(1) 'Pokemon Sunday' Airing 'Black' and 'White' Info With Junichi Masuda [9/11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like what? With all the upgrades present, there's no reason to think their removal would do any damage.

You're surfing on your Pokemon when your pokemon levels up. You delete the move Surf...see the problem there?

You're at a place similar to the Vermillion Gym where the only way to get to the gym is to cut/surf, and the only way to get out is to cut/surf/fly. You go to the gym armed only with a Pokemon that knows Cut. You cut down the tree, enter the gym, battle, your cutting pokemon levels up and you delete Cut. You leave the gym, the tree has regrown, and now you don't have any Pokemon that know cut/surf/fly.

Non-deleteable (through level up) HM's are necessary to preven the player from getting permanently stranded, resulting in you having to start the entire game over.

You're surfing on your Pokemon when your pokemon levels up. You delete the move Surf...see the problem there?

There have been hm's that were turned into tm's, such as flash.

If surf was turned into a tm, it wouldn't be an issue now since they are making tm's reusable.

That way, they can eliminate the issue of having semi-permanent moves and moves being difficult to gain.

Deleting Flash can never result in the player getting stranded. All flash does is increase visibility, so the only consequence would be that it would be harder to navigate the area.

It still wouldn't make sense to have you surfing on your pokemon and have your Pokemon forget surf WHILE you were surfing on the Pokemon.

They can easily program a lock that prevents you from deleting a move WHILE you're using it. I doubt programmers would overlook something like that.

That or allow you to keep using the move on water even if you delete it.

@PokeMontage - Actually, I got lost in a cave on my Pokemon Gold a few years ago! God knows how... I remember seeing an item on the ground somewhere on the screen, but I didn't have a clue how to get to it, because I couldn't see anything except that item and my character. I didn't know where the exit was either. I was convinced I'd have to restart my game, but somehow (and I didn't use cheats or anything) I managed to get out. :S I suppose saving the game before getting into this mess didn't help...

If you use dig, then the pokemon forgets it, it still uses dig. Maybe the rumor from a while back is true and pokemon can naturally surf and fly. Hms are just annoying. Who wants to keep a hm slave everywhere?

What would be better is if the hm's don't take up a move slot, but you can still use it when you highlight the pokemon. But then we'd have people angry over not having surf as a viable move to use.

Course, using something other than surf on a water type until it gets to higher levels would be a nice experiment.

That opens up the question of why it would even matter if you were allowed to delete HM move in the first place if you would have to immediately re-teach the Pokemon the move they just forgot in order to leave an area.
You land on an island and your surfing Pokemon forgets Surf for Hydro Pump. Now you have to delete the Hydro Pump in order to get Surf back if you ever want to get off the island.

Honestly, I find the best solution would be to just make all the HMs a lot better in battle, that way it wouldn't be such a big deal if you couldn't delete them right away. They did this a bit last generation, but they could still improve the moves even more.

Actually, I got lost in a cave on my Pokemon Gold a few years ago! God knows how... I remember seeing an item on the ground somewhere on the screen, but I didn't have a clue how to get to it, because I couldn't see anything except that item and my character. I didn't know where the exit was either.

Point is, though, that it's still possible to navigate the cave without Flash. It's harder, but there's nothing stopping you. Flash is not necessary to do anything or go anywhere in the game. It just makes life a lot easier.

If you use dig, then the pokemon forgets it, it still uses dig.

What?

But then we'd have people angry over not having surf as a viable move to use.

Of course. Surf is one of the most reliable attacks in the game, along the lines of Flamethrower and Thunderbolt.

You land on an island and your surfing Pokemon forgets Surf for Hydro Pump. Now you have to delete the Hydro Pump in order to get Surf back if you ever want to get off the island.

You have four move slots though. You don't have to get rid of just hydro pump, unless you have a list of moves you don't want to get rid of. Then you're pretty much boned.

Honestly, I find the best solution would be to just make all the HMs a lot better in battle

Agreed. But they have yet to do so.

Point is, though, that it's still possible to navigate the cave without Flash. It's harder, but there's nothing stopping you. Flash is not necessary to do anything or go anywhere in the game. It just makes live a lot easier.

That's debatable. What if in the cave, you need to see if you have to use strength and navigate the rock to positions so you don't close off your route? You need to be able to see what you're doing in order to manage that.

Then again, I think it would also be a cool idea to just rename all of the HM's, make them TM's, and then have certain pokemon still be able to use the field ability without it taking up a moveslot. Your pokemon would only be able to use their field abilities after certain gym battles, so yes, there is definitely something to making HM's into TM's.
The problem is, I think the game designers would rather just reuse the same concept from past games instead of having to program this somewhat new one. Face it, it may have been annoying to have to go to the move deleter, but the current HM concept has worked.

That's debatable. What if in the cave, you need to see if you have to use strength and navigate the rock to positions so you don't close off your route? You need to be able to see what you're doing in order to manage that.

I'm not saying that it's in any way practical to delete your Flash while you're in a cave, but what you suggested is still do-able.

The almighty "comfort cycle". The bane of multimedia >_<

But thats the best way to do field moves.

i wish they would reveal more information on the english versions of Black and White. there hasn't been any US Black and White news since Reshiram and Zekrom were revealed in Japan, United States, and Europe back in May.

teeboy23 said:
i wish they would reveal more information on the english versions of Black and White. there hasn't been any US Black and White news since Reshiram and Zekrom were revealed in Japan, United States, and Europe back in May.
I think we know why now. I guess all publicly is not good publicly in some eyes.

Fire monkey confirmed by a silhouette; meaning that the page also showing it with dento is confirmed. Which proves pokabu's evolution is real, which proves the other page with it is real. Which pretty much proves the final evolutions are real. At least this debate ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back