(1) Protect Your Computer! [3/26]

Heavenly Spoon :F said:
ne68127 said:
Mence Master said:
Bwahahahaha, I have Mac, therefore that little demon shalt not smite me!

Watch for http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/01/another-mac-vir.html
Trojans aren't really viruses, and it seems like you actually have to go through a lot of unnecessary trouble to get it...
And then there's the fact that the article itself doesn't even know whether it's real or not.
Nothing to be afraid of.

and *High-fives Mence Master

This explains pc and viruses
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pGOnGM04xgk/SbeB84GQCCI/AAAAAAAAFwg/Ko6QFKkyVXw/s1600-h/MacsSuck.jpg

omahanime said:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pGOnGM04xgk/SbeB84GQCCI/AAAAAAAAFwg/Ko6QFKkyVXw/s1600-h/MacsSuck.jpg
No it doesn't...

Mac's usage share is over 5.5%, and the percentage is steadily climbing (14% of the computers sold in Q1 of 2008 were macintoshes, these are the latest officially published numbers, I think). Do you actually believe that nobody ever bothered trying to create a virus for it? Sure, the fact that macs have less viruses than your average PC (way less, to none at all) is of course partially because of Window's larger market share, but I am positive that the basic security on a macintosh is superior to Window's security. Yet it manages to be more discrete.

I know you probably don't like hearing that your computer is worse, or that you picked the wrong operating system or whatever (which is of course not true, both have their advantages, the PC's advantages are mostly because of their near-monopoly position, though (games, more applications, ...), purely OS-based, a mac is probably way superior). But it seems like instead of considering that this might be true, you become hostile, which is never a good thing (don't worry, this is natural human behaviour, people do it all the time). But seriously, there's no point in trying to argue about this, you're not going to convince Mac users, and the PC users use a PC anyway.
Most mac users I know were tired of Windows, moved to a mac, and none of them would even considering going back, BTW

And I saw the vid you had 1st and the notice that all PC users should watch (whereas the video was obviously meant to be targeted at macintosh users (failed to convince me, BTW, most of the flaws pointed out are easily solved, it was a 1-sided discussion anyway)). I don't know what you were trying to achieve with it, but I'm glad you removed it...

And I promise I'll stop turning this thread into a PC vs Mac argument if you guys all behave and stuff.

I should be fine, I have AVG and use Firefox, and I even just used Windows Update once.

I think I'm going to back up all precious animu and Touhou save data though, I always wanted to back it up to my own portable hard drive anyways. And of course, school work.

See, this is the reason I don't use Macs, they can't play Touhou.

Heavenly Spoon :F said:
omahanime said:
No it doesn't...

Mac's usage share is over 5.5%, and the percentage is steadily climbing (14% of the computers sold in Q1 of 2008 were macintoshes, these are the latest officially published numbers, I think). Do you actually believe that nobody ever bothered trying to create a virus for it? Sure, the fact that macs have less viruses than your average PC (way less, to none at all) is of course partially because of Window's larger market share, but I am positive that the basic security on a macintosh is superior to Window's security. Yet it manages to be more discrete.

I know you probably don't like hearing that your computer is worse, or that you picked the wrong operating system or whatever (which is of course not true, both have their advantages, the PC's advantages are mostly because of their near-monopoly position, though (games, more applications, ...), purely OS-based, a mac is probably way superior). But it seems like instead of considering that this might be true, you become hostile, which is never a good thing (don't worry, this is natural human behaviour, people do it all the time). But seriously, there's no point in trying to argue about this, you're not going to convince Mac users, and the PC users use a PC anyway.
Most mac users I know were tired of Windows, moved to a mac, and none of them would even considering going back, BTW

And I saw the vid you had 1st and the notice that all PC users should watch (whereas the video was obviously meant to be targeted at macintosh users (failed to convince me, BTW, most of the flaws pointed out are easily solved, it was a 1-sided discussion anyway)). I don't know what you were trying to achieve with it, but I'm glad you removed it...

And I promise I'll stop turning this thread into a PC vs Mac argument if you guys all behave and stuff.

You promise to stop turning this thread into a PC vs Mac argument after 2 paragraphs of arguing your side. You accuse me of getting hostile.
This thread was posted by WPM as warning to pc users to make sure their security is up to date. A few Mac users get on taunting "a mac is probably way superior". And evidently we pc-users are expected to quietly accept the abuse. But I post a link and you take umbrage. You like Apple products, good for you. I probably have as many issues with Apple as you have with windows. We are individuals. Each wth their own likes and dislikes.

Nah, the post I made in the first page was a subtle way to say that the article on the front page was Windows-centric. Of course, I later read that Confickers A and B are Windows-only and chances are Conficker C wouldn't concern me.

I just saw the thing on Fox News, it says it is not a joke for April Fools. It can give personal details away like your bank account. This is serious, somebody my age could recognise that. I have a question though, will Norton 360 work?

Also, here is some info on the Conficker:

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/worms/conficker.mspx

Lol Fox News. I do believe it after 60 Minutes, but I'm expecting something less than a mass outbreak. Maybe a tiny attack. ;p

dmaster out.

Whoa! i JUST HEARD ON THE NEWS THAT THIS WILL BE WORSE THAN THE LOVE BUG VIRUS!

My Computer is infected. I can't load anyother sites than Pokebeach and pallettribune.
I have condemned myself by unknowingly have used Internet Explorer 6 I just upgraded to 7 But it is too late. If my CPU survives I will post after school tomorrow. I wish you all a good night and a possible LAST POST?!

I think mines OK. Ive got Norton 360, built in Firewall and Drivesentry. It says it has 1 blocked item, could that be the Conflicker?

My computer seems to be doing okay. I already ran both of of spyware programs and an antivirus system and it didn't say my pc had Conflicker. Hopefully this will be the case for everyone. If you cannot access Antivirus websites or Microsoft's web site, you are probably infected. The news has stated that you can have a friend email the link to you to remove the Conflicker Worm. If anyone has the link please post it.

In the news this morning they said that even though Conficker C was supposed to hit today it didn't so, to quote dawn,
"No need to worry!"

Back