(1) Mamoswine GL from 'Rising Rivals' and Decision [5/4]

What do you think?

• Prerelease scans on Friday night / Saturday morning, WPM a judge!

Votes: 154 79.4%
  • Prerelease scans early in the week, WPM not a judge!

Votes: 40 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Heavenly Spoon :F said:
I still don't get POP's actions regarding this matter.

I mean, seriously, we all know what the cards'll look like, we all know what they'll do, we all know what cards will probably be in the set, and we've known this for months. What's the harm in posting scans? NONE, AT ALL. The worst that can happen is people actually getting interested in the set and wanting to join the prereleases, THE HORROR!

I thought you had an oral agreement to just not post the sleeves and other prerelease-exclusives, and now POP's doing that themselves anyway... I know they have power over you and they would probably be more than willing to abuse it, but like Xous said, that's just downright bullying, and I honestly detest giving in to bullies and blackmail.

But I can also understand that you really want to be a judge, and I'd fully understand it if you were to post them a little later. It's only 2 days anyway, who cares? I just think POP's being a little too silly. I'll support your decision either way.

An early setlist would be pretty cool, though.

I feel the same way. Just post the set list, and I think we should all be happy.

Do what you think is best. In my opinion you should hold of until later as everyone's life does not depend on you posting card scans early. Also you have done so much for us: You made the website what it is, these great forums. I also know from the late times you post these scans for us, you sacrifice your sleep and so on for this website so...

You should for once pursue your dream of being a judge as I am sure this community believe that you should for once put yourself first.

Obviously ultimately it is your choice but I think my perceptive of the situation should help influence your final decission

Bippa201 said:
PokeChamp said:
I feel the same way. Just post the set list, and I think we should all be happy.

Quote FTW

I'd be perfectly okay with this

...Isn't this as bad as posting scans?
We already know what the cards do. The thing POP is trying to hide (until the (pre)release) is the set list. Or rather, what cards are in the set.

Let's be patient. :3

I can't believe that some of you are ACTUALLY putting what you WANT, not need, but WANT before What WPM Wants himself, hasn't he done enough for you already?
Think of WPM, not yourselfs for once

aipomguy said:
I can't believe that some of you are ACTUALLY putting what you WANT, not need, but WANT before What WPM Wants himself, hasn't he done enough for you already?

We're all talking about how he should become a judge XD
What are you on? 0.o

ThePokemonDude said:
aipomguy said:

We're all talking about how he should become a judge XD
What are you on? 0.o

Yes but if he becomes a judge then he cant post early scans, so aipomguy is saying you should only ask for your needs and put WPMs wants above yours and his want is to become a judge.

Heavenly Spoon :F said:
I still don't get POP's actions regarding this matter.

I mean, seriously, we all know what the cards'll look like, we all know what they'll do, we all know what cards will probably be in the set, and we've known this for months. What's the harm in posting scans? NONE, AT ALL. The worst that can happen is people actually getting interested in the set and wanting to join the prereleases, THE HORROR!

I thought you had an oral agreement to just not post the sleeves and other prerelease-exclusives, and now POP's doing that themselves anyway... I know they have power over you and they would probably be more than willing to abuse it, but like Xous said, that's just downright bullying, and I honestly detest giving in to bullies and blackmail.

But I can also understand that you really want to be a judge, and I'd fully understand it if you were to post them a little later. It's only 2 days anyway, who cares? I just think POP's being a little too silly. I'll support your decision either way.

An early setlist would be pretty cool, though.

Woo! Spoon for the win! *High fives*

Anyways, I didn't say it in my first post, but you know me, WPM - I can certainly wait for the scans, especially with me... You know, not even being in the TCG. xP I just use the artwork on the cards for more details on the structure of the Pokémon on them. So... Yeah, in that sense, I can wait. But like I said in my post, they're just being childish bullies.

I presume that what you would like most is to judge AND post. I also presume that you don’t think you’re doing something wrong (e.g. cheating or stealing) by posting the scans but instead are adding value to your community (the community of people that love Pokémon in part due to your site) and that its unfair of POP to ask you to choose between the two. If so, then it’s fair to say you’d be compromising your values to choose one vs. the other.

I’ve found that it’s a slippery slope once you start compromising on your values to get something you want (e.g. to judge at nationals). As I’m sure you are aware, there are many journalist (and yes, you are a journalist) that have gone to jail or even died rather than compromise their values (such as protecting their sources). Of course, those stakes are not what’s on the line in your decision, but still…

It’s a slippery slope… if you compromise on this issue, who’s to say what concession they may require next? Many of the posts in favor of delaying the scans say “we have the Japanese scans already” or “we have the translations” or “how about just the set list”. But what if POP isn’t pleased with those things either? Maybe next you will have to choose between being a judge and posting the translations? Or posting the Japanese scans? Or set lists, etc, etc. Again, compromising on principal can be a slippery slope – who can say where it will end?

Another thing to consider would be this: are the people that are complaining about your posting the same people that choose Judges? They may all work for POP, but if POP is like most companies, there are many sub-divisions that may not have the same view on all things. Perhaps the people that choose judges are really huge fans of your site and would LOVE for you to judge? If you compromise, are you even pleasing the right people?

Be sure you are considering your tactical position correctly… what I mean is that there are basically two “major” Pokémon websites out there and you run one of them. There are very few people that can make a claim like that. And on the other side of the equation (your opponent), you have… I don’t know – you’ll need to tell us, but it seems to me that you have FAR better access their customers (us) than they do. Any wise business person should respect that and realize that they should embrace what you do not disrupt it. That said, there’s no guarantee that its wise business people that are hassling you.

Consider also that in 2-5 years (apparently the time it would take to get enough experience judging), there could (probably will) be different people making those decisions. So in the end, are you better off making sure you have the best possible Pokémon website, or trying to please a few (shortsighted?) people that may or may not still be involved when the time comes. And when the time does come, remember that the Pokémon community will be there to “encourage” POP to do the right thing.

Lastly, having a very popular website looks great on a resume and could be the deciding factor in landing that awesome job with a great company when the time comes. My advice is this: do what feels “right” first, and the rest will follow in due time.

can't you give a list with cards you have scans of? then we now wich cards that are confirmed ;)
and you could be a judge ;)

FireMeowth said:
Bippa201 said:
PokeChamp said:

Quote FTW

I'd be perfectly okay with this

...Isn't this as bad as posting scans?
We already know what the cards do. The thing POP is trying to hide (until the (pre)release) is the set list. Or rather, what cards are in the set.

Let's be patient. :3

My post feels ignored.

Anyways:

@ pop34me
They can't stop WPM from posting scans and translations of the Japanese cards when the cards in question have been released. : |

Of course you should wait to post the scans and then become a judge. Even admins should be allowed to have fun and enjoy their lives.

What I don't understand is why POP doesn't like WPM posting the scans early. After all, the English translations of the cards are already on the site, and they apparently don't care about that.

Yeah, we have the translations so just go on and become a judge.

I don't see you'd want to be employed by an organization who holds such a title over your head to do what they want. You can better serve all by releasing them (in my opinion) than loosely wandering around tournaments making an occasional ruling. Not that I ever look at them, so please don't accuse me of being "selfish" or anything. I just think the other option is a poor one.

WPM, I think you should follow what your heart and feelings wants to. I voted to you became a judge, because the work you do at Pokebeach.com is incredible, but the person who made the dream become reality must dream to conquer their objectives too.
So, In my sincere opinion WPM, we can wait a little bit more!:)

My opinion is POP is being a big idiot for not letting WPM post scans.

is posting scans a few days early going to hurt ANYONE?

NO IT WON'T.

it will actually do good because people will look at the scans and know what cards they want to buy

if POP is gonna hide scans of setlist then people might not even want to buy RR because they want to see what they might get in the packs/PR's

Musical said:
Of course you should wait to post the scans and then become a judge. Even admins should be allowed to have fun and enjoy their lives.

I couldn't have worded it any better. Just go by your calling, dude. And that calling is... BE A JUDGE! Besides, it's not like the scans are even finished until the first weekend of prereleases are over. That's pure proof we have the ability to wait.

I must say, this is a very tricky situation. If you do become a judge you have the chance of getting in to higher events, however, after hearing the way POP has treated you, I would say they're likely to hold a grudge and never let you get higher in the company then a Galactic Grunt. If I had been in your spot when they revoked your press pass, I would have probably just said that I would not want to work for a company that denies my service, and might have even taken them to court, claiming they are going against the 5th amendment of the constitution. You probably should just please your viewers, as the chances of that are better then being a judge.

I think the best option would be looking for a loop hole. Have another person scan in the scans for you, share them with some other site, post 1 at a time,ETC.

You need a poll option like "I'm not sure what you should do. Maybe try the coin flipper or spinning wheel Poketch app?"

Back