(2) BW Rule Changes, Set and Theme Deck Lists [4/4]

Reading these six pages gave me a headache, and easily reminded me why I stopped playing pro. The vast misunderstanding of wording that paints so clear a picture it's almost worthy of hanging in a museum (ie. "Abilities" counting towards Umbreon UD, Vileplume's supposed "godliness" due to 'Trainer' terms) is staggering. The irony is alot of their re-wording was to be as clear as possible ("Heals 20 damage" vs. "Remove 2 damage counters"), and yet it seems that still isn't enough. $10 says even after PCL comes forward, slaps everyone Three Stooges style, and says "No, Vileplume can only lock Items and Umbreon can still be attacked by Pokemon with 'Abilities'" that people will still say "...I'm not so sure, because-".

Secondly, as far as the new rules go, I do see the flaw in them existing with the new rotation. Part of what made me go back to "just for fun" was the vast amount of unoriginality that the TCG has degraded into professionally (if there are four division winners and three are using the same deck, that's pathetic). It's called "Gotta Catch 'Em All", not "Let's Just Use the Same Six Pokemon". Because I can tell you right now if I was a Pokemon Trainer and every trainer/gym leader/Elite 4 member I fought had a team comprised of Sableye, Luxray, Garchomp, Gyarados, Dialga, and Spiritomb, I'd call them all filth, hand my starter back over to the Professor, and go home and read a book. Seeing SPs and everything pre-HGSS rotated out would be wonderful, and easily speak volumes towards moving in the right direction (best league games were after the last rotation when LuxDrill net deckers were forced to 'think', whomp whomp). The very concept of 'donk' decks, which the new rulings have turned into the ultimate 'must have' (provided the rotation doesn't hit on the 25th, which would be equally beautiful), almost makes me sick. Since when did Pokemon TCG turn into the game 'Perfection'? Maybe Judges should have egg timers, reward players based on how many fewer turns they win.

Old codger rants aside, as I know there are many who actually find enjoyment in such things, the new set looks exactly how a brand new region set would (someone made the parallel to D&P, I fail to see why it wouldn't look like that). We have to keep in mind that, even with the games out over here for a month and sites like PB to fill us in on every Pokemon in the Unova Pokedex, they're still going to try and stagger it out because they have to. Officially (I know, bear with me), Kelodion, Melotta, and Genesect don't exist; Kyurem is not a big star with his own game (rather, he resembles Timmy's turkey Gobbles from South Park); and few have rarely attempted to capture Thunderus/Tornadus, let alone buy both B&W and catch both to get Landerus (who is pretty epic btw). So stuffing all 156 into the first of what, for all we know, could be another Diamond/Pearl block (would make alot of sense with an HGSS rotation) is just silly. This is an introductory set, nothing more.

That said, my last point of observation is the newer post about "cut Pokemon cards". Several of those cards actually did make it into the set (Basculin caught my eye) and are even in precons. So this list seems kinda 'hokey' to me.

Alright, I'm done with my quarterly PB forum post. You scamps run along now.

SPIRE_FAN said:
either way. like what J-Wittz say's if these rules apply it is all going to come down to a coin flip. in fact even if it is RR-on people are just gonna play collector + begging door and ripple swell first turn if they run arceus (which i bet people will if it is RR-on) and not just that. beedrill g will still be in the format if it is RR-on. turn 1 40+ anyone?
and let us not forget about zekrom. with pachirisu you get turn 1 120.

I HATE THESE NEW RULES. MOSTLY FOR MD-ON (supporter and ability rules are stupid in the long run anyway)

I think this evidence is clear enough that If we do have an Emergency Mid-Rotation Cut IT WILL HAVE TO match with Japan's current Modified format cause there's just alot of power creep from the late DP sets and Platinum in general. I guess Call of Legends has it's share of overpowered cards with Seeker,
Pachirisu, and Lost World as well.

States has already proved that LostGar is a Tier 2 deck at best, and I'm actually glad that Pokemon Catcher and Max Potion got removed from our upcoming Black & White Base Set. Those cards would've just made LuxChomp and Gyarados even more powerful than they are right now. So Arceus will become a donk deck as well with these new rules? Wow...

Yeah unless they change the format to HGSS-On, this metagame is going to become stagnated but I'm not giving up on this TCG cause it still has alot of potential, heck this game has been in worse scrapes than this (Neo Genesis Slowking and Sneasel) especially when it was temporarily discontinued back in 2005 when Wizards of the Coast lost their license to this game until Pokemon USA, P!P, and TPCi got this game back on track again and now they're suffering from problems associated with the current metagame that need to be drastically fixed and soon.

I also watched J-Wittz's latest episode of Prof-It and I notified him about this on his YouTube Channel, glad I did. I hope PokemanDanLv45 gets the memo soon. This is huge, infact qnetykz (and everyone else) knew about these changes and that they'd hit our shores eventually we just assumed that there would be some significant changes to keep those bad rulings from affecting us to help balance the format but since we got the same end of the deal it just made them worse.

The Supporter Rule Changes are bad for people with short-term memory and is going to cause Judge problems. Everyone is going to have to memorize their Supporter for turn in tournaments otherwise you might get disqualified for cheating to help remember what Supporter you played on that turn. Can you imagine that? Getting disqualified for a bad ruling just because of short term memory, that's stupid. Even I make play mistakes every now and then but that's just wrong...

The Ability Rules are there to try to match up with the video game franchise which never really got adjusted in the TCG itself for a very long time. Infact there is a stark comparison to the video game franchise and the TCG in terms of Poke-Powers, Bodies, and Abilities cause in the video games they just have Abilities but in the TCG it's Powers and Bodies. They're just trying to simplify it to match with the video game franchise which seems okay but not that great in terms of balance I suppose.

Pokémon catcher is definitely not in this set but the Venipede and Whirlepede from the "pontentially cut list" are as they are in the Green Tornado deck.

The decks don't come with an extra pack but they come with a code to be used online and the mats are 2 player mats now. The holo card is a glass shard just like the previous decks (Undaunted and on).

For those who want to contact the people who make the TCG about this issue go to the link below at their Support Center:

http://support.pokemon.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=15227

Don't bother. I already emailed them and they did nothing. They won't change it and they don't want to hear about it.

I was thinking what If the best way to counter SableDonk is by running more Basic Pokemon than we usually do? Most decks usually run around 13-14 Basics right? If you up that by 3-4 possibly you could very well avoid a potential donk by Sableye with Expert Belt, Special Dark, 2-3 PlusPowers, for a whopping 100 damage with Overconfident. Of course making deck space for Basics would somewhat hurt the consistency of the amount of Trainers, Supporters, Stadiums, and Energies you run in the deck.

If fixing deck ratios doesn't help fix the problem then I don't know any other way unless we wait til it rotates, that is pretty much our best option right now unless TPCi gets their heads out of their butts and listens to the Pokemon TCG Community for once and fix the format.

Like what others said before you can't just copy and paste rules from Japan for our format and expect the same result as in Japan cause they are HGSS-On while we are MD-On which is ridiculous. Our format should be the same as Japan's however human error is to blame.

Muddy68 said:
Don't bother. I already emailed them and they did nothing. They won't change it and they don't want to hear about it.

I don't expect them to change the Black/White rules, I only expect them to put us in the same format as in Japan which is HeartGold/SoulSilver-On (HGSS-On). The problem with that is a Mid-Season Rotation to HGSS-On would hurt players who are attending Regionals and Nationals this year as they would have to buy more cards and fix their decks again to compete which is a major time sink.

Waiting 4 months for the Pokemon TCG to get fixed isn't gonna kill anybody is it? The current problems with our format will get resolved eventually just not as fast as everyone expects it to be. Don't quit the Pokemon TCG cause it will get around it's problems eventually this year. You look at a TCG like Yu-Gi-Oh! and everyone thought it was going to die out from all the unbalance and power creep especially after Upper Deck left and Konami's been doing a surprisingly good job keeping the game alive after all these years.

If Yu-Gi-Oh! can make a comeback then so can Pokemon. Though I must admit that the Anime franchise is in worse shape than the TCG itself though, 5D's was just meh however the new Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal series is garbage compared to the previous entries and it doesn't even hold a candle to the Original Series.

postponed most likely. its similar to what pokemon did with lost world. its a card that will change the meta, so they postpone it to allow the current meta to stay alive/continue.

you can expect to see pokemon catcher and the rest of the TSS cut from BW in our second installment of BW.

Are the new rules implemented on April 15th(iirc)? Does that mean that regionals will have these new rules?

new rules implemented after BW release. after april 23rd, or whenever it comes out

the new rules will take some time to get used to but i like the new abilities power instead of the other powers it makes more sense because the in-game pokemon have abilities

Back