Contest The Fakers' Marathon 4! Final Score: 464 Points!

Vaporeon (delta species) FAM4-CHM6.2.png
This is a tribute to the Eeveelutions in CardPone's Omnium: Frontiers Renewed... Flareon (delta species), a Fire/Lightning type, Jolteon (delta species), a Lightning/Colorless type, Espeon (delta species), a Psychic/Grass type, and Sylveon (delta species), a Fairy/Water type. I would assume that Vaporeon, Umbreon, Glaceon, and Leafeon were slated for future sets, however, since we don't know if any future Omnium sets will be made by CardPone, and since I took a couple of Vaporeon photos over the past summer, I figured now would be a good time to make one. I chose a yellow border because, well, it IS a tribute, after all. The typing was inspired by Vaporeon's shiny variant. On that topic, the Water- and Psychic-type blanks are actually CardPone's least favorite of the Omnium blanks (with Darkness and Steel being his favorite), but I still think that they both look great. I have been told that the Vaporeon would probably look better without the holosheet, but all the Omnium Frontiers Renewed Eeveelutions were holos, so I have to respect that when making this tribute. Maybe I'll make a reverse holofoil if I run out of energy before I can make a full ten cards. I can probably only justify giving myself a couple more hours to work on cards today, and of the remaining four cards, at least two are going to have holosheets that need chiseling. (The other two are going to be self-illustrated, but I'm not counting the illustrating process against my two hours.)
P.S. I didn't realize that Vaporeon was the "Bubble Jet" Pokémon until AFTER I had named one of its attacks Bubble Jet. Ironic? Yes. Coincidence? What does that word even mean?

This card is based off of Aerodactyl delta species from Holon Phantoms. It was basically the predecessor of our modern Eldegoss Evolving Skies, only it could only hunt up one basic Energy, not two. I had one in my cube for a while, until I was told that the effect was too weak. As someone who has played a TEU-EVS Blacephalon list with Eldegoss EVS with my brother on repeat, I considered making a Pokémon with an attack that followed similar principles to Blacephalon. This is the result. Also, take a few seconds to appreciate the public shaming in the Pokédex description. CardPone figured that the illustrator is probably either Mitsuhiro Arita or Kimiya Masag, based off of his comparison of the artwork to ex's from this era (in this case, Banette ex and Armaldo ex). But, thanks to Pokémon's poor track record for crediting the artists who make its promotional artwork, now we'll never know! (I'm not mad about it or anything, I just wrote the illus. credit description I did as a meme.)
This card is more of a meme than anything. I'm going to put the following information in a spoiler because it spoils some of Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. (Just in case anyone cares.)
In Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon you meet a group of characters called the Ultra Recon Squad, a volunteer group (or federal group? or corporate group? I don't know, at this point I was just using an adjective because it sounded cool) from a city called Ultra Megopolis located somewhere in Ultra Space. There are four known members of the Ultra Recon Squad; however, only two members of the Ultra Recon Squad come to Alola. You meet the other two later. In Ultra Sun (which I played), you meet Dulse, the guy in the trainer's frame, and Zozzie, who is either very short or is younger than the player (or both). Dulse appears to be the leader. Upon entering Alola he quickly becomes fascinated with Pokéballs, a technology which even his advanced civilization has not experimented with, and quickly makes up for lost time by constructing a Beast Ball using his personal technological expertise (evidently he didn't understand Pokémon world economics to just buy Pokéballs from a Pokémart. Although I'm not exactly sure where he would have gotten the money anyways). Although the Ultra Recon Squad has Pokémon partners of its own (Poipole, which you meet during your next encounter with the Ultra Recon Squad), Dulse tests the first (few, perhaps, given their catch rates?
:lavalul:
) Beast Ball(s) on a Furfrou, which he uses in what is presumably his first Pokémon battle ever (against the player). And you know what? You never see that Furfrou again!My theory is that they took it back to Ultra Megopolis, perhaps with a few other Pokémon (possibly including another Furfrou) that they presented to their fellow citizens back at home in the same way that all the old explorers used to bring back exotic treasures to show their royal sponsers/investors. The Pokédex entry says the rest. (And yes, I copied and pasted this directly from Discord, where I had already posted it. Copied and pasted it, emote and all.)
Apart from that, the only information of note is the fact that Furfrou's Ultra Trim is based 1) off of the idea that Furfrou is now an Ultra Beast, 2) based off of Furfrou's fur and Pokédex descriptions referring to it, and 3) is based off of the consistent Prize-card gimmick observed on Ultra Beasts in the official TCG. Oh, and making it an Ultra Beast was a change that took place much later in the process.
Do Pokémon BREAK count as full art cards according to the contest rules?
UPDATE #1:
This card took me minutes to make. I made this Swellow art for someone to use on a card in their set, but I painted Swellow with its back to the viewer, a big no-no for Pokémon cards. (custom or otherwise!) You can't even tell if it's a Taillow or a Swallow except by looking at the feather ruffles that I drew on its back after painting the artwork with watercolors! However, the artwork seemed too good to waste, so I decided that I wouldn't. As for the card effect, only being able to play the card between turns 1) makes the card more interesting, and b) makes it feel less like you're running a 56 card deck (the thing that bothers Nyan most about Judge Whistle).
I may or may not be adding another card before the end of the day. Depending on how much time I have this evening. Also, halfway towards my ten card goal and going into the running stretch! (In case you didn't realize, tomorrow's the last day, folks! So far, 46 cards have been posted. Here are some of the statistics, just because I was curious.
Grass types: 4
Fire types: 8
Water types: 5
Lightning types: 5
Psychic types: 3
Fighting types: 1
Darkness types: 5
Metal types: 3
Fairy: none!
Dragon: 2
Colorless: 4
Trainer: 9
Energy: none (not surprisingly)

Eras: I'll get to this later.
These are looking great! On the Trainer card, however, I'd like to ask that you fix the set symbol for it to be counted. It shouldn't have that black square around it.

These are looking great! On the Trainer card, however, I'd like to ask that you fix the set symbol for it to be counted. It shouldn't have that black square around it.
Whoops! That's the set symbol placement. I must have forgotten to add the symbol. (Probably because I somehow managed to put it inside the Omnium font pack.)
I'm just about to start on another Omnium trainer, so now's a good time, and I saved the PSD, so it will be a really quick fix.
EDIT: I just realized that I did have the set symbol, I just forgot to delete the set symbol alignment. Oh well, it still looks ugly.
Sunset FAM4-CHM5.png
Sunset FAM4-CHM5-2.png
Well, here's my next card. I may follow this up with a Crobat Star, but I don't have it in me to crank out three more cards.
0.1 - Omnium Trainer Base-6.png
I'm surprised that Pokémon doesn't put stuffed Pokémon on tool cards more often. It seems like great untapped, unexplored design space. If you can turn a parasol into a tool, then you should definitely be able to turn a cuddly stuffed animal that brings comfort and solace to a Pokémon into a tool card. The baby blanket in the background adds to the child-like sense of the scene above. I wanted to use the Lapras here because it's far too top-heavy and un-Lapras-like to photograph and pass off as a Lapras (although that hasn't stopped me from trying). I originally had restricted it by making it prevent the Pokémon it was attached to from attacking, but then I just decided to turn it into an ACE SPEC. I used Omnium, but messed around with some of the settings to get what you see here. Here is the information, in case you want to try it yourself.
"I achieved the appearance here by using the default holosheet, GX stripe, and silver border for the border, setting the "tan plaque" layer to "darken 100", putting the darkness type texture over the background set at "overlay 60", and putting Metagross's Diamond and Pearl Holosheets 1 and 2 over that, setting Holosheet 1 at "color dodge 35" and Holosheet 2 at "linear burn 65." I like the way all that looks. I'm just not sure about the rulebox."
I know that ACE SPECs have a special rule box, but I couldn't seem to find one anywhere in Omnium (maybe I deleted it by accident?), so I just added it to the item card description. I hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
FNq7Kpw.png

KPFM4-1_Alolan_Ninetales_BOND.png
KPFM4-2_Mega_Camerupt_BOND.png
KPFM4-3_Gigantimax_Duraludon_BOND.png
KPFM4_4_Eelektross_BOND.png
KPFM4_5_Cacturne_BOND.png
So I totally meant to do more, but I didn't get started until tonight, as I was with family until this morning. Still, I'm maxing the value on these babies by revisiting my BOND mechanic. I actually think doing Rainbow stuff with these in the future is the way to go, though maybe I'll get a better artist next time (this is about my level of ability; at least you can tell what Pokémon they are).

Sooooooo

I'm creatively dead at the moment. Cannot muster much out of me other than some very basic stuff, so enjoy some cards themed after The Binding of Isaac characters.

CW for religious themes and blood stuff. No images, just text fakes :)
Azazel - HP 100
Basic

**__/Ability__/** - Lord of the Pit
If this Pokémon attacks and it has no damage counters on it, prevent all effects, including damage, done to this Pokémon until the end of your turn.

:d_::d_: - Blood Barrage 160
This Pokémon does 90 damage to itself.

Weakness - :l_: x2
Resistance - :f_: -20
RC - none
Tainted Azazel - HP 100
Basic

:c_: - Hemoptysis 10
This attack does 10 damage to each of your opponent’s benched Pokemon *(Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)*

:d_::d_: Brimstone Curse
This attack does 100 damage to 1 of your opponent’s Pokemon that has any damage counters on it. *(Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)*

Weakness - :l_: x2
Resistance - :f_: -20
RC - :c_:
Judas - HP 80 :c_:
Basic

**__/Ability__/** - Belial Incarnate
This Pokemon is a :d_: Pokémon in addition to its existing types and it takes 50 less damage from attacks *(after applying Weakness and Resistance)*. If this Pokemon is damaged by an attack *(even if it is Knocked Out)*, the Attacking Pokemon is now Burned.

:c_: - Betrayal 60
This attack does 20 damage to 1 of your Benched Pokemon. If damage from this attack Knocks Out 1 of your Benched Pokemon, put 3 damage counters on each of your opponent’s Pokemon.

Weakness - :f_: x2
Resistance - none
Tainted Judas - HP 90 :d_:
Basic

**__/Ability__/** - Dark Arts
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is on your Bench, you may discard all cards attached to this Pokémon and attach it to 1 of your Pokémon as a Pokémon Tool card. The Pokemon this card is attached to takes no damage from attacks. If this card is attached to a Pokémon, put 13 damage counters on it and discard this card at the end of your opponent’s turn.

Resistance - :p_: -20
Isaac - HP 100
Basic

:c_: - The D6
Shuffle an Item card from your hand into your deck. Then, search your deck for an item card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

:c_::c_: - Isaac’s Tears 100

Resistance - none
Tainted Isaac HP 100
Basic

**__/Ability__/** - More Options, Less Room
At the beginning of your turn, instead of drawing a card, look at the top 2 cards of your deck, put one into your hand, and shuffle the other into your deck. At the end of your turn, discard cards from your hand until you have 8 or less.

:c_::c_: - Broken Tears 80+
If this Pokemon has any damage counters on it, this attack does 40 more damage.

Resistance - none

And that's a wrap everyone! Thank you to everyone who participated! Stay tuned for the results!

Well guys, this was my first fakers marathon, and I really enjoyed it! I would like to thank CardPone for developing Omnium and sharing it with the public! Omnium is a spectacular tool for fakers who can't make up their minds what eras or mechanics they want to focus on, is unbelievably convenient thanks to well-grouped layers that make placement a breeze, looks great with almost anything (including art that just doesn't feel right to me on official templates because it doesn't look like any official artist's style), and because of the near-comprehensive range of gimmicks and mechanics! In fact, I have a hard time imagining myself making cards using official templates because of the level of font-checking and placement-checking involved. (Which may be a sign that I need to branch out.) As for my custom template, my Omnium-based, e-card inspired template, I keep planning to get back to working on it and not actually getting back to work on it. Taking some time to make cards with Omnium may be the inspiration that I need, but at the very least I should probably tidy up what I have and make it available. I was sick for most of last week, so I didn't get done much of what I was planning to do, but it was nice to just stop and rest after a busy year. And then I had fun participating in the Fakers Marathon, during which I had fun creating cards and learning new techniques. Which brings us back to the Fakers Marathon. I saw cards representing most major official eras, a variety of official and unofficial mechanics, and a slew of both image and text fakers pouring out their creativity. I saw Pokemon delta species, multiprize Pokemon, Pokemon Lv. X, full arts, custom types, fakemon, and a variety of other mechanics. Half the fun of participating has been seeing the cards that the other participants have been making. Happy New Year, everyone. This has been a spectacular opportunity, and I am thankful for it.

Apologies for the delay, everyone! But the results are in! This year's Fakers' Marathon came in with a whopping 464 points! The user that brought us the most points as well as most cards was PMJ with 141 points and 17 cards! Those points really stacked up with all those full-art trainers with custom gimmicks! The cards worth the most points were Kaleidophoenix's Pokémon-BOND cards, which ticked all the boxes for the maximum of 15 points! Congratulations!

As for our goal, we fell just barely short; last year's marathon amassed a humungous 493 points, while this year we were were 29 points from the mark. Nevertheless, this was still a massive success, and we still beat the first two years by a landslide! Stay tuned next year for The Fakers' Marathon 5!

All the cards have been added to this list linked in the opening post. I'll no longer be updating the cards within the post itself as of this contest as the spreadsheet is much easier to use and has way more information.

Back