Concern with the Direction of the Game Thus Far (Again...)

Yes...it...did....Luxury Ball is in SF and Junk Arm in TR...same format last year. If you are gonna run catcher save yourself the trouble and just run 4...instead of 2 and 4 JA >_>

If we have a B/W-On format next year,it won't be as bad as what people think.Let's run through the list:(the cards in bold text are cards that will get rotated)

Poke Catcher+Junk Arm
Ability Emboar+RDL
Yanmega Prime+Magnezone Prime
Donphan Prime+Machamp Prime
Reshiram+Typhlosion Prime
Feraligatr Prime decks
Zekrom+Pacirisu(CoL)+Shaymin(HSU)

See,it won't be so bad.Part of me is hoping for a B/W-On format:D.

Red Striker said:
If we have a B/W-On format next year,it won't be as bad as what people think.Let's run through the list:(the cards in bold text are cards that will get rotated)

Poke Catcher+Junk Arm
Ability Emboar+RDL
Feraligatr Prime decks

:D I would love BW-on. ZPS dies. Reshiboar stays. Cinccino would become good. Zoroark would become good. So many possibilities.

Out of that list, I'll only miss Junk Arm and Magnezone. Also, can't wait for Donphan to leave. It's not that I hate it, it just feels like it's been legal for a looong time. I'm excited for a BW-on format. It seems fun and not too one-sided. We have to remember that whatever is dominating now can change though. Maybe, by the time Psycho Drive and Hail Blizzard is released, Yanmega, Reshiram, and Magnezone will fall. We still have to see if the rest of the EXs are good enough though.

Yeah I've noticed some other players complaining about how "godly" the new Mewtwo ex is and when I saw that card I was like, "It looks just like Mewtwo Lv. X from Legends Awakened except even cooler." We are talking about a Basic Pokemon with 170 HP that can be searched via Pokemon Collector and Communication, can do 120 damage for 3 energies for the cost of an energy attachment discard and it's first attack with a DCE can do 20 damage for each energy attached to both Active Pokemon (yours and your Opponent's).

I think what some people don't get is that Mewtwo ex can be countered easily by Mew Prime with Mass Attack (Jumpluff Lost Zoned) in MewBox decks or by using Zoroark for Foul Play copying Mewtwo ex's attacks. You can do about 180 damage or more granted you have a full bench and they have at least 3-4 benched Pokemon to Mass Attack with Mew Prime like a boss. If Rayquaza/Deoxys LEGEND can be countered easily by Zoroark and other cards why not Mewtwo ex? It's not nearly as broken as my friend SPIRE_FAN made it out to be on Team Rogue's forums here on PokeBeach.

As for the current format being stagnant, yes it is but not like how it was with Yu-Gi-Oh! when the Chaos decks and Yata-Garasu were breaking the format. We need new Pokemon that can actually answer our problems with dominant Pokemon like Magnezone Prime, Donphan Prime, and Yanmega Prime 2 of which can be countered by Tornadus and Beartic however judging by what we are getting from EP Beartic seems to be the best thing to a Donphan counter we have in the current format unless you rather prefer Swanna from last set. Raichu Prime and Lanturn Prime are good counters against Yanmega Prime however with Yanmega paired with Donphan it's easily countered and the Fighting Weakness hurts more than helps in the longrun.

catutie said:
Alright...I will admit that it's not as effective but it doesn't make Stage 2's unplayable as CSJ always says...

I never said Stage 2's were completely unplayable, they are just mainly run as 1 Pokemon line instead of 2 like in the last 2 formats we've had lately part of the reason being the Rare Candy errata hurting the consistency of running more than 1 Stage 2 line in a deck. It's possible but it's alot slower now and it can take more turns setting up when you don't have that time anymore. I've seen some decks run 3-2-3/2-2-2 of 1 Stage 2 Pokemon in their deck and another being 1-0-1 as a backup tech. If you're running Mew Prime you can easily get away with running as many Stage 2's as you want without their pre-evolutions cause of the versatility of it's Poke-Body Lost Link and See Off.

Card Slinger J said:
Yeah I've noticed some other players complaining about how "godly" the new Mewtwo ex is and when I saw that card I was like, "It looks just like Mewtwo Lv. X from Legends Awakened except even cooler." We are talking about a Basic Pokemon with 170 HP that can be searched via Pokemon Collector and Communication, can do 120 damage for 3 energies for the cost of an energy attachment discard and it's first attack with a DCE can do 20 damage for each energy attached to both Active Pokemon (yours and your Opponent's).

Yes but it didn't shine back then because we had things like LuxChomp. It's like releasing, this back in BS days. We look at it and go "What? That card sucks..." now but back then it would be game breaking. Just like in this case...back then we said "Oh that card sucks, snipe, snipe, snipe." but in a slower format like we have it's gonna get more attention.

I think what some people don't get is that Mewtwo ex can be countered easily by Mew Prime with Mass Attack (Jumpluff Lost Zoned) in MewBox decks or by using Zoroark for Foul Play copying Mewtwo ex's attacks. You can do about 180 damage or more granted you have a full bench and they have at least 3-4 benched Pokemon to Mass Attack with Mew Prime like a boss. If Rayquaza/Deoxys LEGEND can be countered easily by Zoroark and other cards why not Mewtwo ex? It's not nearly as broken as my friend SPIRE_FAN made it out to be on Team Rogue's forums here on PokeBeach.

Mew will be one of the only Mewtwo counters....well I guess Mewtwo will be another one BUT THAT IS BESIDE THE POINT. The more Mewtwo rises the more Mew rises...it's not a game breaking card...it's just good and would make a pretty competitive deck

As for the current format being stagnant, yes it is but not like how it was with Yu-Gi-Oh! when the Chaos decks and Yata-Garasu were breaking the format. We need new Pokemon that can actually answer our problems with dominant Pokemon like Magnezone Prime, Donphan Prime, and Yanmega Prime 2 of which can be countered by Tornadus and Beartic however judging by what we are getting from EP Beartic seems to be the best thing to a Donphan counter we have in the current format unless you rather prefer Swanna from last set. Raichu Prime and Lanturn Prime are good counters against Yanmega Prime however with Yanmega paired with Donphan it's easily countered and the Fighting Weakness hurts more than helps in the longrun.

I don't know...this format is a little funky. Did you see the weird rogue deck that was in the finals for Worlds? I still have no idea how that thing works...or why it works. Rogue will actually be able to DO something in this format instead of be crushed by the already established decks like last year. (Want proof? I went with a rogue deck and went 0-5 at Cities...all because the VileGar and LuxChomp wiped the floor with me O_O)

I never said Stage 2's were completely unplayable, they are just mainly run as 1 Pokemon line instead of 2 like in the last 2 formats we've had lately part of the reason being the Rare Candy errata hurting the consistency of running more than 1 Stage 2 line in a deck. It's possible but it's alot slower now and it can take more turns setting up when you don't have that time anymore. I've seen some decks run 3-2-3/2-2-2 of 1 Stage 2 Pokemon in their deck and another being 1-0-1 as a backup tech. If you're running Mew Prime you can easily get away with running as many Stage 2's as you want without their pre-evolutions cause of the versatility of it's Poke-Body Lost Link and See Off.

Why did MagneBoar win Worlds then? Running 2 Stage 2's in a deck is still fast and consistent...

catutie said:
LOL Matches took a long time back then. I thought HS-on would be a slow format but NOOOO "Hers sm Zekroms and Reshiramz, dey do 120 for 3...ya, ya no like Base Set" Can we please...PLEASE just have stage 2's that do 50 damage for 3 and that is considered a GOOD card?

O_O Card Slinger...how...many...times...Rare Candy is JUST AS effective...get over your SP ya complainer :p

Ok, but in base set, what wast the meta? Answer me that. Oh thats right, Haymaker was the only real competitive deck. Basics thats can hit fast. And I don't know why you want to say matches took a long time back then. 2008 matches took on average 30-40 minutes. Where as base set is was 10-20 minutes. Base set was all about the speed. And if you really wish to complain about Zekrom and Reshiram. Its not that their 3 for 120 is overpowered, its more that they have too much support. Take Emboar, Pachi, Shaymin, and Typhlosion all out of the picture and what do you got? A pokemon that takes 3 turns to get powered up. Its the support thats the issue not the basics.

catutie said:
Did you see the weird rogue deck that was in the finals for Worlds? I still have no idea how that thing works...or why it works.

No I didn't, what Pokemon was the deck running? I heard a rumor from HeyTrainer.org that it was running that Tropical Beach Stadium that allows both players to draw up to 7 cards but ends their turn or something. Too bad you can only get that Promo at Worlds though, and I think given it's rarity it's valued higher than Victory Medal which you can only get for winning at Battle Roads and City Championships.

I'd imagine this Rogue deck that topped originated from either HeyTrainer or http://google.com/ since they are usually pretty descret about secret tech's and using the surprise factor to their advantage on the sanctioned level. I tried to find the Top 3 decks that won Worlds 2011 from a Google Search and couldn't find anything. I'm assuming either Pokemon.com hasn't posted the results yet or Water Pokemon Master is working on an article about it as we speak.

catutie said:
Why did MagneBoar win Worlds then? Running 2 Stage 2's in a deck is still fast and consistent...

MagneBoar won Worlds 2011 in the Masters Division? Considering Yanmega Prime making Second at Worlds this doesn't surprise me considering it's weakness to Electric and Magnezone attacking with Lost Burn. What won Seniors and Juniors then? But yeah as for MagneBoar winning Worlds the only reason why is because Catcher isn't in the format yet, once it is though you can bet MagneBoar will decline in popularity.

Project696 said:
And if you really wish to complain about Zekrom and Reshiram. Its not that their 3 for 120 is overpowered, its more that they have too much support. Take Emboar, Pachi, Shaymin, and Typhlosion all out of the picture and what do you got? A pokemon that takes 3 turns to get powered up. Its the support thats the issue not the basics.

I think it's more about putting 120 damage for 3 energy on a Basic with above normal HP instead of keeping it on a Stage 2 Pokemon cause the speed of a Basic is devastating compared to how it's more balanced with Evolutions themselves. This is part of the reason why SP Pokemon in our last format was the worst idea ever to plague this TCG, what PUSA/TPCi should've done is had Trainer, Gym Leader, and Frontier Brain Named Pokemon be able to evolve like their predecessors from Gym Heroes back in the old days.

Uuuuuhhhh actually there is a Haymaker in this torney and it's losing...yaaaaa

The meta back then was very balanced. Charizard, Blastiose, Haymaker, Mulligan Mewtwo, and a bunch more made up the meta and even really rogue (like my deck in the torney) shine bright (4-0...ya...haven't lost :p).

I do have to agree, but TCPi makes the combos. Sure was nice of them to release Emboar and Reshiram IN THE SAME SET >_>

Card Slinger J said:
No I didn't, what Pokemon was the deck running? I heard a rumor from HeyTrainer.org that it was running that Tropical Beach Stadium that allows both players to draw up to 7 cards but ends their turn or something. Too bad you can only get that Promo at Worlds though, and I think given it's rarity it's valued higher than Victory Medal which you can only get for winning at Battle Roads and City Championships.

I'd imagine this Rogue deck that topped originated from either HeyTrainer or http://google.com/ since they are usually pretty descret about secret tech's and using the surprise factor to their advantage on the sanctioned level. I tried to find the Top 3 decks that won Worlds 2011 from a Google Search and couldn't find anything. I'm assuming either Pokemon.com hasn't posted the results yet or Water Pokemon Master is working on an article about it as we speak.

Vileplume/Reuniclus/Blissey/Zekrom/Donphan/Suicune & Entei LEGEND/Cleffa/Pichu/Tropical Beach

That came in second...it lost because of a donk...ya...rogue as heck.

catutie said:
Vileplume/Reuniclus/Blissey/Zekrom/Donphan/Suicune & Entei LEGEND/Cleffa/Pichu/Tropical Beach

That came in second...it lost because of a donk...ya...rogue as heck.

I swear, everytime I see that list or deck name I just go O_O. I really wonder what he will call it for when they print it.

But this proves that if a rouge deck can go this far (even if it was just because of the element of surprise) that this season is still pretty healthy.

Perhaps a problem we'll encounter even with a B/W-On format are snipe deck varients.Take the snipe deck in my signatutre for example.

With Pokecatcher,games won't last as long as they did when I first started(which was two years ago).Let's say you manage to get a Rare Candy,Pokemon Communication in the same starting hand and you start out with a Dieno.T1 you use Communicatinon to search for a Hydriegon.Next turn,you use Rare Candy to evolve Dieno into Hydriegon,attach a DCE and your already halfway set up.

I know the link is a Call of Legends-On deck,but you can't really build a decent B/W-On deck at the moment.

O_O We won't rotate till next year...ya...a whole year of sets. I would imagine spread decks would become good again in BW-on

Red Striker said:

Poke Catcher+Junk Arm
Ability Emboar+RDL
Feraligatr Prime decks

You win the thread. Catcher is only imbalanced because of stuff like Donphan Prime who can abuse it to its fullest.

The Japanese make cards to adapt to their format. Our format is always lagging behind and that is why the stuff seems imbalanced.

Riskbreakers said:
You win the thread. Catcher is only imbalanced because of stuff like Donphan Prime who can abuse it to its fullest.

The Japanese make cards to adapt to their format. Our format is always lagging behind and that is why the stuff seems imbalanced.

Japan has the same format as us....

catutie said:
Japan has the same format as us....
I think RB is referring to the fact that Japan normally has more sets released in comparison to the other nations in the world. Thus, they have a different format that includes more recently-made cards.

The Japanese also play with smaller decks and different time/prize rules. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Im pretty sure Your right and I think they're only allowed 2 of each card in 40 card decks.

I'm not sure what you're talking about exactly, but here's what I pulled from Bulbapedia:
The Pokémon TCG requires a deck of 60 cards for amateur or organized tournamental play. Shorter matches can be held with "half-decks" consisting of 30 cards instead. During a 60 card match, only four of any one card, excluding Basic Energy cards, are allowed in each deck. This is further limited to two of any one card in a half-deck match.

Alot of stuff in this game currently is unstable and it's scaring alot of good players from the game or forcing them to quit at least. I don't really want to quit the Pokemon TCG and I've already put alot of money into this game like I have with Magic so like everyone else we're in a really rough spot right now. The Pokemon TCG really seems to have stooped to a new low this time.

Maybe I should ya know take a break from playing Pokemon for awhile and play other TCG's like Magic and WoW until things settle down. I still plan on playing the EP Pre-Release and get my playset of Catchers from booster boxes and I don't really want to get back into
Yu-Gi-Oh! since that will cost me even more money to get back into and the game is just as expensive as Competitive Magic is in Legacy Type 1.

I just didn't think the Pokemon TCG would get this bad and back in 2007 it was making such a huge comeback too and I really didn't want to see it all go to waste. Hardly anybody plays Pokemon TCG where I usually go to anymore, it's just usually WoW, Magic, and Raw Deal so yeah you can see where my problem is coming from. I go to other places to play Pokemon TCG however it seems like more people are going back to Yu-Gi-Oh! and Magic nowadays which sucks.

Back