Rogue Deck Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a blast with Gallade / Ho Oh on PTCGO. Despite the coin flip, it had a lot going for it. I wonder how well it would fare this new format.

I've also done "Big basics + overlooked stage 1 line":
>Mewtwo / Landorus / Lucario (Hurricane Kick): Attack with EX's early game when they get knocked out and your opponent gets enough prizes, send up Lucario for big damage. I still think this could do well in the format. No catcher should actually help the deck more than it hurts it (they can't catcher around your EX's). It struggled against plasma Klang, but I don't think that's much of a thing any more.

>Bouffalant / Mewtwo / Toxicroak: Go Rambo with Mewtwo. When they counter with a Deoxys or Mewtwo of their own, kill that with Toxicroak... for one energy. Bouffalant is there for backup.

pokedan24 said:
I had a blast with Gallade / Ho Oh on PTCGO. Despite the coin flip, it had a lot going for it. I wonder how well it would fare this new format.

I've also done "Big basics + overlooked stage 1 line":
>Mewtwo / Landorus / Lucario (Hurricane Kick): Attack with EX's early game when they get knocked out and your opponent gets enough prizes, send up Lucario for big damage. I still think this could do well in the format. No catcher should actually help the deck more than it hurts it (they can't catcher around your EX's). It struggled against plasma Klang, but I don't think that's much of a thing any more.

>Bouffalant / Mewtwo / Toxicroak: Go Rambo with Mewtwo. When they counter with a Deoxys or Mewtwo of their own, kill that with Toxicroak... for one energy. Bouffalant is there for backup.

I've been testing Lucario as well and it's pretty strong, but it takes too much to set up and is easily killed by a Mewtwo :(.

^Yeah, the deck frequently came down to Mewtwo wars. That's where lasers really helped (and the snipe damage from Lando, CURSE YOU MR MIME!). I also ran Scramble Switch as the Ace Spec which helped launch big attacks when it mattered.

With Toxicroak, I'm thinking of cutting the Bouffalants and Catchers and running a Garbador line (screws with Plasma and Blastoise).

I play the TCGO, and a deck that I have been having moderate success with is Split Vanilluxe/Tornadus EX/Kyurem EX. you run 4-2-4 on the Vanilluxe line, with 2 Enefountain and 2 Chillmax Vanilluxe each, 2 Tornadus EX from Dark Explorers, and one copy of the Plasma Tornadus EX, a Plasma Kyurem, and a promo Kyurem EX.Having 2 or 3 Plasma Cryogonal ensures a playable opening hand and is nice to send out when your opponent starts slowly. You run 4 of Aspertia Gym to win the stadium wars and run a high energy count, maybe 11-12 water and 4 DCE. Cilan and Energy Retrieval are important for this as well. The point is to set up one Tornadus with the Aspertia Gym and hit for 60 damage turn 1, then start hitting for 100 on turn 2 while you set up one of each Vanilluxe on the bench. Everything else in the deck is pretty much just backup with that strategy. A second strategy is to try to turn 2 Enefountain Vanilluxe, get your bench full and drop Cilans and load energies to your heart's content. I managed to beat a Darkrai/Hydreigon with this build, and even if it doesn't win, it manages to take a few prizes generally. Id really like to test it further against everything meta, but it seems to be a very consistent deck as far as never mulling in the beginning and giving you at least one normal and one EX to work with off rip. here's the basic list I use:

Pokémon-18
4 Vanilluxe ( 2 PLF, 2 PLS)
2 Vanillish ( PLF)
4 Vanillite ( PLF)
1 Kyurem ex ( BW 37)
1 Kyurem ( PLF)
2 Tornadus ex (DEX)
1 Tornadus ex (PLF)
3 Cryogonal (PLF)

Energies- 16
12 Water
4 Double Colorless

Trainers- 26
4 Rare Candy
3 Ultra Ball
3 Switch
3 Bicycle
3 Cheren
3 Great Ball
2 Escape Rope
2 Energy Retrieval
2 Professor Juniper
1 Life Dew ACE SPEC

That's just a skeleton list, I'm not even sure that's the exact trainer list. The whole deck was kind of a happy accident when I realized I had 2 locked Tornadus EX and I realized that putting them in a deck instead of letting them rot in cyberbinder jail for all eternity would probably be a good idea. If anyone wants to help me with this list, id be grateful for the suggestions. Also, I don't know if Klinklang/Cobalion is still considered meta? I wiped out a Blastoise Kyurem deck and went hard against a plasma deck (lost 2 games to 1). Seems to me like even though Klinklang was meta, a lot of people maybe forgot about it? It has a VEEERRRY favorable matchup against Tier 1 and could really be a frustrating deck with the right build.
TheElite711 said:
There has been a deck I've been toying around with, and the primary focus is the new Gallade from Legendary Treasures. The second attack has monstrous output when played right.
You should go Blastoise/Gallade and run Frozen City to get pandemonium blade set up with a deluge or 2. that would KO anything XD. Cacturne PLF works great also with the 1 grass-energy attack that damages your own bench. Sandslash also does well with Earthquake.

For rouge decks when the new set comes out I really love the idea of gorgeist / garbodor. Gorgeist has an attack that places damage counters on each Pokemon till each has 10HP left for 2 psychic energy. With a laser in between turn, that can turn into a KO. Garbodor is the because you don't run any abilities, and its a rogue deck. Oh also for virizion. The whole point of the deck is to win the prize exchange by knocking out high HP Pokemon, and using EXP share to power up another gorgeist when yours gets knocked out. What do you guys think? Is it a deck?

zavtac said:
For rogue decks when the new set comes out I really love the idea of gorgeist / garbodor. Gorgeist has an attack that places damage counters on each Pokemon till each has 10HP left for 2 psychic energy. With a laser in between turn, that can turn into a KO. Garbodor is the because you don't run any abilities, and its a rogue deck. Oh also for virizion. The whole point of the deck is to win the prize exchange by knocking out high HP Pokemon, and using EXP share to power up another gorgeist when yours gets knocked out. What do you guys think? Is it a deck?

It's really risky to me, Gourgeist put EACH Active Pokémon at 10HP, leaving you a Tackle away from KO.

It really reminds me of Raticate, though I could see why you might want to use Gourgeist instead.

RE: Rogue Decks that can beat Meta Decks!

MountainDrew said:
Ive been playing Lucario / Cofagrigus / Landorus EX / Mewtwo EX. Basically you want to Six Feet Under to give your opponent a prize which boosts Lucario's Hurricane Kick and also makes N a more powerful card.

Or you could just drop Landorus / Mewtwo, run Gyarados LT, Blend WLFM, and Iris to really make it rogue..

Luispipe8 said:
zavtac said:
For rogue decks when the new set comes out I really love the idea of gorgeist / garbodor. Gorgeist has an attack that places damage counters on each Pokemon till each has 10HP left for 2 psychic energy. With a laser in between turn, that can turn into a KO. Garbodor is the because you don't run any abilities, and its a rogue deck. Oh also for virizion. The whole point of the deck is to win the prize exchange by knocking out high HP Pokemon, and using EXP share to power up another gorgeist when yours gets knocked out. What do you guys think? Is it a deck?

It's really risky to me, Gourgeist put EACH Active Pokémon at 10HP, leaving you a Tackle away from KO.

I think it might be regardless. You would have to be smart with your lasers, but there is always Life Dew to help you out. Plus the new Diggersby, which may as well be Sableye 2.0. I can see it becoming viable possibly. However I would still stick with Sableye to cycle the dew as long as it's legal. Just because Blend GRPD makes it playable.

RE: Rogue Decks that can beat Meta Decks!

skyla27 said:
MountainDrew said:
Ive been playing Lucario / Cofagrigus / Landorus EX / Mewtwo EX. Basically you want to Six Feet Under to give your opponent a prize which boosts Lucario's Hurricane Kick and also makes N a more powerful card.

Or you could just drop Landorus/Mewtwo, run Gyarados LT, Blend WLFM, and Iris to really make it rogue..

Luispipe8 said:

I think it might be regardless. You would have to be smart with your lasers, but there is always Life Dew to help you out. Plus the new Diggersby, which may as well be Sableye 2.0. I can see it becoming viable possibly. However I would still stick with Sableye to cycle the dew as long as it's legal. Just because Blend GRPD makes it playable.

Not just blend but rainbow us released also so that gives you 8 cards to use sableye with, also consider dowsing machine and team plasma trio to recycle lasers/ virbanks.

TheElite711 said:
There has been a deck I've been toying around with, and the primary focus is the new Gallade from Legendary Treasures.

Snip*

My main Pokemon line-up is:
3-3 Gallade (Legendary Treasures)
2-2 Reuniclus (it has Damage Swap)
2x Kyurem EX (PLB)
2x Ditto

In the XY set a Dugtrio with a cheap attack that damages the bench could work with this deck very well.
Maybe Gallade/Dugtrio?

I really hope this deck doesn't stay rogue for long. Now with Mr Mime on your bench with garbodor, and life dew to help, name a deck that has a positive matchup and prize exchange against this deck. Good luck (and don't call Pokemon catcher on me because no-one plays that). Also you would play 2 Shadow triad to get back the laser (we don't need virbank here).

Trevenant control, stalling with hammers and grunts. Also limiting the hand with red card. I'm a bit out of the loop but is there a good pokemon that discards to combo with red card?

ryter78 said:
Trevenant control, stalling with hammers and grunts. Also limiting the hand with red card. I'm a bit out of the loop but is there a good pokemon that discards to combo with red card?
I don't know about a pokemon but you could always red card the hooligans Jim and cass to discard down to 1 card :) this just screams Bad Deck Monday. :-D

zavtac said:
Now with Mr Mime on your bench with garbodor,

Good luck with that.

ryter78 said:

There's a Liepard (PLS) that reveals your opponent's hand and discards a Supporter there. (It also plays the effect of that Supporter on you.) I played it with 4 Ghetsis way back when as a fun sort of deck.

I was thinking of landorus/lugia/porygon-z rouge deck with a tech Genesect EX so I can use red signal to catcher and move the energy back to lugia to attack. Basic idea be use lando early game so soften everything up an set up porygon then switch into lugia and finish the game with 3 KO's. Has anyone tried or seen or seen a deck like this?

Cortel II said:
ryter78 said:
I don't know about a pokemon but you could always red card the hooligans Jim and cass to discard down to 1 card :) this just screams Bad Deck Monday. :-D

How about Red Card + Ghetsis + Liepard PLS to just ruin hands. Of course, if they happen to draw 2 or more supporters off that Red Card the it doesn't really work but it's fun and them getting 2 or more supporters isn't that likely. It might be pretty strong with Garbo and support attackers actually.

ryter78 said:

In the same set, there's Malamar with Mental Thrash. It forces the opponent to flip four coins and they have to discard for each heads. Unfortunately, they get to choose the card they discard and I don't think you can combo it with fliptini as they are the ones that flip.

Then again, it is dark so it works well with sableye.

pokedan24 said:
In the same set, there's Malamar with Mental Thrash. It forces the opponent to flip four coins and they have to discard for each heads. Unfortunately, they get to choose the card they discard and I don't think you can combo it with fliptini as they are the ones that flip.

That might work with Red Card then Ghetsis and a back up attacker like Darkrai.

Mora said:
pokedan24 said:

That might work with Red Card then Ghetsis and a back up attacker like Darkrai.

Red Card/Ghetsis/Stoutland (BC) could also work. I've tried Stoutland/Ghetsis in the past and had some success (I'd say it's tier 3 at worst). Red Card should make it a little better.

I'm really liking this Gorgeist card with the eerie singing voice attack. One energy, 20 to everything, and it bypasses Mr Mime. Soul Scream/laser takes care of immediate threats and both attacks combo with Dusknoir. Lots of rogue deck potential there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back