 set up, you're still setting up your second zekrom by now. magnezone takes too long to build up those energies and yanmega doesn't hit hard enough to take out zekrom, and it falls prey in the weakness game. zoroark needs almost as long to set up as zekrom, but zekrom has a chance to T1 the active zorua, or seeker to stall your evolve time, or reversal if you try to hide it on the bench. only problem ZPS would really have in donphan prime, but that's one pokemon to give it trouble, while zekrom gives yanmega and two of it's friends trouble.

I didn't think of yanmega prime very much before nats, it slipped under my radar, but the only reason I didn't run ZPS at nats is because I thought reshiram would be very popular...which it turns out, it wasn't! bummer but oh well. should'a went with ZPS

Back