Anime Discussion Thread

RE: Best Anime Series?

GHJamesGH said:
What do you guys think is the best anime series? I have a subscription to a website that has all the episodes from a ton of series. Please do not say Pokemon, Digimon, Dragon Ball, or Yu-Gi-Oh.

Why can't we say those .-.?

Code Geass is my favorite by far. There is so much character development, and action. In a good 50 episodes, you learn everything you'll need to learn about the show's characters. It has a motif of rebellion (I think the word I'm looking for is motif). The show plays out like a game of chess. So much so that in season 2, it names the episodes "turns". Every episode ends on a cliff hanger, and you'll want t see how it ends up. You're going to get stuck on this one ;)

Also, I would actually recommend the English dub. The voices are very good, and with subs, you'll often miss some key points.

Gurren Lagann is the best anime series ever, hands down. Everything about it is absolutely amazing.

Aside from that I'm a big fan of Berserk, Samurai Champloo, Gungrave, Elfen Lied, Code Geass, D. Grey Man, Black Blood Brothers, the Vampire Hunter D movies, Escaflowne.... I could go on forever.

Classifications, PLEASE!

I think it's unfair to try and say there's one anime to rule them all. It may be a matter of comparing Dark Knight to Little Mermaid, so to say.

Best Beat'em-up: Yu-Yu Hakusho.
Now, now. Down, DBZ fans. True, DBZ does have a lot of good action involved in it, yet at the same time you have to go EONS into an episode just to watch 5 minutes of fighting after massive amounts of powering up. With YYH, it's different; the boys are hot to trot, use their brains for certain fights to a hilarious extent, there's plenty of luffable character development (Oh, Genkai and Kuwabara...) instead of stereotypical 'STUFF FACE BOY' and 'ANGRY PRINCE BOY', there's so many flaws in the characters it makes them realistic, and I think even Saiyans would want to cry trying to go against Toguro at 100%.

Best Mystery Series: .hack//SIGN
I'm not touching any other .hack//, but this one was a great mystery. There were lots of subtle hints involved with this storyline, and it definitely deserves some credit for 'most like a game' anime.

Best young teen/girl anime: Angelic Layer
To be watched only as sub, IMHO, this little-known piece from Clamp is really cute. It integrates some wonderful fight scenes where the underdog Mizaki has to strategize to really beat her opponents. And she isn't all-powerful as a newbie, either, which is refreshing. Also, WIGGLY ICCHAN! NYERONYERO~

Best Plot-twister: Kannazuki No Miko
My. God. This one was a real mind-boggler. Great characters, great steering of the story (though you have to pay attention, and it's definitely not for those that are younger). Oh yeah, the mecha battles are HOT STUFF. I'm not into mechas but this! THIS. It was awesome. Minus the pitiful yelling everytime the lead male character attacked.

Best Historical: Rurouni Kenshin
Everything in this anime is so perfect to the time. I've done some research into it, and this just...feels so much like what was described in the history books. Yet it keeps a gentle fantasy air to it- not enough to lift it off the ground, so to say, but just enough to add plenty of excitement into the story.

Best Mecha: None (I don't watch mecha really)

Best Robot-Human: Cyborg 009
Ahhh, my childhood. With a unique style, gorgeous character development, and some heavy plot points, this makes for an excellent robot-human series. (I fear for my head, thanks to the Evangelion fans out there...)

Best Art: Tsubasa: Resevoir Chronicles
While I'm still vastly upset at what they did to the STORY, Clamp has a distinguished style with 'perfect' anime proportions, great magic effects, stunning character designs and even more beautiful outfits...seriously, there's very little here to poke at.

Best In-Game Anime: Persona 4
My. God. Seeing the cutscenes of this game made me want a Persona 4 anime so badly. ;A; The actual game has anime cutscenes that are few and far in between, but they are GORGEOUS.

Best Plotter: Death Note
Death Note gave me a headache, but there's absolutely no debate that's it's really an amazing thinker anime. (Light needs some acting help though...)

Best Mature Anime with a Plot: Chobits
It's cute, yet devious in one package. Definitely not for the younger crowd, this anime delivers an important message while subtly revealing some important messages about society today.

Worst Anime Ever: Anything by 4kids
They mess everything up ;;

good gawd could you suggest the most common anime? lol. just messin with ya, but seriously, do you watch anything thats not mainstream at least?

I would say "Ghost in the Shell S.A.C" is by far (At least to me) the best Anima show, it has everything! Action, Philosophy, moral, character development, fascinating themes. and so much more!

Kaiba is amazing if you're a fan of surrealism. The art style is kind of bizarre, but you get used to it.

Astro Boy is a classic; if you're having trouble finding the original series, the recent 2003 series was actually pretty good (just avoid the English dub).

Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin have already been mentioned, and those are both amazing. One Piece is great but it's a tad on the long side.

xxxHOLiC is also pretty good. The anime doesn't tie in very often with Tsubasa's so you can watch it without having to worry about...well, watching Tsubasa.

And lastly, if you like to go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

I'll go with Code Geass.
And here is a good AMV for you non beleivers;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7zdl7HdwwU

Don't know if this is sarcasm or not, but either way Spongebob is not an anime no matter how you put it. Overall, my vote goes to Naruto. The amount of viewers that Naruto gets just proves it :/

Just because something is popular does not mean it is good.

Case in point: Twilight.

I vote goes to Code Geass and Death Note

Code Geass -> Very exiting, and almost every episode ends on a Cliffhanger. Beautiful Music. Very Good plotline.
Death Note -> Very clever, very awesome plotline. And creepy. I watched it along in the dark and I almost wet myself. (I didn't though) Anyway, I can't decide between the two. Both are thrilling. Thanks

Nobody else mentioned most of the stuff I did.. I'm surprised to a degree, but blown away to be the only one who said Gurren Lagann!

z-man said:
Code Geass
Also, I would actually recommend the English dub. The voices are very good, and with subs, you'll often miss some key points.

Its funny, but I actually agree with you. Originally, I watched the entire season 1 and 2 on youtube in Japanese. Then I saw a couple in english and hated the voices. But after I bought the first part of season 1, I now like the Eng. It sounds similar to the jap.

The only thing I dont like is that the Eng dub ruins the lines in some cases.

For example, the Japanese version calls the gurens weapon the "Nuclear Pulse Emitter" while the Eng calls it the "Radiant Wave Surger".

So lame. One of many examples were the awesomeness is lost in translation...

Back