Ban Mewtwo EX?

I wouldn't say that games in this format are at all decided on who goes first. I've won plenty games going second, and lost games going first as well. Mewtwo certainly doesn't make the format more luck based either, in fact I think it adds an element of skill and makes games more based on outplaying your opponent. You have to actually think about when to play your Mewtwos, as well as your energy attachments. It's definitely not about who gets the Mewtwo first, or who attacks second, it's about who's smarter about how they use their Mewtwo. I mean sure, there's always luck involved, but Mewtwo coming into the format definitely didn't make luck a bigger factor.

Xintetsu1021 said:
If you ask me what really needs to be banned or limited is eels, and i say this only because I'm sick of seeing reports where there's about 60~70 eel decks at states and just as many CMT.

So let's ban the two best decks in format? Sounds legit.

This guys a genius, thats the exact reason I quit playing is because of freakin mewtwos. I'm 13 and can't rely on my parents, don't and can't get a job, and the rotation is annoying. Cardfight Vanguard actually has a huge meta and is affordable so I'm playing that now. IF TPIC wants my business they can forget it because I'm tired of mewtwo ex being so overpowered. It wiped out half the meta decks before NV.

The only meta deck that Mewtwo EX even came close to wiping out was The Truth. While losing that one deck does hurt the meta a bit and some people (myself included) would like to still be able to play it, its loss is hardly a reason to "ban Mewtwo EX", partially because Mewtwo EX actually adds some decks to the meta to make up for it. If you actually played matches with it, it is not an "easy mode" card in any way and does indeed require thought that enhances the game. If you want to ban it because it costs too much for you, that's a ridiculous argument because first of all there are cheap decks that do not require Mewtwo (Terrakion, Durant) and secondly a card being expensive has nothing to do with how it enhances or hurts the metagame.

PokemonJon said:
This guys a genius, thats the exact reason I quit playing is because of freakin mewtwos. I'm 13 and can't rely on my parents, don't and can't get a job, and the rotation is annoying. Cardfight Vanguard actually has a huge meta and is affordable so I'm playing that now. IF TPIC wants my business they can forget it because I'm tired of mewtwo ex being so overpowered. It wiped out half the meta decks before NV.

I see where you're getting at however I don't think it will be as overpowered after Dark Explorers due to Darkrai EX especially the set after when we get Rayquaza EX. Of course not every deck will be able to run Rayquaza EX as efficiently as Mewtwo EX right now later on down the road.

How is BW-On annoying? I think you meant that the current format is annoying. If anything BW-On is a breath of fresh air for the game, CMT dies, no more Junk Arm making Catcher abusable, and so many other benefits except that well Basics will still be dominant over Evolution decks of course.

Card Slinger J said:
I see where you're getting at however I don't think it will be as overpowered after Dark Explorers due to Darkrai EX especially the set after when we get Rayquaza EX. Of course not every deck will be able to run Rayquaza EX as efficiently as Mewtwo EX right now later on down the road.

How is BW-On annoying? I think you meant that the current format is annoying. If anything BW-On is a breath of fresh air for the game, CMT dies, no more Junk Arm making Catcher abusable, and so many other benefits except that well Basics will still be dominant over Evolution decks of course.

BW-On would be nice, but CL-On would be better for stage two decks..... (Sage's PONT Cleffa etc.)

mewtwo shouldn't be banned as rayquaza will slow him down alot (darkrai wont be an effective mewtwo counter though :/)

Mewtwo's grip over the metagame will lessen come DE. It has a tough time dealing with Raikou, and Dark.dec has resistance and somewhat low Energy cost.

Card Slinger J said:
. Either way you look at it the Pokemon TCG is already turning into Yu-Gi-Oh! without the Forbidden/Limited List from 2003.

No we still got a long way from that, because Pokemon has rules that you can actually understand and not have to get in a fist fights over.

Any way what i was saying was like instead of limiting or banning Mewtwo maybe make Mewtwo a promo card with as popular as it is, the fact its $70~$80 bucks and every deck in format at the moment seems to run it.
Just because of its difficulty to get it makes the game some what unballanced or unfair for newer players or those who just don't have that kinda cash to invest in hunting for it or buying it,
Any way i think he is going to lose a lot of viability with the new sets coming out, and so are eels. and arceus knows what where gonna see when the BW6 set gets revealed.

i personally dont think mewtwo should get banned, there are other ways to go about the meta without using mewtwo (durant, terrakion etc.) I realize that mewtwo is a staple, and an amazing card, but i feel that you have to deal with the meta if you want to play competitively and basically mewtwo is the meta. As for the price, i think it will drop a little bit because of dark explorers and darkrai EX, but then it will go back up, because it most likely will still be a staple even after dark explorers comes out.

Xintetsu1021 said:
No we still got a long way from that, because Pokemon has rules that you can actually understand and not have to get in a fist fights over.

Any way what i was saying was like instead of limiting or banning Mewtwo maybe make Mewtwo a promo card with as popular as it is, the fact its $70~$80 bucks and every deck in format at the moment seems to run it.
Just because of its difficulty to get it makes the game some what unballanced or unfair for newer players or those who just don't have that kinda cash to invest in hunting for it or buying it,
Any way i think he is going to lose a lot of viability with the new sets coming out, and so are eels. and arceus knows what where gonna see when the BW6 set gets revealed.

unfortunately they would only do that if too many 3rd party companies started making too much $$ off of it (which imo they already are =P) remember even though is alot of money that's just what TCPI wants a good card that's rare that everyone is after (means more $$ for them :/ )

I've been hearing rumors that Mewtwo is going to drop in price next set since Darkrai is going to be ran to counter against it and make it to where it's not nearly as game breaking, one of my friends is willing to sell me one of his Non-FA Mewtwo's for $100 but I don't think it's worth it when other upcoming EX's in the format will potentially overshadow it's abuse.

Card Slinger J said:
I've been hearing rumors that Mewtwo is going to drop in price next set since Darkrai is going to be ran to counter against it and make it to where it's not nearly as game breaking, one of my friends is willing to sell me one of his Non-FA Mewtwo's for $100 but I don't think it's worth it when other upcoming EX's in the format will potentially overshadow it's abuse.

FA Mewtwo near-mint sells for an average of $80 online, while the non-FA one near-mint sells for $50-$70. Don't buy it from him, just use eBay/Amazon. :D

Well when it comes to buying Pokemon cards on eBay I usually don't buy over $25-$30 a pop for one card. It's much easier for me to get it at the shop where I have the cash to pay for it straight up. Doesn't matter to me much since Mewtwo is going to drop in price because of Darkrai.

i think that we all hate mewtwo ex in some point but that doesnt mean we have to ban him

Card Slinger J said:
Well when it comes to buying Pokemon cards on eBay I usually don't buy over $25-$30 a pop for one card. It's much easier for me to get it at the shop where I have the cash to pay for it straight up. Doesn't matter to me much since Mewtwo is going to drop in price because of Darkrai.

I'm sorry but I disagree, darkrai is good, but will give mewtwo no more trouble than something like Regigigas EX (at which case regigigas in some sense can be more dangerous to mewtwo than darkrai....)

quit complaining cuz u cant afford it pokemons getting expensive but if u get those good cards u will get packs from top cutting and it'll be a gain of money for u

YoungNes said:
quit complaining cuz u cant afford it pokemons getting expensive but if u get those good cards u will get packs from top cutting and it'll be a gain of money for u

It's a kids game...

Anyways, the trend Mewtwo EX is going to cause is what's going to hurt the metagame. Pretty soon, the alternatives are going to skyrocket in price (Darkrai EX @ $60 is ridiculous, but that's for a different topic).

Now, I don't think Mewtwo EX should be banned, rather it should be released in a tin/collection box or something soon to help the discouraged players. I have a feeling it will, anyways. They did this with Yanmega before Mewtwo was officially released in English. As others have said, Mewtwo saps the fun out of the deck-building process because it's perceived that you MUST have a counter to it to stand a chance. What's the most efficient and splashable counter? Mewtwo, itself... I don't see how anyone can call that healthy. I'll be teching a Darkrai EX or two in my "TerAXitan" deck for some ultimate Mewtwo hate or whatever, but I guess I can just throw in some of my Mewtwo's instead!

Something needs to be done to meet the demand, because the card is going to exist and continue to centralize parts of the game whether we like it or not.

yeah they will make a tin/box for it or SOMETHING to bring the price down if 3rd party companies strat making too much $$ off of it :/ (which is already happening :p)

Back