XY Pokémon VG General Discussion - Locked: Please Create A New Topic For Anything You'd Like To Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Pokemon Rumored To Be Retyped As Fairy

Frezgle said:
Mitja said:
explain "Shooting star=steel".
It makes 0 sense to me, and just saying its obvious isn't an argument when clearly it's not obvious (otherwise there wouldn't be a discussion about it).

Meteorites are often made out of iron and/or other metals. The Steel type doesn't just refer to steel itself; it's a catch-all for metals in general, just like how the Grass type encompasses all plant/fungal life and not just grass. Aron's family, for example, seems to be iron-plated.
Jirachi's design doesn't make it obviously a Steel type, but neither do Scizor's or Mawile's. d: Like some others have said, the Psychic type would make more sense to replace (especially since it's the secondary type).
But, it's a legendary, so I'd be very surprised if they did anything to it.

Its debatable what ores and metals would count more as being covered by Steel than Rock.
Aron doesn't clarify (actually makes it all even more confusing) this due to it also being a Rock type at the same time. And the fact its specifically about iron might just as well be a result of it being Rock type instead of just pure Steel for all we know. Altho type names are usually simple vague easy terms, I believe it is crucial that its called the Steel type and not the Metal type.
But nevermind pokemon who actually have armors, we're talking about the composition of something that relates to Jirachis origin, not Jirachis design itself. I mean, even if that reasoning made sense (that meteor implies Steel type), that would only explain why any actually meteor-like pokemon would be Steel.

I'd be surprised if they change any type of any pokemon, besides ADDING Fairy to single types, or at most replacing Normal.

Frezgle said:
Meteorites are often made out of iron and/or other metals. ...

Aren't solrock and lunatone also meteorites accorfing to their pokedex entries?

Rock type

Food for thought.

Now that I think about it, the psychic type is often used to represent outer space and all that stuff (cosmic power; deoxys, the first truly alien pokemon; elgyem and beeheyem, more traditional alien pokemon) and possibly jirachi's procedence or it's source of powers. If that were to be the case, then the fairy type would be unfounded, and psychic IS the right type after all.

Jakeremix said:
On a side note, as much as I hope for pokemon like Snorunt and and Misdreavus to be retyped, we really do need all the pure ghosts and ice-types we can get.

I don't particularly care if Snorunt or Glalie (Glalie works better as dark if you ask me) are retyped or not, but I am hoping for Misdreavus and Mismagius to be given the Fairy type. I love how all the current dual type ghost pokemon have unique type combinations (excluding Spiritomb and Sableye)

This would just add another unique one to the list! And we still have the Duskull, Shuppet, and Yamask lines to remain pure ghost.

I'm hoping we get Misdreavus as ghost/fairy, and then another line that is grass/ghost.

professorlight said:
Frezgle said:
Meteorites are often made out of iron and/or other metals. ...

Aren't solrock and lunatone also meteorites accorfing to their pokedex entries?

Rock type

Food for thought.

Now that I think about it, the psychic type is often used to represent outer space and all that stuff (cosmic power; deoxys, the first truly alien pokemon; elgyem and beeheyem, more traditional alien pokemon) and possibly jirachi's procedence or it's source of powers. If that were to be the case, then the fairy type would be unfounded, and psychic IS the right type after all.

Lets get scientific for a moment. He is undoubtedly based off a shooting star.
What is a shooting star? It's a falling meteoroid from an asteroid or comet. To set your solrock/lunatone argument to rest, they are known as the meteorite pokemon because they fall to earth INSIDE them. When it cracks open they come out. They are not the actual meteoroid and for all we know could be composed of totally unrelated matter. HOWEVER, Jirachi is a direct representation of the meteoroid itself. Thus, he would have the characteristics and type accordingly. He is based off the asteroid type because the comet type is made of ice which he is not/has no relation to/is ridiculous. The asteroid type is classified into 3 groups: C-type, S-type, and M-type. All three contain some type of metal, and the last type is even called the Metallic type for Pete's sake. As a result, Jirachi has his steel type. And if you are still not convinced about solrock and lunatone, then think about this. Gamefreak could have designed them off the S-type (stone type) and Jirachi off the M-type (this is another thing that explains why the first two are rock and Jirachi steel). So, if you REALLY THINK ABOUT IT, Jirachi is steel because of what he is based on, composed of, and his appearance. He is psychic because he has the ability to grant wishes (something he was designed with because of his relation to shooting stars which gives the steel type) and can talk. His origin of space gives credit to both types. So really he can't have one without the other and probably shouldn't change at all.

^Granting wishes sounds more like something a fairy would do... I honestly think Jirachi should be Steel/Fairy but I know that's unlikely to happen...

kayko said:
-jiraichi (loosing its pointless steel type / looking like a fairy princess)

If jiriachi lost its steel type, what would happen to Doom Desire?

Do you really want to know the reasoning behind Jirachi's typing? Here's the reasoning: It's GameFreak.

From what I can tell, pretty much every argument on here is valid. Meteors have metal, therefore Jirachi, being based on a shooting star should be a Steel-type. Jirachi grants wishes. That's a fairy-like characteristic, therefore it should be a Fairy-type. It's from space and many celestial Pokémon such as Solrock, Lunatone, Elgyem, and Beheeyem are Psychic-type, therefore Jirachi is a Psychic-type. It's basically the Stunfisk debate all over again. Water-, Electric-, and Ground-type fit it. GameFreak chose the types it wanted for it for whatever reason. A Pokemon can only have two types. And because of this, seeing as Steel/Psychic fits Jirachi's characteristics, I doubt it will change. It was fine the way it was B.F.E. (Before Fairy Era) and it's fine D.F.E. (During Fairy Era)

Anyway, I think GameFreak will leave the legends alone. They're too important to change. Although, I'd be very happy with the replacement of Meloetta's Normal-typing with the Fairy-type.

AdamLambert said:
Jirachi grants wishes. That's a fairy-like characteristic, therefore it should be a Fairy-type.

But he grants wishes because he's a shooting star. Not because he's a fairy. But i see what your saying. In a sense, each aspect of a pokemon has two things to it: Why it has it and how it has it. For granting wishes, the why could be shooting star (steel). The how could be fairy OR psychic.

AdamLambert said:
It's basically the Stunfisk debate all over again. Water-, Electric-, and Ground-type fit it. GameFreak chose the types it wanted for it for whatever reason.

I wasn't around for the Stunfisk debate, but it sounds like a load of crap. You can tell right away that Ground/Electric fits it. It's a mudfish (which is a Ground type element), and it has Electrical powers. So Ground/Electric fits. Just because it swims doesn't mean it has a connection to Water.

AdamLambert said:
A Pokemon can only have two types. And because of this, seeing as Steel/Psychic fits Jirachi's characteristics, I doubt it will change.

Maybe those two types fit it, but not that exact combination. Pokemon have a stronger connection to their primary type than their secondary type, but Jirachi doesn't. So primary Steel makes no sense. It's a secondary Steel type at best.

Ohman177 said:
But he grants wishes because he's a shooting star. Not because he's a fairy. But i see what your saying. In a sense, each aspect of a pokemon has two things to it: Why it has it and how it has it. For granting wishes, the why could be shooting star (steel). The how could be fairy OR psychic.

Its wish granting abilities aren't because of its body composition. It's because of its supernatural connection to the Millenium Comet. The "why" and the "how" behind Jirachi's abilities are the same.

Frezgle said:
Mitja said:
explain "Shooting star=steel".
It makes 0 sense to me, and just saying its obvious isn't an argument when clearly it's not obvious (otherwise there wouldn't be a discussion about it).

Meteorites are often made out of iron and/or other metals. The Steel type doesn't just refer to steel itself; it's a catch-all for metals in general, just like how the Grass type encompasses all plant/fungal life and not just grass. Aron's family, for example, seems to be iron-plated.
Jirachi's design doesn't make it obviously a Steel type, but neither do Scizor's or Mawile's. d: Like some others have said, the Psychic type would make more sense to replace (especially since it's the secondary type).
But, it's a legendary, so I'd be very surprised if they did anything to it.

Steel is mostly made from iron...

Bolt the Cat said:
AdamLambert said:
A Pokemon can only have two types. And because of this, seeing as Steel/Psychic fits Jirachi's characteristics, I doubt it will change.

Maybe those two types fit it, but not that exact combination. Pokemon have a stronger connection to their primary type than their secondary type, but Jirachi doesn't. So primary Steel makes no sense. It's a secondary Steel type at best.

I don't agree at all... I think Jirachi fits better as a Steel-type than as a Psychic-type... Primary Steel makes total sense due to its Comet/Meteorite origin.
In fact, that's what they should have done with Celebi and Victini... Grass/Psychic and Fire/Psychic, not the other way around...

Metalizard said:
Bolt the Cat said:

I don't agree at all... I think Jirachi fits better as a Steel-type than as a Psychic-type... Primary Steel makes total sense due to its Comet/Meteorite origin.
In fact, that's what they should have done with Celebi and Victini... Grass/Psychic and Fire/Psychic, not the other way around...

And I'd disagree on those two (meaning their official order fits imo), Celebi is most of all a time-traveller, and if it wasn't for the green color, its forest connection is kind off on the side.
As for Victini, I understood that it's concept is that of an infinite source of energy which sounded like Psychic to me, and the way it vents/materializes this energy is as the fire element. Basically its one of those cases where both types are 100% crucial to its concept, just that one follows the other (using Psy to make Fire).

Metalizard said:

The metallic nature of shooting stars isn't what influences Jirachi's design and theme as much as it is their cosmic power. That has more to do with Psychic or Fairy. The only true connection Jirachi has to Steel is its metallic body (which isn't evident in its design or spoken about in Pokedex data anywhere near as much as its wishmaking powers) and the handful of Steel type attacks it can learn (which isn't necessarily a strong correlation to Steel type). You can look at it any way you want, Steel is not a fitting primary type for Jirachi at all, its primary should be either Psychic or Fairy.

@Mitja and Bolt: Like, Dialga also travels and even controls time. Is it Psychic? Nope... Ability to travel through time has nothing to do with being Psychic... nor does providing infinite energy... nor granting wishes... The Psychic-type is about the mind and having related ablities like ESP, Telekinesis, Telepathy, Mind control, etc.

You may not count anime and TCG, but in both of those medias, Celebi and Victini are recognized more by their secondary type than for their Psychic-type...

Hence why I think Celebi and Victini should be Fairy-type instead of Psychic... Same for Jirachi and in THAT case, I'd agree on Steel as a secondary-type... What happens is they only came up with the Fairy-type now and have been using Psychic as a substitute for these kind of pokémon for years, but now that they created the type, they won't most likely re-type them either because they're (event) legendaries or simply because they're too conservative...

It's a whole culture thing. When people see shooting stars, they make a wish. He is based off a shooting star, he can grant wishes. Shooting star is made of metal, he is steel type. Idk we can agree to disagree really cause this has kind of gotten out of hand.

Ohman177 said:
It's a whole culture thing. When people see shooting stars, they make a wish. He is based off a shooting star, he can grant wishes. Shooting star is made of metal, he is steel type. Idk we can agree to disagree really cause this has kind of gotten out of hand.

Shooting stars aren't typically portrayed as metal in cultural references either.

Bolt the Cat said:
Ohman177 said:

Shooting stars aren't typically portrayed as metal in cultural references either.

The culture is only for the wish granting aspect. The scientific part gives steel. But really this should prob end and we should move on to a new topic.

The cultural aspect is all that matters in Jirachis case, I still don't get why you keep bringing up that meteors are made of metals.

Everything would be wrong with Solrock and others then.

I really don't think Jirachi will get retyped, not because its current typings are super correct or important or anything, but mostly because I just don't see them rearranging the types a legendary. Adding a type, maybe (I could see Fairy added to Mew and the Lake Trio, for example), but not removing one.

Mitja said:
The cultural aspect is all that matters in Jirachis case, I still don't get why you keep bringing up that meteors are made of metals.

Everything would be wrong with Solrock and others then.

I already explained solrock and lunatone if you'd care to look through what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back