NFL Discussion Topic - Favorite Teams and How They are Doing

Its a little obnoxious. He might be a great player, which he his, but how many claims have been made like this before? How long has Jerry Rice been the top receiver, ever? It would be cool if he did, but I don't think he can.

I like Dez Bryant's bravado; but has he forgotten Jason Witten still has hands and he can still catch the football. Romo throws it to Witten more then to Bryant.

Bryant has the skills to get close, he'd need to be in a situation where Dallas had no other receivers besides him.

Wow Romo is not worth $108 million in 6 years with $55 million guaurenteed. And I thought Flacco's contract was bad...

Dallas kind of stuck themselves into this, unless they wanted to risk Romo leaving next year.

I mean, they have Kyle Orton, and he could've filled in nicely until Dallas drafts a new Franchise QB.

Romo's not really terrible. Top half-flight QB, but if you're considering the Dallas Cowboys all-time QB's; then yeah.

Romo can't hold a candle to Staubach and Aikman, or even the 'always a bridesmaid, never a bride' Danny White.

Ehh, he's pretty bad. 19 INT to 28 TDs lol. And a list of better QB's: (sorry if I spelled some names wrong)
RGIII
Eli Manning
Michael Vick
Alex Smith
Philip Rivers
Peyton Manning
Russel Wilson
Collin Caepernick
Andrew Luck
Matt Schuab
Matt Ryan
Drew Brees
Cam Newton
Tim Tebow
Tom Brady
Andy Dalton
Ben Rothlesburger
Joe Flacco
Jay Cutler
Matthew Staford
Aaron Rodgers

Some of them are barely better or can be made an argument against, but he's definatly not worth the money he got.

20/32 (and one backup) are better than Romo IMO. Also Romo does have better receivers than a lot of the people on this list.

Smeargle said:
Ehh, he's pretty bad. 19 INT to 28 TDs lol. And a list of better QB's: (sorry if I spelled some names wrong)
RGIII
Eli Manning
Michael Vick
Alex Smith
Philip Rivers
Peyton Manning
Russel Wilson
Collin Caepernick
Andrew Luck
Matt Schuab
Matt Ryan
Drew Brees
Cam Newton
Tim Tebow
Tom Brady
Andy Dalton
Ben Rothlesburger
Joe Flacco
Jay Cutler
Matthew Staford
Aaron Rodgers

Some of them are barely better or can be made an argument against, but he's definatly not worth the money he got.

20/32 (and one backup) are better than Romo IMO. Also Romo does have better receivers than a lot of the people on this list.

Yay Tim Tebow

Tails said:
Romo's not really terrible. Top half-flight QB, but if you're considering the Dallas Cowboys all-time QB's; then yeah.

Romo can't hold a candle to Staubach and Aikman, or even the 'always a bridesmaid, never a bride' Danny White.
He can't preform in the postseason unlike Staubach and Aikman could. But, he used to have some reasonable stats a while ago. Maybe one more year and end with some money.

Alex Smith isn't better then Romo. How much better the 49ers played when Colin Kapernick came in proves that.

When Romo went down with injury in 2009, Dallas played incredibly pitiful (because they had an over-the-hill Brad Johnson and a no-name in Brooks Bollinger).

Plus, the 49ers Defense was one of the best in the NFL last year. You don't have to do much on offense when your Defense is getting 3 and outs like candy.

Alex Smith had a better CMP and his ratio was 13/5 (2.6) to Tony Romo's 28/19 (1.47) (that's the only way to truly measure that because of Alex Smith's injury). Also Romo had better receivers than Alex Smith. Colin Caepernick making the 49ers better doesn't prove anything but that Caepernick is better than Alex Smith and way better than Tony Romo.

And the Cowboys doing terribly in 2009 after his injury just proves that their backup was terrible.

I'm not really a big fan of this deal, but it does give Dallas a few years to groom a backup.

Not saying he'll be the next Aaron Rodgers, but the few years Rodgers had to fully learn Green Bay's playbook, would probably cause Cowboys fans to think the QB they'll draft will be the next Aaron Rodgers.

Just, they can't draft him in this Draft; O-Line, D-Line and Secondary are major concerns.

I can see Dallas taking a look at some QB's in the class, I'd be surprised if they take one really early and pass up on filling in the holes on the Line or at Defensive End, or Safety.

And, I don't see Romo lasting the entire 6 years, because I think he'll retire before the contract is up.

Geno Smith is really the only person that I see doing well this draft at the QB position and he is likely to go to Jacksonville or somewhere else before the Cowboys get a chance to pick.

Smeargle said:
Geno Smith is really the only person that I see doing well this draft at the QB position and he is likely to go to Jacksonville or somewhere else before the Cowboys get a chance to pick.

Geno Smith doesn't really fit with being a grooming QB. He's a guy who should be heading to a place like Jacksonville where he could start immediately.

I'm thinking of a guy; maybe like Ryan Nassib from Syracuse being that "developmental" QB. Nassib could be a starter, but not right away; like Geno Smith, Matt Barkley or Mike Glennon are.

The Cowboys are extending their futility with the Romo extension, sucks to suck.

Tyler Wilson will be the QB in this year's draft to have the most success in the NFL.

EDIT: Also to the guys saying the Ravens won't be competitive next year, wut? Do you even football? First of all, Flacco's contract is back-heavy, meaning his salary doesn't hurt the team this season or the next couple of years. In fact, Flacco is has a cap salary of $6.8 million in 2013 - he did a HUGE favor to the Ravens in that regard - which is far less than players like Suggs are already making. As I said, the contract is back loaded, and his cap number is $28 million (or thereabouts) in 2016, which will almost certainly force a restructure of the contract, depending on his performance that year and in prior years. Yes, he has $52 million guaranteed due to signing bonuses and also options for performance, but is that not reasonable for a Super Bowl MVP?

Secondly, remember how everyone is always saying the Ravens and Steelers are old and their windows are closing? The difference is, the Ravens are actually doing something to become younger (hence the unloading of old men like Boldin and Reed). The Ravens are cleaning house, and while I may not like the moves from a fan's standpoint, I trust in Ozzie to make the right business decision, as he has done countless times before, and keep the Ravens relevant. And he didn't fail me. Welcome to Baltimore, Elvis Dumervil and Michael Huff; this defense is reloaded; the offense is fine as is because we have receiver depth without Boldin; and this team is primed for another Super Bowl run. (Also aware you wrote that post before all the signings; but you should have known the Ravens weren't going to let all those players go without a plan in the making.)

tl;dr I'm a Ravens fan and we ain't done yet.

The problem is with Dallas is the fact they don't have a really good backup. Kyle Orton's average at best.

Romo lucked out and got a big extension from Dallas, and I don't think he'll be there for the entire 6 years, because the developmental QB Dallas would've been grooming for a few seasons will eventually become the starter, and it would add another notch into the questionable decisions Jerry Jones had made since he became the owner in 1989.

I think Orton is more than serviceable as a back up, but like you said, there's no up-and-coming QB on that roster that can give Romo legitimate competition and force him to up his performances. Kyle Orton isn't that guy. And as I think you said already in a previous post, SDB, Dallas has priorities in drafting offensive linemen right now anyway

Well, the thing is the Ravens aren't nearly as good as they were last year. The loss of Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Paul Kruger, Dannelle Ellerbe, and Anquan Boldin was too much for them. While yes, they did bring more help in with Elvis Dumervil and Michael Huff, but there are much better teams now that will keep them from the supre bowl. Michael Huff is no real replacement to Ed Reed with only 2 interceptions last year, and Elvis Dumervil does somewhat make up for their loss of 2 very good LB's and 1 good DE. Also, it will be very hard to find a replacement who's as good as Anquan Boldin. To sum it up, the Ravens won't be nearly as good this year as they were last year, but they'll still be good. However, I don't see them winning another Super Bowl anytime soon, there are much better teams out there. Also, I'm also a Ravens fan, but I'm not scared to look at the truth.

Lol... the Ravens' defense was ranked below league average last season. The defense was old and underperforming, and was time to move players that we can replace pretty easily to clear cap space for the signings that matter. And Reed isn't irreplaceable performance-wise... legacy-wise, yes, but I'd rather have a player who is younger and isn't oft-injured at this point. Don't forget all the draft picks we're getting by the trades/signings and the NFL Draft upcoming - the Ravens can still target defense and maybe a receiver or two, but the receivers aren't an issue even without Boldin - Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones are still there, and it's time to develop young guys like Tandon Doss and Dennis Pitta (if he stays, which he should). Don't forget we still have one of the best pass-catching running-backs in the league. I see plenty of upside with this rejuvenated Ravens team.

As much as I dont like Romo,
I think I'd definately take him over my teams QB.
I absolutely hate Josh Freeman. I really hope this is
the last chance The Bucs will give him this year...

Back