News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

When the game is as fast as it has been, "slower" is still stupidly fast. It also wasn't just the speed that killed Energy transfer decks, but the power. To a lesser extent, the Energy removing capacity of the cardpool also matters.

Hold up. I think PRC-STS will be slower but not slow as such. Blimey - with a bit of luck one could get a turn 2 Canyon Axe going, so it's not exactly sluggish.

Besides, I think we're actually agreeing! Energy Trans-type Abilities work better in a slower/less powerful format (which was the point I was trying to make). Imagine if Primal Groudon-EX (or other suitably bulky Pokemon) had some easily accessible Energy-Trans-type Ability that it could splash in. Load up on Max Potions and that bad boy wouldn't be going down in a hurry (which is your point about taking advantage of damage flushing without discarding your Energy).

Last edited:
Hold up. I think PRC-STS will be slower but not slow as such. Blimey - with a bit of luck one could get a turn 2 Canyon Axe going, so it's not exactly sluggish.

Besides, I think we're actually agreeing! Energy Trans-type Abilities work better in a slower/less powerful format (which was the point I was trying to make). Imagine if Primal Groudon-EX (or other suitably bulky Pokemon) had some easily accessible Energy-Trans-type Ability that it could splash in. Load up on Max Potions and that bad boy wouldn't be going down in a hurry (which is your point about taking advantage of damage flushing without discarding your Energy).

We aren't completely disagreeing, but I was stating that I do not believe the new format will be lacking in the elements I listed; they will be a tad slower, but relatively rapid OHKOs, plus the potential for decent Energy removing tricks should we focus on a Rainbow Energy (or other) fueled toolbox approach. More so the former. I did forget something as well:
  • Garbodor (XY: BREAKpoint 57/122) currently with no useful Tool removal to counter it.
  • Hex Maniac loses Battle Compressor, but its still a deck options
  • Possibly Greninja BREAK decks will also make the leap to PRC-On Standard
I am not saying there is no hope, just that a Stage 2 with Energy transferring Ability, even one capable of using Forest of Giant Plants, would not have been particularly strong. At least not without some additional factor. Give me a hardy attacker (so OHKOs aren't a thing), especially if it can hold its own while Abilities are down and is a Basic, and I would have been quite excited.

Hey, if any one knows, can you inform me on where this guy was selling these cards? I know it says in North Carolina but I was just wondering were. Also I have a guess the #54 would, or should, be ancient Mew. Who agrees with me?

Pretty disappointed in this set so far, outside of the Pidgeot EXs. Incomplete evolutions, missing starter lines (but more Charizard, because CHARIZRAD IS EVRHYONES FAVRUTE POLKAMON (misspelling intentional), and everyone of us that ~dares~ to like Venusaur (my precious flower toad <3) or Blastoise more and wants more/better cards of them is a heathen... even if we also like the 'ole Chars), an out-of-place Mew card that also blocks damage from relatively under-powered evolutions in a set called Evolutions WHATINTHEHECKAREYOUTHINKINGTPCI, the awful turn-ending effect on Professor Oak’s Hint (there's a reason why Megas weren't that successful before Spirit Links, guys...), and just tons of weird decisions that make no sense.

I'm looking forward to the Sun & Moon sets and their bloody GXs more than this. At least there we'll get evolutions of all the starters, complete evolution lines, and - hopefully - some actual fresh ideas. :p

Pretty disappointed in this set so far, outside of the Pidgeot EXs. Incomplete evolutions, missing starter lines (but more Charizard, because CHARIZRAD IS EVRHYONES FAVRUTE POLKAMON (misspelling intentional), and everyone of us that ~dares~ to like Venusaur (my precious flower toad <3) or Blastoise more and wants more/better cards of them is a heathen... even if we also like the 'ole Chars), an out-of-place Mew card that also blocks damage from relatively under-powered evolutions in a set called Evolutions WHATINTHEHECKAREYOUTHINKINGTPCI, the awful turn-ending effect on Professor Oak’s Hint (there's a reason why Megas weren't that successful before Spirit Links, guys...), and just tons of weird decisions that make no sense.

I'm looking forward to the Sun & Moon sets and their bloody GXs more than this. At least there we'll get evolutions of all the starters, complete evolution lines, and - hopefully - some actual fresh ideas. :p

I'm glad to see people are receiving Pidgeot EX well. I just wish TPC/i did more with the Pokemon since its almost universality loved as the other 'top' mon. I know I'm sad to not have Energy Trans Venusaur around. As a Golduck Break player, I have to wait at least 3 turns to get one out, assuming I draw all the right card. Venusaur and FoGP lets me play with all my favorite Pokemon and do some pretty annoying things but you can't have enough Charizard right? Not like Venusaur and Blastoise are meta defining or anything but I guess from a balance stand point, this was a good move but who wants balance when Basic Pokemon let big basics be more offensive. Lets get a basic with Energy Trans. lets break the game!

I just bought a guys collection of older cards and i was so hype to get a bunch of energies and dce and switches to put in my deck and now theyre reprinting the older art works. I mean come on! I was also excited for the starter ex's but theyre the same as the 20 year full arts. Its kind of a bummer. Oh well haha im going to blow a bunch of money on these cards anyways

So sad that we get these awesome retro blanks on this set before moving to the hideous Sun and Moon ones. Might pick up some boosters of this set for nostalgia only.

This is what I get for being in a hurry and copying the previous text from the earlier article without checking it. :p
Don't worry, it's not like any sane player in existence will use that attack anyways.

I believe it's Concept Pack. Usually concept packs are smaller minisets, like the Radiant Collection, but they can be bigger like this set or the CP4 Premium Champion Set. Basically they're small sets with a theme :p
Doesn't it stand for Chamion Pack(s)? It's the sixth Premium Chamion set in Japan (Correct me if I'm wrong)

EDIT: I found some info on another Pokémon news site and it does indeed stand for Concept Packs :)

Last edited:
I think it's funny that Weedle is called the Hairy Bug Pokemon when it isn't hairy at all. :p
There are a lot of Pokémon classifications that were mistranslated (either because they were translated too literally or because they associated the kana with the wrong kanji). The Japanese word for caterpillar is written with kanji for "hair" and "bug," so it got translated as Hairy Bug.

Last edited:
You know what by how the game works I think you can play the base set Weedle in standard after this set comes out.

It has the exact same stats.

Is base weedle gonna be playable after this? Everything is the same except the original says the defending Pokemon while the new one says opponents active Pokemon. I hope it is playable cause that'll be pretty cool being able to play the original weedle

Back