Artistic Inquiries Thread - Ask Anything Related to Art!

RE: Art Questions Thread

I hope this doesn't count as reviving a dead thread but I HAVE to ask this:

Can you use GIMP brushes on Photoshop CS2? If so, how?

I don't think there is a seamless method. Photoshop brushes automatically work on gimp but not the other way round. You'd have to open the gimp brush, save it as an image, open it in PS, and then use Edit > Define Brush

How does one save a transparent background on GIMP? Every time I try, the background is transparent as I'm working on it, and I save it, and when I upload it to Flickr, the background instantly turns transparency to white. If anyone can help me with this I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I've never used GIMP, but what kind of file are you saving as?

I used to save as JPG, but now I save as PNG.

Are you making 2 layers? The background all transparent, and all but the picture transparent on the other layer? When it gets saved, mine have transparent backgrounds.

Hmm...if you save as a PNG while the background is transparent, it should save transparent. Or at least that's how it works in Photoshop. If you'd like, you can send it to me and I'll make it transparent for you.

Decmaster said:
How does one save a transparent background on GIMP? Every time I try, the background is transparent as I'm working on it, and I save it, and when I upload it to Flickr, the background instantly turns transparency to white. If anyone can help me with this I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

It's Flickr's fault, they don't support transparency. If I'm not mistaken, when you upload your PNG and it shows up on flickr, try saving the pic and you'll see it's been converted to a jpg. I've never used Flickr but I heard such things from members.

pokemon99 said:
Are you making 2 layers?

That has nothing to do with transparency. In fact, both jpg and PNG don't support multiple layers anyway, so it's irrelevant to the transparency issue.

Oh. Whenever I make 2 layers and flatten it, it works, but when I just make one layer and have the background transparent it doesn't work.

That's why I posted that.

What do you mean "flatten"?

In gimp, flattening an image removes its alpha channel (in addition to merging all layers). If you have blue set as the BG colour and you do flatten on a pic with 1 layer, the transparent parts become blue.

Have you tried uploading other PNGs with transparency onto flickr? Just to confirm if it's a flickr issue or gimp issue?

I'm not so sure because I don't use GIMP but maybe try flattening without the BG?

Ehh I dunno what you mean bu "without the BG". When you flatten, all the layers are merged, and then all the transparency is replaced by the current BG colour in your tools.

So just merge it without merging the BG.. That's what I meant.. Sorry

What is the cheapest program you can use in order to make animations? Not like, 3-D animation, but simple things, like the ones that some people have in thier avatars or banners?

Gimp can do animated gifs. Each layer represents 1 frame in the animation. The layer name will specify the time interval.

Does anybody know a good program for making fakemon cuz i dont want to draw it because I am a horrible drawer

Back