Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Competitive Battling Simple Questions Thread

I'm not familiar with VGC, but I can tell you some common Hail Pokemon are Abomasnow (Duh), Mamoswine, Kyurem, Reuniclus, Walrein, Cloyster, the list goes on. Anything that doesn't mind the extra damage while still benefiting the team is pretty much fair game when it comes to Hail teams.

I'll see about what I add.

Can anyone explain to me how to setup and use the dreamworld? Thank ya

silver116 said:

You need to make an account on Pokemon-gl.com and then go to the game sync option on the main menu when you start up Black/White. You'll get a code that you use to link your cartidge to your PGL account. Afterwards, go to the online function of your C-gear and send your Pokémon to the dream world.

silver116 said:

If you want a fuller explanation, there's a handy-dandy link in my sig.
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=105960

I'm just starting Competitive Battling.
Any important tips? What kind of battle stradegies do people usually use?
Any info helps, Thanks! :)

-Edit- Can someone explain to me how the tournaments work? Like, how many tournaments to I have to do before national/world (...)? What places get what stuff/what placings get into the next division?
Most importantly- (I'm in the US) How spread out are the tournaments?
(I'm going to be trying in 2013, if I can get to the tournaments)
Thanks!

Adding to the post above, I would just like to ask the question: Where do I get started? It seems that with TCG you have league and lots of articles on where to get started but with Pokemon VG you don't know where to go. Can someone please tell me how they started and some great links for beginners? Cheers.

-Silver

I'm just starting Competitive Battling.
Any important tips? What kind of battle stradegies do people usually use?
Any info helps, Thanks!
Most strategies nowadays rely on weather and the manipulation thereof. With the introduction of Hidden Abilities in Generation 5, it is now possible to have Drought and Drizzle abilities in non-Uber fights (Ninetales and Politoed join the existing Hippowdon, Tyranitar, and Abomasnow). This results in a lot of teams being built around weather, as well as the concept of 'weather wars' being brought into OU - simply said, keep your weather starter alive as long as possible, and the one who loses their weather starter first is at a huge disadvantage. (This is even present in VGC; I run a Sand team variant and my main practice partner uses a Rain team, which I initially have a disadvantage against, but if I can get my opponent down to the last 2, I can drop TTar in the end and prevent the weather from changing out of my favor after that.)

But there are teams that can function just well without weather; these tend to be a bit more well-rounded in terms of types represented, and usually feature Pokemon that can function relatively well in all types of weather. (I run this kind of team in OU Singles.)

Alvee777 said:
-Edit- Can someone explain to me how the tournaments work? Like, how many tournaments to I have to do before national/world (...)? What places get what stuff/what placings get into the next division?
Most importantly- (I'm in the US) How spread out are the tournaments?
(I'm going to be trying in 2013, if I can get to the tournaments)
Thanks!
As far as I know, the only sanctioned Video Game tournaments so far are on the Regional level. I know there are local tournaments that are dispersed throughout various places, but I don't believe those are actually sanctioned (i.e. use the Battle Box and all that). That might change in the 2012-13 season, but I don't know.

As for practice...? Seriously, go find a group of friends who are willing to practice with you and help you make advice on your team. Black and White also have the Random Matchup feature in their Global Terminal, which will pair you up against people at random across the world. (I use this for practice and it's actually quite an effective system, since it pairs you up with someone of similar rating.) There's also the Subway, but it's not as effective as training against real people.

silver116 said:
Adding to the post above, I would just like to ask the question: Where do I get started? It seems that with TCG you have league and lots of articles on where to get started but with Pokemon VG you don't know where to go. Can someone please tell me how they started and some great links for beginners? Cheers.
Are you looking for links on how to build a team in the first place, or where good places to practice are? What kind of links are you looking for, exactly?

Thanks! :D
I have Wi-Fi at my house, (is that what I need for Global Terminal), but how do I use it on my DS? Do I need a different connector? (<- if so, where could I get one and for how much?)

Any info helps! :)

Anyone have any advice on starting a VGC team? Like important info on what to expect from others, or most important things to work on? (should I worry about stradegy over type-matchups or is everything important?)
Thanks!

Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
Are you looking for links on how to build a team in the first place, or where good places to practice are? What kind of links are you looking for, exactly?

Thank you for responding. Sorry for my vague question. Here are some points I'd like the links to cover:
  • How to build a team and how to find working strategies.
  • When EV training should take place, before or after the main story?
  • Tournament information
  • The difference between VGC and VG
  • Sites that constantly update info on competitive play.
Thank you for the help and I must say this thread is a great idea.

I have Wi-Fi at my house, (is that what I need for Global Terminal), but how do I use it on my DS? Do I need a different connector? (<- if so, where could I get one and for how much?)
On the main screen of the game (before you hit Continue), there should be an option where you can configure your Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection settings. This will be unique to each DS; the info for it doesn't save on the game itself (it's just how you access it). On a 3DS, access this through the 3DS's System Settings option.

Have it search for an access point and it should connect you to your router. Follow the steps and you should be good to go. Sometimes it can be complicated, but all you really need know is your router's security key. Also, keep in mind that DS and DS Lite systems can only connect to routers that use WEP security. (DSi and newer are able to connect with WPA.)

Anyone have any advice on starting a VGC team? Like important info on what to expect from others, or most important things to work on? (should I worry about stradegy over type-matchups or is everything important?)
Thanks!
I know there have been topics like this in the past in this forum. You can do some hunting and see if you can find any. (I'll try to do some hunting as well and see what I can find; I'll make an edit into this post.)

Edit: I found some!

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-need-help-getting-into-competitive-pokemon-playing
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-a-complete-newbie
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-question-about-strategies

And yes, everything is important. You need to know what to expect and how best to respond to it. For example, when building my team I found it was horrendously weak to Hitmontop, one of the most common VGC Pokemon. (Other top-OU in VGC are Scizor, Zapdos, Garchomp, Tyranitar, Politoed, Amoonguss, and Chandelure...just to name a few.) So, to that end, I replaced one of my team-mates with a Metagross with Zen Headbutt, specifically for that purpose.
Keep in mind team-building isn't just "build it and you're done"; there are still tweaks to be made after that for certain matchups. You can scroll through the Rate My Team forum for some VGC teams.

Here are some points I'd like the links to cover:

How to build a team and how to find working strategies.
When EV training should take place, before or after the main story?
Tournament information
The difference between VGC and VG
Sites that constantly update info on competitive play.
I can't answer all of that but I can answer some:

I think PB has done a few articles on building teams and considering strategies but I am not totally sure. I know Smogon's done quite a few so you could look there.

You can do EV training before you complete the main story, but it's usually a bit of a hassle to do so due to limited resources and the fact that you must train against specific species. I'd wait until after you finish.

Tourney info? Pokemon.com I think. VGC tournaments only happen at Regionals, which are in mid-November and mid-April.

The difference between VGC and VG is that VGC is an actual tournament metagame - bring 6, send 4, flat LV50 double battle.

Sites that constantly update? Smogon's the big one. It focuses more on standard OU (6v6 LV100 single battle) since that's what most of the playerbase uses, but I believe it's got some VG info as well...

Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
On the main screen of the game (before you hit Continue), there should be an option where you can configure your Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection settings. This will be unique to each DS; the info for it doesn't save on the game itself (it's just how you access it). On a 3DS, access this through the 3DS's System Settings option.

Have it search for an access point and it should connect you to your router. Follow the steps and you should be good to go. Sometimes it can be complicated, but all you really need know is your router's security key. Also, keep in mind that DS and DS Lite systems can only connect to routers that use WEP security. (DSi and newer are able to connect with WPA.)

I know there have been topics like this in the past in this forum. You can do some hunting and see if you can find any. (I'll try to do some hunting as well and see what I can find; I'll make an edit into this post.)

Edit: I found some!

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-need-help-getting-into-competitive-pokemon-playing
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-a-complete-newbie
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-question-about-strategies

And yes, everything is important. You need to know what to expect and how best to respond to it. For example, when building my team I found it was horrendously weak to Hitmontop, one of the most common VGC Pokemon. (Other top-OU in VGC are Scizor, Zapdos, Garchomp, Tyranitar, Politoed, Amoonguss, and Chandelure...just to name a few.) So, to that end, I replaced one of my team-mates with a Metagross with Zen Headbutt, specifically for that purpose.
Keep in mind team-building isn't just "build it and you're done"; there are still tweaks to be made after that for certain matchups. You can scroll through the Rate My Team forum for some VGC teams.

I can't answer all of that but I can answer some:

I think PokéBeach has done a few articles on building teams and considering strategies but I am not totally sure. I know Smogon's done quite a few so you could look there.

You can do EV training before you complete the main story, but it's usually a bit of a hassle to do so due to limited resources and the fact that you must train against specific species. I'd wait until after you finish.

Tourney info? Pokemon.com I think. VGC tournaments only happen at Regionals, which are in mid-November and mid-April.

The difference between VGC and VG is that VGC is an actual tournament metagame - bring 6, send 4, flat LV50 double battle.

Sites that constantly update? Smogon's the big one. It focuses more on standard OU (6v6 LV100 single battle) since that's what most of the playerbase uses, but I believe it's got some VG info as well...

Thank You!!! :)

If I give my Lv. 5 Wash Rotom an Exp. Share and it doesn't battle, do both the battler and the Rotom get the pokemon's Ev's? Or does it split them? If so, how does it split.

If a Pokemon earns experience or participates in the battle, it gets EVs. EVs aren't actually "split" at all; a Pokemon that gives 2 EVs will give everyone who got exp 2 EVs each.

Thanks! I tried a couple rare candies for neutral levels, but the Lv. 4 purrloins are just too rare for me to solely train off of. (Like 1/8 so far... I just used BP to get some carbos :p)

Don't know if this belongs here, but why am I seeing Amoonguss used a lot in OU? I thought it was NU, and then it starts showing up all of a sudden. Does it have to do with the new Therian formes?

The Yoshi said:
Don't know if this belongs here, but why am I seeing Amoonguss used a lot in OU? I thought it was NU, and then it starts showing up all of a sudden. Does it have to do with the new Therian formes?

It got Regenerator. It makes Amoonguss better with its great typing, stats, and moves (mainly Spore, Stun Spore, Toxic, and Clear Smog).

It also makes Keldeo a crappy pokemon.

I see. Seems like Amoonguss will be moving up in the future, perhaps!

Amoonguss is a cool Pokemon. I recently got a Female regenerator in game.

I'd like to ask, If I breed one on my english white version, would there be legitimacy issues since it is created in a game where DW Foongus isn't legal?

Also, would Eviolite Foongus be a good choice? I like Foongus!

Cooltrainer Alan said:
Amoonguss is a cool Pokemon. I recently got a Female regenerator in game.

I'd like to ask, If I breed one on my english white version, would there be legitimacy issues since it is created in a game where DW Foongus isn't legal?

Nope. Nothing in the game says you can't have a Regenerator Foongus in BW. It, like all Pokemon with a hidden ability, is programmed in the games to be legal.

Also, would Eviolite Foongus be a good choice? I like Foongus!

No. Amoonguss has far greater bulk and useable Sp. Atk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back