OLD: The Fake Card Resources and Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Fake Card Resources and Help (Ask questions, post blanks, etc.)

Hey all you guys and girls, what do you use to make fake cards? What program?

I personally use Photoshop CS4 and CS5. Photoshop is considered to be the best program for faking. However it can be pricy at 699 USD. The best alternative is GIMP. It is free and is pretty much like Photoshop and is not advanced as Photoshop. You can download Gimp here

I have heard of a Photoshop program called Photoshop Portable, an Adobe created free program which seems to you don't need to install in order to use making it legit. However I don't know much about that.

o_O. Lol i tried Gimp but its so UGH! Do you know anygood tuts?

I'm not sure about GIMP tutorials as I've never used it. Can GIMP open .psd files? If so, you should try using the font guides.

Anyway if they are of any use to anyone, I've posted links to some general Photoshop tutorials on the front page - while they're not directly faking related, they may be adaptable to make some kickarse backgrounds.

^
No, GIMP cannot open .psd files. I'm not sure whether GIMP has it's own specific file type. I don't it has seeing that there is not even one font or symbolsheet for GIMP :/

Actually, Gimp CAN open PSD files, but the layer types are all rasterized. That means that all of the text layers are regular layers, so you can edit the text. I think Gimp does have its own type of file, but I'll have to check.

^GIMP's default file type is XCF.

As far as I know, however, you can't save a file as XCF in Photoshop. I'm pretty sure I've tried...
If anyone wants to make a font guide for GIMP users, they'll have to use GIMP.

or a PNG with the font names perhaps?

^The file would have to be a very large file, since there are 493 names (not counting the 150+ new Pokemon). When a new set comes out and the font changes, yeah. It's possible, but I'm not sure if someone will be willing to invest their time in it.

I don't think that's what the Latioso meant, it seems more like he meant a PNG font guide which is shaped like a card, just saying what's Gill Sans, Futura etc. so you would just put fresh text over it, then hide the layer when you're done.

I actually tried that yesterday, but since I don't know GIMP, I could edit every part of the text. (width, height, etc)

So, can't one of us download GIMP and make a font guide for them GIMP users? :p

I have a copy of GIMP on my system but it always takes ages to open and to be honest I can't be arsed. I've been asking around at tech forums to see if there's a way to open a file in GIMP without the text layers being rasterized. If I get any responses I'll get back to you guys :D

If nothing can be done, would you guys prefer it if I wrote a tutorial for placements like how Fang did for the EX cards?

I'm sure generous member would make a GIMP tutorial. *Directs eyes at Aki*

If not, I'll do one :p

Well if I make a placements tutorial then it can be general and people can use it for any software.

If I do make any tutorials, what are the priorities? EON? HGSS? BW?

The most priority these days are HGSS and BW.
That's what most GIMP users do normally anyway (I have some friends who do that :p)

For some reason, after some experience they switch to EON and EX series. Mostly, the basic is HGSS. BW is yet to spread the mania fully ;)

I think HGSS should come first, since we know the fonts and their placements more well than with the BW fakes.

I think it is impossible to do a font guide. I mean most of the fonts on HGSS and BW have different Width/Height and you can only change it after you rasterize your text, so what we can do is, like Flamable said (yeah, mah nickname ;)) make an image with placements and fonts and then everyone would guide themselves from there on.

Here you go folks. Might not be the best but as a guide it should do the job :D

HGSS Font Guide
NAME FONT: This is the Pokémon’s name. As in, Bulbasaur or something. On a Basic Pokémon, this should be 8px up from the ‘Basic’ tab and 23px to the right of the edge of the card border – but if you are making an evolution card, you’ll still want to be 8px up, just put the text 4px to the right of the white edge of the evo circle. The font you want here is Gill Sans (Std) Bold, size 28.04 at 88% width.

HP FONT: The number part should be Futura (Std) Heavy, size 24.04 at 100% width. This should be just 2px to the left of the type symbol. As for the ‘HP’ text itself, this should be 2px to the left of the number. Make sure it’s Gill Sans MT Bold, size 12 at 68% width.

‘EVOLVES FROM’ TEXT: Frutiger LT (Std) Bold Italic, size 8, 100% width. The text should be 4px up from the bottom of the tab, and the left of the ‘E’ should roughly line up with the little curvy part from the Stage tab.

STATS [this part: NO. ### (Nickname) Pokémon HT: 0’00” WT: 0.0 lbs.]: This should be Frutiger LT (Std) Roman, size 9, 101% width. From a horizontal view this will need to be centred. From a vertical view it should be 4px up from the bottom of the bar.

Now the fun parts. Maybe.

POKÉPOWER/POKÉBODIES: The symbol should be 19px to the right of the card border. The name should be another 19px to the right of the symbol, and should be Gill Sans Condensed Bold, size 24.04, with 92% width. As for colour, if it is a power use #98230f whereas if it is a body use #24662d.

ATTACK SYMBOLS: The leftmost symbol needs to be placed 19px to the right of the card border. Any additional symbols should be placed 3px to the right of the previous symbol.

ATTACK NAME + DAMAGE: The attack name should be Gill Sans Condensed Bold, size 25, 91% width. Now here’s the really fun part. If you want to ignore this and guesstimate the positions then fair enough, but here are the actual placements. If the attack has between 1 and 3 energy symbols, it should be 98px to the right of the border. If there are four energy symbols, it needs to be 124px to the right of the border. If it is a 5-energy attack, it should be 142px to the right of the border’s edge. Fun.

ATTACK/POWER/BODY DESCRIPTION: Gill Sans (Std) Regular, 105% width. As for the size, anything between 12 and 16 should be fine, adjust the size depending on how much text you have to fit in. The spacing between lines should be whatever the size is +1, so if your text size is 13.5, the line spacing should be 14.5. If your software allows it, justify the text in a text box. The text should start at 19px to the right of the card border.

FLAVOUR TEXT: Sanvito Pro Bold, size 10.5, 101% width. 3px down from the little line thing.

ILLUS. TEXT: You MUST put this on the card. 2px up from the bottom of the tab. This is Futura (Std) Medium Oblique (or Italic) at size 9 at 102% width.

W/R/RC:
- Weakness: Try to line the symbol up with the ‘akn’ part of the word weakness. The symbol should be 3px down from the text. The ‘x2’ text should be Futura (Std) size 14, 100% width. This should go 3px to the right of the symbol.
- Resistance: Try to line the symbol up with the ‘sta’ part of the word resistance. This symbol should go 3px down from the text and the ‘-??’ text shoul again be Futura (Std) size 14, 100% width. Put it 3px to the right of the symbol.
- RC: I can’t really explain this one properly, just try to make it look as centred as possible, 3px down from the text.

COPYRIGHT TEXT: Put this in the middle, 3px up from the card border. The font is Gill Sans (Std) Regular, size 10, 100% width.

RARITY: The symbol should be 3px up from the card border edge, and should allow enough space to fit in your set symbol. The text should be Futura (Std) Heavy Oblique (or Bold Italic), size 9, width 102%. Plonk this 3px up from the card border and about 3px to the left of your rarity symbol.

Enjoy faking HGSS cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back