(1) 'Pokemon Sunday' Reveals Mr. Brocolli: Yanappu! [8/21]

It's funny this went from Yanappu to dento who probably has no relation to grass types other than cooking broccoli......and.....grass.{~Facepalms self~}

I think this mon will be great as long as it gets a cauliflower evolution!;) Although, the monkey thing is getting old. Then again, so is the generic first-route bird. I don't really think rattata, sentret, and the like are getting old, because at least they are different species every time. Oh well, I'm starting to get a bit off-topic, so I'm gonna stop. Oh, and for now, I'm calling him Broccuki. :D

PokéMontage said:
I'm not saying that Rhyperior is uncreative. Being uncreative and being poorly designed are two completely separate things. Using the Protector to evolve Rhydon into a heavily-armored Pokemon with arm cannons and a wreckingball tail was definitely creative, but the design is still horrid.

I still don't see why you think Rhyperior's design is horrible. To me, it's awesome... I guess it's just different points of view...
What makes a design being horrible? Do you find it ugly? I don't think it is an ugly pokémon, so how can its design be horrible? And don't tell me that being a horrible design and being an ugly pokémon are different things...

Am I the only one who thought of a bonsai instead of a brocoli? Anyway, I'm a fan of nonsense so BROCOLI MONKEY RLZ!!! I like it, not my favorite pokemon, but yeah, I like it, even though I agree that the monkey design is way overused, we need new species guys! Anyway, those anyone have the fake monocoli picture? I haven't seen it and I'm curious :p
Edit: If it becomes something like this: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=yanappu#/d2x3aaf I'll sure capture it

Irishkappa208 said:
Am I the only one who thought of a bonsai instead of a brocoli? Anyway, I'm a fan of nonsense so BROCOLI MONKEY RLZ!!! I like it, not my favorite pokemon, but yeah, I like it, even though I agree that the monkey design is way overused, we need new species guys! Anyway, those anyone have the fake monocoli picture? I haven't seen it and I'm curious :p
Edit: If it becomes something like this: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=yanappu#/d2x3aaf I'll sure capture it
Irishkappa208 is right. I still don't get where everybody gets the 'brocolli' from. Obviously because WPM called it so and the fake Yanappu was based on a brocolli. The real one however doesn't mention the words brocolli or vegetable ones in their game-data. It's probably just a small tree on its head.

Metalizard said:
I still don't see why you think Rhyperior's design is horrible. To me, it's awesome... I guess it's just different points of view...
What makes a design being horrible? Do you find it ugly? I don't think it is an ugly pokémon, so how can its design be horrible? And don't tell me that being a horrible design and being an ugly pokémon are different things...

It's obviously a matter of preference. I personally find the design to be incredibly awkward and excessively bulky. Its legs don't look like they could support its body and its skinny upper arms don't look like they could support its cannon forearms. The stone plates resemble an orange scarf draped over its head and shoulders, which is more humorous than anything (and I doubt that was the intention).

ogst92 said:
LOL http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=Yanappu&order=9&offset=24&offset=24#/d2wz7ml

All the questions of the universe have now been answered lol.

Lanturnitis said:
I'm not doubting that Yanappu doesn't have a point, nor am I here to say that his design is bad (I love it); all I'm saying is that whether he has a point or he doesn't (the latter most likely not), he still looks like other monkey pokemon.

Exactly. Diversity is better than just having different versions of the same basic thing.

That's a major reason why I don't like munna (apart from not liking its appearance in general). Did we really need another psychic dreaming tapir, the difference between the two being that Drowzee is based solely on the Baku while Munna is based on the Baku AND those Japanese incense burners shaped like pigs?

Lanturnitis said:
I mean we haven't seen koala, capybara, toucans, platypus, polar bears, panthers, tigers, lions, vultures, antelope, etc... (for more)

Just as an fyi:
-Golduck is based partly on the platypus in addition to the Kappa.
-Persian has more in common with panthers than it does with any house cat.
-Raikou is most likely a saber-toothed tiger (which wasn't technically a tiger) but also has characteristics of the Bengal tiger, which makes sense since the Raiju was sometimes depicted as cat-like.
-Luxray is most likely a lion stemming from the constellation Leo.
-Entei and Arcanine seem to be based on Chinese guardian lions, mythical creatures that are similar to lions, tigers, and dogs. Arcanine's fur is also very similar to that of a Bengal tiger.

But I do agree that there are many more animal species that have yet to be used.

Anyway....sorry for getting so off topic :p

PokéMontage said:
It's obviously a matter of preference. I personally find the design to be incredibly awkward and excessively bulky. Its legs don't look like they could support its body and its skinny upper arms don't look like they could support its cannon forearms. The stone plates resemble an orange scarf draped over its head and shoulders, which is more humorous than anything (and I doubt that was the intention).
Well, yeah, it is fat to say the least but that's kind of a staple in a Pokémon like Rhyperior... and about the body support thing, you know in Pokémon, we can't always apply logic... I still wonder how can Zoroark stand on two legs when it is so anoretic...

PokéMontage said:
Exactly. Diversity is better than just having different versions of the same basic thing.

That's a major reason why I don't like munna (apart from not liking its appearance in general). Did we really need another psychic dreaming tapir, the difference between the two being that Drowzee is based solely on the Baku while Munna is based on the Baku AND those Japanese incense burners shaped like pigs?

Well, I don't like Munna because of the same reason... they're reusing concepts for some reason instead of using new ones...

OH NOEZ! VEGGIES ARE COMING TO GET ME IN MY VIDEO GAMES!!!

That broccoli thing is actually cute. I bet that we'll call it veggoli (vegtable + broccoli) in america.

@pokemontage: arcanine is a dog silly.

@irishkappa208: That would be an epic evolution.

Metalizard said:
Well, yeah, it is fat to say the least but that's kind of a staple in a Pokémon like Rhyperior... and about the body support thing, you know in Pokémon, we can't always apply logic... I still wonder how can Zoroark stand on two legs when it is so anoretic...

PokéMontage said:

Well, I don't like Munna because of the same reason... they're reusing concepts for some reason instead of using new ones...

Agreed, they should come up with new inspirations for pokemon, even though I like munna and musharna ( I mean, a fetus-pink-pig-smokey-mon = Awesome )

I just looked at all the videos of the Pokemon and the 2 battles also. Man some of the Pokemon look really really far out. The bird one looks like a baby Lugia sort of and the red one looks like a baby Groundon.LOL. They will probably grow on us once we get used to them though.:)

Yanappu = Oven Mitts (hands) + Broccolli (hair) + Chef's Hat (hair) + Spinach (tail) + Small Monkey

Its pretty neat if you understand what they are trying to get at.

Of course it could just be an obscure reference to something we won't understand until Bulbapedia does. Kinda like Parasect and Trapinch.

aaroncsmall2 said:
Yanappu = Oven Mitts (hands) + Broccolli (hair) + Chef's Hat (hair) + Spinach (tail) + Small Monkey

Its pretty neat if you understand what they are trying to get at.

Of course it could just be an obscure reference to something we won't understand until Bulbapedia does. Kinda like Parasect and Trapinch.

Trapinch was way too obvious :( at least for me...

Playerking95 said:
Ah muuna is actually based off of a japanese pig tea set?

Not a tea set. An incense burner called a Koro, which is sometimes shaped like a pig and can have various designs painted on it, including flowers:
1_eff56c02ea58c965438fb7b4327659e5.jpg

The smoke comes out the front like it does on musharna.

Both pokemon also seem to be based off of the Baku, the same dream-eating tapir spirit that drowzee is designed after.

Playerking95 said:
Guys Yanapuu belongs to dento. And dento is a grass type gym leader.

That's not confirmed yet. >__> He _might_ be a Grass Leader, although he could still be multi-typed.

dmaster out.

Back