Gyarados..

Amt

So far I have seen no Gyarados this season. I know it's only Battle Roads, but still.. you don't even hear much talk about it anymore.

Do you guys think with the release of Junk Arm, Twins, and Rescue Energy that Gyarados could make a comeback?

Post your thoughts!

I think Gyarados is really good right now. I just won three Battle Roads with it in the Masters division, where there is good players. I think Rescue Energy will be a minor change, and Junk Arm will not be that at all. You can not fish it out with Sableye, which on turn 2 or 3 I already have in the discard pile.

I have faced a post truimphant gyarados and it is just SOO fast. It barely even needs sableye, and with regice and a junk arm/luxuray ball combo, you can get a gyarados rolling turn 1. Rescue energy makes it never go away, and it is just a beast.

I am kind of debating of switching over to Smeargle as a starter. That would be pretty much the only time I'd run Junk Arm.

You know, much as I love Gyarados, I don't think CCs is going to be kind to it. Gengar prime has ways of sending your magikarps to the lost zone...that would not be pretty. I think your best bet is to use Rescue Energy now, since I think it would prevent the Gyarados and Magikarp from going to the discard, but to the hand. It also works against when Gyarados gets killed normally too.

We don't have the official scan of rescue energy or gengar prime, so we can't know for sure what the official ruling is on that.

Don't forget that Gengar Prime decks need Min 2 Gengar Prime and 4 Mew Prime that is pretty expensive. i think.
Also Junk arm can't be used in a trainer lock.

I've been posting a bit about Gyara on the B-Side boards (which you should read more, AMT! <33).

I think it's decent now (tier two), and it only gets better after TR. Rescue Energy and Junk Arm help it out so much. I've only tested a handful of games so I can't say anything about it yet, but I'm speculating that it'll be good.

I agree right now, I think it is tier 1 or tier 2. I mean that I have beaten all the meta game decks around all 5 Battle Roads including, Luxchomp, DialgaChomp, Vilegar, Sablelock, Machamp, PG-13, AMU, and Kingdra.

Gyarados is good, it has been doing good atm.

Pokeman, you did not win three BR's with it. As I recall, you won once, maybe twice.

No I won three, I know that for a fact, I went to all five. Gyarados should do really good though all season, and right now.

Gyarados is still a top deck that everyone seems to ignore. I've been running it so far this season with good results and only plan on running it the rest of the season since it doesn't really have a bad or auto-loss match-up. Rescue energy is going to be great for the deck, and I'm even thinking about putting hunter in there somewhere as well, but in my opinion, junk arm is exactly what the name says it is -- junk. I don't see the point in running the card, under trainer lock it's useless in your hand and it doesn't really benefit much to begin with unless you draw it early game and get to ditch a Magikarp or two with it; otherwise, there's no point in having it late game.

^THANK YOU! I am also going run 1 Hunter tech in my deck too. It helps when you have a Sableye and you can go Warp Energy in on a hurt Gyarados, and push up a Sableye and go for a Hunters. I also am running maybe 1-2 Rescue Energies in the deck aswell. People are bad to think Gyarados needs Junk Arm. It is a waste of space, and a dead card under trainer lock. You only need to get 2-3 Magikarps in the discard pile and your fine. It is not like a discarding deck with like the old LA Kingdra deck where you need to get like 12 energies in the discard pile, all you need is 2-3 simple cards which can be handled easily with a Regi Move, and/or Volkner's.

I like it a lot, i've been testing it, however i did overlook Rescue Energy but i still haven't had problems, i've run Spiritomb instead. Also my list is clunky but still consistent(DGX and Luxray GL LV.X)

@minimidget: The translation is clear enough. Gengar prime sends things to the lost zone by killing or by its first attack. Rescue Energy is like a free Floatzel GL for any pokemon. It is fairly safe to assume that Rescue Energy could prevent Gyarados and Magikarp from going to the Lost Zone, but you'll have to wait for an official ruling.

"Pokeman, you did not win three BR's with it. As I recall, you won once, maybe twice."

Sean, seriously, get your facts straight before you go making acusations. Bennett DID infact win three BR's. Go ask everyone at league even.

The English translation changes only slightly from the Japanese text. The same concept remains. No matter what, Gengar's poke-body will make knocked out pokemon go to the Lost Zone and Rescue Energy will prevent pokemon from being discarded when they're knocked out. Simple.

Volkner from what I've heard works fairly well...but that's like the only card that makes you discard from your hand.

Back