PokéBeach Create-A-Card April 2013! Grats to Blui, AlexanderTheAwesome, and Fraxureking!

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
34hho9h.png

(credit to Xous for the banner because he's a boss like that)​

With 2013 now upon us, a whole new year, PokéBeach Create-a-Card comes back in a whole new incarnation! There will be 12 parts to this contest, one for each month of the year, and it will go over all types represented in the TCG!

We just had a bit of a rainy spell last month, and what naturally follows downpours? That's right - thunderstorms! Thus in April, it's now the Lightning-types to bask in the limelight, as it were, dazzling the sky with discharges of energy, touching the clouds - and our hearts too, in our contest! I would love to see what fun bits of electricity you all come up with this month!

~~~

There are two categories for this contest - text-based and image-based. Text-based entails you write up only the words present on the card, not the imagery - but don't forget anything; you need to supply all the words your card needs. Image-based means you have to create the entire card - images, flavor text, and all; appearances thus become quite important.

You are free to submit 1 entry in each category; you can compete in one or both, however, it's recommended you just pick 1 category, since sign-ups do fill fast! You may sign up when you please, but all entries are due Sunday, April 28th, 11.30pm, Pacific Time (GMT-8). Make sure your entry is in the thread by then! If I have seen your entry, I will put an asterisk (*) next to your name on the sign-up list. If you feel like you need to drop, do so ASAP so someone else may have your spot.

Also! Starting February 2013, if you're entering the image-based portion of the category, your card will require a set symbol to be on it - specifically, this set symbol, to be placed in the lower-right hand corner, where set symbols usually go. Credits go to our wonderful resident fake card artist [member]Nekoban Ryo[/member] for designing this lovely logo!

Here's the point breakdown...

--------
Text-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    We're all tired of effect-less attacks. Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based fakes is the creativity of Power/Body/Ability/attack effects. Let's see something cool!
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is also key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose; from Classic and Neo to EX, DP, and BW, wording has changed a lot, so be careful! Spelling is also taken into consideration.
    Total: 15 points
    ---
  3. Believability/Playability
    Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.

--------
Image-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    This should be a given. With the proper tools, let your imagination run wild! This can involve new gameplay mechanics, blanks, etc.
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is also key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose; from Classic and Neo to EX, DP, and BW, wording has changed a lot, so be careful! Spelling is also taken into consideration.
    ---
  3. Fonts and Placement
    Correct fonts are imperative when creating realistic fakes. Placement isn't quite as important, so long as the fonts/symbols/etc. are in the correct general area.
    Total: 10 points
    ---
  4. Believability/Playability
    Because this division of the contest is so image-heavy, the believability and playability takes a backseat here. However, it's still worth a portion of the total points, so try to keep it in the realm of believable! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.
    Total: 5 points

There you have it. Point breakdown is a little different in text-based versus image-based fakes, simply because there is such a visual shift in image-based fakes. As with any fake card, please be sure that when using others' artwork, you have explicit permission to use it (as per forum rules). Because the amount of effort needed to put into judging this competition, spots are limited. There will be a 12 person cap for each group, so sign up quick!

Try and have fun with this contest. Show off the talent that we have here at the 'Beach!

Deadline: Sunday, April 28th, 11.30pm, Pacific Time (GMT-8).

--------
Anticipated Participants
--------
[td] Image-Based:
  1. [member]Blui[/member] *
  2. [member]PMJ[/member] *
  3. [member]Bazinga001[/member] (dnf)
  4. [member]CorinthiansRose[/member] *
  5. [member]Arcticwhite[/member] *
  6. [member]Jasmine-Jalorda[/member] (dnf)
  7. [member]Delta Nite[/member] *
[/td][td] Text-Based:
  1. [member]Hegafire0[/member] *
  2. [member]Teal[/member] *
  3. [member]Bo$$_89[/member] *
  4. [member]MountainDrew[/member] *
  5. [member]Bisharp37[/member] (dnf) [member]Reggie McGigas[/member] *
  6. [member]AlexanderTheAwesome[/member] *
  7. [member]SheNinja[/member] *
  8. [member]Hydro Cannon[/member] (dnf) [member]Lugia123[/member] *
  9. [member]Flygon2071[/member] *
  10. [member]Delta[/member] *
  11. [member]The Fire Wyrm[/member] *
  12. [member]SirShaunicorn[/member] (dnf)
  13. [member]Keeper of Night[/member] *
  14. [member]Fraxureking[/member] *
  15. [member]Mora[/member] *
[/td]

Best of luck to all of you!

RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card April 2013!

Hooray, three for three :D

image-based pls

In for text-based.

Shouldn't April showers have brought May flowers? Text please

Shouldn't April showers have brought May flowers? Text please
kght why didn't I think of that. At least it actually DID rain a lot in March.
All of you are in.

This time I am in (for text-base)!

Electrode --- Lightning --- 90 HP
Evolves from Voltorb
Team Plasma

Ability: Energy Charging

When you play this Pokemon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokemon, you may look at the top 4 cards of your deck, choose as many [L] Energy cards as you like and attach them to your Pokemon in any way you want. Discard all other cards you find there. You may only use 1 Energy Charging per turn.

Explosion [L] [C] [C] 70 +

You may Knock Out this Pokemon, if you do, this attack does 70 more damage.

Weakness: [F] x 2

Resistance: none

Retreat Cost: 1

Pretty good for Lightning Pokemon. I used Electrode Prime and Roserade DRX wording for the ability. Landorus EX was used for the wording of the attack. Good acceleration. The "You may only use 1 Energy Charging per turn" is because it would be too good to use it on a Mewtwo or a Pokemon that needs to be powered up.

Gung ho-ing for a text based.

[L] Elekid 30 HP [sprite]239[/sprite]
Basic

Ability: Wire Walking
Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokémon by Pokémon-EX. This Pokémon cannot be affected by Special Conditions.

[-] Flee
Discard as many cards from your hand as you like, then draw cards until you have 6 cards in your hand.

Weakness: [F]
Resistance: [-]
Retreat: ---

This is definitely one of my favorites of the year, making sure to put capitals in the right place. Also, I would like to point out that there isn't 12 tcg types so how will the ending months work. I think we should do an ACE-SPEC, because I have an amazing stadium card idea. :p

Raikou 130 HP Lightning
Basic
Ability Lightning Rod
If your opponent uses any Abilities from any of his or her Pokemon. During your next turn this Pokemon's attacks do 50 more damage.

{L},{L},{C} Thunderhead 130
Discard all energy attached to this pokemon.

Weakness: {F} x2
Resistence: {M} -20
Retreat: -------

Here's my card for the month.

Boop.

Magneton 90 HP {L}
Stage 1 (evolves from Magnemite)

{L}{L} Zapp 50
Discard 1 Energy attached to this Pokémon. This attack's damage isn't affected by Weakness, Resistance or any other effects on the Defending Pokémon.

{L}{L}{M} Overload 90
Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 30 damage to 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. If tails, this attack does 30 damage to 1 of your Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: {F} x2
Resistance:{W} -20
Retreat: {C} {C}

This is the most TCG relatable thing I have ever done on the Pokemon TCG website.

Back