Donphan - Could it do well in a post-DE format?

Rikko145

I put the "laughter" in "slaughter&
With the plethora of {D} and {L} running rampant, as well as the {L} decks keeping the {W} decks out of the format, could speed Donphan or Donphan/Dragons make a comeback? I've been mulling it over, and I think it could do fairly well. Thoughts?

Huh. You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Donphan and other fighting types already existing in the meta (Terrakion, Landorus....) became big to counter all the dark decks that are going to emerge with the next set. However, keep in mind that Empoleon might get some play and that will just sweep Donphans.

You could always play it with the Dragons and a heavy Zekrom line and Revives. Empoleon can't OHKO a Zekrom, but Zekrom can OHKO an Empoleon. Plus it's a basic, winning you the prize race.

Also, people won't want to play it too much with Eels being the most popular deck right now.

15.jpg

This deck can also epicly abuse this new energy that provides {L}, {F}, {W}, & {M} (but only 1 at a time). With Kyurem and Zekrom in there for Outrage, four of these will give them another use as well if you need their other attack in a pinch. Plus, you can still use it on Donphan if you need it, therefore not affecting the consistency of the deck whatsoever. This energy in addition to DCE will make the most effective use of the dragons.

I could see something like Donphan/Zekrom/Kyurem/Coballion being played since it uses all those types, essentially making it a free Rainbow Energy. I don't know how well it would work though, because of the relatively low damage, and reliance on hitting for weakness.

Well it hits everything important for weakness and/or has a good damage exchange with it (Mewtwo). Although, I really don't see a need for Cobalion here. Just my opinion, but I think that the speed of it -only needing a stage 1 and an energy or a basic and a DCE- plus the flexibility outweighs low damage output.

Donphan/Mewtwo won two states in masters, so the deck could definitely work. The question is if it will or not.

If the deck worked for States it will be even better now. There isn't any reason that Eels will see less play, and Dark Toolbox is being introduced in whatever form it ends up taking, but whatever it is Donphan will be good against it.

I've beaten Donphan with ZekEels. All they need to do is to spam Zekrom EX, which OHKOs Donphan without being OHKOed back. Then once that is taken out, you can just bring out Mewtwo.

alexmf2 said:
I've beaten Donphan with ZekEels. All they need to do is to spam Zekrom EX, which OHKOs Donphan without being OHKOed back. Then once that is taken out, you can just bring out Mewtwo.

um
after exoskeleton and resistance, zekrom only does 110 to donphan

that and 2hkoing zekrom ex is ok if its not an ex getting ohkoed back, considering zekrom ex gives up 2 prizes.

tornados is the card that really beats donphan, especially with eviolite (another card donphan hates) it just walls him while getting an easy 2hko

Pluspower? And Donphans damage to bench.

Tornadus really shouldn't be that hard to deal with, you can just Catcher around it.

pluspower yes, but they have those too (and usually run rocky helmet)

and yes they can catcher around it, but they can only do that so many times
and really you can catcher around donphan if you need to take a prize

Played with Zekrom it easily beats Tornadus. Switch to Zekrom, DCE, and Outrage. When they Hurricane, it gives you enough power to KO them.

Rikko145 said:
Played with Zekrom it easily beats Tornadus. Switch to Zekrom, DCE, and Outrage. When they Hurricane, it gives you enough power to KO them.
yes because i will sit there and let you kill the counter to your deck
zekeels has other ways to deal with other zekroms, and will easily be able to retreat to them.

and if i wasn't in a position have something to send up and deal with zekrom that turn, that doesnt mean i have to hit it

Then if it even has 1 damage counter on it, then it 2HKO's Tornadus anyways. And if you retreat Tornadus I can catcher it back up again. I feel like this matchup just turns into counter, counter to counter, counter that counters counter, etc. etc. etc. until somebody wins the prize race by some means. Meaning it will probably come down to starting hand/draws thoughout the game, honestly.

i dont think you understand, when zekeels turn ends, it will either have a) killed zekrom or b) not hurt it
its not gonna let it get the tornadus get killed so easily
now given it could be another zekrom that donphan would just kill, but tornadus is still there

and it can turn into a prize trade, problem is the eels give zekeels away to easily get energy back as well as accelerating it. meaning it all it really needs to keep getting are easily searchable basic pokemon, and maybe some revives or a super rod.
Donphan on the other hand needs to keep attaching energy, sure most attack only need 1 energy card, but you cant always bet on the dce, that and they still have to get the pokemon back out to replace what does fall.

Althouhg I like Donphan i think hes been replaced by Terrakion.Terrakions got higher HP,better attacks with higher damage,hes a basic,the downside?He doesn't have that great pokebody.

The real downside is that Donphan is faster, needing only 1 energy compared to 2 or 3 like Terrakion. I dunno how it will perform, but it might be something to think about.

Which Donphan is this? The CoL one? If so wait for rotation. There mighht not be any Donphan left after rotation, and Terrakion and Landoeus are better, both attacks are very useful.

Oh, HS one, GONE.

Back