(1) Protect Your Computer! [3/26]

I'm happy to say my dad is all about internet protection so i know for sure that he keeps his security for all of our computers up to date.

It's probably a joke. Why?

Hello! April 1st! 4/1? April Fools Day? Am I the only one who remembers kid holidays here? That is obviously it, just like what everyone said. Internet means have so many jokes and pranks. I mean, why would they announce it? And why would they start it in a week, rather than today?

Now, if this is real, which it might not, then it's pretty creepy.

I believe this is the point. This is for sure not something WPM posted as a joke. I have also heard rumours going around about this. The hacker created this as an "April fool's joke". It's not very funny, at least not to the infected users out there, and that's where, for the hacker, the joke comes in. That's their hobby/job. This is what hackers do. What I'm saying is this- The fact that it's on April Fool's day is not a coincidence.

Why didn't WPM put a disclaimer or something? It's obvious the date would cause controversy. What about the news? My grandma has been watching the newsand hasn't heard anything about it. If this was not a joke I think I would have heard about from somewhere other than a Pokemon site and links posted on it. So yeah, not worried.

meowth14 said:
My Mom told me about this a few days ago.
We've got McAfee on our computer. Do you think that'll keep it safe?

No, switch to Norton or AVG.
My dad and I used McAfee for years and we always would get huge viruses.

I think you best bet to stop this worm from infecting you is
1.) doing what WPM said
2.) turn off your internet for the day
3.) if you computer does get infected, write down notes on what happens. (for the programmers can maybe provide a cure for it)
4.) Of course backing up all of your important files.
5) also to be on the safe side, if you have a million accounts on the web with the same password, change the password!
They do not know for sure what the worm will do, so better be on the safe side.

Here is an a link at pc magazine
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2343910,00.asp

ne68127 said:
Charging_Chimchar said:
ok, if I take my computer offline and shut it down on the 30th before I go to bed, will I get infected? I have norton but its not Norton360 so its useless this computer is my moms, iit has 360. so on the 1st I cant play Maplestory or go on pokebeach??

-CC

Your norton may protect you. As said earlier disconnectting from the internet on 3/31 won't help you.

Oh yes buy a mac, when they are more of a force, the hackers will go after them too.

why. and Ill disconnect on the 30th!! Or has the wurm already happining? :O

-CC

Normally the worm has been out for a while, and the date of the attack is built in to cause the most grief. So if your virus scan is up to date and you are doing regular scans, chances are you should be safe.

Well even though I use McAfee to get rid of viruses and trojans it's done a great job so far cleaning out my computer. I've been having computer troubles lately with a load of trojans that needed to be deleted and quarantined and it's worked so far.

Btw I looked up the details on this virus or wurm on Wikipedia and it did say that daily scans with McAfee should work to help get rid of it from happening.

Gliscor said:
It's probably a joke. Why?

Hello! April 1st! 4/1? April Fools Day? Am I the only one who remembers kid holidays here? That is obviously it, just like what everyone said. Internet means have so many jokes and pranks. I mean, why would they announce it? And why would they start it in a week, rather than today?

Now, if this is real, which it might not, then it's pretty creepy.

It does make sense being an April Fools Joke If it is or If it's just a prank by some douschebag who thought it'd be a crazy idea to reanact the Y2K bug from 1999 my God that was stupid as hell...

I seriously think whoever made this Conficker C wurm should be arrested but then again sadly the U.S. doesn't consider planting viruses, trojans, malware, and wurms on other people's computers a crime at all.

Ummm... It is a crime - a very big crime, just like cyber-bullying and such. But you've got to actually find someone to charge them you see, and this worm's writer is very illusive.

Thanks for the very important heads up WPM!

Well about my situation I don't think I made it too clear but yes I agree it is a crime that shouldn't go unpunished especially by the FBI.

It's no wonder why my computer had all those viruses and trojans for the past few days, they were all caused by the Conficker C Wurm. Luckily though McAfee which was installed onto my computer got rid of most of the viruses and trojans known as "Vundo!qrb".

I think it might of gotten rid of the Wurm for good at least but me and my family are gonna do some work on trying to protect our computers as well. I already notified my stepfather and mother about it via e-mail so they should know soon enough.

If you want to split hairs over this, it's technically the duty of the Secret Service when it comes to cybercrime, though the FBI and CIA can help out, of course. There are definitely laws against this sort of thing. The problem is that the Internet is the toughest place to weed out somebody and chase them. Only once in a while is someone actually caught and arrested for the likes of identity theft or creating a worm, though when they do get caught, punishment is harsh.

These detectives and white-hat hackers are not being lazy, mind you. It's that we're dealing with malicious James Bonds here.

This is why April fools day can be misleading. Is it a prank, or does the creator want you to think it's a prank so the worm is taken less seriously, thus causes more damage? :p

Pretty scary stuff. But I think it will ultimately be a flop, just like the millenium bug.

Ophie said:
If you want to split hairs over this, it's technically the duty of the Secret Service when it comes to cybercrime, though the FBI and CIA can help out, of course. There are definitely laws against this sort of thing. The problem is that the Internet is the toughest place to weed out somebody and chase them. Only once in a while is someone actually caught and arrested for the likes of identity theft or creating a worm, though when they do get caught, punishment is harsh.

These detectives and white-hat hackers are not being lazy, mind you. It's that we're dealing with malicious James Bonds here.
Yeah what he said:p

I use firefox and have AVG, Spybot, and Anti-Malware (A lesser known trojan killer but one of the VERY few capable of completely removing the nasty Vundo {AKA Virtumonde} Trojan from your computer).

I hope that's sufficient enough.
I have a bunch of Trojan horse Vundo.FW infected now on AVG/

I'm using firefox, but I noticed my iexplore.exe has become infected and keeps opening ads and occasionally will load up a link, which opens another page, which opens another.etc until I use Task Manager. I will be sure to take the necessary precautions. Even if I don't have it, because I have something.

ne68127 said:
Mence Master said:
Bwahahahaha, I have Mac, therefore that little demon shalt not smite me!

Watch for http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/01/another-mac-vir.html
Trojans aren't really viruses, and it seems like you actually have to go through a lot of unnecessary trouble to get it...
And then there's the fact that the article itself doesn't even know whether it's real or not.
Nothing to be afraid of.

and *High-fives Mence Master

I found the infection on my computer. xD But I took quick care of it. :F

I just dropped every firewall out of every anti-virus software I had and installed on my laptop, like 5 were lifted awhile back by my dad so he could install some programs and never got put-back down. So hopefully this will take care of it. I am giving my computer a full system scan everyday from now untilthe 1st.

(Wouldn't it be funny if all this thing did was plant an animation window on your computer telling you April Fools? xD)

Edit: I have also found like 18 tracking cookies all cleared. :\

Well, tracking cookies are really nothing to worry about. They just report browser behaviors.

I feel like this might just be a hoax, as do many others. I have AVG and Malwarebytes, so I think I'm protected if it's real.

Charizard88 said:
(Wouldn't it be funny if all this thing did was plant a rickroll on your computer)

That's where my wurm money is.

dmaster out.

Back