“Pokemon TCG Pocket” New Cards, Crown Rares, Gameplay, Mechanics, and Soft Launch Date!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Last week The Pokemon Company held media events around the world to demo Pokemon TCG Pocket. The review embargo was just lifted.
Here’s all the newly revealed information:
New Cards

Ivysaur-Genetic-Apex-172x200.jpg

Venusaur-ex-Genetic-Apex-1-143x200.jpg

Whimsicott-Genetic-Apex-1-143x200.jpg

Charmeleon-Genetic-Apex-176x200.jpg

Charizard-Genetic-Apex-141x200.jpg

Rapidash-Genetic-Apex-142x200.jpg

Arcanine-ex-Genetic-Apex-143x200.jpg

Magmar-Genetic-Apex-143x200.jpg

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I am semi-excited to play this. It seems like a nice change of pace and I enjoy playing other formats from Standard (Expanded, GLC, and even the current "Expanded" in PTCGL), but I don't know if I'll stick with it for too long. It's almost certainly gonna be pay to win, and if not at launch then certainly not long after as with practically all games with in-game purchases.

Also I said it before, I'll say it again, I really wish they adopted the point system over prizes in the real TCG... I know it's been there since the game's inception, but it's the worst aspect of it (an extra level of RNG that can cost you games before the match even begins, even if you build around the mechanic and make your deck clunkier to try and compensate for bad prizing), and it's never too late with how many revisions they make (like changing tools to no longer be items), even if it makes some cards less useful or useless.

I am semi-excited to play this. It seems like a nice change of pace and I enjoy playing other formats from Standard (Expanded, GLC, and even the current "Expanded" in PTCGL), but I don't know if I'll stick with it for too long. It's almost certainly gonna be pay to win, and if not at launch then certainly not long after as with practically all games with in-game purchases.

Also I said it before, I'll say it again, I really wish they adopted the point system over prizes in the real TCG... I know it's been there since the game's inception, but it's the worst aspect of it (an extra level of RNG that can cost you games before the match even begins, even if you build around the mechanic and make your deck clunkier to try and compensate for bad prizing), and it's never too late with how many revisions they make (like changing tools to no longer be items), even if it makes some cards less useful or useless.
I get why ppl don’t like prizes, but prizes is what separates the pokemon TCG a lot from other card games. I would also say that the fact you don’t have access to 6 random cards at the beginning of the game changes each game and makes it unique. I don’t think that they should get rid of it, as prize checking and figuring out what ur prizes are very good for a skilled game. But I understand why ppl don’t like it.

I get why ppl don’t like prizes, but prizes is what separates the pokemon TCG a lot from other card games. I would also say that the fact you don’t have access to 6 random cards at the beginning of the game changes each game and makes it unique. I don’t think that they should get rid of it, as prize checking and figuring out what ur prizes are very good for a skilled game. But I understand why ppl don’t like it.
I agree, the implementation of prize cards is very flawed but as a concept, being denied particular cards in your deck as a test of skill is excellent. I've played pokemon with "points" instead of prize cards before and although it prevents some occasional frustration, it's honestly really lame to play with and it doesn't make the game more fun.

It probably works fine for a simplified mobile app, but... in the actual game, you have so much draw power and so many search options that prize cards actually do a lot of work to prevent the game from getting stale quickly.

Again, it could definitely be improved upon. Perhaps it should more closely resemble the "shield" systems of TCGs like Duel Masters, Digimon, etc. But the basic mechanic of having a new, unique imperfection in your deck in every match is great.

Last edited:

God I can't agree more with the prize system. Right now you have some degree of control with prizes with Hisuian Heavy Ball but losing Peonia after rotation killed a lot of consistency with slower decks that rely on trainer cards. My decks are so consistent that the only reason I lose at this point is because I have an energy or vital trainer card like Pal Pad stuck in prize at the very last moment when I need them. Daisy's Help will be the only way to keep track of prizes moving forward next year and it taking up a supporter slot is not ideal.

Sincerely hope they make a Rotom ex that lets us manipulate prize cards in some way, or a spiritual successor to the Hisuian Heavy Ball.

Do want to say I'm very intrigued by TCG Pocket and I'll definitely be trying it, but the way its structured seems like matches could end within a split second at any point. Not particularly a fan of the Energy Zone, but the points system is interesting.

First, an amazing looking Articuno card, and now there is a Moltres. If they kept it up with Zapdos and then released them as awesome RL promos, I might just be the happiest man on earth :)

Back